Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

webfact

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Like I said before, come back to reality. Parliament is sovereign and always has been. Referendums are non-binding and have always been. 

When the PM says

“the decision is yours, and yours alone. Not Parliament’s but yours”...….to my mind that's binding.

Are you saying Cameron didn't mean it, he was lying? 

Sovereignty has been done to death on this forum and I don't plan on spending the next 3 weeks revisiting old ground. My last word on this comes from a book by Prof Anthony King, "The British Constitution" and John Redwood.

All this changed when we joined the EEC., not only did Parliament cease to be sovereign, Britain itself ceased to be an old-fashioned sovereign state. The fact of being a member of the EU permeates almost the whole of the British government – to a far greater extent than most Britons seem to realise.

How great remains a matter of debate. Oddly, those who are the most enthusiastic supporters of the EU seek to play down its influence on our lives while those who loathe it see its tentacles everywhere.

This from John Redwood

Much of our law is now defined or influenced by EU law. There are laws Parliament cannot pass and stay within the EU legal framework. Our justice system is limited or controlled by membership of the European Convention on Human Rights. The judges of the ECHR, like the judges of the ECJ, can now dictate some of the answers to Parliament.

Your last word please!

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aright said:

When the PM says

“the decision is yours, and yours alone. Not Parliament’s but yours”...….to my mind that's binding.

Sovereignty has been done to death on this forum and I don't plan on spending the next 3 weeks revisiting old ground. My last word on this comes from a book by Prof Anthony King, "The British Constitution" and John Redwood.

All this changed when we joined the EEC., not only did Parliament cease to be sovereign, Britain itself ceased to be an old-fashioned sovereign state. The fact of being a member of the EU permeates almost the whole of the British government – to a far greater extent than most Britons seem to realise.

How great remains a matter of debate. Oddly, those who are the most enthusiastic supporters of the EU seek to play down its influence on our lives while those who loathe it see its tentacles everywhere.

This from John Redwood

Much of our law is now defined or influenced by EU law. There are laws Parliament cannot pass and stay within the EU legal framework. Our justice system is limited or controlled by membership of the European Convention on Human Rights. The judges of the ECHR, like the judges of the ECJ, can now dictate some of the answers to Parliament.

Your last word please!

the more european the better,better standard of living,better transport,better health service,better roads,rail,airports,less alcoholics and druggies,a less violent society and lower crime,less obesity (fat bastards) better education,i could go on

23 minutes ago, bomber said:

the more european the better,better standard of living,better transport,better health service,better roads,rail,airports,less alcoholics and druggies,a less violent society and lower crime,less obesity (fat bastards) better education,i could go on

You normally do go on and you are probably correct when you compare the EU to Darlington

29 minutes ago, aright said:

When the PM says

This from John Redwood

Your last word please!

I think you knew your constitution, and who can and cannot change that constitution, when you were voting. If not, you know it now. 

31 minutes ago, bomber said:

Point well missed.

"now your down talking an english town,not very patriotic of you,how selfish,a bit like nontabury claiming yorkshire to be "true england" yet there are mosques galore and it gets dark at 1500,these brexiteers are right oddballs "

I only chose Darlington because you said it was your home town and you said you couldn't wait to leave it for a new life in Portugal.

If you can't wait to get out it can't be much cop can it?

As for it getting dark at 15:00, it shouldn't affect you, seeing the light isn't your strong point.

7 hours ago, bomber said:

More illegal immigrants, more destruction of British values. I could go on

5 hours ago, aright said:

"now your down talking an english town,not very patriotic of you,how selfish,a bit like nontabury claiming yorkshire to be "true england" yet there are mosques galore and it gets dark at 1500,these brexiteers are right oddballs "

I only chose Darlington because you said it was your home town and you said you couldn't wait to leave it for a new life in Portugal.

If you can't wait to get out it can't be much cop can it?

As for it getting dark at 15:00, it shouldn't affect you, seeing the light isn't your strong point.

They were always places to get out of since time immemorial. The bright ones came to London.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, Patriot1066 said:

Did I vote for Barnier etc no I don’t think so!

Barnier is the EU's chief negotiator on brexit.

Are you trying to tell us you voted for the UK's chief negotiator on brexit?  "etc no I don’t think so!"

Oliver Robbins CB (born 20 April 1975) is a British civil servant serving as the Prime Minister's Europe Adviser and Chief Negotiator for Exiting the European Union since September 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olly_Robbins

Barnier is the EU's chief negotiator on brexit.

Are you trying to tell us you voted for the UK's chief negotiator on brexit?  "etc no I don’t think so!"
Oliver Robbins CB (born 20 April 1975) is a British civil servant serving as the Prime Minister's Europe Adviser and Chief Negotiator for Exiting the European Union since September 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olly_Robbins
Who is a very hard line remoaner

See phototapatalk_1554989961500.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

More illegal immigrants, more destruction of British values. I could go on

same same every developed nation on the planet,many immigrants fleeing wars started by our true master uncle sam and as an island we should be able to keep the numbers down but being british and hopeless have failed,i could go on

37 minutes ago, bomber said:

same same every developed nation on the planet,many immigrants fleeing wars started by our true master uncle sam and as an island we should be able to keep the numbers down but being british and hopeless have failed,i could go on

I hope not....????

1 minute ago, transam said:

I hope not....????

i was visited a hospital in the UK a few days ago to see a relative,i was gobsmacked at the amount of african staff,why on earth we have to rely on these people is mind boggling it seems the young females of the UK are more interested in claiming benefits and knocking out jam eaters than learning a profession,something sadly wrong

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

As it's quiet...

wasting his breath,sovereign govt will do as the sovereign govt pleases,as it always does,EU cannot even stop the will of of democratically elected MPs of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. Long live our sovereign goverment 

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

i was visited a hospital in the UK a few days ago to see a relative,i was gobsmacked at the amount of african staff,why on earth we have to rely on these people is mind boggling it seems the young females of the UK are more interested in claiming benefits and knocking out jam eaters than learning a profession,something sadly wrong

Perhaps the UK has made life to easy, which has worked both ways for nationals and immigrants.....Your Africans who came to work in the UK also won their lottery....

8 minutes ago, bomber said:

wasting his breath,sovereign govt will do as the sovereign govt pleases,as it always does,EU cannot even stop the will of of democratically elected MPs of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. Long live our sovereign goverment 

Well, this one ain't gonna live long!

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps the UK has made life to easy, which has worked both ways for nationals and immigrants.....Your Africans who came to work in the UK also won their lottery....

so its a UK doing not and not an EU thing as you were told by farage,tommy and co and you fell for it.

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well, this one ain't gonna live long!

correct the next one will be even more chaotic,we aint seen nothing yet,15-20 years of squabling ahead,while the EU just carries on as normal and laffing at the UK

Archived