Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm a house husband.  Wife works at a factory in the daytime and I take care of the house, laundry, cooking, dog walking and updating the computers and such.  We go out 3 times a week and I shop twice a week and go out daily for walks and chatting with the locals and at the foreign beer pub that's too expensive for most expats doing the income method.  I'm fine with the change from rambling boy to house husband.  But it does give me time to read Thai Visa. 

I too am a house husband and my wife is a housewife. She does the shopping several times a day.

• Haha 1

Strange headline, 

...low opinion that TVF members have of other TVF members in particular and other Thai expats in general. ....

Thaivisa/forum is a free anybody can join public forum, with some obvious posting rules around legal can / cannot. 

In my experience it's a far more civil board / forum than any other board I've ever come across.

Sure there are differences of opinion. Is that wrong? No, it's healthy discussion. 

And there are plenty of TV posters who would quickly criticize / do criticize any lack of freedom of speech as a matter of course regardless of location or media vehicle. 

I don't see that there is any specific dislike / division or whatever between TV members and non tv members. Perhaps the OP could explain this point in more detail with examples.

Or is this just a wind-up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My local market are selling deep red strawberries for 60bht/kg.

Bought some up in the hills in Korat last year, nice but not a patch on strawberries in the UK.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Im guessing CM ?, I bought some beauties in Lampang recently !

Plenty around CM at present, good quality. I send my GF shopping for them because she gets them for 40 baht whereas I would be charged 60 baht. Farang price again.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Plenty around CM at present, good quality. I send my GF shopping for them because she gets them for 40 baht whereas I would be charged 60 baht. Farang price again.

lol, i'm forking up 320 baht i think it was,

foodland pattaya klang

Edited by brokenbone

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

True, but there's something existentially satisfying about eating food that you have grown yourself. Can't really explain it, purely psychological but, to me, it really does taste better.

Also, gardening is my wife's passion and I know that it's free from chemicals.

always more satisfying when one does something themself ....IMO.  Also included are the only 2 farangs that I would get close to 

Papayas.JPG

52663179_2646993505315779_4636727060742537216_n.jpg

IMG_0172.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

lol, i'm forking up 320 baht i think it was

RU shopping in Rimping? That's the only place I know that would charge that much. The Dalat Nats ( day markets ) are much cheaper when it comes to fruit and vegetables.

For some, they hate themselves.  They don't want the pollution, boring life, and they get super mad at everyone else.  I've been in this predicament at times, myself.  There it goes to another level:  You meet hundreds of sex tourists, alcoholics, bad individuals with full-body tattoos and you then get mad you are around so many weird people.  no question Thailand is for sex for guys.  no question.  not for picking strawberries.  sex, sex, sex.  and not for cheap drinks.  so just ask some guy, 'why are you in thailand?'  what is he going to say?  the weather?  1000 other countries with better weather.  it's for the sex.  and those people are not to be liked.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Strange headline, 

...low opinion that TVF members have of other TVF members in particular and other Thai expats in general. ....

Thaivisa/forum is a free anybody can join public forum, with some obvious posting rules around legal can / cannot. 

In my experience it's a far more civil board / forum than any other board I've ever come across.

Sure there are differences of opinion. Is that wrong? No, it's healthy discussion. 

And there are plenty of TV posters who would quickly criticize / do criticize any lack of freedom of speech as a matter of course regardless of location or media vehicle. 

I don't see that there is any specific dislike / division or whatever between TV members and non tv members. Perhaps the OP could explain this point in more detail with examples.

Or is this just a wind-up?

Here you go, a classic example. Very much doubt that this guy would walk into an expat bar and espouse his theory on why the majority of expats are in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, puukao said:

There it goes to another level:  You meet hundreds of sex tourists, alcoholics, bad individuals with full-body tattoos and you then get mad you are around so many weird people.  no question Thailand is for sex for guys.  no question.  not for picking strawberries.  sex, sex, sex.  and not for cheap drinks.  so just ask some guy, 'why are you in thailand?'  what is he going to say?  the weather?  1000 other countries with better weather.  it's for the sex.  and those people are not to be liked.  

33 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

not mine, i have never seen such poisonous gleeful forum

as the tvf is

I've got about 30 'insulters and boasters and gloaters' on ignore now, it's made the place much better.

I'm entirely OK with the Thai lovers and Thai haters, you can have a bit of fun in discussions with all of them.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My local market are selling deep red strawberries for 60bht/kg. They look OK to me.

straws.jpg

The white ones are more expensive.  Guess because of rarity.  Both so cheap this time of year I buy a bushel and wash and dust with sugar and freeze.  Same as I do with the expensive oranges that I have to purchase by the case.  Can't eat them all at one time but if you peel the skin and freeze them it works great. 

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've got about 30 'insulters and boasters and gloaters' on ignore now, it's made the place much better.

I'm entirely OK with the Thai lovers and Thai haters, you can have a bit of fun in discussions with all of them.

"Insulters'. 'Gloaters'. Do you mean in the open forum or in private messages?

I've noticed a few nasty comments over many many years, but very very rarely anything that's openly insulting. 

I suspect that some posters take advantage of the fact TV is an anonymous forum and add a few stronger words, but not often to the point of insulting.

The worst i've ever experienced more personally was about 3 years back a newbie poster added a story about, in his opinion, a waiter, in Pattaya was not giving him 5 star service in KFC and he insisted the waiter step outside for a fist fight.

I posted and suggested he calm down and re-think his expectations.

I quickly received a PM which threatened that he would find me and re-arrange my face and do something sexual to my wife. His post was long and vile.

He was banned for life from TV.

Not nice however IMHO on open forums there will be things like this but hopefully not often 

But I go back to my earlier comment on how any of this connects to TV members vs non TV members? 

Edited by scorecard

37 minutes ago, puukao said:

For some, they hate themselves.  They don't want the pollution, boring life, and they get super mad at everyone else.  I've been in this predicament at times, myself.  There it goes to another level:  You meet hundreds of sex tourists, alcoholics, bad individuals with full-body tattoos and you then get mad you are around so many weird people.  no question Thailand is for sex for guys.  no question.  not for picking strawberries.  sex, sex, sex.  and not for cheap drinks.  so just ask some guy, 'why are you in thailand?'  what is he going to say?  the weather?  1000 other countries with better weather.  it's for the sex.  and those people are not to be liked.  

Outside of you and 3 others on Thai Visa I've never been disliked for sexual reasons.  I tell the truth too much for most and my opinion is not the same as many and that upsets and lord there are many here who think it is appropriate to attack/judge a person because of physical appearance - age, tattoos, weight and so on but no one has not liked me because of sex cept you. 

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

reddit keypublishing and various gaming forums

are way above in politeness, data to back up statements,

and general decent behavior

I don't know those forums, are they dedicated to a specific subject?

Is there a difference in that the TV forum covers pretty much any subject therefore there will be a great diversity of opinions / comments?

5 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

reddit keypublishing and various gaming forums

are way above in politeness, data to back up statements,

and general decent behavior

Rather a quick judgment for someone whose only been here 4 weeks. Perhaps you have just encountered some, but not really given it a fair chance given its overall diversity in topics, those you mention are pretty focussed subject in comparison, like gaming etc