Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

GWS stopped the Swans today.

Next week I will pick my tips and then change to the opposing side.

Glass half full..

Most exciting round of Fantasy for me this season.

RIP SWANS v joboss d..

Rip = 1798

Joboss = 1506

Rip leads by 292

Rip has only one player to play , Josh Smith for Collingwood

Joboss has 4 players to star including Scott Pendlebury as captain.

Lovely diversion to take me away from some unfortunate tipping.

My only hope of winning if your captain and a few others are injured early in the game.

I hope this does not happen. Too good Joboss

• Like 2

The Tackle: Mark Robinson reveals his likes and dislikes from Round 12, 2016

HOW good was Patrick Dangerfield on Saturday night? The Geelong superstar played arguably the greatest game by a midfielder we’ve seen.

Richmond survived a big scare from Gold Coast and it was all thanks to Dustin Martin, while Brisbane was meek and Essendon simply embarrassing.

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson lists his likes and dislikes for Round 12.

1. Patrick Dangerfield

Clearly the best game of his career, which prompted the question: What was the second-best game? It had to be Round 1 v Hawthorn, when he had 43, five tackles and seven clearances.

On Saturday night it was 48 disposals, 13 marks, 13 clearances and 11 inside 50s. In fact, it was one of the best games played by any midfielder in recent memory.

Was too brilliant for North in the first half, had Sam Gibson for a period in the second half, and when he didn’t, he continued to find the ball. Funny thing is Dangerfield and Joel Selwood dominated the first half,

yet the Cats trailed by 10 points at the main break. After that, North ran out of genuine midfield bodies.

2. Dustin Martin

Splendid all day, enormous at the end. With the game tight with minutes to play, Martin went one-on-one inside 50m, bustled Trent McKenzie out of the way, took the mark, played on and handed it to Sam Lloyd for the easy goal.

The Tigers were behind and coach Damien Hardwick called on his matchwinner mid to be the matchwinning forward. A minute later, Martin kicked the winner when McKenzie grabbed him at the next forward contest. The Tigers

were down by two points, enter Martin and they win. Bold coaching from Hardwick. Brilliant football from Martin.

3. Giant strength

The most underrated half-back line in the competition reads Williams, Davis, Wilson. They play for Greater Western Sydney and with the help of the hard-working midfield, they were relentless against Sydney.

Zac Williams is bold, Nathan Wilson is bold and safe and Phil Davis helped keep Franklin quiet. Add Heath Shaw, Nick Haynes and Joel Patfull, and the Giants can cover most opposition set-ups. If you didn’t think the

Giants could win the flag before their win on Sunday, best you think again.

4. Adelaide

Champion Data stats suggests the Crows have changed their game, or at least changed their focus. Defence and pressure is working. From Rounds 1-8 and then from Rounds 9-12, the Crows’ inside-50 differential

has gone from -8.2 to +28.8 and minutes in forward half from -5.47 to +21.11.

They are staggering results from adjustments/improvements to their game style, which was never more evident than in the final quarter against the Eagles. The inside 50s were 23-3, the Eagles did not score and Adelaide had the last 13 scores of the game.

5. Rory Sloane

Can there be any more admiration from The Tackle? Danger’s best mate Rory is a mighty footballer. He was crunched in the final quarter on Saturday night, thought he wouldn’t get up for a week, but there he was involved in the next forward foray for the Crows.

Who wasn’t to like for the Crows — Crouch, Thompson, Lyons, Laird, Lever, Cameron were influential — but when the game needed to be influenced, Sloane had 11 in the final quarter. He would finish with 29, 17 contested, six tackles and nine clearances.

6. Jack Steven

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson needed a response and although I’m absolutely sure he wasn’t pointing the finger at Steven, the dazzling midfielder didn’t let the coach down. No one did. Hickey was dominant in the ruck,

Membrey is starting his career late, Joey Montagna had to step up and did, and it was 70-43 in tackles which signalled intent/pressure without the ball.

Steven kicked three goals, had 25 disposals, nine tackles, five clearances, 10 inside 50s and eight score assists. They are strong numbers, but once again it was his clearance breakaways which separated him from every other mid on the ground.

7. Marcus Bontempelli

“He’s so genuine,’’ teammate Jordan Roughead said on the ABC on Sunday. Yep, he’s a genuine doer. Ask yourself what Bontempelli does best. Win the ball? Fight for the ball? Clearances? Marking option? Second and third efforts?

A leader? The fact is Bontempelli, who plays his 50th game next week, does all of that and more.

Before Round 7, Bontempelli had never recorded 30-plus disposals in a game, he has now achieved it in four of his last six games. In that time, he’s averaging 29 disposals, 16 contested possessions, six clearances and 121 ranking points.

The Herald Sun footy writer who dabbled with the $101 for Brownlow Medal last weekend will be chuffed.

8. Port Adelaide

Not really into gallantry, but ... Not so long ago, there was tweeting and arguing and finger-pointing at the club, but Port Adelaide has rescued its season and clearly has are a dangerous team. A cracking, high-intensity contest

against the Bulldogs and the outcome might have been different if Travis Boak and Matthew Broadbent kicked crucial goals. Boak’s miss in the final quart was a killer.

Still, Pittard is in all-Australian contention, Robbie Gray is absolutely back to his best, Jackson Trengove had 10 tackles and six clearances as the ruckman, and Ollie Wines was huge. They need to beat Fremantle next week (away) or finals might be a bust.

9. Matt Tabberner

Look what the kid did when he was the No.1 key forward. Kicked four goals before halftime and five for the game in easily his best performance for the Dockers. Always thought he wasn’t a natural in the air, but he took a

season-high eight marks. It was his attack at the contest which was most pleasing and it appeared, without Pav there, he knew he had to impose himself.

10. Neale Daniher

There’s no words left in the dictionary to describe Neale Daniher. Courageous and inspiration don’t quite cut it. Today at the MCG, the Big Freeze will be a day of celebration and not a day of desolation when some of the

highest-profile people go down the slide. Only the one bit of advice for Gerard Whateley this week — put Band-Aids on the nipples.

DISLIKES

1. Brisbane

It was rock bottom for the Lions. Lacking spirit, cohesion, skill and, from afar, the necessary care for teammates. Thankfully the Lions have done a terrific job re-signing many of its players because it’s looming as one of the

seasons where players will ask themselves: What am I doing here?

Club chiefs Leigh Matthews and Greg Swann were emphatic Leppitsch will coach next year, but we have all heard that before from football clubs. These sort of performance can’t continue and if they do, either the Lions will make

the call, or Justin Leppitsch will make the call himself. He’s probably asking himself the question already.

2. Leppa “outrage”

Didn’t think Justin Leppitsch “lost it” in his now famous post-match press conference. Thought he was calm when inside he would’ve been seething. Journos have to ask the questions and Leppa was on the front foot and said,

don’t ask me, ask Leigh Matthews or Greg Swann. He’s right. Perhaps the question should’ve been: Justin, would you resign if you believed you were the problem? This is not a witch-hunt, but history tells us these situations end badly for the coach.

3. West Coast

More questions for last year’s grand finalist and the questions are becoming too frequent. They have a bright draw ahead, but come home with Adelaide away, Hawthorn home, Giants away and Fremantle home, so top four is a major issue.

Too many players having so-so seasons including Masten, LeCras and Wellingham. Redden hasn’t been a success and Jetta is in the WALL, Cripps and Yeo are inconsistent and Gaff had a nightmare with the ball. Were called flat-track bullies

and this time were bullied at home. Inside 50s were 65-35, so it’s clear the “web’’ has failed them and right now, the footy world has overrated them.

4. Embarrassing (1)

That’s not our word, that was the description from Essendon skipper Brendon Goddard on Friday night. Feel there’s an acceptance the Bombers are hopeless so there’s no scathing critique to their performances.

Game style seems to be geared to cut size of losses from 150 points to 100. Short, wide, backwards — when haven’t we written that about Essendon in the past three years? Is it better to try to attack and lose or keep

possession and lose? Which style is best for the future? I’ll take attack and quick ball movement.

5. Embarrassing (2)

The numbers were just crazy. Essendon led possessions 434-423, won contested possession 150-139, won tackles 63-59, won clearances 34-33, but lost inside 50s 66-36 and the scoreboard was 151-43.

Does anyone care? OK, they lack in several areas, but some of the defensive failures on Friday night were below AFL standards.

6. Bad Blues

Came up against a team with urgency and motivation and were disappointing through the second and third quarters. Allowed 63 inside 50s which is not the norm under Brendon Bolton, and the stars didn’t contribute nearly enough.

They have character the Blues, but they need Gibbs and Kruezer leading, Everitt dangerous, while Weitering and Rowe couldn’t stop Membrey and no one at Carlton could limit Steven and Hickey in the middle. Poor all around from the Blues.

7. Grand statements on North Melbourne

They were always going to come if they lost to the big boys, such as Sydney and now Geelong, but perspective after Saturday night is needed. Andrew Swallow sat early with concussion, Ben Cunnington couldn’t run, Nick Dal Santo

was sore in the groin, Shaun Atley had an ankle and Robbie Nahas had a bone sticking out of his finger at one stage.

They led at halftime, challenged through the third quarter and couldn’t sustain it. Missed Jacobs who would have had Selwood so it ended up being the perfect storm for the Kangas. Problem now is patching up ahead of Hawthorn this week.

8. Worried for Nahas

Been solid with Shaun Higgins out, and others, but on Friday night he couldn’t impact as the small forward. Fumbled, pressure was misplaced, and just three possessions, albeit with a finger injury, will have coach

Brad Scott considering whether he deserves to go again.

9. Gazza bashing

He’s not getting the possessions — just 24 on Sunday — but there’s no doubting his attitude and leadership. He’s not unlike when Chris Judd slowed up at Carlton and he became an even bigger beast of a midfielder.

Gazza had 11 clearances (of the Suns’ 32), 12 tackles (of the Suns’ 73) and eight inside 50s (of the Suns’ 49) and it was almost enough. Let’s end this debate about Ablett’s leadership: He is leading from the front.

10. Bye rounds

Yes they are here and they are needed, for the players need rest, but not convinced we need it over three weeks. Still favour, an entire weekend off.

Last quarter in Fantasy...Grand Final replay comes down to the same sernerio as the GF, Dees if on song and can crush the pies could over take Grant today 400 odd points with 3 extra players including captain....to play for Delightful....wont be easy but considering how awful I've been to date GRANT is home.

JOBLOW wont beat RIP if the Pies have an off day....some birdie from the west is singing too soon.........

Chooks is home....Leon has run out of fit players....even last year Chooks beat me because i ran out of fit players.....

Fj can stay in the Phillipines nothing to come home to but the wooden spoon....

• Like 1

Last quarter in Fantasy...Grand Final replay comes down to the same sernerio as the GF, Dees if on song and can crush the pies could over take Grant today 400 odd points with 3 extra players including captain....to play for Delightful....wont be easy but considering how awful I've been to date GRANT is home.

JOBLOW wont beat RIP if the Pies have an off day....some birdie from the west is singing too soon.........

Chooks is home....Leon has run out of fit players....even last year Chooks beat me because i ran out of fit players.....

You gave it a red hot crack Alex, I'll give you that... Thought you were going to run over the top at 3/4 time... But I'll take the chocolates today, to at least make up for a woeful week in tipping... 3 weeks off now for the fantasy players and Joboss has turned up inside the 8 to keep me company ;)

• Like 2

Fantasy update.

The Grand Final reply was just that, only 9 points in it at the end, Grant takes the cake, hugh fightback from Delightful Dees the wobbles were on, as predicted the Demons needed to crush the Pies and they did but took there foot off the gas in the last 5 min of the game. 1995 points and loose....that was a winning score last season.

FJ down down down.

Chooks picks up the broken bikkies and records a win, comfortable in the end.

Jo crawls over the line by a mear 59 points the Pies had a pretty ordinary game and jo should have been worried.

The Ladder

Grant stays 4th its hot at the top

Jo moves to 7th.....a second TV member who manages to get into the 8.

all the TV action is still in the bottom half of the table Chooks swaps place with me and still one game out of the 8 plus a mammoth % Rip and i will head to the bar and dream of what ifs.

• Like 1

You gave it a red hot crack Alex, I'll give you that... Thought you were going to run over the top at 3/4 time... But I'll take the chocolates today, to at least make up for a woeful week in tipping... 3 weeks off now for the fantasy players and Joboss has turned up inside the 8 to keep me company wink.png

10 min to go and it was 8 points in it...i thought had you then rotations to Watts Jones and Vince followed at 5 min to go the Dee's took the foot off the gas... the Pies then got going and it sealed my fate.

Fantasy update.

The Grand Final reply was just that, only 9 points in it at the end, Grant takes the cake, hugh fightback from Delightful Dees the wobbles were on, as predicted the Demons needed to crush the Pies and they did but took there foot off the gas in the last 5 min of the game. 1995 points and loose....that was a winning score last season.

FJ down down down.

Chooks picks up the broken bikkies and records a win, comfortable in the end.

Jo crawls over the line by a mear 59 points the Pies had a pretty ordinary game and jo should have been worried.

The Ladder

Grant stays 4th its hot at the top

Jo moves to 7th.....a second TV member who manages to get into the 8.

all the TV action is still in the bottom half of the table Chooks swaps place with me and still one game out of the 8 plus a mammoth % Rip and i will head to the bar and dream of what ifs.

And with only 2 rounds to go before finals start, looks like it's up to Joboss and I to fly the flag... Although Chooks is an outside chance of making the 8 if a few results fall his way and he causes a few upsets...

• Like 1

Weagles woes,,

No Nic Nat,

No crumbing forward/goal sneak,

The web dismantled,

Is it time to initiate a partial rebuild?

Not sure about a rebuild but we badly need a small forward and a few A graders in the midfield.

I'd be targeting Jaeger O'Meara and Brendon Matera for next year.

For those wanting to watch the footy, I've heard that if you sign up to Crownbet and download their App, you can watch all of the games for free.

Just have to register, no bet required.

https://crownbet.com.au/

Only available in Oz mate...

Oh Ok.

We still have some members in Oz though who don't have Foxtel and rely on streaming so could be useful to them.

• Like 2

Weagles woes,,

No Nic Nat,

No crumbing forward/goal sneak,

The web dismantled,

Is it time to initiate a partial rebuild?

Not sure about a rebuild but we badly need a small forward and a few A graders in the midfield.

I'd be targeting Jaeger O'Meara and Brendon Matera for next year.

O'Meara is already linked to the saints.

For those wanting to watch the footy, I've heard that if you sign up to Crownbet and download their App, you can watch all of the games for free.

Oh Ok.

We still have some members in Oz though who don't have Foxtel and rely on streaming so could be useful to them.

I use a VPN which has proved useful for viewing sites blocked in Thailand.

It doesn't seem to have an Australian link but I'll ask my IT manager what he thinks.

There's a few free ones around, in theory you could convince the AFL website you are in Australia.

• Like 1

I am a bit late this week...

What a week of carnage for the Tipsters... No one managed to make a clean break, but a few fell behind

3 Tipsters shared 6/9

Radar501

ozzydom

Chooka

Radar had the best margin of the 3 for the week

Myself and AlexRRR are still equal points on top

^ game shortened round this week!

• Like 1

Oh Ok.

I use a VPN which has proved useful for viewing sites blocked in Thailand.

It doesn't seem to have an Australian link but I'll ask my IT manager what he thinks.

There's a few free ones around, in theory you could convince the AFL website you are in Australia.

I think Unibet and bet365 also offer the free AFL games if u are a member

On Kodi u can stream games, similar to what AFLdude used to offer I imagine...I havent used it myself

• Like 1

What a week of carnage for the Tipsters... No one managed to make a clean break, but a few fell behind

3 Tipsters shared 6/9

Radar501

ozzydom

Chooka

Nice work by Radar501, ozzydom and Chooka in what was a brutal round.

The rampaging AlexRRR and BookMan leading at the halfway point.

Yes, a shortened round but still a few tricky ones.

North and the Hawks kick us off this Friday with the Roos having injury concerns.

North also have Adelaide away next game so a crucial game this week.

Could the Roos drop out of the top 4 for Ade?

Brissy versus the Eages unfortunately could be closer than first look, especially at the Gabba.

I don't think Freo and Port is a gimme. Freo playing better footy and Port in pretty good nick.

The Bulldogs and Geelong at Etihad looks like being a ball-tearer.

Good luck gangsters.

• Like 1

AFL Women's league: Collingwood, Carlton among eight clubs in new national competition.

TRADITIONAL heavyweights Carlton and Collingwood join Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs as the Victorian contingent in the first year of the AFL national women's league.

Fremantle has edged out West Coast in the battle of the west to be the Perth-based team in the eight-club inaugural competition.

Adelaide, Brisbane Lions and Greater Western Sydney are the other non-Victorian clubs to compete in the eight-week season in February-March next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-15/eight-teams-named-for-inaugural-womens-league

http://twitter.com/aflnswact/status/742895222498041856/photo/1

post-250579-0-42608100-1465964519_thumb.

Edited by Thechook
  • Like 1

Tommy Tradebait to re sign for the Swans... I thought he was going going gone to Carlton

...."One of the AFL's biggest improvers, prolific Sydney onballer Tom Mitchell is poised to re-sign with the Swans as soon as next week.

Mitchell's manager Phil Mullen and the Swans officials met on Tuesday regarding a new deal and while an in-principle agreement has yet to be reached there is good will on both sides for a deal to be agreed next week.

"We got together yesterday and will have a definite result by the end of next week I would expect," Mullen said.

"We have not agreed on anything specific yet but I am confident by the end of next week we will have something done. He has been here five years and is close to his teammates and has become a real Sydney boy."

Victorian clubs, led by Carlton, had hopes grow the longer the young midfielder remained unsigned that he might return home.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-2016-sydney-midfielder-tom-mitchell-to-stay-a-swan-20160615-gpju5n.html#ixzz4BhEffC4w
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

• Like 2

3 Tipsters shared 6/9

Radar501

ozzydom

Chooka

Nice work by Radar501, ozzydom and Chooka in what was a brutal round.

The rampaging AlexRRR and BookMan leading at the halfway point.

Yes, a shortened round but still a few tricky ones.

North and the Hawks kick us off this Friday with the Roos having injury concerns.

North also have Adelaide away next game so a crucial game this week.

Could the Roos drop out of the top 4 for Ade?

Brissy versus the Eages unfortunately could be closer than first look, especially at the Gabba.

I don't think Freo and Port is a gimme. Freo playing better footy and Port in pretty good nick.

The Bulldogs and Geelong at Etihad looks like being a ball-tearer.

Good luck gangsters.

a few close gamws this week.

Sydney has 3 outs. the biggest is of course Tippet. no ruck duel between the two in form rucks of the comp this week.

Cunningham omitted for being generally lazy and useless and Harry Marsh out injured. Parker better pick his act up... the guy looks like he is being pre game pep talked by Lewis Jetta.

Dean Towers is a possible in which fulls the hearts of Sydney supporters with dread.

Melbourne in with a very good chance.

Dogs and the cats. Don't expect the doggies to let Dangerfield roam free..they will probably have an actual game plan...unlike the kangaroos...

Speaking of which... Roos have 4 players out and i dont like their chances...

Freo back in a bit of form.... but Port should win comfortably... they were unlucky in some ways not to beat the Doggies last week.... but it is a Freo home game and they want to finish ahead of brisbane and essendon this year.

Brisbane is playing West Coast... we know West Coast has away from home nerves... Chimpy DHL'd a nice jar of Horlicks to the boys this week.... should give them a nice sleep and calm their nerves.

Brisbane can't play any worse than last week ... then again maybe West Coast can't either... should be a game to forget

• Like 2