Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

On 4/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, Orton Rd said:

Bald headed know it all Brits with common as muck accents and false teeth are a plenty here!

False teeth, more like rotten black teeth if they have any. Do they have dentists in the UK? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, Greenriver said:

Actually is was Robert Wagner Who Wrote it on the GFM page, but I see it now has been corrected down to 20 kg.

No I did not believe in the 70 kg loss. But I just stated he  Wrote it.

I was just diagnosed with throat cancer here in the Philippines and will be going back to Canada for treatments in early September but I weighed in at my local Hospital on March 29th. at 125Kgs and reweighed in on July 8th. at 104Kgs. a loss of 21Kgs and am still losing as my belt holes keep moving. I don't find it hard to believe his loss now that I am living a similar fate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, Roy Baht said:

The Wind Mill in Pattaya, a place Kevin Burt both frequented and promoted, is famous for employing underage girls. Why shouldn't Kev die a slow and painful death from cancer?

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/07/06/wind-mill-gogo-raided-by-pattaya-police-alleged-underage-prostitution-found-say-police/

That's a disgusting comment IMHO.

Even if he did frequent and promote (which I certainly don't see any evidence of), how does that make him worthy of dying a slow and painful death from cancer?

The Windmill won't be the first or last establishment in Pattaya busted for employing underage girls.  Does that make all visitors to this and other 'busted' establishments in Pattaya guilty of pedophilia and deserving of a slow and painful death?

I can only assume that you're either bored, have a personal grudge against him/Pattaya, were drunk and/or are totally lacking in human compassion.

You're also being disingenuous by suggesting The Windmill is famous for employing underage girls...it's famous for being raunchy. As the article states, the girl had a fake ID so I don't hold the The Windmill totally culpable.

If it was famous for what you claim, it would have been closed down a long time ago (and I personally find the place a bit too sleazy and only visited once, never to return) 

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 2

Wow ! I thought this bloke was in his 70's. Not even 60 and looking like that ? 

Came across this chap's youtube while doing research for a trip. Noticed he had his paypal and adsense linked to his account, and actually asking for beer money. He's a legit e-begger. 

2 hours ago, Charybdis said:

Wow ! I thought this bloke was in his 70's. Not even 60 and looking like that ? 

Came across this chap's youtube while doing research for a trip. Noticed he had his paypal and adsense linked to his account, and actually asking for beer money. He's a legit e-begger. 

So you benefited from watching his You Tube videos, for free? Everyone has adsense and paypal is optional, not compulsory.

Possibly reasonble..

However,in a similar situation I quietly paid up and went home..

Many thanks to my Thai wife and family amd many members of ThaiVisa who supported me as I struggled to get home under my own steam.

Many thanks to my home country (Australia) which has looked after me on my return.

I am a trifle bemused by all this Go Fund Me stuff..
The law in UK is that if you leave for 6 months all your health benefits are invalid .......unless you are over 65! Kev is 59.. His blogs of apartments ect ,that he does for free have made a few expat property owners very rich. He has a massive World wide following. He is a giver,not a taker,imo.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He does not have a massive worldwide following, about 32k subs last time I looked. How has he made apartment owners very rich? advertising dumps on the darkside renting out for a few thousand or worse places like the Shagwell Inn (appalling name) is not going to make anyone rich. He does it all for his own benefit, have you seen him giving money to the deserving like some vloggers do? me neither. Who knows he may give something back if he ever sells his property in Spain.

Edited by Orton Rd

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, honda99 said:

looks like kev is gone back to the uk after finding out the cancer has spread

If this is true than this is a bad gig as oesophageal cancer is horrible.

I neither know the person and barely remember his circumstances...nevertheless it can be a very cruel way to die.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

If this is true than this is a bad gig as oesophageal cancer is horrible.

I neither know the person and barely remember his circumstances...nevertheless it can be a very cruel way to die.

This is from his gofundme page

Update on Kevin.
Kevin had a PET scan that didn't look so great. To over simplify it would appear that the cancer has spread to other parts of his body as tumors.
This doesn't mean that he is terminal but it is a set back that has prompted a new corse of action.
Kevin will be traveling over seas soon for further treatment with more options than he has here in Thailand.
Kevin's family and friends are supporting this course of action and looking to get him the best treatments in England at the first of the year.
I will post more as we go.
Thank you again for all you have done to help Kev in this long battle.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, garyk said:

Doesn't the UK have a good healthcare system in place for it's people? I don't under stand this.

Yes it does, very good at times.  So it makes sense for him to return to the UK for treatment, possibly for palliative care ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Yes it does, very good at times.  So it makes sense for him to return to the UK for treatment, possibly for palliative care ????

He's an ex pat and as such would not be eligible, only emergency care is free. I thought they charged ex pats 150% of the cost. Apart from that there is the cost of going home and renting somewhere along with all the stress if on his own, better off here.

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

He's an ex pat and as such would not be eligible, only emergency care is free. I thought they charged ex pats 150% of the cost. Apart from that there is the cost of going home and renting somewhere along with all the stress if on his own, better off here.

If he can show that he has permanently repatriated then he becomes eligible for the full NHS service immediately and will not have to pay. 

Looks as though Simon just beat me to it on this!

Edited by doctormann

It makes no sense at all to me! I have paid National Insurance contributions for 46 years and still pay UK income tax on my pension, and yet because I am now resident in Thailand, I am no longer entitled to NHS treatment if I ever return for a holiday. However, others who have contributed far less, some who have never worked,  are allowed free treatment. So unfair. Hope things work out for Kevin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

It makes no sense at all to me! I have paid National Insurance contributions for 46 years and still pay UK income tax on my pension, and yet because I am now resident in Thailand, I am no longer entitled to NHS treatment if I ever return for a holiday. However, others who have contributed far less, some who have never worked,  are allowed free treatment. So unfair. Hope things work out for Kevin.

Wow, that is crazy. How do they know you are a resident in Thailand?

Edited by garyk

11 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

In his shoes, what are they going to do if you show up at a hospital. Treat him, right?

That is all that matters. Worry about the bill later, my god. This is someone potentially dying here. 

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

He is eligible and treatment is free from day 1. All he has to do is formally state that he is returning permanently to live in the UK.

Even if he had to pay 1000% you still just return home. 

I suppose i am just of a different opinion on this stuff. Silly me, I am potentially dying i am not going to spend a second worrying about hospital bills, especially to a country i have paid taxes to all my life. 

1 hour ago, illiterate said:

I could never understand why in a situation like this you would not return right away. 

Concerning things like cancer, money really is not an issue anymore. Get home and get treated asap. 

His explanation, good luck to him as it does not look promising. @ 4.20 minutes

Edited by Orton Rd

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a useful lesson. If anyone from UK gets diagnosed with something really serious head back to UK quick rather than waste money in hospitals here

But he was treated straight away here, back home he would have waited for weeks if not months. I agree I would be on the next plane home as well.