Go Fund Me appeal raises thousands for British man locked up in Thai jail

webfact

13 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

In the comments section

"The guy is known by my partner and has a heart of gold and wouldn't steal so those judging him by his looks need a long look at themselves, for what I can gather he picked it up and was looking for someone to hand it in and someone accused him of pinching it, the donations received are from people who know him and want his safe return apparently they've shaved his head in the prison so for what was meant to be a life changing adventure it's not so great so screw all of you making stupid remarks"

That’s the most money I’ve ever heard raised for a sponsored shaved head. 

Sounds like a BS story.

Where is the evidence he is actually in a Thai prison ?  People are so easily fooled, sure let's donate to get him out of "hell".  

Why hasnt this been reported by the Thai media ?

Why do they need 20 000 GBP for ?

Bail money is paid back and solicitors arent THAT expensive .

Rather suspicions as well, "finding a phone" and then trying to hand it in and then getting charged with theft 

13 hours ago, Skallywag said:

What amazes me is how these youngsters can afford their " amazing adventure travelling in Asia" as his mother says on the go fund me page. 

When I was that age I had to save for a year just for a weeks holiday travelling in my own country on the cheap.  Likely he still lives with mommy and daddy who feed him and keep a roof over his head.  

I think he had a mobile phone stall at the local market. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink ... say no more!

47 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why hasnt this been reported by the Thai media ?

Good question, normally we always hear stories about criminal farangs in Thailand.  Not this time. Maybe because it's all a lie? 

2 hours ago, balo said:

Good question, normally we always hear stories about criminal farangs in Thailand.  Not this time. Maybe because it's all a lie? 

If you don't believe it why don't you do some research and find out for real. Even go to the prison and check he is there.

Seems a bit outlandish to make up a story like this to get a few sovs.

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

20,000 Pounds?

Bail for theft is 100,000 Baht. International bail (run away and not come back) a further 50, 000.

That is under 4,000 Pounds.

Lawyer for the whole thing making it a grand total of 5,000. Why do they need so much more above this figure?

advance payments for the next time?

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

If you don't believe it why don't you do some research and find out for real. Even go to the prison and check he is there.

Seems a bit outlandish to make up a story like this to get a few sovs.

Only family can visit him in prison and theres nothing about this story in the media .

There have been numerous gofundme scams recently with people saying that they are in jail in Thailand

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

One of the most lawless places found on planet earth!

There are actually tons and tons of laws, just none of them are adhered to by the good folk of Thailand.

once you are in jail here, you are in jail. money is needed before the jail so it is too late anyway.

• 1 month later...

Now released and story picked up by Daily Mail. Family a bit light on how the 20k was spent - is there no requirement by GFM for any accounting or is it just looked at as free money? Seems that a chunk will be used for a celebratory knees up at the local golf club where the father is a member.

The comments are mainly rubbishing his story that he was about to hand back the mobile. His story has more holes than a swiss cheese.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6944559/Traveller-arrested-thrown-hellish-Thai-jail-picking-lost-mobile-phone.html