How Far Back Can You Remember In Your Life?

Way back I remember my "first hard on" I opened doors and windows because I didn't know how big he gets.. 

Then WW2, Stalingrad. My Grandpa and I in the sh*t. He in the trench and I in my diapers.. 

Why somebody wants to know my CV? 

I can remember stuff from pre school easily.  I can remember my mother being rushed to the hospital when I was 3 years old and I was not wanting her to go.

Think my earliest memory was being on a ferry boat going to Jersey.  I must have been just about 2 and a half them.. even remember my pushchair and the little petting zoo my parents too me to.  Can remember all the layout of my infant school, and the play ground before that, and the time I got into trouble and told off by the teachers lol.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's interesting Charlie, it would be interesting to read what other posters first memory of school was.

Not necessarily my first memory of school, but...

(Teacher)  : "If you know the answer don't call out. Put up your right hand; that's the hand that you write with...."

My writing hand duly went up....and I (Southpaw) got to stand at the front of the class wearing a pointed hat with a 'D' on it! ☹️

image.jpeg.23677c8323b71bb44deb2ffa4be29d49.jpeg

Thankfully things have changed since I woz a brat.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How else would we all know that you're not bullsh''ting.   lol

He could pick names out of a telephone book, and we would be none the wiser. This is TV, remember?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was on a church trip with my two brothers and granny and grandad, who were heavily involved with the church, to Knaresborough .
The radio was on as we returned and all of a sudden the adults on the bus burst into loud cheers.
I was totally oblivious but apparently we had won the World Cup, I was 4 years old.

I remember going to Knaresborough zoo on a school trip. I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Will have to pay a visit next time I am back in Blighty.  Visit Mother Shipton's cave too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I remember going to Knaresborough zoo on a school trip. I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Will have to pay a visit next time I am back in Blighty.  Visit Mother Shipton's cave too. 

You could only remember back to when you were 7 or 8??

Can genuinely remember the summer when the picture was taken pretty well (I'm the first from left). I was probably 5 back then. My dad worked as a music teacher / accordion-playing entertainer in a sort of scout camp for children and we stayed with him there. 

Can also remember quite a lot from the kindergarten and some of the groupmates including their names (about the same age).

And probably can remember some scenes from living with my mother in a shared apartment, and her pregnant with my younger sister who's 2.5 years younger than me. But not sure about how genuine this early memory is. 

m_003 new.jpg

Edited by MaksimMislavsky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You could only remember back to when you were 7 or 8??

No, I remember back to when I was about 4. But only odd memories here and there, not a true narrative. But I do remember all my classmates from the first year of primary school and could name them all. I also seem to remember when I was in a pram, but I believe that is an implanted memory, not a real one.  

• Like 1

Remember my Dad going to London for Festival of Britain in 1952 so I was 4.5 yrs, and bringing me back a clockwork boat. It sank the first time I played with it at the park. And of course, the Coronation in 53 on a b& w telly at the home of Billy Robinson, a professional wrestler.

We moved east coast to California when I was about 2-1/2....

I can remember life & playing in Massachusetts as well as the house along with the big fight I put up at the airport when they took away my big basket full of toys.....

I can remember my first school day but not any of the kids....We moved a few cities away & I can remember a lot of classmates as we all grew up together....

I really don't have anyone around to help prompt memories, so what I have left is all I've got....

Now - where did I leave my keys?

My first day at school.

Lovely Mum gave me a kit-kit for my elevenses & wrote my name on the wrapper. I couldn't read what it said, but I knew it belonged to me.

Benito, my classmate, was a very small Italian boy, who had a hole in his heart. One day he pooped himself, & if my memory serves me right, I saw it come out of the bottom of his trousers.

My first day at school.

Lovely Mum gave me a kit-kit for my elevenses & wrote my name on the wrapper. I couldn't read what it said, but I knew it belonged to me.

Benito, my classmate, was a very small Italian boy, who had a hole in his heart. One day he pooped himself, & if my memory serves me right, I saw it come out of the bottom of his trousers.

I had a school friend who had been diagnosed with a hole in the heart !
Turns out when he had the x-ray he had a polo in his shirt pocket !!

Sorry [emoji20]
  • Haha 1

I think we can remember out first classmates, because we usually continue many years, with the same classmates. Also, we remember our memories, not the actual event. I worked 25 years with the same guy, and did hundreds of projects together, but many projects, I can just remember a little, others, I cant remember anything. I can remember dreams that I had 50 years ago, but of course, maybe just remember the memories. Its a complicated question.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

This is a great topic and,curiously enough,one that I am exploring in my own personal life at the moment..

I have found my grandfather's grave and I will be embarking on quite a long journey next week to lay a wreath.

He was a soldier of the Great War and had been wounded and gassed and all I can remember as a 4 year old was the coughing and wheezing in the back room and being informed that he had a "touch of the mustard".

It was many years before I understood what a "touch of the mustard" actually was..

Have you thought to look up his service history? I did it recently & couldn't believe how quick or thorough it was.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes.

I downloaded all the original documents.Absolutely amazing!

Do you feel you could share some of your Grandfather's past with us on here?

Your post #79 was so bittersweet: Thank you.

:smile:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

4 years old running home from kindergarten with a bleeding gash on my forehead and the blood drying and closing my eyes.  My mother failed to come to the hospital and a kind lady comforting me till the pain stopped.  

"Ahhhh!!! Don't Bleed on my carpet!"

(My mothers first concern when I rocked up in similar circumstances)

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I could sit down right now and write down almost all the names of the kids I started school with.

I am still waiting for someone to come on here who can do the same.

If I had a school photo I'd crack it no problem yet I cannot name everyone in later photos in adult life.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was on a church trip with my two brothers and granny and grandad, who were heavily involved with the church, to Knaresborough .
The radio was on as we returned and all of a sudden the adults on the bus burst into loud cheers.
I was totally oblivious but apparently we had won the World Cup, I was 4 years old.

During an early trip to Chessington Zoo I was fascinated at a Hippo bobbing up and down and said "Whereid" (Where Hid?).

My Dad still refers to me by that name almost 60 years on! ????

Edit: Having mentioned my Dad it's also worth mentioning the buzz you get at the age of 4 when a military plane flies overhead and a stick of paratroopers 'lob in' to Hankley DZ directly from Cyprus. The first thing he did upon standing up was to put his hands in his smock & produce ORANGES that he'd picked at the other end.

That to me & my elder brother was how Superman turn up! ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I can remember my first day at school when about forty of us were sitting in the classroom and the mothers were outside, and the little boy sitting next to me kept shouting "Mummy, Mummy." I can also remember his name.

I also remember my first day at school aged 6. And events right through to age 18. Then I discovered ganja  so events in that  period are vague with the exception of getting married.

My worry is  that I will regress to only remembering age 6 or less! Then it will  confirm I am suffering severe  dementia.

Why  have you asked  this question?