Who really suffers

23 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

That is definitely the way to go and when my time is near, the missus will haul my sorry old carcus into the bank so I can clean out the 800k avoiding lawyers and such. 

If you can achieve that..  how about using internet banking. If you keep the 800k in a savings or current account you should be able to transfer it.

21 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes at that age i would transfer the condo, car, bank account into my wife/girlfriends name so if i croak overnight she has the money there already.

Let us hope she is still there too! ????

My wife and i have joint bank accounts in the UK and she knows my pin nos over here,as i know hers ,she owns the car and the house,ive trusted her for over 20 odd years ,still do , would hate to be married to a woman i dont trust. Anyway our son would be highly cheesed off if she left me lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Yes at that age i would transfer the condo, car, bank account into my wife/girlfriends name so if i croak overnight she has the money there already.

I have read many similar posts along year. It's a good thing to assure she will get everything you want she get, but after that, what would happen to you if ever she dies before you? :ermm:  (accidents happen)

9 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have read many similar posts along year. It's a good thing to assure she will get everything you want she get, but after that, what would happen to you if ever she dies before you? :ermm:  (accidents happen)

The husband still inherits, but must sell all Thai land within (I believe) one year.  A will is a good idea for both parties.

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why all the talk about leaving Thailand because of the retirement extension rule changes?

There are other options........like getting a multiple entry Non-Imm O. Just means that you will have to do visa runs. It also means no more 90 day reporting.

And available in Malaysia and Laos - so depending on health (for border-runs), yes.  But I see that is more of a stop-gap measure to get through the time needed to get 12 foreign-xfers logged - especially for the offices that are not doing the "leniency" bit this year. 

For those who cannot deal with the transfer-regimen or make trips-out every 90-days, there is that, or a once per 2 year trip to their passport-country for a Non-O-A.

7 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why all the talk about leaving Thailand because of the retirement extension rule changes?

There are other options........like getting a multiple entry Non-Imm O. Just means that you will have to do visa runs. It also means no more 90 day reporting.

Out of curiosity, what is the visa run frequency? Are land border runs acceptable, or does it have to be by air?

Well, that makes it clear...for so many people, it is less stressful, feel more secure, to do the retirement visa 800K baht and the 90-day report thing rather than a border run every 3 months,...although I can see that many others would prefer doing an air trip and so on twice per year.

1 minute ago, Cat ji said:

Well, that makes it clear...for so many people, it is less stressful, feel more secure, to do the retirement visa 800K baht and the 90-day report thing rather than a border run every 3 months,...although I can see that many others would prefer doing an air trip and so on twice per year.

I suppose one has to weigh up the opportunity cost of 800K baht on deposit at low interest, against the cost of getting the visa in one's home country, and the cost of travel and accommodation crossing borders every 90 days. I am not far from Mae Sai, and have to go back to Australia every six months, so the O-A non-imm is an option if the screws get tightened further.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

I can get a one year visa in a neighboring country based on being retired? Year after year? Showing them what exactly? Really?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can get a one year visa in a neighboring country based on being retired? Year after year? Showing them what exactly? Really?

Yes.  I have seen success-reports from Penang and Savannakhet.  To be clear, this is the Visa with 90-day permitted-stay on each entry. 

Financials required are 800K bank-money or 65K/mo or Combo.  Bank-money and/or mo-income can be shown in a foreign-account.  Proof of income can be an embassy letter from the country where you are applying and/or pension documents and bank-statements showing them being deposited. 

From Penang, there is more history on successful reports.  From Savannakhet, just a couple I recall.  This is not something we have a ton of reports on, so I would expect possible issues until we have several with exact lists of what was supplied.  Here is one from Savannakhet:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1081801-multi-entries-non-o-retirement-non-immigrant-for-being-retired-but-multi-entry-where-to-get-it-around-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=13799322

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  I have seen success-reports from Penang and Savannakhet.  To be clear, this is the Visa with 90-day permitted-stay on each entry. 

Financials required are 800K bank-money or 65K/mo or Combo.  Bank-money and/or mo-income can be shown in a foreign-account.  Proof of income can be an embassy letter from the country where you are applying and/or pension documents and bank-statements showing them being deposited. 

From Penang, there is more history on successful reports.  From Savannakhet, just a couple I recall.  This is not something we have a ton of reports on, so I would expect possible issues until we have several with exact lists of what was supplied.  Here is one from Savannakhet:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1081801-multi-entries-non-o-retirement-non-immigrant-for-being-retired-but-multi-entry-where-to-get-it-around-thailand/?do=findComment&comment=13799322

Interesting.

I'm skeptical though. 

So they allow deposits into non-Thai bank accounts?

Also the combo method has become more complicated.

The shift that I have heard is that the trend is for embassies and consulates abroad to become much closer in SYNCH with Thai immigration policies in Thailand.

So what I'm saying is hopefully that would work to get an O visa to then apply for a later extension in Thailand.

But to count on doing that annually indefinitely, I seriously doubt that would be reliable. 

More like stopgap type thing potentially for people that need to finish up their business in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Cat ji said:

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose one has to weigh up the opportunity cost of 800K baht on deposit at low interest, against the cost of getting the visa in one's home country, and the cost of travel and accommodation crossing borders every 90 days. I am not far from Mae Sai, and have to go back to Australia every six months, so the O-A non-imm is an option if the screws get tightened further.

Yes. Although i'm rethinking it now,...going to my home country to get new visas would get expensive.

...And the fact still remains, the 800K baht is an opportunity for me to get some money in a safer place, but now i've procrastinated too long...

Edited by Cat ji

On 4/9/2019 at 10:42 AM, mlkik said:

I do not understand how people think that it is a bad deal. All that is needed to relocate and retire in Thailand is 800 000 baht in a Thai bank account.

Thai people have to me much tougher requirements even to get a visa for a short holliday.

Why are people so arrogant that they think they are entitled to get something for nothing ? 

If it's not such a bad deal, why don't you move all you cash / assets here?  ????

You know why you don't, and the 800k should be no different. 

Edited by Thailand Outcast

No offense intended, but I find it almost comical that you are discussing bank interest and it's impact on your estate value. I say comical because bank rates around the globe are just a sorry joke. 

For that to be even remotely relevant you must have one huge pile of money in the bank!

Of course you will earn the best of the atrociously pathetic rates with timed deposit products like CDs. Talk about having your money tied up! 

If I had that kind of money in a bank I'd be deeply concerned about more likely threats like bail-ins or outright confiscation as sovereign debt reaches an inevitable breaking point. 

Personally, I'm getting out of fiat currencies and more into tangible assets like real estate, metals, and collectibles.

And NO, I don't trust banks as far as I can throw them, and I'm a 97 lb weakling!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 3:31 PM, fforest1 said:

In a nutshell....Thailand offers no social benefits to Expats at all.....They give no legal rights to Expats at all...They offer no long term visa security to Expats at all, and no the few PRs issued dont count....The offer no ability to work,and no the few work permits issued dont count....

The only thing good they offered a Expat was a easy visa...

Well folks with out a easy visa the Thai government is offering Expats a grand total of NOTHING what so ever....

Correct.

The sad thing is, you could be here for 20 years, with a property, vehicles, wife, kids, maybe even a business, but you will still have no more rights than the tourist coming here for the first time on a 30 day visa exemption stamp.

On that basis, why would you move 800k here, let alone your asset base? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

On that basis, why would you move 800k here, let alone your asset base? 

Because Thailand is a financially stable country, firmly in the USA-based global financial system. And unlike many others and we.are.not.all in North America/Europe/whatever-former-European-colonies.

On 4/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Let's forget about the house, because it's in your wife's name. Let's concentrate on money. You claim that because you have brought money into the country in the past, that this should count against your extensions in the present and the future.

If this is the case, someone who has lived here for twenty years should have easier targets to meet than someone who comes for a two week holiday a few times and then decides to retire here.

What if someone who has lived here only five years has brought in twice the amount of foreign currency that someone who has lived here ten years?

I think the above examples show that your suggestion is unworkable and a tad silly. You have pushed it because it is beneficial for you only. Should be filed under Wishful Thinking.

I don't think an easier visa should exist based on the amount of money you have bought into Thailand. (very large investments aside)

What I do think is Thailand should reward good character by making visas easier the longer one stays here.

Someone here for 20 years, who has never come under the notice of police, or immigration, still has to jump through the same hoops as someone going for their first visa.  

We know permanent residency is basically unachievable here, but it's quite insulting there is no recognition, by way of an easier visa, after 5, 10, 15, 20 years of residing in Thailand. 

I'm not complaining.  Just saying. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

Because Thailand is a financially stable country, firmly in the USA-based global financial system. And unlike many others and we.are.not.all in North America/Europe/whatever-former-European-colonies.

How can a politically unstable country be financially stable?  ????

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

I'm skeptical though. 

So they allow deposits into non-Thai bank accounts?

Also the combo method has become more complicated.

The shift that I have heard is that the trend is for embassies and consulates abroad to become much closer in SYNCH with Thai immigration policies in Thailand.

Yes - deposits into foreign-accounts are not a problem, used in combination with pension-letters.  The best, still, would be an embassy-letter - which may be available in a consulate in another country, even if not one's consulate in Thailand (any more).

The "money in the bank after you apply" junk doesn't apply to Consulate-Visas (Non-O or Non-OA) - so combos for Visa applications are not complicated by this - only in-country "extensions of stay."

The synch-change I have seen recently, was required pre-seasoning of funds for Non-O-A applications - just in the UK, so far (that I know of).

So what I'm saying is hopefully that would work to get an O visa to then apply for a later extension in Thailand.

Non-O Single-Entries at those 2 consulates are common - usually used to be able to apply for an extension-of-stay in Thailand w/o a "non-o stamp" from an immigration office here (which can be problematic).

But to count on doing that annually indefinitely, I seriously doubt that would be reliable. 

The same as staying in Thailand, generally, given recent trends.  Everyone should have a "Plan B" at the ready.

More like stopgap type thing potentially for people that need to finish up their business in Thailand. 

That too.  I would not count on anything lasting.  They can change the rules at any time with little or no notice.

6 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I don't think an easier visa should exist based on the amount of money you have bought into Thailand. (very large investments aside)

The investment-based extension requires 10M Baht in specific types of investments, including new condos.  I think it's a shame they don't expand that list and provide some sort of offsets to other extension-types. 

For example, someone buys a condo, so should not be required to show as much income or money in-the-bank for a retirement-extension as a renter. 

Same for a married-to-a-Thai building his family a house - why not cut a break to encourage this?

6 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

What I do think is Thailand should reward good character by making visas easier the longer one stays here.

Someone here for 20 years, who has never come under the notice of police, or immigration, still has to jump through the same hoops as someone going for their first visa.  

We know permanent residency is basically unachievable here, but it's quite insulting there is no recognition, by way of an easier visa, after 5, 10, 15, 20 years of residing in Thailand.  

I'm not complaining.  Just saying. 

The attitude of the unfriendly-clique of IOs seems to more be of, "Why don't you go home, already?"  And if married to a Thai, "Why don't you take her to your country?"  Just look at their faces as they put in your stamp, and you can tell whether they are indifferent or disgusted by doing it.

22 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

How can a politically unstable country be financially stable?  ????

What part of this did you not understand?

26 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

How about Russia, South Africa, much of eastern Europe and South America, for a start.
A keyword could be "relative," a concept which is referred to quite often here, over and over. Like "relative to," and how individual circumstances and so on vary.
There is data available.  And international finance/credit rating agencies.

Edited by Cat ji

16 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

What part of this did you not understand?

How about Russia, South Africa, much of eastern Europe and South America, for a start.
A keyword could be "relative," a concept which is referred to quite often here, over and over. Like "relative to," and how individual circumstances and so on vary.
There is data available.  And international finance/credit rating agencies.

So, you have moved your life savings here, have you?  If not, why not?  It's so financially stable.  ????

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The investment-based extension requires 10M Baht in specific types of investments, including new condos.  I think it's a shame they don't expand that list and provide some sort of offsets to other extension-types. 

For example, someone buys a condo, so should not be required to show as much income or money in-the-bank for a retirement-extension as a renter. 

Same for a married-to-a-Thai building his family a house - why not cut a break to encourage this?

The attitude of the unfriendly-clique of IOs seems to more be of, "Why don't you go home, already?"  And if married to a Thai, "Why don't you take her to your country?"  Just look at their faces as they put in your stamp, and you can tell whether they are indifferent or disgusted by doing it.

I can actually understand why they appear indifferent, or disgusted.

Their country is being "occupied" except, by people with passports, instead of guns.  ????

The thing is, they rely on there occupiers for employment and investment etc.????

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - deposits into foreign-accounts are not a problem, used in combination with pension-letters.  The best, still, would be an embassy-letter - which may be available in a consulate in another country, even if not one's consulate in Thailand (any more).

The "money in the bank after you apply" junk doesn't apply to Consulate-Visas (Non-O or Non-OA) - so combos for Visa applications are not complicated by this - only in-country "extensions of stay."

The synch-change I have seen recently, was required pre-seasoning of funds for Non-O-A applications - just in the UK, so far (that I know of).

Non-O Single-Entries at those 2 consulates are common - usually used to be able to apply for an extension-of-stay in Thailand w/o a "non-o stamp" from an immigration office here (which can be problematic).

The same as staying in Thailand, generally, given recent trends.  Everyone should have a "Plan B" at the ready.

That too.  I would not count on anything lasting.  They can change the rules at any time with little or no notice.

A single entry O visa is different than a one year multiple entry O visa. 

2 hours ago, Cat ji said:

And international finance/credit rating agencies.

The same rating-agencies who said Italy and Greece's bonds were "AAA" until just before they put them around junk-grade?

I actually agree that Thailand's banks are "relatively" safe in the short term, depending on what happens with their leaning towards China, and potential conflict between China and the West.

But our ability to get to our money in those banks - even in the near-term - is put at risk, by an immigration-division which cannot even follow it's own laws/regulations uniformly from one entry-point or office to the next - largely due to corruption.  If a few suitcases of money were put in the right hands, who knows what might change for us.

• Like 2

A single entry O visa is different than a one year multiple entry O visa. 

Yes.  For example, Vientane and KL will not issue Multi Non-Os for Marriage or Retirement - only singles.  But Savannakhet and Penang will.  For how long is anyone's guess - some predicted the demise of these years ago based on "inside info."