JAFO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great link. Thanks much. Here's one I just found:

https://www.unicef.org/stories/social-media-bad-teens-mental-health

Quote:

The feelings triggered by a ‘like’ can temporarily relieve feelings of loneliness, but they cannot replace socializing altogether. When adolescents who feel lonely offline use social media to compensate for less developed social skills, they may end up feeling even more lonely in the long run.

This applies to lots of elderly expats in Thailand, especially those who live in remote areas. You can see it right here on this forum.

4 hours ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Really good. Thanks.

My half-Thai kids are pretty good when it comes to social media. They've learned already that FB is a piss-poor substitute for real-world interactions and seldom use it. 

Does the OP realize that TV is social media? I will give a guy up to 500 posts on TV. After that you are using it as social media not visa inqueries. I think there isn't as many pics posted because of the nature of the site people do not want to be identified to one another and it being an older crowd.

But going back to the point of people being unhappy and going online to feel better about themselves. That's me in a nut shell. When I am feeling bad about myself I come to TV and instantly realize it could be worse. 

I'm wondering how I get on without using "social media" ( does TVF count as social media? ) Never use Face<deleted>, twitter, etc etc, but seems that everyone else just can't live without knowing what everyone had for breakfast, or how many times they go to the loo, or something.

As for all the little traveller darlings that just have to talk to mummy every day, gimmestrength!

When I was travelling one of the delights was not being contactable by anyone back home.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm wondering how I get on without using "social media" ( does TVF count as social media? ) Never use Face<deleted>, twitter, etc etc, but seems that everyone else just can't live without knowing what everyone had for breakfast, or how many times they go to the loo, or something.

As for all the little traveller darlings that just have to talk to mummy every day, gimmestrength!

When I was travelling one of the delights was not being contactable by anyone back home.

I like to see my grandchildren and talk to them everyday.  Does that make me a little darling?  Then there is my legion of dancing girls.  Do you want me to do a screen capture?  Aw naw. Might tempt you too much and I wouldn't want the blame for starting you using social media. 

13 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Does the OP realize that TV is social media?

Absolutely. All sites with a forum that you can post etc is a form of social media. Not really debating that. I was commenting on the excessive use by people looking for some level of acceptance and some how many feel better about themselves having hundreds if not thousands of "Followers". 

I fully realize many use social media as a means of staying in touch. Its a tool as I see it. For me I do not and will not use Facebook as I think its a virus (Every try and uninstall Facebook from a Smartphone?)  I also have never used Twitter, Instagram, Reddit either. I do not want nor need daily updates from people as to what they are doing every seconds of their lives and some how want me to give them "Thumbs up" for those daily accomplishments.  

On 3/10/2019 at 2:36 AM, Katia said:

I would far rather people take selfies than have other people take pictures of them.  At least with a selfie you don't have the picture taker 10 feet away glaring at you if you dare to walk in between them and the person being photographed.  Or asking YOU to move out of the way of whatever thing they're posing in front of so they can get their picture!

Speaking of selfies. Why do they take them from a 45 degree angle? Irritating, unless there's a nice cleavage view....

33 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Absolutely. All sites with a forum that you can post etc is a form of social media. Not really debating that. I was commenting on the excessive use by people looking for some level of acceptance and some how many feel better about themselves having hundreds if not thousands of "Followers". 

I fully realize many use social media as a means of staying in touch. Its a tool as I see it. For me I do not and will not use Facebook as I think its a virus (Every try and uninstall Facebook from a Smartphone?)  I also have never used Twitter, Instagram, Reddit either. I do not want nor need daily updates from people as to what they are doing every seconds of their lives and some how want me to give them "Thumbs up" for those daily accomplishments.  

Thank you uncle.  Learning piano difficult.  Thumbs up give me joy.  Thank you Nu Yim.  She is 9 years old. 

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Speaking of selfies. Why do they take them from a 45 degree angle? Irritating, unless there's a nice cleavage view....

45 degrees from where?  I tend to change camera angle on selfies depending on the light, what is in the background, etc.  I imagine other people do, too.

I've dipped my toe into Facebook recently but not for catching up with anyone but networking.

Joined a lot of groups which interest me and I see the value it has for business now with these groups and these social media influencers but it annoys me as a big part of this whole scene is directing business.

For example: On a popular Thailand travel group all these influencers are pushing these long winded stories about all kinds of tours with the (book before you go) tag. (Influencers in this instance are people who will provide a voluntary highly informative recent thai experience and sprinkle in a few (dont miss out) fears which prompts a lot of newbies.

Disappointing to see as that idea of the unknown on the first trip here really was fun. 

The content of Facebook aside from a friend catalogue is actually pretty good. The brexit battle is on, big time on Facebook.  

But as a friend updating tool it's over and that's fine with me.

Messenger/whatsapp is how to be in touch with friends and family and I don't follow anyone as it feels lazy. If I want to see how someone is doing will take a peek or reach out.

Archived