Decent breakfast around Suk soi 8

Kenny202

I went to the new Zealand place on Monday was not greatly impressed,choose 7 items for 199baht,I had two fried eggs, bacon, tomato,toast,juice, coffee.Eggs bacon tomato they were ok bog standard,the toast was two thick slices of white bread,much two thick for toast and hardly browned at all,the juice! not sure what it was it was from a powder or a packet with a few bits of ice cube,the coffee was wet and warm that's the best I can say about it.Will not go back for breakfast again.

• Like 2

If you go into Muli's Bar on Soi 11 they have a buffet breakfast for I think 259 baht.

Whilst not "cheap", last time I was there a few months ago I had a "slight" hangover, so the cost of 3 coffees and 3 juices anywhere else would be more than that.

It serves as the restaurant for the adjoining Hotel.

Whilst not the best, it has an egg station, bacon, bread/cakes, ham/cold cuts (wouldn't like to vouch for the actual meat! LOL) , salad etc unlimited tea, filter coffee and juice.

Decent value if you are starving but by no means the best quality.

Value: 7.5/10

Quality: 7

I've been meaning to do a "Bangkok breakfast review" and this might spur me on!

Have had the breakfast in The Sportsman Soi 13 and didn't rate it as good (definitely not as good value).

Robin Hood do a small breakfast for 99 baht.

Or you can get a McD's for 156 with a Rabbit Card ????

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

3 hours ago, adammike said:

I went to the new Zealand place on Monday was not greatly impressed,choose 7 items for 199baht,I had two fried eggs, bacon, tomato,toast,juice, coffee.Eggs bacon tomato they were ok bog standard,the toast was two thick slices of white bread,much two thick for toast and hardly browned at all,the juice! not sure what it was it was from a powder or a packet with a few bits of ice cube,the coffee was wet and warm that's the best I can say about it.Will not go back for breakfast again.

Your experience sounds absolutely yummy !!!

On a serious note, I would be some pissed off if served a meal like that.

• Like 1

Adelphi Hotel on Soi 8 does a pretty decent real buffet every morning for 300 or 350 baht per person.

It's better than the Kiwi Pub's 7 items for 199 breakfast, unless you want to be cheap, and a better value than the Landmark Hotel's breakfast, unless you want to break the bank.

BTW, there's also the non buffet International House of Pancakes outlet three BTS stops away on the 4th floor of Siam Paragon, but they don't open until the mall opens at 10 am.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

i've eaten the kiwi breakfast where you pick 7 items for 199thb quite a few times.  never had a problem with it.  i bring my own bottle of water, as i recall they charge 50thb for that (not a choice in the 7 items).  haven't been to adelphi suites buffet but i'm quite full after the kiwi 7 items, wouldn't need a buffet for second helpings, etc...

3 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

I've been meaning to do a "Bangkok breakfast review" and this might spur me on!

Yes please, that would be greatly appreciated by myself and I am sure many others. It would go very well in the International Food forum.

If you really want to go for it, the fryup inspector has some great examples of how to write a good quality review.

If you're intetested, PM me.

https://fryupsgoodornot.blogspot.com/2018/01/denmark-cafe-norwich.html?m=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm. Nothing standing out ???? There used to be a place, like an American diner style place I think maybe closer to Asoke. Was set back just a little off Suk road. They had a pretty good breakfast for the money.

Hotel buffet would be great if not too expensive

13 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Hmmm. Nothing standing out ???? There used to be a place, like an American diner style place I think maybe closer to Asoke. Was set back just a little off Suk road. They had a pretty good breakfast for the money.

You might be thinking about the old V8 Diner place that used to be in the same complex as the former Sunrise Tacos outlet near Soi 12 -- that entire site is now in the process of being developed into a condo complex.

The hotel buffet at the Adelphi Hotel on Soi 8 is 300 baht per person, and it's a hard value to beat for the price. The setting is pleasant, indoors air con or outdoors patio, the staff is decent and the place is clean.

But if I want a late breakfast and don't mind not having a buffet, I'm going to go to the International House of Pancakes outlets at Siam Paragon. The ground floor one has a cafe only menu with pancakes, omelets and similar stuff only. The 4th floor IHOP there is a full menu restaurant with hash browns, bacon, sausage, steaks, salads, etc etc. that the ground floor one doesn't offer (because of Siam Paragon cooking restrictions).

If I had to choose among the Kiwi, Sportman, Gullivers or Adelphi buffet for breakfast, I'd choose Adephi every time, based strictly on the quality/preparation of the food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a simple solution. I always book a hotel that also provides me with a decent kitchen with utencils (Citadines, there is one on Soi 11 and Soi 8 - I prefer Soi 11). The night before I go to Villa market - it has moved - you now have to go to the end of Soi 11, turn left and it is on the right. I buy all that I need. I usually don't do a cooked breakfast but I could do. But most importantly for me is proper hot english style tea with milk (lactose free milk). I also use sugar-free quality yoghurt. None of this is to be found in any breakfast place. The beauty is that I don't even have to leave my air-con hotel room - just relax on the sofa and watch TV.

Later, if I have the day off, I saunter down to one of several coffee places to top up on caffeine.

46 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Hotel on the left, Soi 5, just before Gulliver's, for a buffet.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Fortuna Hotel just past Foodland on the same side of the street on Soi 5. Back in my tourist days, I used to eat their buffet there from time to time, as it was decent and pretty low priced at the time. And then, at some point, I started having too many meetings with creepy crawlies on the walls and floors there, and decided to go elsewhere for the future.

Other good choices in the general vicinity for breakfast non-buffets include the Flour Shoppe Cafe and Food Story outlets on the ground floor of the Central Chidlom complex, both of which open at 8 am, and for later risers, the breakfast menu at the Dean & DeLuca restaurant at the Central Embassy complex at Ploenchit BTS, which opens at 10 am AFAIK.

More local to Soi 8, there's also the special breakfast menu at the Margarita Storm restaurant on Suk Road at Soi 13. Last time I checked, they had a breakfast menu of 10 or so different entree offerings for 199b including coffee or tea and juice.

9 hours ago, adammike said:

choose 7 items for 199baht,I had two fried eggs, bacon, tomato,toast,juice, coffee.

So, two eggs, one bacon, one tomato, one toast, one juice and one coffee for 200 baht. :crying:  What's the matter with people who visit these plases?

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

So, two eggs, one bacon, one tomato, one toast, one juice and one coffee for 200 baht. :crying:  What's the matter with people who visit these plases?

The breakfast special menu there actually has more choices than those listed above... you can pick any 7 items from their broader list, which is not a bad deal, especially if the choices appeal to you.

For example, if you like your hash browns to arrive as a pre-frozen, store-bought wedge,  etc etc...  It's more on the bargain, small portions side than anything else... But for 200 baht, whatdya want?

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

BTW, AFAIK, the former V8 Diner from Suk Soi 12 is still alive, but relocated to the far end of Suk Soi 11 not far from where the Villa Market Soi 11 also relocated to in the past year, meaning, a LONG trek down Soi 11 to where the road jogs to the left.

The bad news, though, AFAICT, is that unlike the old location that was open 24 hours and/or in the early morning hours for breakfast, the new V8 Diner location appears to cater more to the local club going types, and so has hours from 12 noon until 5 am, meaning they're not open during traditional breakfast hours anymore.

http://www.v8diner.com/#1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, AFAIK, the former V8 Diner from Suk Soi 12 is still alive, but relocated to the far end of Suk Soi 11 not far from where the Villa Market Soi 11 also relocated to in the past year, meaning, a LONG trek down Soi 11 to where the road jogs to the left.

The bad news, though, AFAICT, is that unlike the old location that was open 24 hours and/or in the early morning hours for breakfast, the new V8 Diner location appears to cater more to the local club going types, and so has hours from 12 noon until 5 am, meaning they're not open during traditional breakfast hours anymore.

http://www.v8diner.com/#1

I think that was it. Was a pretty good deal there actually for about 170 baht got the works. Grilled hot dogs instead of actual sausages but who could complain. 

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Visiting as a tourist we have to eat somewhere! I needed breakfast after a night out, staying in one of the main tourist areas of Bangkok i ain't going to get a Pattaya 99baht breakfast special and I don't mind paying that if all the components are ok,I only find out when the plate arrives.what is a visitor supposed to do? 200 baht is nothing for good breakfast it's a lady drink in a Gogo and I don't do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I used to like going to the American Bar & Grill off of Soi 8, as they opened at 8 and it was good value. But the owner has gone back to the US and it no longer does the same kind of food, so I'm told.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Fortuna Hotel just past Foodland on the same side of the street on Soi 5. Back in my tourist days, I used to eat their buffet there from time to time, as it was decent and pretty low priced at the time. And then, at some point, I started having too many meetings with creepy crawlies on the walls and floors there, and decided to go elsewhere for the future.

Other good choices in the general vicinity for breakfast non-buffets include the Flour Shoppe Cafe and Food Story outlets on the ground floor of the Central Chidlom complex, both of which open at 8 am, and for later risers, the breakfast menu at the Dean & DeLuca restaurant at the Central Embassy complex at Ploenchit BTS, which opens at 10 am AFAIK.

More local to Soi 8, there's also the special breakfast menu at the Margarita Storm restaurant on Suk Road at Soi 13. Last time I checked, they had a breakfast menu of 10 or so different entree offerings for 199b including coffee or tea and juice.

If you go to the Margarita Storm, note the service charge on the dreaded small print that they hope you won't notice.

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, there's also the non buffet International House of Pancakes outlet three BTS stops away on the 4th floor of Siam Paragon, but they don't open until the mall opens at 10 am.

What? An IHOP that's doesn't open at 7 AM???!!!

Only in Thailand I guess.