Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

7 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Actually I dont consider him - AW - genuine . Great speaker but really a bit of a con man ...and eventually an alcoholic .

Perhaps his fame in the seventies led him through some rough path.

He is not the only talented man to experience a fall from grace.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps his fame in the seventies led him through some rough path.

He is not the only talented man to experience a fall from grace.

Like that Waco commune bloke....Mind you his todger had lots of work...????

On 4/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, baboon said:

Not a believer myself, but good luck to those who derive comfort and succour from their religion - Providing they are not ramming it down my throat, that is.

Good idea for what could be a fascinating thread, by the way.

If it makes one content in what they believe in ok.

I'll go along with it.

Edited by Percy P
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

<snip> as you grow and evolve and have thousands of experiences of God and Spirit, so your knowledge expands as you move towards enlightenment <snip>

I've selected a snip of your comment, not to play "gotcha", rather, I mused that I could substitute "God and Spirit" with any number of man-made constructs and it would be "true" to the people who subscribe to it.   You could also delete it entirely and the sentence still works; in my opinion, it would be more honest and realistic, and is rather self-evident.

A more honest, simplistic view of us, as a species, is we are merely another strain of animals on this planet.  We are born, search for and consume food and water, defecate, reproduce, try not to get killed by other animals, and then we die.  Same as the soi dogs around my moo baan.

What sets us apart from other species is once our basic needs are met, we get bored and start concocting questions and making shit up to answer them.  Then we try to sell to others in the clan.  Who am I? Why am I here?  What's my purpose?  It's a billion dollar industry designed to extract money from people desperate to avoid a truth they refuse to accept. 

Sometimes the simplest, most obvious answer is, in fact, the answer.  Occam's razor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

I've selected a snip of your comment, not to play "gotcha", rather, I mused that I could substitute "God and Spirit" with any number of man-made constructs and it would be "true" to the people who subscribe to it.   You could also delete it entirely and the sentence still works; in my opinion, it would be more honest and realistic, and is rather self-evident.

A more honest, simplistic view of us, as a species, is we are merely another strain of animals on this planet.  We are born, search for and consume food and water, defecate, reproduce, try not to get killed by other animals, and then we die.  Same as the soi dogs around my moo baan.

What sets us apart from other species is once our basic needs are met, we get bored and start concocting questions and making shit up to answer them.  Then we try to sell to others in the clan.  Who am I? Why am I here?  What's my purpose?  It's a billion dollar industry designed to extract money from people desperate to avoid a truth they refuse to accept. 

Sometimes the simplest, most obvious answer is, in fact, the answer.  Occam's razor.

36 minutes ago, Scutty said:

And while were at it .....

Oh God...please make it stop

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

From an American perspective, cause he was one.  Some will consider it a cop out.  Others might consider it enlightenment, achieved near the end of his 'journey'.

I am a bit tired of George Carlin..he was a one shot show.

Whether,in the long run,he was better than Red Hot Chilli Peppers (jolly awful) is debatable and best left to God to decide.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I am a bit tired of George Carlin..he was a one shot show.

Whether,in the long run,he was better than Red Hot Chilli Peppers (jolly awful) is debatable and best left to God to decide.

Which one.....????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Which one.....????

Most will do..but I am veering between The Great Black Bull of the White Umfolozi River..and the Great White Bull of the Black Umfolozi River.

Anything other than an American god.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Most will do..but I am veering between The Great Black Bull of the White Umfolozi River..and the Great White Bull of the Black Umfolozi River.

Mine is a new barrel of Woodford's Wherry...????

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:32 PM, Benroon said:

We also know that a virgin birth didn't happen don't we so the whole thing is based on madness.

No we don't. What actually did you learn in school? Lady puts hand into boys trousers, he yerks off ... she wants an orgasm, too, stimulating herself ... pregnant ... wow, that was easy.

6 minutes ago, Enki said:

No we don't. What actually did you learn in school? Lady puts hand into boys trousers, he yerks off ... she wants an orgasm, too, stimulating herself ... pregnant ... wow, that was easy.

Your teacher told you that.....?......She might have been fantasizing, but am sure some fooling around is the key...

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Long story made short..... the answer to the Big Question is:  We don't know.  Yet. 

I'm cool with that.  :thumbsup:

And we dont invent mystical fantasy beings to say "they made us" thats the easy dumb way out and makes religion nonsense

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Would you settle for a black and white  bull from the grey  Umfolozi river?

10 minutes ago, Naam said:

agreed, but not being a follower of any religion doesn't mean necessarily mean that one doesn't believe in the existence of "God" or a godlike entity.

Yep agnostic. An even more confusing philosophy for even more confused people. 

• Haha 1

I find that honest atheists are better company than fake believers, but, if you deny the existence of gods, and even the existence of an intelligent design.. Do you believe in something ?

Are we wired to believe in something ?

And if you just believe in yourself, is that convenient ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Naam said:

agreed, but not being a follower of any religion doesn't mean necessarily mean that one doesn't believe in the existence of "God" or a godlike entity.

Anyone can believe what they like; but it doesn't make what they believe in true. 

If it wasn't for indoctrination of children, religion might well have died out by now.

Davis Icke says religion is delusional at best and mental illness at worst. Tend to agree with that.

• Like 2