Video: Motorcyclist and passenger thrown off in Sunday collision

webfact

Video: Motorcyclist and passenger thrown off in Sunday collision

9pm.jpg

Caption: Thrown off in a collision

Graphic dash cam footage showed what happened when a motorcycle with two people cut across a pick-up on Sunday afternoon. 

The pick-up brakes but as smoke rises they are unable to avoid a collision. 

Both people on the motorcycle are thrown off. 

Thai Rath said they had tried to investigate where the accident occurred and what was the result but so far without success. 

They printed many comments of people online talking about the incident after it was posted by "Kaewsatcha Benjakanjana" on Facebook and shared to the "Hear" accident site. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-01

WARNING: The following video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised

I'm disturbed by the graphic image smoke from the pickup's tires. It means the surface is probably liquified from the frictional heat of brake-lockup and have lost the ability to stop or even slow the pickup..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Actually you can reduce the chance of being hit from behind very considerably. (30 years of motorcycling)

I am not referring to this case as the video won't open for me.

How to greatly reduce the chance of being hit from behind.

1. Use your mirrors to see what is behind you constantly.

2. Maintain your space bubble.

3. Don't stay in a lane where your speed is less than the norm if there is an alternative.

4. If you see a vehicle too close behind you or approaching too quickly, accelerate out of the danger zone by changing lanes or getting in front of the vehicle ahead of you if possible or letting the vehicle behind you get past.

5. Always do a check over your shoulder when turning left or right, changing lanes, coming to a stop or pulling off.

6. At red traffic lights and stop signs be particularly aware of what is coming up behind you and position your motorbike where you are less likely to be hit and can escape forwards if necessary.

7. Always use your indicators.

8. When using U-turns be particularly aware of the speed of vehicles in the lane you are leaving or joining. Decelerate and accelerate hard when necessary to minimise the time spent at too slow a speed in too fast a lane.

You can never reduce the risk of being hit from behind to zero, but you can greatly reduce it with experience and thoughtful driving.

Or even safer park your steed in your Livingroom and use it as a coffee table at least until an out control pickup crashes though your wall and scolds you to death with your latte????

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The biggest fear of every motorcycle rider in the world is to be hit from behind, an area he can't see, control or act to avoid...

If the rider had bothered to look over his/her shoulder or even use his/her mirrors he/she wouldn't have moved into that lane until the truck had passed, usual crap driving from the indigenous population.

And yes I used the pause button a lot (smoke was coming from the pickups tyres prior to the collision) and also I used a magnifying glass to confirm the bike had mirrors, the rider was wearing a hoodie, too worried about getting a tan and not dead. 

Edited by Golden Triangle

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The biggest fear of every motorcycle rider in the world is to be hit from behind, an area he can't see, control or act to avoid...

That is what those shiny things on the handlebars are for.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Actually you can reduce the chance of being hit from behind very considerably. (30 years of motorcycling)

I am not referring to this case as the video won't open for me.

How to greatly reduce the chance of being hit from behind.

1. Use your mirrors to see what is behind you constantly.

2. Maintain your space bubble.

3. Don't stay in a lane where your speed is less than the norm if there is an alternative.

4. If you see a vehicle too close behind you or approaching too quickly, accelerate out of the danger zone by changing lanes or getting in front of the vehicle ahead of you if possible or letting the vehicle behind you get past.

5. Always do a check over your shoulder when turning left or right, changing lanes, coming to a stop or pulling off.

6. At red traffic lights and stop signs be particularly aware of what is coming up behind you and position your motorbike where you are less likely to be hit and can escape forwards if necessary.

7. Always use your indicators.

8. When using U-turns be particularly aware of the speed of vehicles in the lane you are leaving or joining. Decelerate and accelerate hard when necessary to minimise the time spent at too slow a speed in too fast a lane.

You can never reduce the risk of being hit from behind to zero, but you can greatly reduce it with experience and thoughtful driving.

yes indeed; the Thais do none of those things. 

59 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

The bike’s movement was fluid and predictable, albeit ill advised.

If the pick up was paying attention this could have been avoided

I am not so sure.

I measure from the bike crossing an imaginary line in line with the pick-up's nearside (i.e. the bike has now moved into the pick-up's path) to the pick-up's brakes going on as under a second. That is under normal conditions what one might expect.

It could be argued the pick-up driver could have seen the bike moving earlier and thus braked before the bike crossed into the pick-up's path. It is difficult to say but I know from experience these slow-motion diagonal manouevres across multi-lane highways by motorbikes or samlors are very hard to predict as they "come out of nowhere" in terms of where the driver is normally scanning for obstacles.

I would argue the chief reason for this accident was the bike changing lanes

i) without looking

ii) without indicating

iii) with a big speed differential to the pick-up

Personally I think the bike rider is moronic and a danger to others but here I am letting emotion override reason.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Motor scooter changing lanes without care and attention, pick-up driving too fast for conditions without due care and attention. Under-taking at speed in the inside lane (while not illegal in Thailand still dangerous, arrogant and stupid).

In short, typical Thai stupidity and unskilled, arrogant driving techniques exhibited by all.

And nothing will change (before the next 20+ pages of pointless suggestions).

Next.

Nailed it.... Thats exactly as it is...  and pretty much as it is in the majority of accidents we see over here where there is usually two parties at fault, or at least two parties which did not drive or ride defensively and avoid an accident. 

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I am not so sure.

I measure from the bike crossing an imaginary line in line with the pick-up's nearside (i.e. the bike has now moved into the pick-up's path) to the pick-up's brakes going on as under a second. That is under normal conditions what one might expect.

It could be argued the pick-up driver could have seen the bike moving earlier and thus braked before the bike crossed into the pick-up's path. It is difficult to say but I know from experience these slow-motion diagonal manouevres across multi-lane highways by motorbikes or samlors are very hard to predict as they "come out of nowhere" in terms of where the driver is normally scanning for obstacles.

I would argue the chief reason for this accident was the bike changing lanes

i) without looking

ii) without indicating

iii) with a big speed differential to the pick-up

Personally I think the bike rider is moronic and a danger to others but here I am letting emotion override reason.

I agree that it is the biker who is culpable, riding with an attitude of unjustified entitlement that I see ALL the time here and find infuriating, because if you hit them from behind after they have pulled in front of you from wherever, (and you are a falang), it’s your fault right?

All of your points are correct, but the bike could still have been untouched, but for the skill of the pick up driver, who, although in the right, was clearly not on the ball - more likely on the phone

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am an experienced motor cyclist who does regular road trips, Although I stick to the left lane most of the time there is no way I will be doing that if I see parked vehicles ahead of me. No vehicle on the second lane is going to slow down and let me pull out.

I don't care what any police or Thai "highway code" says, if I want to do a U turn or right hand turn ahead of me, I will be out in the far lane in plenty of time, and to hell with the left lane.

I'm amazed your not dead already.....you are on a scooter on a "highway" who obviously can't stay ahead of traffic coming in the second lane, then insist on going into the far right lane where the cars are driving even faster well before you want to uturn ???I doubt very much you are an experienced biker.

3 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

I agree that it is the biker who is culpable, riding with an attitude of unjustified entitlement that I see ALL the time here and find infuriating, because if you hit them from behind after they have pulled in front of you from wherever, (and you are a falang), it’s your fault right?

All of your points are correct, but the bike could still have been untouched, but for the skill of the pick up driver, who, although in the right, was clearly not on the ball - more likely on the phone

Yes, I would like to know the pick-up's speed prior to braking. It could be edifying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I’m guessing the pickup saw the bike in plenty of time to avoid them and maintained high speed too long thinking the bike would go to the outside lane. He wasn’t prepared to stop when they settled into his lane.

Very true observation, BUT in Thailand if a driver were to immediately and emphatically react to every bonehead move made by others around them, then their whole trip would be one of hard swerving, brake slamming, and horn honking. Totally impractical given the situation as it exists and may even make themselves a hazard to others. I never understand why persons driving motorcycles make a move that puts their lives in the hands of someone they've never met to react in such a way as to save their lives. Again and again I see it and this is the inevitable outcome of too many rolls of the dice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

I am watching my rearview mirrors like a hawk, and my SV650 will scoot forward fairly quickly. But this motorcyclist was crossing lanes without looking, or probably even signalling.