Why are Thai so reluctant?

Every year when I renew my retirement extension, one document is a 'rental contract' for my girlfriends house, just a simple one page (in Thai) saying who the owner is, and my details. It also needs a witness, basically to say we both live there permanently.

The village has many of her relatives within walking distance, but every time I need a new form signed nobody wants to sign it. I try to explain they are not signing anything for which they may be liable for or has any financial implication. Only one cousin is happy to sign it, but only in return for 2 large bottles of Chang. He is also the only one who we can call when the immigration turn up for a home visit, 2 more beers. 

The last home visit we couldn't find him for ages as they came unannounced. He is a very busy builder, he built our house and did a great job, he's friendly but I still find it all a bit strange. Of course my GF finds this 100% normal.

What's the reluctance to sign a simple document?

Edited by Saltire
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

What you should be asking is this after years.
Why won’t immigration just take you and your wife’s word you are living in the same address already reported? Some half drunk builders word means what exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He could ask that question all day and he would get the same answer from immigration, we need.

• Like 2

Unfortunately helping out without payment is ingrained here, as you see it costs you two large beers.

Nothing to do with scared about signing anything, bet those that refused first time were offered 1,000 Baht would soon do it.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Only one cousin is happy to sign it, but only in return for 2 large bottles of Chang. He is also the only one who we can call when the immigration turn up for a home visit, 2 more beers. 

I had to reply with a "laugh" to this - because it is just how things are done. 

I suspect the others don't want to sign, because they might have to talk to authorities as a result (or think they might), and don't want to be shaken-down by them.  It's not just farangs who have to put up with the corruption - and the corruption teaches every Thai that "payment" for such things is "normal".

The good thing, is you don't have to give immigration something "extra" to get your extension ... or, perhaps, that is why they keep pestering you for this pointless thing, year after year.  But, it could be a district-office requirement, and paying-off 2-levels of IOs could be expensive.  All, to "Let you stay and continue supporting your Thai wife."  Ironic, eh?

Two beers is a pretty good deal, if you asked me.  When/if I have to deal with the imm-office up here (boonies), I expect to pay my local-politico "witness" some good whisky plus gas-money, and provide an envelope for him to pass to the IO, so they will accept my "non-state pension" income (evidenced by foreign-xfers to a Thai bank).

• Like 1

This is a job for the village headman. The locals know this and steer clear.

I am surprised that you require this for a retirement extension. Which office wants this sort of witnessed statement.

Edited by Briggsy

This is for Kanchanaburi office, which is great to deal with actually. Everything is above board and friendly, actually presenting the paperwork and leaving takes 30 minutes. My puzzle is why no one is keen to sign a perfectly innocent document (including the village chief and his wife who live next door). Even the home visits are very pleasant and good humoured.

I am in my 3rd year in the same home but it's still a challenge every year apart from this year as I managed to get the  builder (one of the few in the village not a drunk actually) to sign one for next year while he was here ???? . He is also one of the few very well educated residents and gave me a very good price to build my home, so I am not complaining, just curious.

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am in my 3rd year in the same home but it's still a challenge every year apart from this year as I managed to get the  builder (one of the few in the village not a drunk actually) to sign one for next year while he was here

Has immigration stated you need the rental agreement.

Most offices would accept a statement form your girlfriend you are living in her house with a copy of her house book and ID card  signed by her attached.

• Like 1

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/diaspora/10-indians-arrested-in-thailand-for-fake-marriages-20-at-large/693781.html

This is the problem Thai Immigration is trying to address. 

Thailand's Immigration Bureau Chief Surachate Hakparn on Tuesday instructed all immigration units throughout the country to crack down on foreigners on suspicion of possibly commit crimes and jeopardise national security. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Has immigration stated you need the rental agreement.

Most offices would accept a statement form your girlfriend you are living in her house with a copy of her house book and ID card  signed by her attached.

Yes on my first application to change from Tourist Vis to Non-im O retirement i was short this piece of paper and a medical report. The rental agreement I got from a stationer shop, its just a pad of pre-printed, generic pro-formas.

They have I reckon the longest list of all the offices. I also have to give a police check obtained each year from the UK and the usual fabian baan etc.

51 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure this is a "Thai thing."  I myself refuse to sign anything unless I initiated it.  Some of the responses on here are strange.  Do you guys just sign stuff for anybody who ask?   

HA.  Of course every issue that people do not agree with or can attack and be negative is all a "Thai thing" don't you know. ????

I am on board with you.

Even in my home country someone knocks on the door wanting signatures I say sorry.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
On 4/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, Berkshire said:

Not sure this is a "Thai thing."  I myself refuse to sign anything unless I initiated it.  Some of the responses on here are strange.  Do you guys just sign stuff for anybody who ask?   

HA.  Of course every issue that people do not agree with or can attack and be negative is all a "Thai thing" don't you know. ????

I am on board with you.

Even in my home country someone knocks on the door wanting signatures I say sorry.

The OP was talking about family-members, though.

A couple of years ago I was in a government office completing a transfer of land and needed my signature witnessed. Office staff were not allowed to help so I had to ask one of the other people waiting. By signing all they were doing was stating they had witnessed me sign the document, nothing more, nothing less. I had to ask five people before someone would agree... this was in in Australia btw...

On 4/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, baansgr said:

Unfortunately helping out without payment is ingrained here, as you see it costs you two large beers.

Nothing to do with scared about signing anything, bet those that refused first time were offered 1,000 Baht would soon do it.

1000 baht tea money is unavoidable

Thanks for the comments, as long as the cousin doesn't disappear I will be fine to continue here! Incidentally in my 3 years here I have never encountered a situation where tea money was paid. Previously in Cambodia, different story.

Have a great weekend 

I don't sign nothing, no way, for nobody ... unless legally demanded of me. And I'm not Thai. 

It's a legal contract. I don't know all possible repercussions, especially being that I am an "alien" here. Next thing you know, I'm pulled into some nefarious dark web of intrigue. Nope. I don't know a hooker from a hand grenade, but I know how to say no. 

• Like 1