Thailand's rising political star charged with sedition

rooster59

2 hours ago, dave moir said:

Why wasn't he charged in 2015 when he supposedly committed the offenses?

Why bring it up when his party may help stop the military staying in power????

I think you answered your own question.

• Like 2

Just now, sjaak327 said:

The charges that actually led to a conviction were trumped up. There is little doubt everywhere in the world. Reason why both can freely travel the world. 

These charges are trumped up as well. Technically speaking, he aided someone that broke no law. the 2007 constitution allowed Thai citizens the right to protest. that constitution was torn to pieces illegally, and before the criminals that did this are charged, any other charge is meaningless. 

The wrong person is being prosecuted, Prayuth should be charged for tearing up the 2007 constitution and staging a coup. And he should be taken care of urgently, as what they are doing now will no longer stand. They must realize this is not last century, and Thailand will face immense pressure if this charade will continue. 

I am afraid to come out and say that i agree with you.

Thousands have taken to the streets of the Algerian capital to try and effect regime change. This is the seventh successive week of protests in the country after Friday prayers. Let's see some action from the youth of Thailand if they are serious about getting their country back.

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

40 years ago. And nearly 20 years ago, 200 young unarmed not violent Thais shot and killed in Bkk.

Given the recent aggressive intimidating statements from the current army chief (his father was the army general who ordered the attacks on civilians nearly 20 years go) I'm not surprised people are hesitant to physically join protests or support groups. 

Look what happened to the Redshirt protestors just a few years ago. The military came out guns firing.

4 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Millions is unrealistic but why not a decent chunk of the youth that voted for him in Bangkok.

In the UK in the eighties people took to the streets in their millions to protest Poll Tax and that was far less menacing a prospect than what is happening here. 

Nonone was calling for violence. All they had to do was stand there. When we were youth we travelled all over southern England to protest Poll Tax.

I think you need to study the history of the uprising by students in 1975. Thousands of students were detained. Many were hanged and burned from street lights outside the grounds of Thammasat University and many others were massacred/murdered. Female students were stripped to the waist and made to sit crossed legged within the grounds.  None of them had offered violence. The general in charge was the father of the current general in charge of the Army .

As I understand it...……...

• Like 2

Just now, Trevor Collins said:

Thousands have taken to the streets of the Algerian capital to try and effect regime change. This is the seventh successive week of protests in the country after Friday prayers. Let's see some action from the youth of Thailand if they are serious about getting their country back.

What and get shot up by the trigger happy military..  You must be kidding this is Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I think you need to study the history of the uprising by students in 1975. Thousands of students were detained. Many were hanged and burned from street lights outside the grounds of Thammasat University and many others were massacred/murdered. Female students were stripped to the waist and made to sit crossed legged within the grounds.  None of them had offered violence. The general in charge was the father of the current general in charge of the Army .

As I understand it...……...

No, you're confusing 1976 with 1992. The current leader of the army is the son of one of the coup leaders in 1991, not 1976.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, somo said:

The Junta sees Thanathorn in the same way it sees Taksin and his family so they are employing the same tactics to get rid of the threat. Trumped up charges worked for them in the past so why not again? Well it may be different this time or the start of something different. This young man has gained the attention and support of some of Thailands biggest trading partners who are waking up to the ridiculousness of the political situation whereby no one but the Junta are allowed to win. If they exert economic pressure others inside the country may start to worry and support change.

Let's hope the general populace gets behind him and forces the current leadership to respect the will of the people who are actually paying attention (as opposed to those who voted on the status quo because they had not be tracking the campaigns of opposition parties). Thailand has a choice to make regarding giving away their country to a select few that took it by force or taking it back for the Thai people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thanathorn is accused of breaking article 116 of the Thai criminal code, the equivalent of sedition, and article 189, for assisting others who committed a serious crime, the police summons showed.

He could face up to nine years in prison if found guilty.

Could have been a much more serious sentence really, just imagine what he might have received for picking mushrooms, a very serious crime indeed, 30 years.

56 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

After thirty-two years here, it is sad to see history repeating itself yet again, and Thailand returned to tinpot dictatorship, with constitutions routinely flouted and the rule of law repeatedly corrupted by self-serving poodles of the establishment. 

The rule of law in Thailand revolves around money , patronage , and the power to pervert the course of justice using a hand picked judiciary and brute force. Sadly , it is not something set in stone equally binding on everyone equally. These are some of the issues Thanathorn wants to address and correct and this is why they are out to burn him down.

He says he is nervous about the military court as well he might be knowing in advance what the outcome will be.

But  here is perhaps a chance to demonstrate leadership qualities by announcing he does not recognise the military court and refusing to meekly turn up and play their game.

One of the reasons I admire Sombat Boonngam-anong  is his fearless resistance to the junta and his refusal to obey their edicts as when he refused their summons after the coup and went into hiding in the  'catch me if you can ' case. Sure , a cynic will say that he was eventually caught but he made his point and didn't just turn up with his tail between his legs.

19 minutes ago, bannork said:

No, you're confusing 1976 with 1992. The current leader of the army is the son of one of the coup leaders in 1991, not 1976.

Doesn't make all that much difference to who's daddy is whose daddy, both ended up with similar results, the military overran and beat the shit out of the students. 

I find the words junta or pro junta quite repugnant and fail to accept they have a legitimate role to play in a democratic election process. 

This simply highlights the role of the Thai armed forces. Not to serve and protect but to control its citizens. This may quickly develop into something quite opposite to what could be deemed a democratic process and hopefully foreign observers react in a manner befitting the junta’s unacceptable behaviour. 

This will get ugly and display to the world just how little this mob deserve any semblance of recognition as a democratically installed government. Let them proceed down this path at their own peril and may the rest of the world condemn their actions but not sure theire are too many with balls enough to say or do anything. 

If there is such a thing as karma them P and his cronies are going to have one hell of a next life. Hopefully cleaning toilets with their tongues and may they live a long unhappy life. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Given the gravity of the situation and the 6M votes I am pretty certain he is saying that the Thai’s are a spineless bunch of apathetic drones with no moral compass and no drive and ambition and no ability to think for themselves.

How many students are there in Bangkok? Where were they? All they had to do was go and stand there...there would of been no risk.

Like no risk in '73, '76 and '93 ?

• Like 1

...rising star.....????

...some people suggest....'a mere puppet that stands to share in the spoils'.....

....and any association with any puppet master is not democracy.....

....and a disservice to the country and the people of Thailand.....

...gotta wonder where this drivel originates from....

...and why anyone would want to repeat or perpetuate it....here....

...Thais don't stand a chance unless the cancer is eradicated....

...all such tumors included....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Everything is going according to the junta plan, Prayuth in power for the unforeseeable future, no competition. 

Big Joke must take it easy so no more media stunts from him . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, z42 said:

Absurd that a coup installed regime is legally permitted to file such suits. 

How any regular citizen can support the Junta on matters like this is mindblowing. It's morally bankrupt, and then some

Government is currently in caretaker mode.  They dont have the power

8 hours ago, bowerboy said:

The representatives from the 10 countries was impressive.

If this was such a big global message then please can you post a link about it from any non Thai source when and if such exists.

Members of the UN, EU plus some other countries. News from the Thai press. I doubt its a global message, but interesting they would turn up to wish him the best. image.png.4d334472598b3bcc3fe25198674f5571.png

Edited by DavisH

40 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Government is currently in caretaker mode.  They dont have the power

And hopefully even less shortly, although the other mob don't deserve it either. 

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

He's going to be charged with obstructing the trough.

And that is an extreme no-no and  requires the full force of the law to be vigorously applied - immediately.. 

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Members of the UN, EU plus some other countries. News from the Thai press. I doubt its a global message, but interesting they would turn up to wish him the best. image.png.4d334472598b3bcc3fe25198674f5571.png

Bet the dummy was spat-out and the teddy bear thrown from the pram after these photo's were released. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nip said:

And the manner in which you voice what is really your own opinion is no better ie behind the big boys petticoat. The i'm asking for a friend of mine comment in case you might be charged for your comments. Cowardly!...  I think you both underestimate the Thai students. It is a time like with all great generals that when they are at their strongest they appear to be at their weakest and vice versa. The situation in Thailand needs cool heads at the moment and that is what he/they ie Future Forward are requesting because it's not looking good yes Thais can be sloth like and apathetic but I think there can be only one outcome if F Troop don't give the power back to the people. I follow CSI LA and every day he is posting evidence of blatant NCPO corruption that never makes it into the main stream media. And this is being read and commented on by hundreds of thousands of young Thais. Its a bit like in school when the fat guy who is been provoked hits back. 

Precisley my point....it’s all just comments on Facebook and petitions signed online....completely meaningless and typically Thai.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

I risked my freedom and ran exactly the same risks during the poll tax riots in the UK and was involved in physical confrontations with the police during that time as were millions of others....in this case it is not my country and I really don’t care about the people here when they don’t care about themselves and so of course I am not going to get involved.

But when I was a youth I most definitely did and I was not politically aware or politically motivated...I just knew right from wrong and did something about it as did millions of others.

No difference other than what is happening here is even more unjust and evenly more blatantly obvious.

I have some understanding about your past position. However it is in no way comparable to the present situation in Thailand.

• Like 2