Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

56 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I am still convinced that "official science" is not buying a lot into mysteries, and probably rightly so, yet i am sure that, despite our distant ancestors being mostly ignorant, there must have been somebody around who had some exceptional knowledge.

Consider that, at those times, very few people could write and read, and paper and books were probably very rare, or not even existing yet.

I'm sure in all civilizations, in the past and the present, there are always a few exceptionally bright individuals who create brilliant ideas which are later confirmed to be 'more or less' true, but not necessarily 'absolutely' true.

Both Democritus in ancient Greece, and Acharya Kanad in ancient India came up with the idea of the indivisible atom which they thought was eternal and couldn't be destroyed. They didn't get it completely right because we now know that atoms are not indivisible, but they are the building blocks of all the matter we can detect.

However, Dark Matter is something we are still trying to detect. It might not exist. Maybe some of you spiritualists will be able to detect it through your extrasensory perceptions. ????

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Skeptic is not really at the friend level. For him God is more like a neighbor that he doesn't like but hasn't bothered to talk to him yet.

I know you're trying to be funny, but you know nothing about me. You and others here have beliefs, which I don't share. I ask for evidence or some good reason for others (other than yourselves) to share in those beliefs and get less than nothing as a response...except for more nonsense. When I call out such nonsense...y'all take offense. No more free passes, special treatment and undeserved privilege/respect to the superstitious. None. 

God(s) is a ridiculous and unfounded superstitious concept with zero evidence to support it. I understand that such beliefs are essential for some. Not for me. Seems childish, frightened and out of touch with reality...but to each their own. 

I have a (very) few friends whom are believers. We disagree and I am brutally honest with them too, but we remain friends. They also offer nothing other than their indoctrination, blind faith or feel good explanations. I tell them so and some of them even get it! They don't just stomp feet, grab ball and run home like most here do. You don't know me.  

Below is a powerful quote to believers. I take it even further to include all the vague, nuanced, esoteric and "spiritual" god concepts, to which some here prescribe. I also added 2 words (in parentheses). 

"When you (truly) understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will (finally) understand why I dismiss yours."

Stephen Roberts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

I'm sure in all civilizations, in the past and the present, there are always a few exceptionally bright individuals who create brilliant ideas which are later confirmed to be 'more or less' true, but not necessarily 'absolutely' true.

Both Democritus in ancient Greece, and Acharya Kanad in ancient India came up with the idea of the indivisible atom which they thought was eternal and couldn't be destroyed. They didn't get it completely right because we now know that atoms are not indivisible, but they are the building blocks of all the matter we can detect.

However, Dark Matter is something we are still trying to detect. It might not exist. Maybe some of you spiritualists will be able to detect it through your extrasensory perceptions. ????

Lol, we know that dark places exist, but normally we tend to avoid them !

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Below is a powerful quote to believers. I take it even further to include all the vague, nuanced, esoteric and "spiritual" god concepts, to which some here prescribe. I also added 2 words (in parentheses). 

"When you (truly) understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will (finally) understand why I dismiss yours."

That seems to be an honest post, as i said a few aeons ago, i have more respect for a honest atheist than i have for all those bigots who go to church on Sunday morning just for show.

Actually, i give some credit to the possibility that every single atom could be little solar systems with their little planets, where little people discuss about the existence of god(s).

So you might be a huge god too !

God is just a name, like Tom or Sarah, but in all honesty, if i have to choose between everything happening by chance, or happening by intelligent design, i choose the latter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

if i have to choose between everything happening by chance, or happening by intelligent design, i choose the latter.

And I...the former. No surprise there.

And as I stated eons ago...explaining an unknown (currently) with something even more unlikely, mysterious and unknown seems contradictory and not an explanation at all. 

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

And I...the former. No surprise there.

And as I stated eons ago...explaining an unknown (currently) with something even more unlikely, mysterious and unknown seems contradictory and not an explanation at all. 

Ok, maybe tomorrow i'll come out with something very unlikely and frickin' mysterious.. For now, peace ????

On 11/6/2019 at 12:19 AM, VincentRJ said:
On 11/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Elad said:

A true nothingness would be no matter, no radiation, no time and no spatial dimensions, but that, we cant even imagine because we only know of something. 

I agree. You've expressed it better than I did in post #3225.  ????

Its the only time I make sense when we are talking about nothing. ????

On 11/6/2019 at 12:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That is the nothingness that I'm asking about. How can something come from that nothing?

I guess I'm also asking how "God" came into being to create everything?

Don't know. Maybe positive and negative dimensions appeared from nothing and the sum of those dimensions is zero, like the zero energy universe. 

I quite like the idea of negative mass i.e. -1 kg  existing in negative dimensions and who knows it could account for the parts of the universe that's missing (dark matter/energy).

Imagine how weird negative mass would be. If you urinated negative mass, the pressure in your bladder would increase, and you would need to drink more negative mass for the pressure to decrease. ???? Just speculation though and I think we are allowed to speculate in this thread.

If God exists then it would need a creator, then God's creator would need a creator and thus an infinite number of creators would be needed.

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I know you're trying to be funny, but you know nothing about me. You and others here have beliefs, which I don't share. I ask for evidence or some good reason for others (other than yourselves) to share in those beliefs and get less than nothing as a response...except for more nonsense. When I call out such nonsense...y'all take offense. No more free passes, special treatment and undeserved privilege/respect to the superstitious. None. 

God(s) is a ridiculous and unfounded superstitious concept with zero evidence to support it. I understand that such beliefs are essential for some. Not for me. Seems childish, frightened and out of touch with reality...but to each their own. 

I have a (very) few friends whom are believers. We disagree and I am brutally honest with them too, but we remain friends. They also offer nothing other than their indoctrination, blind faith or feel good explanations. I tell them so and some of them even get it! They don't just stomp feet, grab ball and run home like most here do. You don't know me.  

Stephen Roberts

Honest question for you skeptic, but for all other atheists too:
What would you regard as unequivocal proof of the existence of Spirit? How would you expect to get proof?

Would it be enough if the scientific community agrees that there is indeed something, but they can't explain it fully because it's beyond their capabilities? You'd have to take their word for it, without ever having experienced it.

Would it be enough if you had a spontaneous revelation about the Universe and your place in it? In this case though, you'd have the experience, but for all scientific purposes it would be useless and worthless.

And, given the choice, which one of these 2 options would you rather choose?

Edited by Sunmaster

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Honest question for you skeptic, but for all other atheists:
What would you regard as unequivocal proof of the existence of Spirit? How would you expect to get proof?

Would it be enough if the scientific community agrees that there is indeed something, but they can't explain it fully because it's beyond their capabilities? You'd have to take their word for it, without ever having experienced it.

Would it be enough if you had a spontaneous revelation about the Universe and your place in it? In this case though, you'd have the experience, but for all scientific purposes it would be useless and worthless.

And, given the choice, which one of these 2 options would you rather choose?

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun

1. the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Provide some!!!
Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun

1. the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Provide some!!!

You mean I should provide evidence for you?
I'm neither a scientist, nor could I have spiritual experiences for you, sorry.

So, you'd prefer having evidence provided by science, without the personal experience. Right?
What would that give you then? A new worldview? A new belief system?

2 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

You mean I should provide evidence for you?
I'm neither a scientist, nor could I have spiritual experiences for you, sorry.

So, you'd prefer having evidence provided by science, without the personal experience. Right?
What would that give you then? A new worldview? A new belief system?

Not to me,I couldn't care less. to whomever for whatever claim. Provide evidence. otherwise it is just your :

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/
noun

1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sirineou said:

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun

Provide some!!!

If you are too lazy to look for evidence of intelligent design by yourself, fair enough.

If you are too lazy to provide evidence of the non-existence of intelligent design, it's also fair enough.

If you want to believe or disbelieve, it's not anyone's problem.

Why do you expect others to do the work for you ? That is not fair imho.

spir·it
/ˈspirit/
noun

1. 1. 
    the nonphysical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
    "we seek a harmony between body and spirit"
  2. those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.

This definition seems to suggest spirit is what makes us individual and unique and is who we are which not hard to prove I would have thought.If one means Holy Spirit well that is what something some people choose to believe exists and as Holy Spirit is another term for God which for me needs to be definitively defined in order to proceed with any discussion and as I've mentioned before few are willing to definitively define the word but continue to argue their case based on their own belief of what the word means to them.With out stating what it means to them it makes it difficult to mount and argument for or against.
    I would suggest to make the debate interesting and to test people's skill would be to swap sides in the debate for a while and lets see where the argument goes!My guess that there will be few if any willing to test their resolve. 
Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:
This definition seems to suggest spirit is what makes us individual and unique and is who we are which not hard to prove I would have thought.If one means Holy Spirit well that is what something some people choose to believe exists and as Holy Spirit is another term for God which for me needs to be definitively defined in order to proceed with any discussion and as I've mentioned before few are willing to definitively define the word but continue to argue their case based on their own belief of what the word means to them.With out stating what it means to them it makes it difficult to mount and argument for or against.
I would suggest to make the debate interesting and to test people's skill would be to swap sides in the debate for a while and lets see where the argument goes!My guess that there will be few if any willing to test their resolve. 

Interesting post, perhaps you can start to define what "holy spirit" (which personally i would accept as a synonym for "God") means to you.

I think my position is clear, i cannot prove it by the parameters imposed by science, yet i believe it exists.

The deniers get it easy, saying that they have not to prove anything, but for me, it's like admitting that their scientific theories are flawed, or at least incomplete (and that's being generous)

52 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Interesting post, perhaps you can start to define what "holy spirit" (which personally i would accept as a synonym for "God") means to you.

I think my position is clear, i cannot prove it by the parameters imposed by science, yet i believe it exists.

The deniers get it easy, saying that they have not to prove anything, but for me, it's like admitting that their scientific theories are flawed, or at least incomplete (and that's being generous)

Glad you asked. It seems quite simple but like some simple things it can be quite complex.

God = Everything = The Universe.Now the word everything is an all inclusive word which I try to avoid using with some sort of clarification.My definition is derived from the dictionary meaning of the exist or existence or something which exist.To me thoughts exist beliefs exist even if only in the minds of men and women.This is my definition of God or my interpretation of the definition and it seems to me that most people have their own definition of God but regardless of each individuals definition if they have a definition of God then God exists as that definition in one's mind,did you see the term "god exists" there?

When I was discussing this with Skeptic7 and stated my definition he said I couldn't make my own definition,so I asked for his definition and he replied the generally accepted definition of the word God he latter went on to say he doesn't believe in an "imaginary friend" so for Skeptic7 god is sometimes an imaginary friend,so "God exists" in (there's those words again) in Skeptic7's mind all be it as an imaginary friend.God exists in the mind,and with my definition if it exists it is God which although I've tried I cannot find fault with my argument.So I try to get others to help me find fault with my argument but remain unconvinced I'm wrong.    

Edited by FarFlungFalang

24 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Glad you asked. It seems quite simple but like some simple things it can be quite complex.

God = Everything = The Universe.Now the word everything is an all inclusive word which I try to avoid using with some sort of clarification.My definition is derived from the dictionary meaning of the exist or existence or something which exist.To me thoughts exist beliefs exist even if only in the minds of men and women.This is my definition of God or my interpretation of the definition and it seems to me that most people have their own definition of God but regardless of each individuals definition if they have a definition of God then God exists as that definition in one's mind,did you see the term "god exists" there?

When I was discussing this with Skeptic7 and stated my definition he said I couldn't make my own definition,so I asked for his definition and he replied the generally accepted definition of the word God he latter went on to say he doesn't believe in an "imaginary friend" so for Skeptic7 god is sometimes an imaginary friend,so "God exists" in (there's those words again) in Skeptic7's mind all be it as an imaginary friend.God exists in the mind,and with my definition if it exists it is God which although I've tried I cannot find fault with my argument.So I try to get others to help me find fault with my argument but remain unconvinced I'm wrong.    

Ok, i agree with you that thoughts exist.

I agree that if just one person thinks that God exists, then God exists (in that person's mind)

But that's obviously not enough to say that God exists in general.

So this argument is flawed imho.

Agree that God can be compared to "everything" (the  physical universe is supposed to be God's creation, so it has a beginning and an end).

Yet, the apparent infinity of the universe, is a strong argument for our perception of reality being limited, that implies that "science" can never be the absolute truth, but, at best, our version of the truth.

For me, one strong "evidence" of the existence of an intelligent design, is "consciousness".

Although even the best minds struggle to define "consciousness" it's undeniable that "consciousness" exists.

Now, suppose that all living physical beings suddenly cease to exist, would consciousness be still existing ?

I we can answer to this question, then we could say, imho, that "consciousness" is "God", thus not only existing, but eternal.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Science can't even cure cancer, yet you claim that it has the answer on life the universe and everything.

We know nothing, Jon Snow.

If Hawking was so clever, why didn't he heal himself? Jesus could have.

but he chose not to, just as he refused to answer the prayers of many parents when their children suffered from cancer. Cut this BS.

• Like 1

Food for Thought

There are more historical records regarding the existence of Jesus Christ than the Roman Emperor Julius Caesar, yet no one doubts the latter walked the earth.  

During the decades immediately after Jesus crucifixion — when the New Testament was written and the Gospel was being preached by those who knew him — there would have been ample opportunity to refute the accounts of his resurrection.  This didn't happen.  

Most of Jesus’ 12 original apostles died violent deaths for their faith.  People will die for what they believe to be true, but dying for what they know is a lie is not likely.  Keep in mind, the 12 original apostles witnessed Jesus healing the sick, making the blind see, saw Jesus walking on water, and bringing back the dead, along with seeing Jesus alive after his crucifixion.  

To deny God and Jesus, will be the biggest mistake anyone could ever make in their lifetime.  When I read some of these anti-Christan comments on this site, is makes me wonder why so many would want to spend eternity in Hell.  Heaven or Hell, it's your choice.  

Matthew 10:33 - But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 10:32 - Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree that God can be compared to "everything" (the  physical universe is supposed to be God's creation, so it has a beginning and an end).

I'm saying I'm comparing God to everything which to me implies that God is separate from everything I'm saying God "is" everything.To me suggesting God/Universe has a beginning or end is not possible because my mind just says well let's go a bit further back before the start/beginning and see what's going on there!Hence the God is eternal references in the bible!God/Universe no start no finish.

39 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

But that's obviously not enough to say that God exists in general.

So this argument is flawed imho.

So your suggesting God also exist outside of Skeptic7's mind?So do I and that part of my reasoning had more to do with trying prove that God exists rather than where.My theory is in part derived from the premise that God is everywhere as suggested by many and based on my definition God/Universe is everywhere and doesn't suddenly stop at some undetermined point somewhere, therefore God can't be separated from anything to/or be compared with because God/Universe/Everything is the same thing every atom,spec of dust,

star,galaxy,thought,theory,action,vibration,law every conceivable thing,if it exists it is God/Universe.Agree?

55 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

For me, one strong "evidence" of the existence of an intelligent design, is "consciousness".

Although even the best minds struggle to define "consciousness" it's undeniable that "consciousness" exists.

I have no problem with the possibility of intelligent design the Universe to me is way to big to discount such a possibility.Some intermediate minds have defined "consciousness" in the dictionary and I have little trouble going with those definitions.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

I we can answer to this question, then we could say, imho, that "consciousness" is "God", thus not only existing, but eternal.

Totally agree with this as it fits very nicely into my theory.Especially God is eternal.

e·ter·nal
/əˈtərn(ə)l/
adjective

1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.

I rest my case!
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm saying I'm comparing God to everything which to me implies that God is separate from everything I'm saying God "is" everything.To me suggesting God/Universe has a beginning or end is not possible because my mind just says well let's go a bit further back before the start/beginning and see what's going on there!Hence the God is eternal references in the bible!God/Universe no start no finish.

So your suggesting God also exist outside of Skeptic7's mind?So do I and that part of my reasoning had more to do with trying prove that God exists rather than where.My theory is in part derived from the premise that God is everywhere as suggested by many and based on my definition God/Universe is everywhere and doesn't suddenly stop at some undetermined point somewhere, therefore God can't be separated from anything to/or be compared with because God/Universe/Everything is the same thing every atom,spec of dust,

star,galaxy,thought,theory,action,vibration,law every conceivable thing,if it exists it is God/Universe.Agree?

I have no problem with the possibility of intelligent design the Universe to me is way to big to discount such a possibility.Some intermediate minds have defined "consciousness" in the dictionary and I have little trouble going with those definitions.

Totally agree with this as it fits very nicely into my theory.Especially God is eternal.

e·ter·nal
/əˈtərn(ə)l/
adjective

1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.

I rest my case!

Well, i think that we are pretty much on the same page !

Yet, both me and you get a little lost on semantics, and this i almost impossible to avoid when talking about spiritual subjects.

About God/Universe.. my point was that the Physical Universe, which we are able to see, it's not God, but his creation..Thus, if THIS physical universe (i don't doubt there may be many, similar or not) ceased to exist, God would still exist, being eternal, thus inside and also outside of everything physical.

(when i say "physical" i mean everything which is detectable by our 5 physical senses)

20 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Quite a few Christians believe that the spirit and the mind/soul are seperate, as is the flesh. Which makes humans a three faceted being. Which is also described as a being in the image of God, who is also a being with three facets of identity.

The spirit is our access to the spiritual realm, and the flesh is our access to the physical. The mind or soul is the control center.

The spirit is gentle but wise. Always urging towards the big picture of overall good . The flesh of course is demanding and does not differentiate between good and bad. Only fulfillment of desire

I agree, we can also say that the soul/mind is the intermediate between the physical body and the spirit (God).

When the physical body dies, the soul stays connected with the physical realm for a while, and that's why the main religions suggest having the burial/cremation after 3 days.

That in case of natural death, in other cases the soul might find more difficult to accept the loss of the body and dissolve into the spirit.

Edited by mauGR1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i think that we are pretty much on the same page !

Yet, both me and you get a little lost on semantics, and this i almost impossible to avoid when talking about spiritual subjects.

I think we are on the same page in regards to the existence of God but on separate pages in regards to our definitions of God.You separate God from the Universe where as I do not which to me is not a semantic difference. 

43 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

About God/Universe.. my point was that the Physical Universe, which we are able to see,

I can see but a very small proportion of the known Universe in fact if the Universe is eternal what I can see could not really be considered a proportion,because there are no numbers that go any where near infinity except infinity.

46 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

(when i say "physical" i mean everything which is detectable by our 5 physical senses)

I cannot detect atoms with any of my five senses but apparently they exist and what about neutrons and those other really small things I watch scientist discussing on youtube?What's lurking way out beyond where our instruments cannot see?

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

If you are too lazy to look for evidence of intelligent design by yourself, fair enough.

What makes you think I have not looked? Not only me but many with greater minds than I have, we all found none.

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

If you are too lazy to provide evidence of the non-existence of intelligent design, it's also fair enough.

Just as soon as you provide me with evidence of the non existence of unicorns I will provide you evidence of the non existence of god.

I am not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

We have no theory, You have one. we just fail to believe your theory because you have not provided any evidence to support it.

• Like 1