Expelled no questions asked at Don Muang

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The IO's seem extremely overzealous in this case. I can't see what the Op did wrong, he had a Visa a return flight and cash... He's met all the requirements. 

He didn't!  He had been living here on the basis of being a tourist when he was not a tourist, that does not meet the requirements.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed, tourist VISA but not a tourist, doesn't matter how much money you carry, you need to have the right VISA. That's no excuse for writing 'insufficient funds' on his passport though, they should have written 'wrong VISA'.

What other Visa options are available to the Op? All I can think of is the Thai Elite visa. 

If you are under 30 yrs old and don't want to marry a Thai, but you want to be in Thailand for extended periods of time your Visa options are extremely limited. 

In my Early 30's the Thai Elite Option opened up for me, otherwise I'd have found staying here difficult.  I'm a consultant and my work is sometimes rotational, but sometimes sporadic and at times I've found myself in Thailand for 9months (the Elite Visa works for this), but, if I didn't have the Elite Visa what option is there?  I don't think there is one, back to back Tourist Visa's are clearly frowned upon, yet the only status I could get in Thailand is 'Tourist' - I would have had to return home to the UK. 

Thus: IF the Op was over 50 yrs old, he'd have no issues and could get a Retirement Visa (based on 800,000 baht seasoned in a Thai account). But, as he is under 50 yrs old he finds himself without simple Visa options and at the Whim of inconsistent immigration officers. 

It just seems Odd that he's not wanted here until he's 50 yrs old.

The only recommendation I have for the Op is to Get a Pre-Nup and Marry his GF (if she agrees) for the simplicity of a Visa, thus circumnavigating the uncertainty. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are under 30 yrs old and don't want to marry a Thai, but you want to be in Thailand for extended periods of time your Visa options are extremely limited. 

Waiver on entry ........ 30 days + 30 extension 2x a year, you ain't welcome longer.

Under 50, work, marry, or breed, or pay for an Elite if you ain't a tourist.

I came here on a one year non-o when I was 52, 120 pounds ' to look around Thailand'.

That option is no longer available.

Now I come here for 90 days on a non-o to look after my kids.

I've never had a Tourist VISA, and only 1 waiver on entry when I stayed 10 days.

Edited by BritManToo

6 hours ago, madmen said:

"but I have over 200,000 baht with me and more in Bitcoin"

dont blame thailand !

dont  laugh but   at  immigration today (Hua  Hin) the guy  said they thought I had  too  much money in my account as it  went up to 2.5  million not the 400k they were  looking for for my extension of stay???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Waiver on entry ........ 30 days + 30 extension 2x a year, you ain't welcome longer.

Only at land border crossings. By air there is not limit of visa exempt entries.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kannot said:

dont  laugh but   at  immigration today (Hua  Hin) the guy  said they thought I had  too  much money in my account as it  went up to 2.5  million not the 400k they were  looking for for my extension of stay???

They always pull that shit because you are on a marriage visa and its paperwork for them. They want you to use the retirement visa instead because they are lazy <deleted>.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They always pull that shit because you are on a marriage visa and its paperwork for them. They want you to use the retirement visa instead because they are lazy <deleted>.

I think they wanted him to pay an agent.

If he's got 2.5M he can clearly afford one, give the tight barsteward the run-around until he pays up is their mentality.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed, tourist VISA but not a tourist, doesn't matter how much money you carry, you need to have the right VISA. That's no excuse for writing 'insufficient funds' on his passport though, they should have written 'wrong VISA'.

They cannot do that. "Wrong visa" is not one of the listed reasons in Section 12 of the Immigration Act for denying entry. Nor will you find anything there about the immigration official being empowered to decide if a visa has been improperly issued to someone who should not qualify.

• Like 2

Just now, BritTim said:

They cannot do that. "Wrong visa" is not one of the listed reasons in Section 12 of the Immigration Act for denying entry. Nor will you find anything there about the immigration official being empowered to decide if a visa has been improperly issued to someone who should not qualify.

up to you, whenever I enter a foreign country, I repeat the reason I gave on the VISA/application.

I'm here to visit my son, end of, 'cos that's what I wrote on the Non-o application, and the entry form.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

up to you, whenever I enter a foreign country, I repeat the reason I gave on the VISA/application.

I'm here to visit my son, end of, 'cos that's what I wrote on the Non-o application, and the entry form.

I wonder if you are going to accept the immigration official's decision when they eventually decide you are visiting your son too often, and should get the correct visa for spending so much time in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I wonder if you are going to accept the immigration official's decision when they eventually decide you are visiting your son too often, and should get the correct visa for spending so much time in Thailand.

There's no limit on the time you can visit your son with a non-o (beyond the 90 days).

And if they impose a limit, he can visit me in Cambodia.

Or I could try for a 1 year extension (40k/month income).

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Nope but they include a meal and charge 840 baht per day. 

Yes, a number of people in your situation have stated that they had to pay 800 Baht for accommodation!!

One person said they refused to pay 800 Baht to be locked in a stinking room when she had committed no crime and the Thai officer was angry and she was taken immediately airside to the gate to await her flight out.

Good luck in Laos. I think you might be able to go straight to Nong Khai tonight.

Edited by Briggsy

If any problem re-entering Laos, opt for Malaysia (KL or Penang) as your next stop.  The Malaysian authorities don't respect what Thailand is doing to visitors, and have even been reported to apologize to those returned there from Thai airports.  From there, easy to enter by-train through Pedang Besar, on to to Hat Yai, and fly onward domestic.

Hopefully they just cancel your exit stamp, and you can take a taxi to the bridge to Nong-Khai.

• Like 1