Smog in North easing slowly

webfact

Smog in North easing slowly

By The Nation

44e9ff0fa8f532f9cb47030f22c94e9d.jpeg

A helicopter scoops up water in Lampang’s Wang Nua district yesterday in the battle against forest fires, which have been identified as the main cause of air pollution in the area.

Prayut’s one-week deadline for tackling haze appears to have triggered action

AIR POLLUTION in the North has eased considerably within the seven-day timeframe set by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who flew to Chiang Mai last Tuesday to address the problem. 

The amount of PM2.5 – hazardous particulate matter of no more than 2.5 micrometers in diameter – in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, for example, has dropped from 272 micrograms per cubic metre of air last Tuesday to 106mcg yesterday. According to the Pollution Control Department, the PM2.5 level above 50mcg shows the air is not safe to breathe. 

Complaints about prolonged smog in the North prompted Prayut to make a short trip to Chiang Mai on April 2. During the visit, the premier made clear that he expected clear results within seven days and promised to take action against officials who failed to meet the target. 

Prayut also directed relevant authorities, as part of short-term measures, to focus on reducing the number of hotspots, as they were the main polluters. 

His intervention led to intensive efforts to combat forest fires and agricultural fires.

The Third Army Area organised more than 100 helicopter flights to help extinguish wildfires during the week. 

The GeoInformatics and Space Technology Development Agency’s fire-monitoring system reported that the number of hotspots in nine northern provinces had dropped to 231 yesterday – a far cry from nearly 2,000 on April 2. 

57ede88b2810c93a24e2eaaa26b58e1a.jpeg

In Mae Hong Son province, several officials worked together to douse fires in a 500-rai (80-hectare) forest. The mission proved successful after helicopters sprayed the area with water at least 100 times. 

Meanwhile, teams are on standby across the province to quickly respond to reported fires. 

Mae Hong Son Governor Sirirat Chumuppakan also on Monday threatened to withhold the land-demarcation survey required for issuing land-rights documents for farmers who had set fire to clear scrub on their land. 

He even suggested that the presence of outdoor fires in a village or a tambon would affect the authority’s future considerations for providing the areas with infrastructure such as electricity and roads.

Sirirat also urged officials to identify and arrest those who light fires, so they can be punished. 

He also emphasised the importance of continuous monitoring and weekly updates throughout April for the most at-risk communities of tambons Mae Khong, Sao Hin and Mae Yuam in Mae Sariang district |and tambon Mae Sam Lap in Sop Moei district. 

b634dc8c33679c6eab7fd62d6dcafdc2.jpeg

Sirirat also presented drinking water and other commodities to those fighting the forest fires.

While intensified efforts have apparently improved air quality in the smog-hit North, the progress is bittersweet. 

Siriwat Srisapha, a senior official based in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, revealed yesterday forest-fire responder Wichien Panures had a stroke while helping fight a blaze in the northern province of Lampang. 

“While there, he suffered serious stomach ache and headache. 

“Though he was rushed to hospital, he suffered a stroke on the spot and needed to be transferred to a better equipped hospital,” Siriwat said. 

According to doctors, Wichien is currently in a coma, and his body is showing no signs of response. Doctors believe there is little chance of recovery. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367438

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-10

1 hour ago, irwinfc said:

divine intervention as willed by uncle general, as if he wrote the script. omg

good timing of his intervention 

now I understand why he did not act earlier

Edited by sweatalot
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

AIR POLLUTION in the North has eased considerably within the seven-day timeframe set by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who flew to Chiang Mai last Tuesday to address the problem. 

Always amazes me what 6-lace-holes from an army boot can achieve !

I live south of the old city in the smog swamp. The last three days have been much better here.  #6 Last week my local smog rate was more than double what its listed at today. It is hazy/smoggy-er today than the last two, but I am hopeful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Having just driven back and forth between Lamphun and Chiang Mai - well, you damn well could have fooled me.  Eased?  It's horrible. 

The caption "Easing Slowly " is meaningless. Like the recent election result...... coming soon

Have to admit though around our area Hang Dong there has been an improvement,nothing to do with the time frame,maybe not a lot left to burn.

I did read that Hospital Authorities have treated 8,600 people over Northern Thailand for respiratory problems since Jan 1 .could well believe that.

Having been virtually house bound for the last 2 weeks I might have to set up a "Getting away from CM" fund for next year

• Like 2

I live on the western side of Lake Phayao. For the past five days there are fires burning in the mountains west of my house. At night time the glows of these fires are very visible. I have lived here for 8 years and have never seen these mountains on fire before now.  There have been no storms so lightning cannot be blamed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I live on the western side of Lake Phayao. For the past five days there are fires burning in the mountains west of my house. At night time the glows of these fires are very visible. I have lived here for 8 years and have never seen these mountains on fire before now.  There have been no storms so lightning cannot be blamed.

I think might be farmers burning something. Sugar or grass or other stuff. I don't think is natural occurrences.

• Haha 1

I have just returned to my home near Khon Kaen from a 4 day visit to Chiang Mai. Being forewarned about the air pollution, I was pleasantly surprised to experience clear air with no pollution. Most people I saw, both foreign tourists and local Thais, were not wearing face masks. The place where they were, was outside the Chinese owned Maya Centre and most were Oriental tourists. There was a water spray machine in operation near the entrance but, in my opinion was not necessary - probably for cooling purposes rather than air particles. I drove up to Doi Suthep and was able to view the city below. It was a very enjoyable 4 day visit with no smog. I attach a photo taken from my hotel balcony last Tuesday evening showing the sun setting over Doi Suthep. 

IMG_2086.JPG

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I have just returned to my home near Khon Kaen from a 4 day visit to Chiang Mai. Being forewarned about the air pollution, I was pleasantly surprised to experience clear air with no pollution. Most people I saw, both foreign tourists and local Thais, were not wearing face masks. The place where they were, was outside the Chinese owned Maya Centre and most were Oriental tourists. There was a water spray machine in operation near the entrance but, in my opinion was not necessary - probably for cooling purposes rather than air particles. I drove up to Doi Suthep and was able to view the city below. It was a very enjoyable 4 day visit with no smog. I attach a photo taken from my hotel balcony last Tuesday evening showing the sun setting over Doi Suthep. 

IMG_2086.JPG

Magic!

Looks polluted to me.

CM forum does not have that many people actually participating on the forum. Mostly the usual suspects.

Nonetheless,  Anyone like to give a serious answer to my question:   Who among you  1. definitely plan to sell up and move   2. Seriously thinking about it   3.  Its crossed my mind, but don't have any plans at all

4.  A lot depends on how next year at this time is (pollution wise)

I would start a new topic,  but I am sure this post alone will give the holed up trolls enough fodder.  Some honest responses mixed in would be nice

1 minute ago, rumak said:

CM forum does not have that many people actually participating on the forum. Mostly the usual suspects.

Nonetheless,  Anyone like to give a serious answer to my question:   Who among you  1. definitely plan to sell up and move   2. Seriously thinking about it   3.  Its crossed my mind, but don't have any plans at all

I would start a new topic,  but I am sure this post alone will give the holed up trolls enough fodder.  Some honest responses mixed in would be nice

Well..strangely enough..the whole North is suffering.

The reason why there are not so many posters (the in-crowd) directly pertaining to Chang Mai is perfectly evident..hard to beat up it's charms when it is a polluted hell-hole.

The curious "Under the Dome" effect of Chang Mai posters has long been evident and a subject of derision.

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..strangely enough..the whole North is suffering.

The reason why there are not so many posters (the in-crowd) directly pertaining to Chang Mai is perfectly evident..hard to beat up it's charms when it is a polluted hell-hole.

The curious "Under the Dome" effect of Chang Mai posters has long been evident and a subject of derision.

Thanks.....my question should pertain to other areas affected also  ( Chiangrai, Payao, Etc ).  I think that the largest group of expats are in and around CM.  Are you a present or past resident ?   If so,  your plans ?

Edited by rumak

4 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Firstly, there is no cure for stupidity. Secondly, the pollution levels fall in the evening. AQI at CMU currently 209!

Thank you - I must have been lucky with no coughs, watery eyes or breathing problems.

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I am thinking about it.

This year was an exception because I needed to be here. Next year is already timed with my visa so I will have nothing to do here and can go out again.

So it is not urgent for me to move.

I will observe the AQI next year during that time when I go away. If it is in the red area ("normal" air pollution") or if this year was no exception and for whatever reason there is much more burning every year now.

If it is the same thing next year, I will move. Not urgently, because I can go out. But within a few years because at some point in time I will need to stay here again, due to e.g. illness, immigration visits or something else. Just a matter of time when I hit a year where it is difficult to leave for such a long time (2,5 months).

• Like 1