Expelled no questions asked at Don Muang

29 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The rules are unclear and the contradictory behaviour of different ministries (MFA vs Immigration) and different locations under the same department suggests a completely arbitrary set of decisions.

The worst of it is that he was denied entry for a bogus reason. At Don Muang, at least, it appears the immigration officials can now decide to deny entry whenever they feel like it, and just write Section 12 (2) on a form (with the real reason for the denied entry never needing to be disclosed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The worst of it is that he was denied entry for a bogus reason. At Don Muang, at least, it appears the immigration officials can now decide to deny entry whenever they feel like it, and just write Section 12 (2) on a form (with the real reason for the denied entry never needing to be disclosed).

Even though I totally agree with your sentiment and most of your post, I would classify section 12 (2) as a "catch-all" rather than a "bogus" reason for all non-means-tested permissions to stay i.e. SETV and visa exempt and also VOA.

However, there have been reports of METV's, Non-Imm O-A's and Retirement Extensions being questioned. All of these are means-tested. This is where you are definitely in "bogus" territory.

• Like 1

200k is a lot of cash to be carrying around. Most tourists use a combination of cash and cards.

Could such a large cash amount have made them suspicious that they were ill-gotten gains, or otherwise 'untouristlike' behaviour?

Edited by dbrenn
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised they're "deporting" you back to Vientiane.  Who's paying for the flight, and how does Thai immigration know you'll be able to enter Laos without an onwards ticket?  Are you sure there isn't an arrest warrant out for you there?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The rules are unclear and the contradictory behaviour of different ministries (MFA vs Immigration) and different locations under the same department suggests a completely arbitrary set of decisions.

No, the rules regarding how many times you may enter the country, and how long for, per year on a tourist visa are set out.  The fact that sometimes you might get away with it doesn't matter one bit.  If you got caught for speeding would you argue that you always speed, but got away with it on other occasions?

Edited by ballpoint
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I'm surprised they're "deporting" you back to Vientiane.  Who's paying for the flight, and how does Thai immigration know you'll be able to enter Laos without an onwards ticket?  Are you sure there isn't an arrest warrant out for you there?

I have to pay with the money they did not bother asking me to show. I'm not alone so the odds we both have an arrest warrant is slim. 

Edited by Tayaout

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

They ask nothing. I had 200,000 cash with me. 

200000 baht or equivalent in another currency?

If in baht, it's a small bag full of money!

Maybe it could have helped to show all that money to them, one way or another.

It's become more and more apparent that return-repeat Visitors to Thailand are being scrutinized on a whim... that is to say that the IO's a Don Muang are making snap decisions and as already implied making up bogus reasons to reject a visitor. 

These 'snap decisions' seem on the spot, based on their mood at the time or whether they like the look of you or not...  some regular visitors slide through without issue while others are stopped and rejected for a 'bogus' reason.

One thing is clear - IF You are a repeat visitor and have successive Visa Runs and Tourist Visa's you are never guaranteed entry, other Visa Options become more attractive.

I'm wondering at which point those under 50 who are unable to get a retirement visa come to some arrangement and marry a 'friend' for the sake of Visa simplicity and go the Type O route. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

He had over 200,000 baht in cash with him....

Are you sure (could be on a credit/debit card or in the bank), he also mentioned Bitcoins, hence my thoughts that he didn't have the money in cash. I could be wrong though.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I can understand but immigration rules are pretty confusing and no warning given. 

What's so confusing about the problem you created living in Thailand and having a tourist visa?  You had plenty of warning from the moment that you got your tourist visa.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Are they? I would love to see them. Can you reference them for me? Thanks.

The rules state that you may only stay on a tourist visa for 90 days in any 6 month period.  There has been some leniency on this in the past, but they have never been officially rescinded.  I would also suggest that anyone wanting to spend more than 3 months here out of every 6 is not a tourist and should look for an alternative visa option.  If I wanted to go and stay anywhere for an extended period, I would certainly read up on the visa requirements for that country before attempting to just take the easiest route.

The following comes from the US Embassy in Bangkok.  My italics:

If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must generally be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended at the discretion of an immigration officer once for an additional 30 days with the total period of stay no longer than 90 days

American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas. The U.S. Embassy advises all American citizens who wish to obtain a Thai visa to contact the Thai Immigration Bureau for exact visa requirements and regulations. Persons who do not comply with visa regulations risk being denied entry to Thailand at the border.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

And what had the guy done wrong? He clearly was no threat, had money to support himself, had reason to be here and is not from a country that would suggest he might be here to milk anything from the system.

"And what had the guy done wrong?"

He was trying to live here on a tourist/exempt visas.

"...had reason to be here..."

What justifiable reason was that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

"...it appears the immigration officials can now decide to deny entry whenever they feel like it..."

That's true, it's an IO's privilege and, regardless of whether 3rd parties see it as fair or not, the IO has the authority to do so.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Im aware of this and was planning to deposit the money needed in my Bangkok bank account for wedding visa next week. However if I knew that for some reason they would not let me back (with a real visa this time) then I would simply wait at the beach in Malaysia and not bother going to Vientiane then getting deported back there. 

"However if I knew that for some reason they would not let me back..."

Surely you mean, "however if I knew that they would catch on to my deliberately abusing the immigration system they would not let me back..."

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's become more and more apparent that return-repeat Visitors to Thailand are being scrutinized on a whim... that is to say that the IO's a Don Muang are making snap decisions and as already implied making up bogus reasons to reject a visitor. 

"...making up bogus reasons to reject a visitor".

Well, they're certainly giving reasons to reject bogus tourists, as is their prerogative!

• Like 2