Pattaya Songkran: Hotel bookings well down as tourists stay away

webfact

On 4/10/2019 at 7:30 PM, emptypockets said:

I go to Pattaya frequently and have never, ever, experienced any of what you allege. 

I don't do the beach road thing at night so I don't have any experience with the third gender people. I do negotiate with taxi drivers if they don't want to use the meter.  If I pay above the standard fare.... So be it.... I and the taxi driver have agreed on a price. Can't say I've come across a rude vendor anywhere but I tend to be respectful to most people.  Maybe that is the reason. 

I do stay at hotels,  I do eat at nice Thai style restaurants and I love walking street.  Particularly the Hot  Tuna bar.. Love Deep Purple and AC/DC that the band plays. 

All up I would recommend Pattaya to friends for a four or five day stay. 

I also recommend that they ignore the fan room dwelling, no hopers on this forum who find the bad points in everything Thailand related whether they live here or not. Sad old men. 

They would be the same no matter where they lived. 

I lived there 15 years so trust me, I could share stories with you which makes you a first time visiting tourist! Once I had sold my business I moved away - for good - to more peaceful parts of beautiful Thailand. 

• Like 2

If true then its good news for residents. Many Thai workers return to Issan during Songkran. Pattaya was so busy this season it was difficult travelling around due to traffic jams. It's nice when its quiet here. Meanwhile the building boom continues. Amazing Pattaya!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Soi 6 is like Nana Plaza........every year that goes by, it degrades further n further.

Good to know you keep popping back for an update despite you supposedly not living there for the past 5 years  

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was in Jomtien from 17jan till 3 march then 4 nights in Bangkok.I booked my flight in June 2018 over six months in advance when the € baht rate was just under 38 baht, the best I got in 2019 was the day I arrived it was 35:85 it actually went down one evening to 34:92 in a TT exchange I was getting 38-39 in 2017 and 40 before that.If I make a trip next year and it's a big if it will probably be for 4 weeks and I think the exchange rate will have to improve.As the oil rate is rising flights will probably cost more hotel rates will rise a lot of snowbirds like myself on a pension are just priced out of long haul winter trips, Pattaya and Bangkok may not notice the drop but I am sure Jomtien and places like it will. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

The strong  baht is obviously a big turn off  for tourists but its the ever declining quality of life in Thailand that's having the biggest impact on all people here.

So goes the incessant drumbeat here. Me, I find some things are not as good as before (traffic) but others are, so that it all balances out. Hence, no real impact and I find it a great place to live, glad I came. Took me 20 min to get an extension last week--15 min waiting and 5 for a pleasant IO lady whom I greeted in polite Thai to look over my papers (info all neatly typed out [years ago, now takes 5 min to change the numbers]), in logical order, signed, with my phone number) and then give me a smile and a number to come back the next day. That took me another 10. ???? Once everything is arranged, it's SO easy. 

<paranoia and xenophobia snipped>

Immigration laws likely to become stricter for farangs. Chinese and Indians in...farang out.

You mean, you're buying into the myth that visa requirements for Chinese and Indians are not the same as for farangs? We have such a hard time letting that one go. I saw some Indians and Muslims lining up for retirement extensions the other day. Wonder why they did that? ???? One Indian was given the 3rd degree, too. His paperwork was a mess. I'm pretty flexible, so if laws become stricter, I figure I can deal deal with them. ???? You can't? I can't imagine missing any of the leavers. I trust they'll be happy in our recommended countries, until they have a medical emergency. Nor do I mind Chinese and Indians, many of whom are preferable to the bar stool know-it-alls and blowhards. Give 'em a ni hao or a namaste. Met a very polite Chinese couple in 7/11 the other day. Lot of the Sizzler at Central exhibiting none of the behavior obsessed about here, quiet and well-mannered. Some good-looking young Chinese women running around, too. Friend of mine's dating one and VERY happy. Let's have more of those.  

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

A post with an altered quote has been removed, On no account do you change another member quote into a foreign language. 

A post in a foreign language has been removed this is an English language forum

A post trying to hijack the topic by talking about immigration procedure has been removed

On 4/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, Kim J said:

Are the US Navy still in town? Or have they departed? When they are around it can quite often boost numbers in bars.

since the navy  not alloud to stop more in pattaya bay , thats a decade ago. 

The navy is a non event nw , sattahip to far,as most can come,after work until morning

long ago this was an high event ,when the shipps stopped at pattaya bay, and pattaya was full os us soldiers wiith heavy purchasing power and no trouble

• Like 1

Also the huge increase of arrivals that TOT claim year on year, that many of us dispute and doubt, should be a factor.

If these numbers was to be believed

(and was actually for real),

it should be a market for new hotels and restaurants. So why isn't it?

Songkran has outplayed its role as attraction, since it became mayhem years ago.

Common knowledge also about problems at airports point of entry, it isn't a surprise that hotel bookings are way down.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, biggles45 said:

GF and I have just had a month inVietnam and we discovered where all the Russians went to! Nha Trang, beautiful long, wide beach with a treed park all the way. Free gym equipment, toilets and no boats or jetskis and beach vendors. They have taken over the town, menus, signs, travel agencies etc all geared up to them. NT is showing Pattaya/Jomtien how it should be done. 

+1 for nha trang, beutiful place. 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, SammyT said:

I'm still astounded that tourists (other than those who want to get their end away) actually go to Pattaya - the beach sucks, the nightlife (if girlie bars aren't your thing) sucks and if you believe the media reports, it's full of violent taxi drivers. 

Depends on which "tourists" you are talking about. The farangs have been significantly less in the past few years when I've been visiting- the bars ( a farang thing- not Chinese or Indian ) have been underwhelmed with customers, and walking Street was way down on usual numbers.

Conversly, Chinese and Indians were in abundance.

I've rarely used a taxi there, but the baht bus drivers were a lot more violent way back.

This has been a long time coming, but I feel zero sympathy for the hotel owners as they have been gouging the farangs for years now. Inflation hasn't been enough to put hotel prices up the amount they have.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, Kadilo said:

Over the years the water guns have got bigger and more powerful and its turned into a foreigners cock size contest to see who can get the biggest. 

I too have been shot in the eye whilst riding my scooter at night by a bunch of giggling pissed up men. 

It’s no surprise people are turning away. Leave it to those who enjoy it the way it is. 

It’s  a shame for the Thais. 

Refer to the constant moaning here about Thais not wanting farangs.

29 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

the only people who go to Pattaya during Songkran are kids and idiots throwing water around for days on end . about time it was only ONE day like in BKK.

Patong was Fri arvo and Sat, just right!

Also the huge increase of arrivals that TOT claim year on year, that many of us dispute and doubt, should be a factor.
If these numbers was to be believed
(and was actually for real),
it should be a market for new hotels and restaurants. So why isn't it?

Songkran has outplayed its role as attraction, since it became mayhem years ago.
Common knowledge also about problems at airports point of entry, it isn't a surprise that hotel bookings are way down.

Those “many of you” who dispute and doubt TOT numbers have not yet come up with any proof that TOT numbers are incorrect. Anecdotal evidence of beer bares and your favorite drinking spits having a low number of customers is not evidence of a decline in tourist numbers. There are many more families, non-sexpat tourists, etc. visiting Thailand. They will tend to frequent areas of the country that do not include beer bars et al. TOT takes their numbers from border arrival statistics. Until anyone can prove them wrong, they are the entity with the most reliable data.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1