500 free helmets to be handed out to motorbike drivers before Songkran

webfact

500 free helmets to be handed out to motorbike drivers before Songkran

By The Thaiger

FILE PHOTO: Patong Police

IMG_8939-1024x647.jpg

Patong Development Foundation, along with Patong Police and Patong Municipality, will be handing out 500 helmets to motorbike drivers in Patong before Songkran Day under the campaign ‘Where’s your helmet’.

Patong Police Chief Col Anothai Jindamanee says, “Many motorbike drivers have been injured and die in road accident. We want 100 percent of motorbike drivers and passengers to wear helmets.”

“We will hand out 500 helmets to motorbike drivers on April 11 (Thursday) from 4.30pm onwards at the police box on Bangla Road, Patong.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/500-free-helmets-to-be-handed-out-to-motorbike-drivers-before-songkran

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-08
  • Haha 1

Where are all these helmets going??? Over the past 18 years TW has bought 3 new bikes and on ALL occasions they were supplied with at least one helmet (I use the term loosely). Never seen one on her head and they disappeared within days of receiving them???

OK - she only potters around a village, in the rice paddies, so it's no real big deal just interesting!

One day I fully expect to fall into a big hole full of helmets AND UMBRELLAS!

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Where are all these helmets going??? Over the past 18 years TW has bought 3 new bikes and on ALL occasions they were supplied with at least one helmet (I use the term loosely). Never seen one on her head and they disappeared within days of receiving them???

OK - she only potters around a village, in the rice paddies, so it's no real big deal just interesting!

One day I fully expect to fall into a big hole full of helmets AND UMBRELLAS!

Those helmets make a nice pot plant for chillies ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaiyen said:

So now they dont get nicked for having no helmet, they get given one !!  What a ridiculous system.  Sure it would catch on everywhere !!

Yeah.

If I drive around with an empty wallet, will they give me some cash?

• Haha 2

The protection of ones brain and head requires a DOT or EC 22-05 approved helmet, and not a coconut shell for 200THB. It does not take a genius to see, that there is no respective law and law enforcement in place. But what do we expect, living in a huge kindergarten?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TumblinDice said:

1301274448egg-shell.jpg

lol. But, the helmet should break, and doing so it'll absorb the impact and save your skull, even if it's a cheap Thai helmet.

Try using a helmet made of 1/2 inch steel, you'll probably be dead when your head hit the tarmac. Helmet would be fine though.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

When will you people get it right.... motorbike drivers and NOT MOTORBIKE DRIVERS... THEY ARE "RIDERS... MOTORBIKE RIDERS!!

Does the mention of motorbike DRIVERS upset you ????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

The protection of ones brain and head requires a DOT or EC 22-05 approved helmet, and not a coconut shell for 200THB. It does not take a genius to see, that there is no respective law and law enforcement in place. But what do we expect, living in a huge kindergarten?

Nope ... it requires responsibility and skill !

Helmets have very little to do with it, they are just a [personal] addition depending on your skill and responsibility.

I don't wear a helmet if I know I won't go faster than 120 km/h ... why should I ?

... all fear mongering and a lot of crap talking.

Learn how to ride a bike and then start talking.

BTW: There is nothing dangerous about riding a bike ! Not even in Thailand !!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

How many more times do they have to perform this stunt before they recognise that enforcement of the existent law would be the only true deterrent.

The way I see it, we're looking at it from a ferang perspective: expecting someone to follow on by doing what they say they will.

The Thai way is important to be seen to say the right thing. It gives you respect and the plebs perceive you as being important.
Doing what you say is nothing to do with it at all, Thais don't seem to expect that, or remember the details.

We must be just too pedantic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed what is the quality of the helmet. This looks like a false gesture, false safety.

Fining is the best method. They can buy the motor, so also let them buy the good helmet. It is Thai law !! ALso fine them for being on motorbike with more then 2, too young, no drivers license, driving true red light, on wrong side of the road, overtaking left/right with high speed, holding phones, driving on pedestrian ways. Just some common things forbidden by Thai law in for motor bikes.  

I dont like fines but it helps.