Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Sheeet

This is turning out to be a nightmare trade for the Dockers.

From @freodockers on Hogan:
Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan is taking leave away from the club so he can deal with mental health challenges.
“Jesse needs time away from the club so he can manage mental health challenges that he is dealing with and focus on his general wellbeing”

I would have thought the time he had off since the season ended was time away from the club.

No wonder Melbourne were keen to offload him

57 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

I would have thought the time he had off since the season ended was time away from the club.

No wonder Melbourne were keen to offload him

I think Melbourne weren't unhappy to see him go TBH.

I might cop a bit of flack for this, but I reckon "mental health" is the new

"sore back/neck".

Obviously not in all cases.

But once it's mentioned, said player escapes any further scrutiny or criticism.

I reckon some players use it as a get out of jail card.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Disappointed to see Roos leaving Fox, especially OTC.

Possible replacements?

Put your money on Kingy or Reiwoldt.

Ross Lyon as a smokey?

Paul Roos steps away from full-time Fox Footy role in 2020

AFL Hall of Famer Paul Roos will step away from his full-time role at Fox Footy and its iconic program On The Couch as he looks to expand his business and travel interests this year.

The man who unlocked Sydney’s 72-year premiership drought as coach in 2005 has been an integral part of Fox Footy’s coverage since finishing up as Melbourne coach in 2016.

He was one of the most popular members of the Fox Sports team with his incisive analysis.

But he won’t be completely lost to the network, having agreed to work on some special projects with Fox Sports.

“It has been a pleasure to work with Fox Footy over the past three years,” Roos said.

“I am really looking forward to stepping back my media commitments in 2020 to focus on my corporate speaking and business interests.”

Roos will also spend part of the year travelling with his wife, Tami, but plans to focus more on his expanding business interests, including corporate speaking and training.

The AFL great was a key member of Fox Footy’s On The Couch team alongside Gerard Healy, Jonathan Brown and Garry Lyon.

A replacement for Roos will be announced in the coming weeks.

Fox Sports head of television Steve Crawley paid tribute to Roos’ professionalism during his three seasons with the network.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

These guys choose to enter the AFL system, so they know the restrictions going in.  Cam McCarthy pulled the big one and he was forced to sit a season out as GWS played hard ball
Brisbane lost a raft of players a few years back to the alleged homesick factor.

I'm sure there is a homesick factor for a lot of these players, but that is part of life, so take it on the chin and enjoy the big $$ starting off and the possibility of earning half a million a year for being an average player.

Part of this is being driven by agents and part by players, who want the best of both worlds. Give me the money and give me the lifestyle.

Look at how many workers from Thailand go overseas to work as maids, masseurs, restaurant workers hotel staff in other countries for years on end: leaving family behind and sending their paltry wags home to the family. I'm sure these people are homesick as fark too, but they know the sacrifice they have to make and get on with things 

The players are getting far too much control IMO.

• Like 2

On mental health I was married to a woman for 20 ys with OCD and suffered depression hospitalised twice for periods of around 7 weeks each time, at the time we had young children...

There are many reasons for metal health disorders in many cases its life long from birth such as with my ex wife, she by the way operated quite normally most of the time, I couldnt see her anguish over her job then trying to raise 2 young children, I wasnt aware of the signs so of course didnt take any notice...until she was diagnosed. 

Many also need a dramatic event to trigger it off as in the case of Hogans father passing away, there was an advert running around in AU on the telly some 10 ys ago that 1 in 5 Aussies will suffer a mental half issue at least partly for a time, so when you get knocked for 6 and are unbalanced for a day or two your one of that 5, how about the military? dont think id like ducking for cover with bullets and missiles wizzing around me....its going to impact on some for sure if it keeps happing.

I dont think to many AFL players are pulling stunts to get a trade most clubs are well aware of mental health now and would have staff capable to handle it and to put the player in the care that he needs...like Hogan is a potential 2 million dollar man there not going to root around with his health at what 24 now.....Dees no doubt knew he was suffering and Freo no doubt new he was delicately poised hence the one only first round draft pick compensation....as if you went on his talent was worth 2 low first round picks for sure...

Ive lived through it through ex wife and now son...its not a bluff plenty of people walking around with mental health issues, being single for 20 ys you see a lot of "disturbed people" even if its just temporary, getting over some drama, many dont ever get over it and leads to full on depression some can manage it some cant some win some loose many relationships suffer...

You can bet with 40 odd players on your team list 5 to 8 have something going on in there head and its not the size of next contract...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

I hope not

David King has a pathological hatred of Sydney and likes to apply the dig whenever he can

My sentiments of D King are well known here.....you have a remote control...turn down the sound...worked wonders with Sandy......never trust a man with a very short neck....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexRRR said:

My sentiments of D King are well known here.....you have a remote control...turn down the sound...worked wonders with Sandy......never trust a man with a very short neck....

I know you are a big fan of Wayne King but I didnt know you disliked David King

Just now, BookmanBkk said:

I know you are a big fan of Wayne King but I didnt know you disliked David King

You have been missing in action.....loath the guy....seen a few shows on Kayo with Davie hosting or involved...pure dick and a small one....Nick R well I know chooks looks up to him but as a commentator is stiff and plastic, doesn't have a voice for the telly either...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

I hope not

David King has a pathological hatred of Sydney and likes to apply the dig whenever he can

Kingy is not my cup of tea TBH.

However, I did warm to him when he stood up for Andrew Gaff against Gerard Whately,

when Whately wanted to pretty much give him the death penalty.  

Still, my greatest King moment is his prediction for the AFL GF:biggrin:

Swans by 68 points.

211282_019911d4660cea142c3c0394837144ac.jpg
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Will27 said:

Kingy is not my cup of tea TBH.

However, I did warm to him when he stood up for Andrew Gaff against Gerard Whately,

when Whately wanted to pretty much give him the death penalty.  

Still, my greatest King moment is his prediction for the AFL GF:biggrin:

Swans by 68 points.

211282_019911d4660cea142c3c0394837144ac.jpg

Oops

Forgot to add this was the 2014 GF which Hawthorn won by 63 points.

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Oops

Forgot to add this was the 2014 GF which Hawthorn won by 63 points.

Okay... OKay ... I'll bite ????????

Biggest loss of our entire season.
Horrible game to watch for Sydney supporters
Buddy Franklin stood up and was one of our best. So many long time players played like they though the real game was the next day.

Should have been a lesson in the limitations of John Longmire's coaching ability

Edited by BookmanBkk

28 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Okay... OKay ... I'll bite ????????

Biggest loss of our entire season.
Horrible game to watch for Sydney supporters
Buddy Franklin stood up and was one of our best. So many long time players played like they though the real game was the next day.

Should have been a lesson in the limitations of John Longmire's coaching ability

Wasn't having a dig at Sydney BM.

Merely pointing out what great analyst DK is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

You can't help yourself can you BM!

I know, it's a sickness:biggrin:

I'm quite concerned out Maxxy.

He is their best player and if he is out for the season... well.... that's season over for the Dees

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 1

Just for Alex.

Demons relief: Max Gawn knee injury relatively minor

Melbourne's All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn suffered a strain to his medial ligament at training on the Sunshine Coast on Friday.

The Demons sent him for scans as it was not obvious what was causing the soreness to his left knee and they were relieved to find the injury was relatively minor.

Gawn is a vital cog in the Demons' outfit and, along with Collingwood's Brodie Grundy, is one of the game's best two ruckmen.

He has had his right knee reconstructed twice, the first time in 2009 before he was drafted and the second in 2012. He sent a scare through Melbourne supporters in the final round of 2014 when he hurt his knee but the damage was relatively minor.

Gawn has played 120 games since being drafted in 2009 and is one of the most respected players in the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Sydney Swans, sorry Sydney Sixers into the grand final of the Big Bash. Melbourne Stars all out for 99. 

Nice work by your boys Rip.

Seems if Stoinis goes early, they all follow cheaply, including Maxwell.

Couldn't believe the Stars won the toss and bowled TBH.

They've lost their last 3 4 chasing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

Just for Alex.

Demons relief: Max Gawn knee injury relatively minor

Melbourne's All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn suffered a strain to his medial ligament at training on the Sunshine Coast on Friday.

The Demons sent him for scans as it was not obvious what was causing the soreness to his left knee and they were relieved to find the injury was relatively minor.

Gawn is a vital cog in the Demons' outfit and, along with Collingwood's Brodie Grundy, is one of the game's best two ruckmen.

He has had his right knee reconstructed twice, the first time in 2009 before he was drafted and the second in 2012. He sent a scare through Melbourne supporters in the final round of 2014 when he hurt his knee but the damage was relatively minor.

Gawn has played 120 games since being drafted in 2009 and is one of the most respected players in the game.

Some hopeful positive spin from the Melbourne PR department about Gawn's season ending injury ????????

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 2

No need to panic Alex:smile:

UPDATE: Max suffers 'moderate' knee strain, still hopeful of R1

TRIPLE All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn will miss up to five weeks of pre-season training after suffering a knee injury on Friday. 

Gawn was assisted from the track at the club's Maroochydore training camp clutching his left knee before sitting out the remainder of the training session. 

The 28-year-old was sent for immediate scans which later confirmed a moderate strain in his medial ligament.

His latest knee setback, which will keep him away from main training for at least three weeks, is a blow for Gawn who was eyeing a place in the Victorian line-up for State of Origin Bushfire Relief match on February 28. 

"Max got a knock to the knee during a match simulation drill earlier today, and scans have since revealed a Grade 2 medial ligament strain," Demons head of football Josh Mahoney told the club's website. 

"Whilst exact timelines are yet to determined, at this stage, we anticipate he will be available for the start of the season."

Liam Ryan won the Mark of the Year. Photo: Richard Wainwright/AAP Image.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Will27 said:

No need to panic Alex:smile:

UPDATE: Max suffers 'moderate' knee strain, still hopeful of R1

TRIPLE All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn will miss up to five weeks of pre-season training after suffering a knee injury on Friday. 

Gawn was assisted from the track at the club's Maroochydore training camp clutching his left knee before sitting out the remainder of the training session. 

The 28-year-old was sent for immediate scans which later confirmed a moderate strain in his medial ligament.

His latest knee setback, which will keep him away from main training for at least three weeks, is a blow for Gawn who was eyeing a place in the Victorian line-up for State of Origin Bushfire Relief match on February 28. 

"Max got a knock to the knee during a match simulation drill earlier today, and scans have since revealed a Grade 2 medial ligament strain," Demons head of football Josh Mahoney told the club's website. 

"Whilst exact timelines are yet to determined, at this stage, we anticipate he will be available for the start of the season."

Liam Ryan won the Mark of the Year. Photo: Richard Wainwright/AAP Image.

Gawn is Gorrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!
@@AlexRRR

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

I'm quite concerned out Maxxy.

He is their best player and if he is out for the season... well.... that's season over for the Dees

Dont you worry about the Dee big man department, Luke Jackson first round draft pick is playing game 1....the Weed of course and lets not forget Pruss is ready to step up as well.....and Tom MaC can play ruck too ......I have never bought into that you need a dominant big man to go all the way....

Plenty of teams have won a GF with just an average ruck man...Tigers and Eagles the last 2....

• Like 1