'Very ill' Brit tourist, 25, stranded in Thai hospital as family appeal for help

webfact

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

"British Influencer"  says it  all , world  traveling freeloader.

The way of the world now, you gather a following by any means necessary in social media and then start to sell ads (tweets, posts, blogs whatever). However many of these "influencers" got exactly 0 followers that are worth paying for any ads. They then have the gall to start asking for freebies. One resort in the Philippines already had enough of the freeloaders, white something, google it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SEtonal said:

She is pro-ana (pro-anorexia).  She is not so much as showing off her torso, but rather her pelvic bones.  She puckers her lips to make her cheeks look hollow.  The photo in the link below is something that anorexics crave -- a gap between the thighs even when the knees are pressed together.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BilvjqsHsxO/

Works for me!!! 

Screenshot_2019-04-10-18-01-40-93.png

Edited by emptypockets

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Would be nice to know what sort of infection costs £25,000.if she's too ill to travel then the treatment will have to be done here.ive had pneumonia lung infection out here that would of killed me and it didn't cost nothing like that and I was treated in bkk phuket hospital.a good course of anti biotics  usually does the trick.

taking out the wrong insurance is about as daft as not having any insurance.medical insurance for a person of her age would of been under £200.

My Thai girlfriend got a lung infection after a course of steroids suppressed her immune system.  Four days in the private hospital that prescribed the steroids resulted in a bill of over 400K baht before I was able to get her discharged and into a government hospital in her hometown. She was treated in some form by 8 doctors and subjected to numerous tests some of which I challenged the doctors over.  Had I not requested an update of the bill who knows how much I would have been charged.  One of the antibiotics was listed online for 1480B for a 1 gram injection.  My price was 49,000 baht, 33 times the list price.  One treatment I rejected was for an MRI of her hip (?) because of test indicating a high level of inflammation. I said how about the lung infection that was on the X-ray they took last night. He lost a little face there.  No one seemed to be in charge with each going his or her own direction.  Also, every doctor showed up at least once with a nurse in tow (extra charge) and some came every day to check up.  That starts to add up after a few days.  In the US this is called a "drive by" and used to generate more income!  Just before I cornered the admitting doctor someone showed up requesting a signature to proceed with a few more courses of antibiotics for another 200K baht.  This girls father would be better off paying strict attention to what the doctors are doing and controlling the process to keep the bill down and get her out ASAP.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Not meaning to be vindictive..but is the girl yet another tourist with no travel/health care insurance??
If so..it will not help the case of expats living here re possible mandatory requirement of having h/care insurance as part of " extension " of stay whether marriage or retirement

Yes. Inevitable, just a matter of time.

...That and the rest...why are there 7 pages[?]

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Just under 10,000 GBP in less than 24 hours from 365 people.

pigeons are everywhere, they just need to be found and it appears her/father or the one starting the money collection did

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Some backlash vs. "influencers":

"No, Your Instagram ‘Influence’ Is Not as Good as Cash, Club Owner Says"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/world/philippines-hotel-influencers-social-media.html?fallback=0&recId=1JfQzyv89dcuMQFmKZR8i7ohjom&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=CA&recAlloc=story&geoCountry=US&blockId=home-featured&imp_id=791207385&action=click&module=editorsPicks&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

There's a mini-epic over this one:

"Luxury Dublin hotel bans all social media influencers"

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/hotel-bans-influencers-instagram-social-media-stars-elle-darby-the-white-moose-cafe-a8166926.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwzEpNziOU\

"i was exposed SO embarrassing"

"WHITE MOOSE PRESS CONFERENCE APOLOGY"

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The photos on the Daily Mirror page are very different to the one the GoFundMe page.

might be "3 different little girls" looking for a cure...

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Would be nice to know what sort of infection costs £25,000.

According to the article in the Daily Mail, she has either meningitis or encephalitis but the £25,000 is not so much for the hospital costs, as it is to cover the costs of a medevac flight. 

So it could be that she had insurance but it didn't cover the costs of a medical evacuation flight.

25 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

With regards to insurance they aren't. You either have it or you don't in which case you take your chances.

oh yes they are - I live here and would not qualify for travel insurance