Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

They usually have two identical bottles side by side , one with alcohol and the other with water , the "jerk" was probably right about getting ripped off

How was he ripped off? Even if it was water, it's still a drink, and if you buy a drink for

a bar employee there is a price to pay, in this case 150 baht.

33 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

There are a lot more farangs in Muaeng Surin than when I arrived 5 years ago.  When I first came here I maybe would see only 1-2 farangs every couple of shopping trips at Big C. Now I see at least 5-6 every time I'm there and many new faces. When my wife and I moved into our rural home 12 km NE of Surin in 2014, I was the only farang in the area. Now there are at least 3 that I know of within a 2 km radius. 

Yes, people are keen to inform my wife of the rich farangs arriving in the NE of Surin, spending 'big money' on houses and land ???? They are not shy in asking my wife if I have 'big money too'

Apparently she tells them just enough to take care of her and the children ok ????

I have met some OK farangs, and some that blame ex Thai wives for every downturn that has befallen them. I think among other things the inevitable comparisons keep farangs apart, most of us who choose to settle in rural Thailand have enough to contend with without this, and hang for the quiet life.

Edited by 473geo

21 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

In the bar I frequented the most years ago, the tequila and vodka bottle's were Lao Khao.

I have met over time some wonderful people- maybe about 3 or 4 I will call friends and go eat with them. I have met over time some of the worst asshats I could imagine and some of them were truly dangerous. I have had so-called friends knifed and saw a whole lot more than that and I was pretty mild. In my formative years/time I strayed onto the dark side a lot and a number of the people I met was truly disgusting; most likely at that stage of my life, I myself was inclusive of these numbers in being disgusting. 

Deep down inside I am not like this but I found when you hung around the wrong people, you just got tarred with the same brush and with the rules being very loose here, it was easy just to go with the flow. These days I am very quiet, I do not drink, I do not whore, married, watch Netflix heaps and led a very boring life. I keep away from the general expat now mainly due to the reason I do not want to get embroiled with other problems because most people do have problems and you get to know them too well, things can become difficult. Between wives, there is too much 'face' shown (like who has got the biggest gold nugget on) and just too much peacocking for my likes.

I have seen enough of the dark side of this place to fill a novel but truly do understand, it is much safer to keep to yourself, not have a large circle of friends and not stand out too much. I hate to say, there a plenty of very, very bad dudes here and I am much more afraid of them than a Thai. 

I am happy I am away from all of this. Village life suits me a lot better but there are a lot of jerks around and I myself, am most likely included in this group of jerks as well.

i like cats

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

What makes u think that the Tvf members are expats?

Most of the posters aren’t even living  in Thailand and those who are in Thailand are simply long term staying tourists just living alone or staying with some bar girl..

Maybe TV should publish the location from where each post is made. In most cases it should be accurate if users don't use VPNs.

• Sad 1

Really you think TV expats dislike other expats? Wouldn’t you have to know the expat to dislike?....

A lot of posters are looking for answers to situations such as immigration, culture etc.. it could be they’ve had some difficulties

and it’s coming across as the dislike something. 

Sometimes you have to look at it as a grain of salt. That one moment shouldn’t define a person unless over the top drastic.

To generalize dislike for Nationality is wrong. A individual that you’ve personally met possible. 

Its like saying all frogs piss on trees.... really how do you know. 

Meet a person before disliking them unless you feel its a dangerous situation. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe TV should publish the location from where each post is made. In most cases it should be accurate if users don't use VPNs.

it appears 99.9% of TV users have VPN's thus hard or very hard to track 555

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Spidey said:

You get it even more if you declare that you live in Pattaya. If you are British and live in Pattaya, you must be the scum of the earth.

I am in a similar situation to you with a wife, son and nice house, yet I still get labelled in the way you describe.

Primarily, the vitriol is from people who are unhappy with their own lives, for one reason or another, and take their frustrations out on their keyboards within the safety of the forum's anonymity. They use it to elevate their low self esteem by pretending to be holier than thou, superior to others. I guarantee that if you met them personally, they would be meek and mild and not say anything to your face, such as they do on this forum.

If you met them, you, being a normal reasonable person and happy with your life, would pity them. The internet is full of sad little puppies such as you describe.

Well said.

I imagine many ex pats to be fellows who've moved out to the sticks, are bored out of their brains and lumbered with a wife and an extended family that he realises he has nothing in common with.

The internet is his main contact with the world that he formerly was part of.

He becomes angry with himself for having burnt his bridges, very bitter about life in general and has developed an outsize chip on his shoulder.

His only outlet is to go on internet forums such as this one and address people in a manner that he would never attempt to get away with in a face to face situation.

I've met several ex pats and long termers in Pattaya who have had cause to visit their lady friend's home up in the boondocks and they can't wait to get back to the civilisation of Pattaya.

Such a situation must be terrible for fellows who have bought houses, are stuck in those boondocks and know it's because it's their own fault for being impulsive, lacking in foresight and allowing themselves to be manipulated by a woman who was actually working as a prostitute when he first met her.

Their anger and bitterness inevitably becomes exposed when they get in front of their computer's keyboard.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

back to the civilisation of Pattaya.

That gave me a good laugh.  Isn't Pattaya where all the expats make their mistakes with women.

The rest of your post is pretty real life in most regards. TV is a way for posters to some how stay in contact with other miserable posters which as they say, "misery loves company"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm a house husband.  Wife works at a factory in the daytime and I take care of the house, laundry, cooking, dog walking and updating the computers and such.  We go out 3 times a week and I shop twice a week and go out daily for walks and chatting with the locals and at the foreign beer pub that's too expensive for most expats doing the income method.  I'm fine with the change from rambling boy to house husband.  But it does give me time to read Thai Visa. 

A feminists dream boy

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, puukao said:

For some, they hate themselves.  They don't want the pollution, boring life, and they get super mad at everyone else.  I've been in this predicament at times, myself.  There it goes to another level:  You meet hundreds of sex tourists, alcoholics, bad individuals with full-body tattoos and you then get mad you are around so many weird people.  no question Thailand is for sex for guys.  no question.  not for picking strawberries.  sex, sex, sex.  and not for cheap drinks.  so just ask some guy, 'why are you in thailand?'  what is he going to say?  the weather?  1000 other countries with better weather.  it's for the sex.  and those people are not to be liked.  

What a strange statement.I have yet to met a man or woman who does not desire sex.  Actually I'll qualify that..... Normal healthy woman

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Outside of you and 3 others on Thai Visa I've never been disliked for sexual reasons.  I tell the truth too much for most and my opinion is not the same as many and that upsets and lord there are many here who think it is appropriate to attack/judge a person because of physical appearance - age, tattoos, weight and so on but no one has not liked me because of sex cept you. 

I have no problem with your ( or anyone else's)  opinions whether I agree or otherwise but please stop posting links to apparently justify your position.   For every link you post I can guarantee there are other links on the net that would state the opposite. Personally I would never open any link on this particular forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Thai whiskey doesn't even look like water ,so your comment makes no sense .you just complain for the complaining ,you are clearly on of the people the OP means. negative all day shouldn't even be writing or reading here, but clearly have nothing else to do whole day . Pitty 

They mean Lao Khao, which does look like water.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I know I'm undesirable, my former Brit wife told me 10 years back when she divorced me.

Told me I was so undesirable that now she was leaving I would never have sex with a woman in the room again.

I don't think she had considered the power of the pound.

I've done about 50 since then, and they were nearly all half her age and weight (or less).

Only five a year average.  Hope you do t play cricket.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

My experience is exactly the same as the poster you replied to. I'm not dopey and still have my cojones.....for now!

And I seriously question if either of you are actually in a relationship with any woman.... Much less living in Thailand with a Thai wife 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Well said.

I imagine many ex pats to be fellows who've moved out to the sticks, are bored out of their brains and lumbered with a wife and an extended family that he realises he has nothing in common with.

The internet is his main contact with the world that he formerly was part of.

He becomes angry with himself for having burnt his bridges, very bitter about life in general and has developed an outsize chip on his shoulder.

His only outlet is to go on internet forums such as this one and address people in a manner that he would never attempt to get away with in a face to face situation.

I've met several ex pats and long termers in Pattaya who have had cause to visit their lady friend's home up in the boondocks and they can't wait to get back to the civilisation of Pattaya.

Such a situation must be terrible for fellows who have bought houses, are stuck in those boondocks and know it's because it's their own fault for being impulsive, lacking in foresight and allowing themselves to be manipulated by a woman who was actually working as a prostitute when he first met her.

Their anger and bitterness inevitably becomes exposed when they get in front of their computer's keyboard.

NOOo, for me it's after four pints.....:drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Many reasons advanced for not liking other expats either on TV or in the flesh, such as:

I don't like you because you are a Brit/Yank/Aussie/Frog/Kiwi/Kraut etc. Reminds me of Dirty Harry.

I don't like you because I think I am more educated than you.

I don't like you because your opinions are offensive to me.

I don't like you because you associate with bar girls/ are a boozer / have poor personal hygiene.

I don't like you because you are too rich/ too poor.

I don't like your politics. I don't like your religious beliefs.

I don't like you whinging constantly.

So many judgmental people. IMHO it's possible to like someone even if you don't share their views. It's difficult to like anyone if you don't like yourself.

But these are reasons people don't like other people. Ignorance is universal. 

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Many reasons advanced for not liking other expats either on TV or in the flesh, such as:

I don't like you because you are a Brit/Yank/Aussie/Frog/Kiwi/Kraut etc. Reminds me of Dirty Harry.

I don't like you because I think I am more educated than you.

I don't like you because your opinions are offensive to me.

I don't like you because you associate with bar girls/ are a boozer / have poor personal hygiene.

I don't like you because you are too rich/ too poor.

I don't like your politics. I don't like your religious beliefs.

I don't like you whinging constantly.

So many judgmental people. IMHO it's possible to like someone even if you don't share their views. It's difficult to like anyone if you don't like yourself.

I reckon upwards of 90% of posters on this forum do not live here.  Maybe they did live here and got taken by an uneducated bar girl and will continue to be bitter for the rest of their lives, or,  more likely, have visited a couple of times and now consider themselves as experts and continue to post the same old bar stool crap that others post here which seems to morph into absolute fact. Maybe subliminal call for acceptance? 

The ones I feel most empathy towards are the people who have to cross the road when they see another farang.  What's going on in their heads?  Simply walk past them!

Then we have the people who seem shit scared to interact with Thai males.  What is their life like?  Sitting around gossiping with village women discussing the best way to change the belt on the Singer treadle sewing machine? 

Living the dream guys!!! 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I reckon upwards of 90% of posters on this forum do not live here.  Maybe they did live here and got taken by an uneducated bar girl and will continue to be bitter for the rest of their lives, or,  more likely, have visited a couple of times and now are themselves as experts and continue to post the same old bar stool crap that other post here which seems to morph into absolute fact. 

The ones I feel most empathy towards are the people who have to cross the road when they see another daring.  What's going on in their heads?  Simply walk past them!

Then we have the people who seem shit scared to interact with Thai males.  What is their life like?  Sitting around gossiping with village women discussing the best way to change the belt on the Singer treadle sewing machine? 

Living the life guys!!! 

So you don't liv 'ere........????

37 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Only five a year average.  Hope you do t play cricket.

My wife and my gf get upset if I do more than 5 others a year.

And since my pal caught AIDs, I've been a bit put off playing away.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

It's not just the TVF forum, there are other forums out there that seem to be less moderated and the comments and observations I've seen are childish on the good side and absolutely offensive at the other end of the pole. Some of the forums I have stopped reading the posts. They divert rapidly from the news story topic to attack either other Foreigners or indeed Thais, and end up with no relevance to the original news post. There is a lot of anger out there in the expat community for some reason. For heavens sake this is the LOS. Enjoy , live and let live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1