Regulators ground the Boeing 737 Max 8, but not in Thailand

webfact

UPDATE: Regulators ground the Boeing 737 Max 8, but not in Thailand

By The Thaiger

5be45ab38c35ab6e4f0b5c49-2732-1366.jpg

PHOTO: Thai Lion Air won’t be grounding their Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft

-- The digital flight data recorder for Flight ET302 from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to Nairobi, Kenya was located yesterday morning

-- Citizens of 35 countries are among the 157 people killed, including 32 Kenyans, 18 Canadians, nine Ethiopians and eight passengers each from China, Italy and the US

-- Multiple airlines have grounded Boeing’s 737 Max 8 aircraft

Singapore’s aviation regulators have now grounded the Boeing 737 Max 8. The Singaporean aviation authority has temporarily barred all variants of the 737 Max 8 from entering or leaving the city-state.

Along with Singapore, the following airlines and jurisdictions have announced they are temporarily not using the 737 Max 8: China, Indonesia, Ethiopian Airlines, Aeromexico, Cayman Airways, Comair Airways and Aerolíneas Argentinas.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s aviation regulator has scoffed at Chinese regulator’s lead in grounding the Chinese Boeing 737 Max 8. Only Thai Lion Air flies the now controversial aircraft in Thailand.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/update-regulators-ground-the-boeing-737-max-8-but-not-in-thailand

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Topdoc said:

More and more countries are grounding this plane. The list so far:

China (yesterday)
Indonesia (yesterday)
Singapore (today)
Australia (today)
Malaysia (today, just reported a few minutes ago)

UK just joined the club as well. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Another case of Thailand knows better than the rest of the World????

regards worgeordie

Is it Thailand or only Thai Lion Air.

It is a somewhat foolish attitude as apart from the Ethiopian crash the only other Max 8 crash back in October 2018 belonged to Lion Air.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I will not fly 737 Max.

You're claiming Thailand thinks it knows better than the world, when at the same time US and Europe do the same as Thailand.

You call it 'no Thai bashing', but it clearly is. And sometimes Thai bashing is justified, here it clearly is not.

Your post was simply incorrect, nonsense.

Who do you trust to have the best safety standards and checks on this aircraft, Thailand or the USA and EU?

That’s what I thought.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Who do you trust to have the best safety standards and checks on this aircraft, Thailand or the USA and EU?

That’s what I thought.

Which is why Thailand is following US in not banning. Not wise imo, but the usual Thai bashing is uncalled for.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Youlike said:

You're posting absolute nonsense...

France and Germany also banned this plane.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/03/bans-boeing-737-max-rolled-world-190312134422968.htm

Yes, they grounded after I reacted to his nonsense. So far Thailand has been following, let's see what happens tomorrow with both FAA,  European regulators and Thai reaction. My guess is Thailand will keep following, when they should be more active. Main mistakes were imo made by Boeing and FAA.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, they grounded after I reacted to his nonsense. So far Thailand has been following, let's see what happens tomorrow with both FAA,  European regulators and Thai reaction. My guess is Thailand will keep following, when they should be more active. Main mistakes were imo made by Boeing and FAA.

Thailand is still not on that list while loads of Asian countries are....

But we all know how the Thai think about safety...that's not thai bashing but the truth...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thailand is still not on that list while loads of Asian countries are....

But we all know how the Thai think about safety...that's not thai bashing but the truth...

And other Asian countries are not, neither is US, Canada, Europe only individual countries, aviation regulator is still allowing.

But you're distracting from my original post: saying 'only Thailand is not banning, as usual Thai know better' is simply nonsense when at that time US, Canada, all of Europe and many others Re not banning.

And that is what I said, so I'm out of here.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I got to tell you that as an engineer that tests and has tested avionics software for 20 years, including the 787, X-47B, CH-53, Global Hawk and numerous other programs, I don't' like Boeing's answer to the issue and the directive and instructions the FAA issued earlier for a "fix" or procedural work around.  Angle of Attack (AOA) is not something to monkey around with.  Fly by wire systems have tons of advantages, but I am still old school and want a lot of manual over ride available.  Many aircraft have crashed in recent years due to pilot confusion, misunderstood data and displays, etc.

So true all of the above.  I was always of the belief that the credo of pilots was "when in trouble aviate first".

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

So true all of the above.  I was always of the belief that the credo of pilots was "when in trouble aviate first".

I have heard that too. Makes sense. If trouble appears get some height to give you time to react and rectify.

• Thanks 1

Aircraft/engine make, model, and series: The Boeing Company Model 737-8 and 737-9 airplanes (737 MAX)

U.S.-registered fleet: 74 airplanes; Worldwide fleet: 387 airplanes

Operators: 59 operators worldwide: 9 Air, Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air Fiji, AIR ITALY S.P.A., American Airlines, Arkefly, Britannia Airways AB, Cayman Airways, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Comair, COPA Airlines, Corendon Airlines, Eastar Jet, Enter Air Sp. Z O.O., Ethiopian Airlines, Fertitta Enterprises, Inc., flydubai, Fuzhou Airlines Co., Ltd, Garuda Indonesia, Gol Linhas Aereas S.A., Hainan Airlines, Icelandair, Jet Airways, Jet Aviation Business Jets, JSC Aircompany SCAT, Kunming Airlines, Lion Air, Globus Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lucky Air, Mauritania Airlines, Mongolian Airlines MIAT, Norwegian Air International Lt, Norwegian Air Norway, Norwegian Air Shuttle AS, Norwegian Air Sweden, Okay Airways Company Limited, Oman Air, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Shandong Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, SilkAir, Smartwings, Southwest Airlines, SpiceJet, Sunwing Airlines Inc., Thai Lion, TUI Airlines Belgium, TUI Airways, Turkish Airlines (THY), United Airlines, WestJet, Xiamen Airlines

Back in November the FAA issued an emergency Airworthiness Directive "prompted by analysis performed by the manufacturer showing that if an erroneously high single angle of attack (AOA) sensor input is received by the flight control system, there is a potential for repeated nose-down trim commands of the horizontal stabilizer. We are issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products."

Appears that there was potential for the aircraft systems to get misleading AOA data (exceeding critical AOA = potential stall), prompting the systems to try and lower the a/c nose to reduce AOA. Of course if the AOA was not excessive, then there'd be too much nose down pitch. Not such a problem with altitude in hand but on rotation / climb out ... If pilots facing this situation are not fully trained to a) understand what's happening and b) how to correct, then that's not good.

The question to ask is this: if I'm flying on one of these aircraft, do I feel confident that the operator has acted upon the November 2018 AD and has also ensured all crews have received appropriate simulator training.

• Like 2