Embarrassing moments with the wife when traveling to Europe

davidst01

18 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Ah the Joys of Marring a Thai lady.

Good luck!  You married her, this is all on you.  I agree, traveling alone is EASIER alone, I would further that by saying living alone is easier emotionally/financially.  Now I rent/lease it, DO NOT buy it....my divorce taught me something.  If I buy it the "operating cost" is too HIGH...don't want that again...wish you safer/easier travels.   

5 hours ago, fouryesrs said:

why complain about your life choices...??? it tells a lot about yourselves...why marry somebody with the iQ of a snail and later complaining about it...if it needs to be a thai women that should be your life partner why not choose somebody from a high educated class....??? sorry i dont get it...

Cos the dumb ones are young, smoking hot and easy, duh ???? 555

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fouryesrs said:

why complain about your life choices...??? it tells a lot about yourselves...why marry somebody with the iQ of a snail and later complaining about it...if it needs to be a thai women that should be your life partner why not choose somebody from a high educated class....??? sorry i dont get it...

"fouryesrs" says it BEST!  This is your choice.  Why are you surprised? If you don't like it, the solution is simple...DO something about it, change it.  Definition of insanity: is doing the same thing over again, but expecting a different result.

A few years ago I went to a restaurant in San Francisco with my wife and a friend of hers who happened to be in the same part of the country.  We sat down, ordered our food, and while we were waiting to be served, they both picked up napkins and started to wipe down the cutlery! 

I gently reminded them that they were in the US and they both put down the forks and spoons with lots of embarrassed laughter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We travel back to the UK twice per year... We have a rice cooker at my parents house.

I can understand why.... I can't imagine living in Thailand and not eating some Western food for 2, 3 or 4 weeks. My Wife brings a 'bag of food' which is mostly noodles and sauces etc... 

At first I thought this was odd, but, its what my Wife wants and its much cheaper in Thailand than buying it in England.

Now my Wife has her own 'food cupboard' at my parents place in the UK !!! 

There are a couple of minor social mores missed by my Wife when traveling internationally - I see it as a little social clumsiness or just a lack of observational skills...

Examples such as when using the Shinkansen in Japan my Wife left her rubbish in a bag (attached to the coat hook), I had to pick the bag up and put it in the bin (copying what the Japanese passengers did) - never any major issues. 

My Wife once did me quite proud when our UK flight was heavily delayed (Etihad) and we transferred onto a Thai Airways flight Via Frankfurt.

As we queueing to board, German Immigration were quite assertive, with strong accents I had a little difficulty understanding. A poor Thai woman in front of us couldn't understand their questions and was told to stand aside. Next was my Wife, they saw her passport and asked her to also stand aside. She said, "No, why should I" ? !!!... so they questioned her in the line... "Where did you get your Visa?".... "From the British Embassy Via the VFS of course"... "OK, how long will you be in the UK?"... "26 Days"... "where are you staying?"... "With my Husbands Parents"... "Where are you staying?"... "Oh, you want an address, wait a moment !...  Here.... (and read out my parents address)"....  "How will you get there?".... "Limousine, of course !" (in quite an indignant tone).... "Oh, erm.. OK... Have a nice flight Madam".... I chuckled at their back-pedal as their tone immediately changed with the words 'Limousine'.... (which was actually just a normal car provided by Etihad)... 

My Wife handled her own with a rather loud, assertive and almost verbally aggressive German Immigration office who placed pressure on her when questioning - we had a giggle about it afterwards, I was quite proud of the way she handled it. 

German immigration is aggressive to anybody not just to Thais. 

5 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Had an embarrasing moment once when coming back to Thailand with my wife ,she had two large pots of marmite in her carry on bag , terrible a Thai that likes marmite,anyway luckily they let her put it in the suitcase so she did not lose it .

I would argue that Marmite is a solid (doesn't flow freely at room temperature), but it's hard to argue with stupid.

https://worldtravelfamily.com/how-to-carry-on-your-marmite-in-hand-luggage/

Edited by BritManToo

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

Another one, beyond belief.

Wealthy respected Australian law professor, multiple doctorates in law, also had given many law lectures at several prestigious Thai universities, also a severe alcoholic had visited Pattaya many times.

On one visit he spotted an expensive house and indicated on the spot (very drunk) that he would buy it. And within a few days the funds were in his bank account from Australia. His Thai lawyer arranged to pick him up the law professor at his expensive hotel the next morning to go to the LTO to effect the land transfer. Alcoholic law professor was also instructed to have the full name and copies of various documents with the Thai name to used on the land chanut.

Thai lawyer arrived at his hotel next morning, eventually convinced the hotel GM to open the guest room door so that he could make him wake up and get dressed. He had an 18 YO up country girl in his bed also asleep (both were dead drunk) and the law professor insisted that she come to the LTO because he wanted her to stay for several more days.

They all go to the LTO, the law professor had a cashiers cheque ready. Then the LTO staff ask for the name to be put on the chanut as the new owner. The drunk law professor in a flash indicates loudly 'put it in her name' then says to the girl loudly 'what's your name again' and he's also asking for a bottle of whiskey.

Bottom line, within an hour the girl has come back to the LTO with some personal documents and the transfer is completed. All attempts by the Thai lawyer to delay the transfer ignored by the law professor.

Within 1 or 2 days all the girls from the bar have moved in, then within a short time the new owners whole family has arrived in Pattaya and moved in and the law professor is back at a hotel. 

Sir Les Pattersons brother ?

image.png.f5c35275ac905180efe1bdc61efc5557.png

I was pulled out of the luggage claim going into the US one time. The agent claimed the dog had indicated marijuana on my person, and I should just tell them about it, as the dogs were 98% accurate, and it would go easier on me if I confessed.

I suspect this is just a line they use to try to rattle people into confessions. Same thing with "We've detected bomb residue." They say it to you to see how you'll react.

Another time, entering Canada from the US, they told me and my friend, they were going to search my car, and they sat us down in a waiting room. I could see the car out of the corner of my eye, and no one was searching it. It finally occurred to me that the big mirror on one wall was probably two-way, and that they were watching us to see if we were nervous.

In short, don't believe what they tell you.

• Like 2

Maybe it's different generations, but aside from bar girls and such I don't find most Thai girls to be that uneducated or ignorant. They're actually more "westernized" than, say, Japanese girls. Of course the bar girls are a different story, but you wouldn't wanna marry one anyway...
Funny you should say that,before i met my wife i did have a very pretty and quite young bar girlfriend for many months ,she was very inteligent, she now lives in the UK with her husband of many years has children and 2 busineses, she is a very respectable woman these days,you would never ever guess what she once did.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Funny you should say that,before i met my wife i did have a very pretty and quite young bar girlfriend for many months ,she was very inteligent, she now lives in the UK with her husband of many years has children and 2 busineses, she is a very respectable woman these days,you would never ever guess what she once did.

I always think Thai girls married to older white men were hookers.

No need for guessing.

• Like 1

I always think Thai girls married to older white men were hookers.
No need for guessing.
She is actually married to a guy only about 5 years older than her,while i am married to a woman quite a bit younger than me and have been for over 20 years ,yet my wife was certainly not a hooker,i met her through my business and her family are quite well off ,so you never can tell,also you see quite a few younger Thai women married to older Thai men , Although i am sure love comes into it with Thais its also a security thing.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

you see quite a few younger Thai women married to older Thai men

I think they're hookers too. What I think is 'up to me'.

Banging a guy for financial gain, 'security' and 'prostitution', only the contract length differs.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes it is, the professor from Australia is not a friend but I've met him several times.

He's now about 75 years old, permanently highly intoxicated, as he gets older his conversation is less and less comprehensible, less logical and without direction. He has no friends, people used to take him to restaurants for meals but they now avoid him because he's too difficult to cope with.

Since he moved to Pattaya he's had numerous serious problems with visa overstay and more.

He comes from a very wealthy family in Australia who have employed a Thai lawyer on a full time basis to watch over his affairs, plus a male Thai nurse lives in and makes sure he eats and showers etc., get's the small house he occupies cleaned, takes care of food and laundry etc.

The professor always has several business cards in his pockets with the Thai lawyers name and additional wording something like 'If you find this man please urgently call Khun xxxxxxxxx. A reward will be paid'. 

He still has 18 YO old girls delivered to his house, from my understanding nothing ever happens and the girls stay a couple of hours, get paid by the live in male nurse and go back to their bar.

He's been found a couple of time asleep on Jomtien beach in the early hours of the morning.  

My guess is that there's plenty of similar examples across Thailand and in every country in the world.

Wow. what a story. There are some real screw ups in thailand. alcohol is one of the biggest issues 

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I know all to well, mine did exactly the same but only did it once because never took her back to Europe again and never will.... we give them a nice life, money and so forth treat them nice and respect them but we can not change their education and unfortunately they don't have much of it

Grow some and you will understand that they can change. But of course it also depends on who you marry at first... (so you would need to grow some before marriage)

Edited by myshem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

A few years ago I went to a restaurant in San Francisco with my wife and a friend of hers who happened to be in the same part of the country.  We sat down, ordered our food, and while we were waiting to be served, they both picked up napkins and started to wipe down the cutlery! 

I gently reminded them that they were in the US and they both put down the forks and spoons with lots of embarrassed laughter.

And they say saving face is an Asian thing.

• Like 2

Last week me and my wife passed the automated customs at Changi singapore airport.

We arrived at the luggage check belts and she went to the shortest queue, for Staff and priority...i didn't go there.

From the other queue i watched her go, expected her to be sent back but they accepted her without issues.....

I told her she took the wrong lane but she said no ploblem i can do....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You seem a real bundle of fun husband!!! You should teach and explain and be patient with her. She is your vwife so invest in her to get the most out of her. Also if you did this it boost her confidence. I do not envy her as you seem a real joy to live with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Guess university degrees doesn't make them smarter. But do you even talk with your wife? I mean a simple chatt before you go anywhere,  because you seem to think she have been grown up by European parents, or do you enjoy when she makes errors

Edited by sead

2 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

You overlook their infantile demeanor when you start having all that great sex. It's sooooo cute.  But then you try to get on with your life in the real world and quickly realize what a huge handicap it is to be partnered with retard.

Guess that was your experience....

What about like attracting like?

:laugh:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:
19 hours ago, surangw said:

travleing  with any  Thai "raised" person has it  thrills

took my daughter to a local   super market    her first week in the U.S.   she announced in a loud voice pointing at a large mellon in the produce section  " look at the big fuk"

I swear the back ground "shopping music" stopped while all heads turned in our direction.

You were in a US supermarket - are you sure she was pointing at a melon?

You think it might have been a guava ?