Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

webfact

23 hours ago, sandyf said:

You have been around long enough to know that truncating posts to deliberately change the context is out of order.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt here, that you did understand the context, didn't like it and tried to introduce your own agenda.

Oh gosh... not another pesky forumite with their 'own agenda'. Is that anything like a contrary opinion?

If you reckon the incumbents in the UK's lower house seem to be well in control of things, you just carry on, eh?

I paraphrased a quote that you cited from The Independent. I didn't see much else in your post that was relevant to that quote so I only quoted the bit that was salient to my opinion (and it is only an opinion) that Parliament has somehow lost it's focus and not just in the past couple of years either. I could have voiced my disagreement with your "50% isn't democracy" opinion but I did have other fish to fry.

Sorry if you see that as somehow changing the context of anything. I don't.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Here is a better link.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/more-than-90-of-irish-people-want-to-stay-in-eu-poll-reveals-1.3488112

The phone poll of 1,000 citizens over 18 was conducted by Red C between March 15th and 21st for the European Movement. 

????????That must have taken for ever to call them. Probably all from the same bar. Cheers for that Bomber you have made me laugh so much. I take it back, you have value on this forum. Thank you.

Show me a poll that says different...they are in the EU as that is where they want to be...unless there is a vote to leave polls are all we have to go off..find a one that supports your claim and post it otherwise you have lost.

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

But the point is that a poster was claiming that the 39bn payment was "undisputed", whereas in reality it appears to be a number 'picked from the air' with absolutely no justification.

Remember the 100 billion or so all over the media, how can anyone forget. That was during the debt calculations, but what nobody ever mentioned was the refunds. TM obviously wanted to keep quiet, looks good getting it down from 100 to 39.

I saw an interview at the time with one of the EU financial team and he said the refunds were yet to be established but in his opinion the final figure would lie between 25 and 45 billion.

I can only assume you have never had HP or a mortgage, but take it from me you cannot just walk away from financial commitments without facing some consequences.

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

Show me a poll that says different...they are in the EU as that is where they want to be...unless there is a vote to leave polls are all we have to go off..find a one that supports your claim and post it otherwise you have lost.

Obviously you don't know your history of Ireland. No credible polls are allowed now, after rejecting the Lisbon treaty and told to vote again (an EU Trait). The only ones, are those phone polls with a 1000 respondents.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/2122996/EU-referendum-Ireland-votes-against-Lisbon-Treaty.html

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Oh gosh... not another pesky forumite with their 'own agenda'. Is that anything like a contrary opinion?

If you reckon the incumbents in the UK's lower house seem to be well in control of things, you just carry on, eh?

I paraphrased a quote that you cited from The Independent. I didn't see much else in your post that was relevant to that quote so I only quoted the bit that was salient to my opinion (and it is only an opinion) that Parliament has somehow lost it's focus and not just in the past couple of years either. I could have voiced my disagreement with your "50% isn't democracy" opinion but I did have other fish to fry.

Sorry if you see that as somehow changing the context of anything. I don't.

The post was about people's understanding, and obviously I was wrong, the context went over your head and outside your agenda.

23 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

oh, thank you. You can read this in many leading news papers on the continent, they are longing still for their lost empire......"make Britain great again". 

Along with your earlier comment along the lines of being forced to use the language of the 'occupiers' or 'occupants', then I'm happier to see that you now have a chip for each shoulder rather than the burdensome one.

Honestly..we WILL pay back what we owe..tenner a month.
Austerity and all that[emoji23]

Remember the 100 billion or so all over the media, how can anyone forget. That was during the debt calculations, but what nobody ever mentioned was the refunds. TM obviously wanted to keep quiet, looks good getting it down from 100 to 39.
I saw an interview at the time with one of the EU financial team and he said the refunds were yet to be established but in his opinion the final figure would lie between 25 and 45 billion.
I can only assume you have never had HP or a mortgage, but take it from me you cannot just walk away from financial commitments without facing some consequences.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

who believes this can't be intelligent.

There are laws made by 27, and 27 voters. So everything is going it's democratic way. It's not for an advantage of a specific country but for the benefit of a community.

Spoken like the grateful recipient of an EU bail out.

22 hours ago, Grouse said:

I'm from the UK

The 17.4 were wrong

Massively wrong

Is that a new way of saying, "I was one of the 48.11%?"

I'm from Scotland BTW. With 62% voting to 'hing in', I consider they were (more) massively wrong.

1 hour ago, bomber said:

Democracy at work from our great sovereign british MPs and no interference from the EU or germany..i feel proud to be british,i fancy a bulldog tatt on the forehead and unionjack onesie and a visit to spoonies.

Hippocricy!

20 hours ago, Grouse said:

This should be a wake call to our strident but synaptically challenged friends!

Why?

With UK handily cushioned between Germany and France in the WB standings and only one-step behind France in the IMF league, what's so bad?

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Along with your earlier comment along the lines of being forced to use the language of the 'occupiers' or 'occupants', then I'm happier to see that you now have a chip for each shoulder rather than the burdensome one.

In that case he'll love this:

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Comparing income on the same basis makes sense.

The distribution of statistical income over the Population can not be read off.
The interesting question is how this income is distributed within a country.
Look at the GINI coefficients.

I hope you do not want to deny that Ireland has overtaken the UK per GDP per inhabitant.

They probably need to.

ei_uk.jpg.69e26118f4f482eeea58e6fda9a040b8.jpg

8 hours ago, david555 said:

But in Pattaya you meet then the Hospital bill after the taxiboys or bouncers stepped in to convince you …. just in Pattaya of course ...:cheesy:

But don't cavalierly discount the valuable fruit basket and case of Brands Chicken Extract when it does make the front pages.

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

From the CNN; can anyone see the irony in his statements? Maybe this makes him understand how people feel about the manipulated opinion poll of 2016. Lovely. 

Hardline Brexiteer Mark Francois then made a point of order. "It’s difficult to argue that you’ve had an extremely considered debate when you’ve rammed the bill through the house of Commons in barely four hours," he said. "That is a constitutional outrage."

"It went through in the end by one vote," he added. "That to me does not represent the long-term settled will of the House of Commons."

Since he only stepped up to the plate as Deputy Chair at the ERG last year, I guess we can't ask really him what he's been doing since the summer of 2016 either?

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

I share the view that the English (the biggest group in the union) should have their own parliament but I must admit that I had never heard of this lot til today:

More "right wing nutters". Nothing to see here. Move along now.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:23 AM, Topdoc said:

It's not a 'nightmare scenario', it's what the British people voted for!

Watch the video and see for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPcmebRH904&feature=youtu.be

Indeed exactly what we voted for project fear was proved wrong so they seem to start again with project fear two.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

??

Has anyone else been charged, imprisoned, released & able to vote while wearing a tag?

Wasn't there an MP who tried to evade a drunk-driving charge by having his wife take the fall? Can't recollect who and the full specifics but pretty sure it was business as usual with him for a while? Don't recall any tag wearing being mentioned but maybe that's because he was a white male a personal friend of the Chief Constable?

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

It amazes me how unbelievably stupid some people are:

1) You want to leave the single market to take back control, but then you don’t want to? 

2) You use “they are exporting far more to us then we do to them” as an indicator of negotiating power?

I understand people reading The Sun cannot be the sharpest knives in the kitchen. But are they really this intellectually challenged? Even my six years old nephew could see that this is devoid of any logic. 

63944D47-633C-4497-AFF4-C31378829AAE.jpeg

13 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Juncker said: “Yet I believe that a no deal at midnight on 12 April is now a very likely scenario,. It is not the outcome I want. But it is an outcome for which I have made sure the European Union is ready.

I think that is a clear line.

Parliament would revoke A50 if necessary 

53 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Indeed exactly what we voted for project fear was proved wrong so they seem to start again with project fear two.

I thought it appropriate to encourage my MP to press on with what we voted for....

Dear Dr Coffey

May I just thank you for the consistency with which you have recently voted.

I voted for BREXT because I wanted to leave the EU. I was fully informed by virtue of David Cameron's Chatham House speech and elsewhere.

I was aware that the devil was in the detail and, whilst I expected better cooperation from the EU (and a better performance from our negotiators) I am firmly in favour of leaving; in fact my resolve is probably greater after the treatment we received from the EU hierarchy.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The poor are always fixated on cash. Flight of capital and a seriously damaged economy is way over their heads. Pathetic really.

Archived