Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

12 hours ago, Benroon said:

Its 12 weeks ! My own GP told me that in the last year.

Sadly that link doesn't open for me however the preceding comment is nonsense. You will PAY for NHS treatment if you have been a non resident UNLESS you can PROVE you are as of that moment going to be resident in the UK. You selectively cut that bit off of your final comment. How you go about that I don't know and perhaps doesn't sound so forboding but you do have to go through those hoops.

The government even set up a chasing debtors department to collect the funds from health tourists (which I think was then quietly disbanded as everyone from Nigeria just told them to <deleted> off)

It would be great if you were right - but you're not (strictly).

Regarding entitlement to NHS:  I'm sure it's right. Sorry the link didn't work.  The key phrase is the 'Shah ruling' which established that anyone returning to UK to live is entitled from day one. I'm not saying there won't be hoops to jump through in some cases.  Ultimately, though the NHS won't have a leg to stand on.

Here it is the PDF file again: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

Correct, if you go back you need to be in the UK for 3 months before trying to get treatment.

That's social services I think.  NHS entitlement is free from day one.   

NHS entitlement is residency based. A simple declaration that you intend to resume residence is enough- this was established under the Shah ruling.  Of course questions will be asked, but it stands to reason that if you are still there 3 months later then the answer is obvious.  

If on the other hand, you are in fact not staying, and someone has reported you then that may be a different story.

57 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Regarding entitlement to NHS:  I'm sure it's right. Sorry the link didn't work.  The key phrase is the 'Shah ruling' which established that anyone returning to UK to live is entitled from day one. I'm not saying there won't be hoops to jump through in some cases.  Ultimately, though the NHS won't have a leg to stand on.

Here it is the PDF file again: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf

The Shah case states that there must be, "a sufficient degree of continuity", and the factsheet you posted states, "If you are a British citizen who resides solely overseas and are visiting the UK, you may be charged for non-emergency hospital treatment", the key would be in providing evidence that you are returning with intent to remain rather than as a short term visit, which will come down to property.

Edited by Kieran00001

It's an 

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The Shah case states that there must be, "a sufficient degree of continuity", and the factsheet you posted states, "If you are a British citizen who resides solely overseas and are visiting the UK, you may be charged for non-emergency hospital treatment", the key would be in providing evidence that you are returning with intent to remain rather than as a short term visit, which will come down to property.

Nothing to do with property.  The circumstances of coming home to live are self evident. Put it this way, who has been refused treatment? Anyway, treatment would not be refused I think. What could happen is that one might be billed, but this would undoubtedly be cancelled later. when it proves that you are there permanently.  Bottom line is a resident is entitled to NHS care under the 'Shah ruling'.  

There is a lot of misinformation on the net, and people get confused between doctor's surgery rules, NHS entitlement, and eligibility for social services.

I guess the uncomfortable truth is that many of us should really return to the UK as soon as possible, before something happens.  It's something I am reluctantly considering.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NightSky said:

so when sick we can all fly to Norway for a treatment holiday then?

Well you need to be really sick to get any help without paying for it. But lets say you are a tourist in Norway , with a foreign passport , you will still qualify for emergency treatment in a hospital.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 4:05 PM, connda said:

Personally I believe the whole Thai thing of embracing 'medical marijuana' is all about allowing a certain sub-set of wealthy Thais to make a killing on monopolized marijuana and cannabinoid products. 

this is certainly the case in most places it has been legalized either recreationally or medically.

however that does not preclude actual benefits to individuals who may need treatment.

12 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's an 

Nothing to do with property.  The circumstances of coming home to live are self evident. Put it this way, who has been refused treatment? Anyway, treatment would not be refused I think. What could happen is that one might be billed, but this would undoubtedly be cancelled later. when it proves that you are there permanently.  Bottom line is a resident is entitled to NHS care under the 'Shah ruling'.  

There is a lot of misinformation on the net, and people get confused between doctor's surgery rules, NHS entitlement, and eligibility for social services.

I guess the uncomfortable truth is that many of us should really return to the UK as soon as possible, before something happens.  It's something I am reluctantly considering.

It will very much come down to property as unless you own one or rent one you will not have a way to evidence that your intention is to remain the UK rather than just visit to ponce off the NHS.although the Shah case

5 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

I have noticed that comments on his you tube channel that are in any way negative toward him or contradict what he says in his videos are deleted pretty sharpish.

Definitely his way or the highway, fan boys only as with many such vloggers here. Anyone disagreeing with him and his ilk are automatically labelled 'haters and trolls'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It will very much come down to property as unless you own one or rent one you will not have a way to evidence that your intention is to remain the UK rather than just visit to ponce off the NHS.although the Shah case

No that's incorrect- it's not about having a property or not.  It's about intention to stay.  Nor is it about being homeless for that matter.

But.....all this is now, or what has been.  Here's shocking news about the future, because it looks like some very bad news is on the way: they'll be dying in the streets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-190218/Ex-pat-pensioners-denied-NHS-treatment.html

56 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No that's incorrect- it's not about having a property or not.  It's about intention to stay.  Nor is it about being homeless for that matter.

But.....all this is now, or what has been.  Here's shocking news about the future, because it looks like some very bad news is on the way: they'll be dying in the streets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-190218/Ex-pat-pensioners-denied-NHS-treatment.html

You realize your "news" is actually from 2008?

33 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Does anyone know roughly how much a course of chemo would have cost Kev in a government hospital?  Just a ball park figure.

Its not possible to approximate as all patients are individual and require greatly varying amounts of treatment and after care.

I would suggest to anyone reading your troll post that they inform themselves and check out the Burzyndki movie and Cancer the forbidden cures. I have had much personal experience in this matter.
My eldest sister now in her late seventies and an avid alternative therapist was diagnosed 25 years ago with breast cancer and told that if she did not have immediate Chemo and Radiation that she would be dead within 3 months. 
She is still alive some 25 years on.
My sister in law who tried to convince her to have a mastectomy some 24 years ago as she had breast cancer and had a double mastectomy and saif to my sister she felt great. She died two years later as a young and extremely beautiful woman in her early 40's. 
My middle sister also with breast cancer underwent chemo last year and a single mastectomy at 65, we shall see how it goes. My best friends wife also has cancer of the womb and throat. She has gone through masses of chemo and radiation over the last 2 years and is expected to die soon.
Dr. Burzynski is the only documented practicioner who has cured brain cancer or glaucoma in adults and children. This after chemo and radiation had failed. ( they will only let him attempt to cure paitents who have been through the toxic chemo and radiation therapies) He is no quak and how dare you say so. His therapy works and big pharma through the AMA have tried many times in court case after court case unsuccessfully to put him out of business. I will allow people on here to determine whom they trust, big pharma and big corporations or a simple doctor trying to cure people of a terrible disease. As for Reene Caisse when she has her 90 birthday bus loads of oeople cured by her came to see her and thank her. That despite her being shut fown many years earlier by big pharma. There have been as many inventors killed for producing free energy devices. Anything that comes between the big corporations and their money. But now people know this, the world has changed and people are awake. You and your likes have no more power here, and you know it.
Another, ignorant, conspiracy loony!

Sent from my CPH1727 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

It took a while but I found it, there is an exemption from the scheme for "newly applying company directors", but that does not mean that you cannot join, just that you do not have to join within 30 days of starting work like everyone else has to.  However, it also says, "Any other person who is not an employee under Section 33 may apply to be an insured person under this Act by expressing his or her intention to the Office."

Hmm, thanks.

Maybe the clause is by 'expressing intention to the office' however from what I read (on ThaiVisa quite a few years ago) about others who have asked to join the scheme in the past this is usually always declined 

I also have been informed by 2 separate Thai accountants this is not possible and also by Thai company directors who themselves are not able to register (including a friend with their own company and the Thai national accountants themselves who own their own businesses).

I will however look into this further though I have asked accountants and Thai directors many times and they always tell me its not possible ????

2 hours ago, balo said:

I think you should read the whole thread first.  

His friend set up the go fund me page, a well known scammer living in Phuket. He is not stupid, better to let a friend handle the donations. Then they can share the profit. 

I have read the whole thread and you are clearly clueless, gullible or both as it`s full of mis-information perpetrated by the likes of yourself

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

It took a while but I found it, there is an exemption from the scheme for "newly applying company directors", but that does not mean that you cannot join, just that you do not have to join within 30 days of starting work like everyone else has to.  However, it also says, "Any other person who is not an employee under Section 33 may apply to be an insured person under this Act by expressing his or her intention to the Office."

Ok, I found the phrase also under section 40 of the social security act. So I just approached my accountant with this info again, looking into it with possibility of 'applying to pay the fund yourself'..

I think that sometimes its easier for some people to say a flat out 'no' rather than be bothered to look into 'clauses' or 'exceptions' for a foreigner so thanks I will pursue it and see what happens.

• Like 1

seems the go fund me has gone, no mention of it now on Robs channel, maybe he's cashed it in for the weekend?

Oh t's still there if you do a search, almost up to $5000, some people have more money than they need obviously

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

seems the go fund me has gone, no mention of it now on Robs channel, maybe he's cashed it in for the weekend?

Oh t's still there if you do a search, almost up to $5000, some people have more money than they need obviously

Still going strong and should reach the targrt soon.....Go Kev Go. all the best  :)    

https://www.gofundme.com/help-kev-in-thailand-beat-cancer

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

And more nonsense. As a cancer sufferer, he would be treated immediately.

Maybe you can`t read or just don`t understand. Looks like he was right not to come home and face potential delays if he could afford private treatment.

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

You realize your "news" is actually from 2008?

No I didn't.  I checked the date on top of the Daily Mail page and it read today's date.  Thank goodness for that!

How could you tell?

Edited by mommysboy

30 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No I didn't.  I checked the date on top of the Daily Mail page and it read today's date.  Thank goodness for that!

How could you tell?

If you enter inurl: before a www address of an article it often tells you the date it was published or if not then try adding &as_qdr=y15 to the end.

Edited by Kieran00001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I do read and understand. I go back to the UK annually and have a check up. I also receive my prescription medication from the UK (arrived today). I have also had my cancer treated in the UK. All for free and as a cancer patient I was prioritised and seen and started treatment within days. Also my wife, daughter and son-in-law all work in the NHS. It's Burt who doesn't know how it works or, more likely, is spouting his usual BS.

Feel free to let him mug you off.

Your like a broken record, me, me, me.