Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

It's like "love". Something that can't be proven, but most believe it exists.

2,000 years ago they wouldn't have believed that the internet could exist- two people communicating thousands of miles apart without so much as a wire in view- must be a mad idea.

2,000 years from now ( if humans haven't polluted themselves to extinction ) fairies and pixies may be a common sight, along with virtual tours of Sirius.

4500 years ago they built the great pyramid of Giza, I believe they where able to imagine and aim high than any science fiction story we have today. Incredible things they invented back then, and incredible faith in gods and mystics it must have been. 

And there is no way you can dismiss established religions for your own belief in god, gods or higher power. We are all formed in some way in religious thinking. 

Troll comment removed.

It has been said from time to time throughout this topic, so once more.....

DO NOT make fun or ridicule others religion or beliefs. Discuss it of course, but dont get personal in remarks or belittle others in doing so.

Any such Troll activity will be dealt with harshly.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 7:45 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

It's like "love". Something that can't be proven, but most believe it exists.

i don't think the two examples are the same at all. but anyway.

If we both,  were in a bar in soi 6,  girl on each side of us, all drinking away good times are here and all that.

The front door opens and what appears to be a human being of restrictive growth walks in with a Donald Trump hat on, he jumps up on the bar and announces his a pixie.

would you believe him ? if so why ?

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

i don't think the two examples are the same at all. but anyway.

If we both,  were in a bar in soi 6,  girl on each side of us, all drinking away good times are here and all that.

The front door opens and what appears to be a human being of restrictive growth walks in with a Donald Trump hat on, he jumps up on the bar and announces his a pixie.

would you believe him ? if so why ?

You seem to believe that anyone with a different perspective on life must have some kind of discernment deficit. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Next thing you going to tell us that you can only be horny if you believe in god. Believe me, you don't have to believe. Just do it. ???? 

Being horny is a part of the human condition, like having some opinions, or telling silly jokes, it's part of an intelligent design for those who can accept it, or part of a random "evolution" for the narrow minds, who think humans are the masters of a universe whose immensity we can't even imagine.

Evolution is not random, it's also part of an intelligent design, or God, or the spirit.

Your understandable hatred for organized religion and bigotry should not cloud your logical thinking process.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Evolution is not random, it's also part of an intelligent design, or God, or the spirit.

Your understandable hatred for organized religion and bigotry should not cloud your logical thinking process.

You believe in intelligent design and you doubt my logical thinking process. Yeah, sure.

No more questions you honor.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

narrow minds, who think humans are the masters of a universe

"Narrow minds" is a relative concept.

Could as well be used by some "extra broad ranging minds"

( for who everything is possible, for example, from pixies to parallel-universe, and beyond...)  to designate  " broad ranging minds

( who "only" believe in an intelligent design/god/God/creator...). 

On 11/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, ivor bigun said:

so which son did he send ,The Jewish one who is still to come ,Jesus ,who it took a long time for the CHRISTIANS to decide was the "actual" one or Mo who the Muslims think is the real prophet?

decisions decisions,

Sorry, thanks for the thread, but in future I won't be responding to any posts taking the ............

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

"Narrow minds" is a relative concept.

Could as well be used by some "extra broad ranging minds"

( for who everything is possible, for example, from pixies to parallel-universe, and beyond...)  to designate  " broad ranging minds

( who "only" believe in an intelligent design/god/God/creator...). 

I believe that everything is possible, hope that this doesn't disturb you ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

No it doesn't.

You are not claiming that your belief is the only truth.

I thought that it was clear, and sorry for any misunderstanding.

It may happen that I say something true, but I would never claim that s the only truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even though I consider myself an atheist (in the sense of having a 'lack of belief, rather than a 'belief in the lack of'), I understand how some people, in fact many people, world-wide, need that belief in an all-powerful, all-loving, Creator God, with whom they imagine they can connect in some way. I understand, or at least can appreciate, how such a belief can give people a purpose and meaning in life.

Over the years I've had a number of conversations with proselytizing Jehovah Witness guys. I enjoyed poking holes in their flawed arguments. An example was a claim that even Albert Einstein believed in God. I explained that Einstein's concept of God was very different from theirs. Einstein did not believe in a God who communicated with humans or could influence humans through prayers and so on. Einstein's concept of God was more like an Intelligent Designer who created the universe using Laws of Physics which Einstein's mission in life was to understand.

One particular comment from a Jehovah Witness guy who approached me in a park one day, has stuck in my mind. After explaining to him how nonsensical it was to imagine that a mere human could communicate with and accurately describe an entity which had created the entire universe and all forms of life, he replied, if he were to lose his faith in God, he would not know what to do. He would lose all meaning in life. The conversation ended, and I felt rather sorry for the guy and a bit guilty for banging on with my rational argument.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

The Laryngeal nerve in Giraffes is evidence of evolution without intelligent design. The nerve travels 4.6 metres down the giraffes neck to then wrap around an artery, and back up the neck to the brain. I don't think that's intelligent design do you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_laryngeal_nerve#:~:text=The extreme detour of the,as opposed to Intelligent Design.&text=Natural selection gradually lengthened the,the circuitous route now observed. 

6 hours ago, Elad said:

The Laryngeal nerve in Giraffes is evidence of evolution without intelligent design. The nerve travels 4.6 metres down the giraffes neck to then wrap around an artery, and back up the neck to the brain. I don't think that's intelligent design do you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_laryngeal_nerve#:~:text=The extreme detour of the,as opposed to Intelligent Design.&text=Natural selection gradually lengthened the,the circuitous route now observed. 

Interesting observation, thanks for posting that.

Of course even apparent mistakes are part of the intelligent design.

The story of Lucifer, the fallen angel, is a typical example.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elad said:

Many examples of 'unnecessary' physical features that later proved to have a useful function after all. 

Imo it is somewhat arrogant to presume that the current science status knows 'better' than nature's intelligent design.  More relevant in current times and taking this one step further I daresay that our immune system with its multi-layered protection barriers, when not challenged by unhealthy lifestyle and pollution, will do a far better job than the Sorcerer's Apprentice 'only solution'...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Even though I consider myself an atheist (in the sense of having a 'lack of belief, rather than a 'belief in the lack of'), I understand how some people, in fact many people, world-wide, need that belief in an all-powerful, all-loving, Creator God, with whom they imagine they can connect in some way. I understand, or at least can appreciate, how such a belief can give people a purpose and meaning in life.

Over the years I've had a number of conversations with proselytizing Jehovah Witness guys. I enjoyed poking holes in their flawed arguments. An example was a claim that even Albert Einstein believed in God. I explained that Einstein's concept of God was very different from theirs. Einstein did not believe in a God who communicated with humans or could influence humans through prayers and so on. Einstein's concept of God was more like an Intelligent Designer who created the universe using Laws of Physics which Einstein's mission in life was to understand.

One particular comment from a Jehovah Witness guy who approached me in a park one day, has stuck in my mind. After explaining to him how nonsensical it was to imagine that a mere human could communicate with and accurately describe an entity which had created the entire universe and all forms of life, he replied, if he were to lose his faith in God, he would not know what to do. He would lose all meaning in life. The conversation ended, and I felt rather sorry for the guy and a bit guilty for banging on with my rational argument.

If one believes in God the almighty, the creator of life the universe and everything, it is not fanciful to believe that one can communicate with God, particularly if, as I do, one believes that everything in the universe is part of God. No more difficult that it is for my big toe to communicate to me that it's not a good idea to kick the wall with no shoes on.

The J W guy seemed somewhat ambivalent. If he really believed, you would not have managed to extract such a confession from him. IMO most that profess to believe are not altogether convinced, as they are not particularly mindful of the creator outside a church. The biggest example of religious ambivalence, IMO, is when couples marry and promise to stay faithful to each other till death does part. Obviously many take zero notice of their promise.

I'm with Einstein on it.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, Tagged said:

4500 years ago they built the great pyramid of Giza, I believe they where able to imagine and aim high than any science fiction story we have today. Incredible things they invented back then, and incredible faith in gods and mystics it must have been. 

And there is no way you can dismiss established religions for your own belief in god, gods or higher power. We are all formed in some way in religious thinking. 

Interestingly, I've been crucified for trying to pass the same concept, which is not necessarily an absolute truth, but a fact in human social evolution.

Perhaps it was fun to live in bands or tribes, nomadic lifestyle, killing animals with stick and stones and not be bothered by politics. And religion... But now we are here, thanks also to the religion, and there's no way back, well, at least until the next asteroids hit ????

14 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Interestingly, I've been crucified for trying to pass the same concept, which is not necessarily an absolute truth, but a fact in human social evolution.

Perhaps it was fun to live in bands or tribes, nomadic lifestyle, killing animals with stick and stones and not be bothered by politics. And religion... But now we are here, thanks also to the religion, and there's no way back, well, at least until the next asteroids hit ????

You know what I am thinking of free will ???? ?

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The article quotes > The extreme detour of the recurrent laryngeal nerves, about 4.6 metres (15 ft) in the case of giraffes,[26]:74–75 is cited as evidence of evolution, as opposed to Intelligent Design. The nerve's route would have been direct in the fish-like ancestors of modern tetrapods, traveling from the brain, past the heart, to the gills (as it does in modern fish). Over the course of evolution, as the neck extended and the heart became lower in the body, the laryngeal nerve was caught on the wrong side of the heart. Natural selection gradually lengthened the nerve by tiny increments to accommodate, resulting in the circuitous route now observed.

Polar thinking!  Intelligent design - at least in my book - does not deny evolution.  I would say on the contrary that intelligent design NEEDS evolution to make it happen.

I'd say that evolution is PART of intelligent design.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd say that evolution is PART of intelligent design.

Agree, and surely we're still far away from understanding every detail of it and how it works.

We are not even sure what is the purpose, and if there's a purpose.

1 minute ago, Bluedan said:

There isn't single shred of evidence that god exists

so no I don't believe 

when and if there is evidence I'm happy to reconsider 

There isn't single shred of evidence that "love" exists

so no I don't believe in love

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There isn't single shred of evidence that "love" exists

so no I don't believe in love

I disagree there is evidence of human feelings 

not the same for god

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluedan said:

I said "evidence" 

evidence and proof are  different things 

I am of course referring to romantic love, not mother love or love of country etc.

No evidence for "love". It's only what some person says, but no way to prove it.

People often say they are in love when in fact they are in lust. Plenty of evidence for lust.