Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

50 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

If you were so satisfied, you would not be here boasting about you achievements, but, yeah whatever makes you happy :whistling:

Your feigned insolence is...maybe not so feigned. Either way...another redirect. You can't seriously have taken that as boasting. Mistakenly assumed you to be smarter than that. 

To spell it out so any halfwit can comprehend...the point is that the natural universe, which we ALL share...and all the fascinating stuff in it is enough for me (and others). Fulfillment, joy, awe, love, etc without gods or woo or spiritual mumbo jumbo. No additives needed and for whatever reason, that bothers the 3 stooges. 

I'm glad! ????

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Your feigned insolence is...maybe not so feigned. Either way...another redirect. You can't seriously have taken that as boasting. Mistakenly assumed you to be smarter than that. 

To spell it out so any halfwit can comprehend...the point is that the natural universe, which we ALL share...and all the fascinating stuff in it is enough for me (and others). Fulfillment, joy, awe, love, etc without gods or woo or spiritual mumbo jumbo. No additives needed and for whatever reason, that bothers the 3 stooges. 

I'm glad! ????

I'm not feigning anything, i like Jesus, but i'm not a saint.

Thanks for let the world know that you are happy, i am quite sure that somewhere, somebody is clapping his hands :coffee1:

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm not feigning anything, i like Jesus, but i'm not a saint.

Thanks for let the world know that you are happy, i am quite sure that somewhere, somebody is clapping his hands :coffee1:

:clap2:

there you are. but are you happy now ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jastheace said:

:clap2:

there you are. but are you happy now ?

Nope, i make a point never to be too happy, never to be too sad.

It's a cultural thing, perhaps some day i'll tell you more ????

So, do you believe that God exists ?

8 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Classic divert and misdirect. Not playing your silly magical, mystical games. DON'T need them...nor the "spiritual" woo-doo. You obviously need something "else" to complete/satisfy your existence. I don't. Birds, bugs, bees, butterfiies...hammerhead flatworms and hummingbird moths...arachnids and arthopods + my cameras, GF red wine, great vegan food and beer is plenty enough for me.Not enough hours in a day.

So I choose Option 3...our natural world and all it's awesome evolved and (usually) other-than-human creatures! 

LOL what? You haven't posted anything worth diverting from for quite some time.

Silly magical, mystical games? I just asked you a simple question. What would you require, as a hard core atheist, to change your mind? That science would tell you there's is something, or for a personal revelation?
It's not that difficult, is it? After all, it's you who constantly go on about evidence, so....which one is it?

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Nope, i make a point never to be too happy, never to be too sad.

It's a cultural thing, perhaps some day i'll tell you more ????

So, do you believe that God exists ?

I believe there is a tin of soup in my cupboard, I know I can confidently say 'I believe' it is there, as I can see it. I can show you or anyone else it is there and it exists.i I can even invite the 'non-believers' and maybe converting them into believers by allowing them to touch and feel the can. the contents however are for my eyes only. 

I know that will make sense to you, as it's not too deep. about 4 1/5 inches deep.

6 minutes ago, jastheace said:

I believe there is a tin of soup in my cupboard, I know I can confidently say 'I believe' it is there, as I can see it. I can show you or anyone else it is there and it exists.i I can even invite the 'non-believers' and maybe converting them into believers by allowing them to touch and feel the can. the contents however are for my eyes only. 

I know that will make sense to you, as it's not too deep. about 4 1/5 inches deep.

That's not very deep, i concede that. If it makes sense to you, i am relieved somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Really, people force their beliefs on you? Or perhaps someone shared a view with you that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I have family who is deep in to Jesus and the written bible, and had many discussions with them about their belief, and their statement I will go to hell, as the poster Cmnnightrider pulling out his quotes from the bible as proof. Im an adult, and do have the privelelege to think myself, and trust myself in what is important to me and my closest friends and relatives. I also have friends that i religious, but they never ever try to convince me, and I respect their belief. So easy with some, and so difficult with others, and it provokes me when my stepdaughter coming home from school giving me quotes and fantasy stories, fancy propaganda materials and magazines about jesus, and also treaths what happens if do not accept Jesus. And this from christian teachers, who is not allowed to do so. They can teach about different religions, but do not try to convert them! And they still do, because they follow Jesus and his words. 

Most ideologies have serious impact on people, and religion as we know, is not one of the good for the humanity.  

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That's not very deep, i concede that. If it makes sense to you, i am relieved somehow.

that's great. now I tell you there's soup inside the can, the label says the can contains soup. it makes sense that it is a can of soup, but do you believe there is actually soup inside? without seeing the contents, would you make a wager with me, say 5000 baht (let's just say for example, I am not a gambling person, but I have put money down on certainties), that if I open the can, and it contains soup, you win the 5000 baht.

you see where i'm going with the analogy ?

59 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I followed the exchange thread backwards all the way to the initiating reply pictured below ,and  I don't think he was referring to himself personally. "do horrible mistakes and crimes " referring to forcing beliefs .

image.png.504c0e3aa20267d0513c737782748c61.png

subsequently in the following reply he was forced to clarify  

"I refer to those who claim they know Jesus and god, and force their belief on to other people.  "

Perhaps I missed it , and i don't think I did, but Nowhere did he claim that he was the direct recipient of such "horrible mistakes and crimes "  but I submit to you that we are all indirectly affected.  

Do you think many adults have religion forced on them? In western, formerly Christian nations that is. 

Obviously it happens in other places.

1 minute ago, jastheace said:

that's great. now I tell you there's soup inside the can, the label says the can contains soup. it makes sense that it is a can of soup, but do you believe there is actually soup inside? without seeing the contents, would you make a wager with me, say 5000 baht (let's just say for example, I am not a gambling person, but I have put money down on certainties), that if I open the can, and it contains soup, you win the 5000 baht.

you see where i'm going with the analogy ?

I hate canned food, but i can make a fantastic pumpkin soup.

Have you got another analogy ?

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have family who is deep in to Jesus and the written bible, and had many discussions with them about their belief, and their statement I will go to hell, as the poster Cmnnightrider pulling out his quotes from the bible as proof. Im an adult, and do have the privelelege to think myself, and trust myself in what is important to me and my closest friends and relatives. I also have friends that i religious, but they never ever try to convince me, and I respect their belief. So easy with some, and so difficult with others, and it provokes me when my stepdaughter coming home from school giving me quotes and fantasy stories, fancy propaganda materials and magazines about jesus, and also treaths what happens if do not accept Jesus. And this from christian teachers, who is not allowed to do so. They can teach about different religions, but do not try to convert them! And they still do, because they follow Jesus and his words. 

Most ideologies have serious impact on people, and religion as we know, is not one of the good for the humanity.  

We know that do we?

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I hate canned food, but i can make a fantastic pumpkin soup.

Have you got another analogy ?

I hadn't finished with that one. hence 'you see where i'm going'. 

but for sake of sanity, I will leave it there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Really, people force their beliefs on you? Or perhaps someone shared a view with you that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Beliefs (religious and others) are indeed FORCED - on children, that at best need a lengthy period of time to ditch them.

The expression "child abuse" comes to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Do you think many adults have religion forced on them? In western, formerly Christian nations that is. 

Obviously it happens in other places.

There are direct and indirect cultural influences.not as much in the west in recent years but still case and point same sex mariedge and abortion issues. 

How many atheist politicians are in the US Congress. I think zero.

I have met many of these people , they are educated intelligent people, most of them lawyers , do you really think such an educated body of people contains no Atheists? or would you conclude that they are compromising their personal beliefs do to cultural influences. and this compromise their politics which in turn compromise our daily lives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lewis711 said:

Buddhism believed that we ourselves is the god. When we cling on desire, we are an un-enlighten god, once we learn to let go and that transform us into an enlighten being, which people call god.     

Jesus gives everyone who believe in him the light and right to enlighten others. All of them become powerful because of their belief and need others to follow them. If not, read Cmnightriders posts what happens. 

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Jesus gives everyone who believe in him the light and right to enlighten others. All of them become powerful because of their belief and need others to follow them. If not, read Cmnightriders posts what happens. 

Was there not some dispute between catholics and various protestants about what your god exactly said and wanted?

To which sect do you belong?

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

LOL what? You haven't posted anything worth diverting from for quite some time.

Silly magical, mystical games? I just asked you a simple question. What would you require, as a hard core atheist, to change your mind? That science would tell you there's is something, or for a personal revelation?
It's not that difficult, is it? After all, it's you who constantly go on about evidence, so....which one is it?

Different answers for different hypotheticals and cover most bases. Don't have a clue what Spirit means and don't recall a sufficient explanation, but I'll induldge you and play loosely along.

I don't know what that evidence could possibly be, but if hypothetical "force" is a conscious entity then IT should surely know and provide it.

A concensus in the science community around the globe would be intriguing and interesting and possibly something in which to look further IF there were truly worthwhile benefits which could be demonstrated with a success rate much greater than chance. 

Personal experience, while surely powerful to the one involved, is not credible IMO. The brain is an amazing organ and capable of all sorts of fascinating feats, as well as delusions and hallucinations, feelings, etc and humans have selective and unreliable memories. My own personal experience would be insufficient and immaterial unless it could be channeled and repeated for some obvious benefit and good to show the world at will. Otherwise it's just a crazy claim by a wooster.

REMEMBER...indulging your little thought experiment to see where you're going with this. There is no credible evidence of anything supernatural ever and I firmly stand by that. Just because I played along doesn't mean I'm on board or even considerin, so please don't go there. 

40 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Was there not some dispute between catholics and various protestants about what your god exactly said and wanted?

To which sect do you belong?

Secular sexuality

"Sex and sexuality are natural to all living creatures, but religion takes this and twists it into something awful and to be ashamed of"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Jesus gives everyone who believe in him the light and right to enlighten others.

in the event of an emergency and a drop in cabin pressure, place oxygen mask on yourself first before attempting to help others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

There are direct and indirect cultural influences.not as much in the west in recent years but still case and point same sex mariedge and abortion issues. 

How many atheist politicians are in the US Congress. I think zero.

I have met many of these people , they are educated intelligent people, most of them lawyers , do you really think such an educated body of people contains no Atheists? or would you conclude that they are compromising their personal beliefs do to cultural influences. and this compromise their politics which in turn compromise our daily lives. 

Your example group is and has always been the most hypocritical and spineless of all human society.

The people that make a career out of attaining power are usually the people least appropriate to have it.

The reason there are debates about about marriage and abortion, is because these are major cultural issues, and one would be an ethical issue, even if religion was entirely removed from the equation. And this would be true in any culture prior to the late 20th century. Just because you fall on one side of the debate, that doesn't make the other side of the debate an a oppressive force.

And those two issues have for the most part been won by the anti-theists so the claim of having religion forced on someone is not well illustrated there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Beliefs (religious and others) are indeed FORCED - on children, that at best need a lengthy period of time to ditch them.

The expression "child abuse" comes to mind.

I am certain that every active parent, intentionally or otherwise, has a great amount of influence on their children in the areas they feel are critical knowledge. Only the most uninvolved and apathetic parent would could escape instilling their own values to a child. At least temporarily.

And I was not intending to speak of children, but about the adult experience. Children have education forced upon them as well. We do not usually consider it oppressive. Even though it can be, depending on your view.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Your example group is and has always been the most hypocritical and spineless of all human society.

The people that make a career out of attaining power are usually the people least appropriate to have it.

They might be all that and more.But they do reflect the state of social norms.Which is why I used them as an example.

23 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

The reason there are debates about about marriage and abortion, is because these are major cultural issues, and one would be an ethical issue, even if religion was entirely removed from the equation.

To claim that religion does not play a BIG part in this debate is laughable. 

24 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

ust because you fall on one side of the debate, that doesn't make the other side of the debate an a oppressive force.

It does if instead of just living by one's beliefs,  One tries to also impose them on others.