Baht strengthening propels Thai outbound travel

webfact

By   THE NATION 

obt.jpg

FILE photo

DESPITE forecasts of an economic slowdown, Thai outbound travel is set to continue growing by 8-8.5 per cent this year after the baht continued to appreciate late last year, according to the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA).

ATTA president Charoen Wangananont estimates that Thai tourists visiting other countries will reach 10.92 million to 11 million this year, rising 8-8.5 per cent from the 10 million last year, with overall expected spending of about Bt330 billion. Spending is estimated at Bt30,000 per person per trip. For the past five years, the number of Thai outbound tourists has been rising 7-8 per cent per annum.

The baht’s appreciation has positively affected outbound Thai travel, reducing tour operators’ costs of tour packages by about 10 per cent even though prices of the packages are normally high during the current period, which is the high season for the Thai outbound travel market.

Given the large number of chartered flights carrying foreign visitors, particularly Chinese and Japanese coming to Thailand, Thai tourists have also been encouraged to visit other countries particularly Japan. The smog blanketing Bangkok and the northern provinces as well as the warm weather in Thailand are also encouraging more Thai tourists to travel abroad.

Thai tourists visiting Japan are expected to rise to 1.2 million this year from 1.13 million a year ago, while Thais visiting China are expected to remain steady at about 600,000.

“Thai outbound travel is growing well even though the Thai economy is expected to slow down this year. Presently, about 25 per cent of Thais visiting other countries travel with tour operators and the remaining 75 per cent choose to go on their own,” Charoen said.

During the Songkran festival – a peak season for Thai outbound travel – about 300,000 Thai tourists could plan their trips for 10 days from April 6-15 with estimated spending of Bt9 billion. The most popular destination is Japan, followed by the Europe. Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said the ministry expects 15.44 million Thai tourists to travel during April 11-17, up 8.66 per cent from last year’s Songkran period.

Within Bangkok and its vicinity, about 129,000 trips by cars, trains and boats are forecast during the festival, an additional 18,000 trips and 8.55 million passengers.

The ministry is also targeting reducing the number of accidents, death toll and injuries this year by 5 per cent.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Tourism/30367001

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-03

I wonder if this sudden ability and willingness to afford international travel will is large enough to affect the balance of payments with the outflow of baht. This might cause the central bank a few headaches as they try to balance competing demands.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

So good to be rich Bangkokian - to hell with the poor starving in the streets

Yes it must be nice to be rich,just would like to know where you see the poor starving in the streets?

You are talking about the US?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Careful, they may bring back western style ideas that adversely affect the unique Thai style, Land of Smiles type democracy. I hope the army is monitoring them on their return!

For every days o/s holiday = 1 days attitude adjustment (at your cost)

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

It's easy to spot the thai tourists overseas....if you see somebody sitting on the floor digging his/her nose you found one.

Yep, and specifically known to frequent boot sales and charity shops whilst picking the said hooter!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Perhaps the baht strengthening might also propel prospective inbound tourists to alternative nearby countries. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

During the Songkran festival – a peak season for Thai outbound travel – about 300,000 Thai tourists could plan their trips for 10 days from April 6-15

It's not just the Thais; lots of farangs are vacating prior to the annual waste of water.  Some may not return.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimSaints said:

So good to be rich Bangkokian - to hell with the poor starving in the streets

And you, a comparatively rich foreigner who can afford to live as an expat feeds how many street people a day? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Let's be real here, the ONLY Thais traveling for pleasure overseas are the Uber Rich and no matter the Bahts strength or weakness it's not going to effect their travel plans one iota. As for this b.s. about the Baht it's pure twaddle as it does not reflect the actual state of the buying power of the average Thai. Exports going in the tank on a monthly basis, GDP nearing crisis levels, household debt increasing, tourism dropping like a stone in a river, the recent election basically stopping any progress and the overall lack of confidence by the Thai people in any elected Parliament all lead to the obvious conclusion that the Baht is weak and is being kept at this phoney level by the Bank of Thailand purely for the benefit of the Ultra Rich.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Generally true, but I personally know of quite a few "working" girls holidaying with their "boyfriends" in Bali, Australia, and Europe. So make of that what you will as far as TAT numbers are concerned. As for the baht as soon as Thailand's foreign currency account goes down the value of the baht will drop. Not before. That is why I fully encourage the Junta to buy more Chinese submarines, high-speed rail, tanks, and fighter jets. When these goodies are delivered/built, the bill will have to be paid and the foreign currency accounts will lessen. Keep spending that foreign currency and as the tourist numbers also drop, so will foreign currency account and then the baht.

11 hours ago, lipflipper said:

the Baht is weak and is being kept at this phoney level by the Bank of Thailand purely for the benefit of the Ultra Rich.

Shows you have no clue what you are talking about. The Baht is Strong, not weak. The Thai bank could care less about Thais going abroad. The Thai bank walks a tight rope to be in the middle, good for exports, tourism and imports. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

The strength of the baht is amazing. 

It is now cheaper for me to go shopping at Lidl's in Penge (London) rather than Big C in Lat Prao. 

And I get to visit my sister too. 

Rooster. 

You should visit your sister but I believe you are mistaken. It is now cheaper to shop at M&S than Big C so don't be a tight arse :wink:

20 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

I wonder if this sudden ability and willingness to afford international travel will is large enough to affect the balance of payments with the outflow of baht. This might cause the central bank a few headaches as they try to balance competing demands.

There are a few Thai landholders that will accompany me on an extended border run.

This time, it is Cambodia, 3 months ago it was Laos.

The tour group will mostly be composed of older ladies.

My wife and I are the youngsters. (chaparones. lol)

These ladies have worked very hard all their lives.

And they are selling land to pay for their retirement holiday spree.

Their husbands all died years ago.

Land rich, money poor, they are finally living a life.

SKI trips we used to call it in Australia.

Spend Kids Inheritance

13 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

You should visit your sister but I believe you are mistaken. It is now cheaper to shop at M&S than Big C so don't be a tight arse :wink:

Really! Wowzer!

This Brexit stuff just gets better and better!

Rooster

Lots of Thais in Yangon , Bangkok Air flights full of them. Also in Siem Reap. In Scots market Yangon the jewellery counters were full of Thai ladies. You don’t see many Thais travelling in Europe though. Mostly, they are with their European boyfriends/husbands .I think it’s just easier visa wise, to visit neighbouring countries, and of course much cheaper. 

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

Now I get it why the baht is so high, the riches and the junta are getting good deals at exchange rates.

That is exactly why the Baht is allowed to rise...

On 4/3/2019 at 10:39 AM, lipflipper said:

Let's be real here, the ONLY Thais traveling for pleasure overseas are the Uber Rich and no matter the Bahts strength or weakness it's not going to effect their travel plans one iota. As for this b.s. about the Baht it's pure twaddle as it does not reflect the actual state of the buying power of the average Thai. Exports going in the tank on a monthly basis, GDP nearing crisis levels, household debt increasing, tourism dropping like a stone in a river, the recent election basically stopping any progress and the overall lack of confidence by the Thai people in any elected Parliament all lead to the obvious conclusion that the Baht is weak and is being kept at this phoney level by the Bank of Thailand purely for the benefit of the Ultra Rich.

We are not 'uber-rich'. I live within my salary here as does my wife. We take one local holiday per year and 1.5 international trips per year. Last trip was 3 weeks in NZ. We love travel and save for it. My wife has an office job pulling in 20k per month. Nothing special. We carry no debt.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

This is article is pure propaganda.

The rich elite in Bangkok have always been able to travel abroad.

What has bumped the numbers up in the last year or so are the hundreds of thousands of Thai men and women that, in the wake of four years of corruption and economic mismanagement, have had to travel abroad to look for work.  There are zero opportunities for them in their own provinces.  And if they go to Bangkok to work in a factory they don't make enough to save a single satang (even doing all available overtime).

My girl has 7 siblings and everyone of them is working overseas.  Only one of them (working in Israel) has a valid work visa.  The rest are staying as illegals on tourist visas.

It is all lies.  Outbound tourism has not increased one bit.  There is just a surge of 10% in the poor souls that have to head overseas to scrounge for work.

Interesting and highly ironic. Thanks for that.

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

That is exactly why the Baht is allowed to rise...

Exactly. Import raw materials, process here. Sell into market with 5% inflation. Developers and government purchasing big ticket items get a discount. The 1% get to export their wealth at record exchange rates. Insurance for when things really get ugly.

If it's Thailand, a scam can't be far away. We all know this as fact in our daily lives.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:25 PM, Jane Dough said:

The strength of the baht is amazing. 

It is now cheaper for me to go shopping at Lidl's in Penge (London) rather than Big C in Lat Prao. 

And I get to visit my sister too. 

Rooster. 

True. Cheaper and better value spending my money for Australia and New Zealand travels. Friendlier people, nature, less pollution... Okay, no Thai-style hookers, but not interested in them anyway.

14 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Exactly. Import raw materials, process here. Sell into market with 5% inflation. Developers and government purchasing big ticket items get a discount. The 1% get to export their wealth at record exchange rates. Insurance for when things really get ugly.

If it's Thailand, a scam can't be far away. We all know this as fact in our daily lives.

Most thai wealth is not in thailand, it stays offshore in Singapore and co. 

Has a reason there are Thais working at most Singaporean banks.

The whole tax system here is made so rich thais never pay a decent amount of taxes, the only good thing is we benefit too...