Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

11 hours ago, ripstanley said:

"Jordan Roughead has been pretty much told this is your last season and your free to move to another club....WOW...whats happing to the Hawks? Bit rough id say...the Hawks have moved from family club to a full on professional cut throat outfit...dont be surprised to see the razor taken to Clarkos throat sometime soon...And on the eve of the finals as well....what could be behind letting a stalwart of the club know his days are almost up?"

Alex this is from an earlier one of yours.

Jordan Roughead plays for Western Bulldogs.

Perhaps you should have used your fingers to find his correct name. 

Excuse my mistake there RIP.....Yes the Doggie was earlier reported to be looking to leave the Western Oval its also been reported that Hawks Captinao......Roughead has/was told to retire or move to a new club with the Hawks blessings just very recently....

• Like 2

Ummmmmm....Neeld....I never put all the blame at his feet the club was already a  basket case by the time Baily had been moved on...and as Neeld said right at the start the direction of where they were going came from the top, both Bailey and Neeld came with big wraps Bailey had been an assistant under Williams at Port with a flag under there belt Neeld came from Collingwood a flag and wraps from Malthouse, a smarter man would not have taken the job as senior coach at the Dee's, Stynes led the group he and the board of the day should take the blame.

Brent Moloney who had won the B&F the year before and a gun mid fell out with Mark in his first year then traded to the Lions the following year came out the other day and said the appointing of co captains was made by the coaches and staff that Neeld lied through his front teeth on open mike...Green was dumped as captain and Brent had been vice. 

Cameron Swab the chief executive at the time was on a mission to save his ass...had been dumbed under Gutnick and then returned was hell bent on becoming so powerful that he couldnt get touch again and thats were a lot of the problem lay. G Lyon would have been not only a mate of Cam but looked up to him so yeah....the inner sanctions of the mechanisms of the club were rotten to the core...

• Like 1

A highly unhelpful guide to AFL Finals Week One

Titus O'Reily

The only guide to the round that admits it’s completely unhelpful. What it lacks in insight, it makes up for with wild theories and detours onto unrelated topics.

It’s your unhelpful guide to AFL Finals Week One.

Thursday

Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG) 7.20PM All Times AEST

There was a lot of complaints in Melbourne about this game being on a Thursday night. 

I’m not sure why. Non-Victorian clubs have had Thursday night finals before, and in Perth to fit into the Eastern States prime time the games have to start at about ten in the morning. 

I have no problem with Thursday night finals. Why? Because finals take precedence over everything else. 

School, work, all these things can take a back seat. 

If you’ve got kids, just get the au pair to mind them and say merci beaucoup.

Isn’t it great to see the Hawks back in the finals? Like seeing an incredibly painful rash flare up again. 

The Hawks worry me. That Alastair Clarkson knows what he’s doing and it’s terrifying. 

People that know what they’re doing are a rare commodity in the AFL. There’s about six of them. 

Clarkson is so good he even offsets having Jeff Kennett at the club.

Richmond fans have had a year of bliss. You see them walking around everywhere with a look of post-coital bliss on their face. 

There’s apparently 100,000 Tigers members walking around like this, but club membership numbers have become incredibly rubbery in recent years. 

Like employment figures, people keep changing definitions to make the figures seem better. 

Once a club member meant someone that had a membership for either every game or every home game. Then it started to shift to people who bought a membership that covered three or four games. Then pets started to be counted in the figures. 

Now if you drive past Punt Road Oval, you get counted as a member.

I think Richmond can get the job done here.

Friday

Melbourne v Geelong (MCG) 7.50PM 

The bewildered people wandering around Melbourne this week are Demons supporters who didn’t even know footy could go this late in the season. 

“But it’s almost Spring; we would usually go down to Portsea this time of year to air the house out.”

The Dees face a tough game, with Razor Ray selected to resume his partnership with Joel Selwood. 

The combination of Joel’s love of staging and Razor’s love of the big stage is hard to resist. 

These two clubs have already had two classics this year, and you can build a convincing case for either to win. 

The media have been very bullish about Melbourne this week which is enough to terrify any Demons supporter. 

Geelong isn’t exactly inexperienced when it comes to finals, having played in the occasional one in recent times. 

I’ve always resented Geelong. They used to be terrible like Melbourne but then sorted themselves out off and on the field. 

It was like when a friend starts going to the gym, gets in shape, lands a great new job and settles down with someone wonderful. 

Sure, I pretended I was happy for Cats fans, but deep down I was angry. Geelong’s relentless professionalism just makes the rest of the league look bad.

I’m too nervous to be able to give any actual insight into this game. When I think about it, all the blood rushes to my head, and I have to lie down, and my staff fan me with palm leaves until I recover.

I’m going to tip the Dees, but I’m tipping with my heart, something I didn’t know I had until recently.

Saturday 

Sydney v Greater Western Sydney (SCG) 4.20PM

The Swans and the Giants are like a family, living under one roof. 

The younger sibling just wants to prove they can beat the older sibling, while the older sibling just wishes the younger one didn’t exist. 

Having someone around who wishes you had never been created is an intense experience, it’s what I feel when I attend social events, and the Giants, therefore, are no fans of the Swans.

It must be hard growing up in the shadows of a successful older sibling, but the Swans certainly had their awkward teenage stage. 

They even hung around with Geoffrey Edelsten for a while, making them the Gabi Grecko of the AFL.

Luckily it was just a phase.

There’s a great sense of excitement building in Western Sydney, and while that’s for the NRL finals, relatives of the Giants players are getting excited about this game.

These teams do not like each other. The only thing they agree on is they think the Kardashians would look at the Victorian footy media and say, ‘these people are incredibly self-involved.’

Both these clubs have had up and down season, but there’s no doubt they can perform on the day.

I’m tipping the Swans.

West Coast v Collingwood (OS) 6.10PM

As I predicted at the start of the season, West Coast and Collingwood finished top four. 

I even have proof, as I wrote it down on a bit of paper which I will show you as soon as the ink has dried.

Perth is a beautiful city, let down by the fact that it is riddled with Eagles fans. This weekend it will be even worse, with the joint teeming with Pies fans too.

My thoughts are with the hospitality staff in that city.

Like a professional Argentinian polo player trying to clear immigration, the Pies have had all sorts of obstacles thrown in their way this season.

Injuries, more injuries and then some more injuries have made things difficult, but they’ve persevered. 

It’s a lesson for all of us when life continues to throw challenges your way, give up immediately, or all you’ll get in the end is a trip to Perth.

Facing the Eagles at home is not exactly fun, but the Pies have shown an ability to overcome great odds, so write them off at your peril.

The Eagles clinched second spot and if anything, are underrated. Of all the teams, I probably fancy their chances of losing to Richmond in the Grand Final the most.

They’ve even won away from home this year making them a legitimate threat for the Premiership. 

Don’t let Eagles fans know I said anything nice about their team, however, I’ll never hear the end of it.

I’m tipping the Eagles.

• Like 1

Tigers not slipping yet.

Good win over the Hawks. 31 points ,9 away from my tip of 40 but do I still win anything?

Dusty's goal from the flank a rippa and pity jack didn't hold on to a flyer.

It was a bit sloppy but slippery so overall happy. Unhappy one of my favourites Sam Lloyd just missing out on lineup. Maybe next time champ.

Good luck to your teams and if you need calmers while watching just take a few Dramamine tabs. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stud858 said:

Tigers not slipping yet.

Good win over the Hawks. 31 points ,9 away from my tip of 40 but do I still win anything?

Dusty's goal from the flank a rippa and pity jack didn't hold on to a flyer.

It was a bit sloppy but slippery so overall happy. Unhappy one of my favourites Sam Lloyd just missing out on lineup. Maybe next time champ.

Good luck to your teams and if you need calmers while watching just take a few Dramamine tabs. 

You won the attention of the cute petite young thing in the corner of the bar you were watching the game from....you WILL win the grand opportunity to save her buffalo from a sickness made in hell.....your a lucky man tonight sudds...

I dont need pills kid to keep me calm....in the big one tonight...calmness comes with age you see older men dont get excited they just know how to take the opportunity offered....The little fella has his jumper on and is itching for the game to start, win loose or draw heaven forbid, think we can win and we owe them one BIG TIME, either way were not expected to go to deep into September therefore we have pretty much got as far as most expected us to go....No pressure on the Dee's tonight, it is pressure on the Cats who have traded heavy FA heavy and under achieved the last 3 years, Merlin is watching from up on high WILL wave the magic want fits needed....sim salsa bin Laden...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

You won the attention of the cute petite young thing in the corner of the bar you were watching the game from....you WILL win the grand opportunity to save her buffalo from a sickness made in hell.....your a lucky man tonight sudds...

I dont need pills kid to keep me calm....in the big one tonight...calmness comes with age you see older men dont get excited they just know how to take the opportunity offered....The little fella has his jumper on and is itching for the game to start, win loose or draw heaven forbid, think we can win and we owe them one BIG TIME, either way were not expected to go to deep into September therefore we have pretty much got as far as most expected us to go....No pressure on the Dee's tonight, it is pressure on the Cats who have traded heavy FA heavy and under achieved the last 3 years, Merlin is watching from up on high WILL wave the magic want fits needed....sim salsa bin Laden...

To be honest, I hadn't much notice the Dee's as much as I've noticed Geelong's decline.

Dee's by 10 points.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

To our good friend Alex. I wish you the best of luck tonight and I'm definitely on the demon team.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

To our good friend Alex. I wish you the best of luck tonight and I'm definitely on the demon team.

Thank you Mr Chooks......when you win it was a great game.....and we won so there for the algebra say's it was a great game.....1-10 in the second and third had cho the pup and me sweating it out on the couch recliner....as you recall we had them beat twice before so was it going to be deja vu again?........Merlin waved his wand over Dangerfield he was covered with a wet blanket most of the night, Captain Selwood cost them a goal and we can say he wasn't very affective Hey Abblet got his mojo working in the second half at 34 he could go another 2 years easy......elusive was hard to tackle once he got his power ranger socks on...

What can i say about the Demons? What i liked was it was a very Richmond type of game no body really stood out pretty much every man did his job, heartening that Weideman took another step forward....

Whats it say about the Cats? well if we knock off the Hawks it says chasing top talented Free Agents is a flawed business, a coment was made by someone at the Dee's tonight forget who now they and later Cameron Ling said the same thing..."develop your younger players on your list" seems some clubs opt for the ready to go players but you still need a team around them, AFL is unlike Soccer where you can bring in 3 or 4 good players that can gel with your squad and take you all the way...3 or 4 players dont even make a dent in an AFL team...

Anyway i can now relax and look forward top a weekend of NFL...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Well done Alex.

I think you'll have to raise your expectation levels now.

I can't see Hawthorn getting within a bulls roar of your boys so a prelim final as minimum.

It's a tricky one with FA.

Melbourne have had the benefit of a lot of top end draft picks over the years.

Sides like Syd and Hawthorn haven't had that luxury as they've been winning

or playing off in GF's.

All the breast for next week:smile:

Thanks WILL..... The top players we bought in didn't do a dam thing.....the Lion and the Pie, both spent more time in the injury and recovery room and we didn't go anywhere, Vince, Tyson who quickly came to mind were not top shelf at the time Melksham also wasn't considered a great player only Hibbered was rated highly. Its fair to say both the Cats and Hawks have been very aggressive in FA for the Cats at least it hasn't worked if we roll the Hawks you could almost say the same thing.

We had years of low draft picks for sure yet we still didn't go anywhere, there are very few players left from before Paul Roo's time, Viney, Jones, Jetta, Tom MacDonald the rest have come within the last 5 years...

Hard to raise my expectations after 12 years of misery seen to many woful games from that rabble and the 2 times we made the GF in living memory were where murdered.....salsa & corn chips on theme today...

• Like 2

Does anybody know what the odds were for demons to win the granny at the start of the year? 

I placed a wager on tigers to make the 8 at 8 to 1 last year. They weren't expected to do much. Expect the unexpected.

Gamble responsibly. Haha another oxymoron.

• Like 1

Watching the match last night I wanted to send Alex a message saying how well the Dee’s were doing but then me following the Dockers thought better of it. Just remembering back to when the Dockers only turned up for 3 quarters of the game and then went home. How many times were they way in front and then only to be beaten in the fourth quarter.
My worry was that some of the rumours about Ross Lyons being enticed to Melbourne may have been true, but I see he may be helping Geelong with their steady decline!!!!

• Like 2

Oh my. What happened to swans?

One thing for sure. Green needs to be told to keep his feet in. What happened to kicking in danger rule.

Studs to the guts or face should be out of the game. Just goes to show what kind of person green is.

17 hours ago, Thechook said:

Sports bet odds, Demons are 2nd behind the Tigers to win the flag.  Oh Alex stock up on tissues as missus palmer may come knocking.

Betting odds BOLONEY....whats the formula? 2cd favourite to take the flag think its marketing spin to keep it interesting boys....

I detest the fact the AFL are bring down the fabric of Australian family life to allow openly and in full reach and full view of ever living being in this country that gambling is normal, well drinking beer for many is normal too and so was smoking....there are strict rules when you can advertise certain things have banned smoking adverts all together.......kids of 6 or 7 are going to grow up thinking betting on a game is normal behaviour....about 1 in 10 humans have some obsessive compulsive behaviour, The AFL pitch it as a family game sorry gambling dont sit well with me it should be kept to the local tab...if you can walk in there and place a bet with all the smoke pollution and find the counter your a better man than me....

• Like 1

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Finals Week One

10 September 2018
picture-37-1483958116.jpg?itok=s9T-V4Xc
By Titus O'Reily

nathan_jones.jpg

Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday, you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

Richmond (95) v Hawthorn (64)

Once a Tigers’ final was a chance to have a good laugh then settle in for a week of the club tearing itself apart, with the fans calling for more blood to be spilt than a Mayan human sacrifice.

Now, the opponent is the sacrifice, and the result is rather terrifying for the rest of us.

The Tigers did what they do on the MCG, strangle their opponent while Dusty throws in a few party tricks that defy the laws underpinning our reality.

It was certainly strange to see confident Richmond fans sitting next to nervous Hawks supporters during the night, like seeing the Sun out at night.

When Dusty kicked his rather astonishing goal from the boundary, you could sense the Richmond faithful relaxing in the knowledge that this was probably going to be their night.

The idea that Dusty has saved his best for finals is going to keep me awake at night, as well as the idea that Richmond supporters’ happiness continues to grow like some newly released primeval force that will one day sweep all before it.

Hawthorn didn’t seem even close as the game progressed.

Like that one time I went on a date, under pressure the Hawks crumbled when it mattered most.

An aversion to contact, little accountability, excessive sweating and having way too much to drink beforehand is what got me, and I can only assume the Hawks as well.

Hawthorn’s night wasn’t helped by the fact Ben Stratton went off with a hamstring injury.

After the game, Alastair Clarkson said to the media “you guys are like a bunch of sheep.”

He was forced to offer an apology to sheep afterwards.

Melbourne (75) v Geelong (46)

I remember the day a fire alarm went off at work, and before realising it was a drill, I ran screaming, down ten flights of stairs while crying hysterically, only calming down several days later when police found me huddled behind a dumpster several suburbs away.

The reason I tell that story is I still had more composure than these sides did on Friday night.

There were missed shots everywhere, kicks hitting opponents on the chest, simple marks dropped and Joel Selwood losing his cool and taking away the small amount of momentum the Cats had built up.

With no real composure to speak of it all came down to pressure, and Melbourne piled it on like a side who had twelve years of pressure behind it. 

Every time a Cats player got the ball a Melbourne player was there to at least harass them and often tackle them hard.

The few times the Cats seemed to be on the way back, they’d be a missed goal, or Joel Selwood’s brain snap when he gave away a free on his way off the ground, just as Hawkins was taking a shot on goal, effectively reversing that and giving the Dees the ball back on the wing.

While giving a free away at that point was ill-disciplined, it was the bravest ill-disciplined free kick I ever saw.

As the Melbourne faithful began to realise they weren’t just in the finals but might win one, the rattle of jewellery was deafening.

Personally, it was easily the greatest night of my life, going right past the time I got an extra serve of fries at the Macca’s drive thru by accident, and when I got home Die Hard was on.

Melbourne will now face Hawthorn on Friday night in a match that will tear private schools apart this week.

Sydney (30) v Greater Western Sydney (79)

The Battle of the Bridge turned out to be more of a light skirmish as the Swans forgot to pack any firepower.

Calling it a contest would be misleading; let’s call it a get together to officially declare the Giants the winners.

Sydney’s problems were so extensive it would be easier to list what went right:

• End of list

Perhaps worst of all was the Swans forward line which worked about as well as Ticketek. It was intermittent at first before pretty much shutting down entirely.

John Longmire said afterwards, "We just didn't get anything right," which was the first sign of accuracy from the Swans all day.

The Giants had winners all over the field, with Phil Davis’ job on Buddy Franklin the best example. 

Even Josh Kelly going off early with a knee injury had no discernible impact.

Toby Greene returned from his hamstring injury doing all the Toby Greene things, kicking goals and people. 

The Swans will now wonder what happened all off-season, while the Giants travel to the MCG to play Collingwood, giving them a chance to actually win over the hearts and minds of Victorians.

West Coast (86) v Collingwood (70)

In the one good game of the weekend, the Pies and the Eagles gave us everything you could want in a final, momentum swings, multiple lead changes, high pressure and Collingwood losing in heart breaking fashion.

The Eagles got off to a flying start, but the Pies have shown all year that they annoyingly never give up.

Collingwood’s run was insane, and the Eagles were on the back foot for long periods of the game.

The Eagles hung in there though, having to overcome an equal free kick count of 23-23, which had the crowd booing at the unfairness of it all.

As the Pies tired, the Eagles started to run over the top of them, and you could sense the pressure as Channel Seven kept showing Eddie McGuire losing his mind in a manner that would normally result in people texting that number to report anti-social behaviour.

As West Coast went ahead, there was an air of inevitably about it, as the home crowd cheered on the Eagles.

The final quarter was mainly dominated by the Eagles intercepting the Pies and then scoring on them, making the loss sting all the more.

The Pies must now face the Giants at the MCG. If they lose that, Eddie will be trying to have the Giants kicked out of the competition before Buckley hosts his post-match media conference.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Well Edd's spitting chips today.....6 day turn around for the Pie game against the GWS....he has a point, the AFL are not the clue ist outfit in town...

Grant and Rip plus former TV member not in a good mood today....and may even be more gloomy once they read Jake Lloyd's name coming up in Suns affairs...the Dew connection you see....

Best goal ever dont you think? D Martin made it look god dam simple....i noticed Dee players right in front of goal couldnt slot it....D martin for goal kicking coach at the Dee's when he hangs his boots up.....Might pay Goodwin to have a few doing goal kicking practice....wont want to be missing them this friday night...

We dont need Gaff....Fj's boys can have him....rather keep on building from within.....the Meaow's WILL notice that the 2 hot fav's for the flag didnt go out and buy any top guns, Dogs a short while ago same same....getting the right players is important its even more important to get the people who can spot these players in your camp....then the coaching staff to mature them.....

Only 2 days to go....D-Apple Day.....ho its exciting times cause a duel sim card model pic was sneaked out very recently and its the mid model with LCD screen an over grown X but not a plus...wow....the plus WILL be called Max i believe...anyway its going to be the cheapest of all three.....my only concern now is the camera....i ditched my camera when i got the 7 so at least it needs to be equivalent WILL keep you posted....of my pleasure....

Some transgender sheiler has spat the dummy with the AFL....really how could she/he possibly be allowed to compete with women on a football ground? yes some are butch and look like men but there not men she/he  would be like throwing Sudds into the game all brute and force twice the strength and all....ive been slapped by a petite lady boy and it frigging hurt so there you go...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

We dont need Gaff....Fj's boys can have him....rather keep on building from within.....the Meaow's WILL notice that the 2 hot fav's for the flag didnt go out and buy any top guns, Dogs a short while ago same same....getting the right players is important its even more important to get the people who can spot these players in your camp....then the coaching staff to mature them.....

What will your take on free agency be when the Tigers get Tom Lynch?

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

What will your take on free agency be when the Tigers get Tom Lynch?

Wops...was having dinner when i posted....did not read your post well at all.....

From what ive noticed we need a defender who can play tall a good spoiler good mark and can run off the forwards,  Frost who i was saying forever should be in the team and is just a kid ....id have another like him, then my choice would be a mid that can play forward, Christian P id like to see on the ball more and less in the forward line, since i pretty much only watch Melbourne i really wouldn't have a clue who would fit the rolls i mentioned....

Looked like a curse when Hogan went out for the season, i didnt think it would be, the rest of the league didnt have 17 games to get ready, Goodwin changed the forward structure and we havent looked back since...even i prefer Bailey F up forward they got im doing the intercept marking down back must be working because we been winning...

• Like 1