Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

On 4/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, mauGR1 said:

So, it can't be said that Buddha denied the existence of God,  it can only be said that, apparently, he didn't like to talk about it.

Given the confusion on this thread about the difference between religion and faith, he was wise not to do so.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, VincentRJ said:

Of course the Buddha didn't deny the existence of God. However, he did mention why he didn't talk about it, as stated in my above quotes. It wasn't relevant to his teachings about how to achieve peace, calm and bliss. In other words, he understood, or believed, or thought, that the existence of a Creator God was an 'unknowable', so don't waste your time on it.

Um, I thought he was laying out the pathway to reach Nirvana ie God, not to lala land where everyone is high, even if he didn't say that in full.

I believe that I said "God is unknowable" in a post not too long ago.

I believe in God, and I don't presume to know what God is, but a lot of posters apparently think God is something defined by religions, which I entirely reject. Whatever God IS, God is not, IMO, an old bearded man sitting on a throne up in the sky, giving judgement on human souls.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 5:24 PM, xylophone said:

Is God willing to prevent Evil, but not able?

Then he is not omnipotent.

Is God able, but not willing?

Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?

Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?

Then why call him God?

IMO you assume that the creator of life the universe and everything ( NB the concept of everything ) is concerned with such concepts.

I've used the ant farm example before, but to repeat, does a human child with an ant farm care about the individual ants?

Ever heard of Ying and Yang; two sides of the same coin etc?

BTW, without hardship, humans would never have advanced, as life in paradise would remove any incentive to strive for better- can't get better than paradise.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:32 PM, VincentRJ said:

Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them."

Thanks for presenting the reason as to how I know that God IS.

18 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

When Einstein gave lectures at U.S. universities, the recurring question that students asked him most was:

- Do you believe in God?

And he always answered:

- I believe in the God of Spinoza.

Baruch de Spinoza was a Dutch philosopher considered one of the great rationalists of 17th century philosophy, along with Descartes.

(Spinoza) : God would say:

Stop praying.

What I want you to do is go out into the world and enjoy your life. I want you to sing, have fun and enjoy everything I've made for you.

Stop going into those dark, cold temples that you built yourself and saying they are my house. My house is in the mountains, in the woods, rivers, lakes, beaches. That's where I live and there I express my love for you.

Stop blaming me for your miserable life; I never told you there was anything wrong with you or that you were a sinner, or that your sexuality was a bad thing. Sex is a gift I have given you and with which you can express your love, your ecstasy, your joy. So don't blame me for everything they made you believe.

Stop reading alleged sacred scriptures that have nothing to do with me. If you can't read me in a sunrise, in a landscape, in the look of your friends, in your son's eyes... you will find me in no book!

Stop asking me "will you tell me how to do my job?" Stop being so scared of me. I do not judge you or criticize you, nor get angry, or bothered. I am pure love.

Stop asking for forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you... I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies... free will. How can I blame you if you respond to something I put in you? How can I punish you for being the way you are, if I'm the one who made you? Do you think I could create a place to burn all my children who behave badly for the rest of eternity? What kind of god would do that?

Respect your peers and don't do what you don't want for yourself. All I ask is that you pay attention in your life, that alertness is your guide.

My beloved, this life is not a test, not a step on the way, not a rehearsal, nor a prelude to paradise. This life is the only thing here and now and it is all you need.

I have set you absolutely free, no prizes or punishments, no sins or virtues, no one carries a marker, no one keeps a record.

You are absolutely free to create in your life. Heaven or hell.

I can't tell you if there's anything after this life but I can give you a tip. Live as if there is not. As if this is your only chance to enjoy, to love, to exist.

So, if there's nothing after, then you will have enjoyed the opportunity I gave you. And if there is, rest assured that I won't ask if you behaved right or wrong, I'll ask. Did you like it? Did you have fun? What did you enjoy the most? What did you learn?...

Stop believing in me; believing is assuming, guessing, imagining. I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to believe in you. I want you to feel me in you when you kiss your beloved, when you tuck in your little girl, when you caress your dog, when you bathe in the sea.

Stop praising me, what kind of egomaniac God do you think I am?

I'm bored being praised. I'm tired of being thanked. Feeling grateful? Prove it by taking care of yourself, your health, your relationships, the world. Express your joy! That's the way to praise me.

Stop complicating things and repeating as a parakeet what you've been taught about me.

What do you need more miracles for? So many explanations?

The only thing for sure is that you are here, that you are alive, that this world is full of wonders.

- Spinoza

That was indeed one of the best things I've read in quite some time. ????????????

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If you can't read me in a sunrise, in a landscape,

Since I stopped being closed to God I see God in every sunset, every landscape not ruined by humans, every raindrop, the ocean on a clear day.

God is in every natural thing, if one chooses to see.

35 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

When Einstein gave lectures at U.S. universities, the recurring question that students asked him most was:

- Do you believe in God?

And he always answered:

Baruch de Spinoza was a Dutch philosopher considered one of the great rationalists of 17th century philosophy, along with Descartes.

Stop praying.

What I want you to do is go out into the world and enjoy your life. I want you to sing, have fun and enjoy everything I've made for you.

Stop going into those dark, cold temples that you built yourself and saying they are my house. My house is in the mountains, in the woods, rivers, lakes, beaches. That's where I live and there I express my love for you.

Stop blaming me for your miserable life; I never told you there was anything wrong with you or that you were a sinner, or that your sexuality was a bad thing. Sex is a gift I have given you and with which you can express your love, your ecstasy, your joy. So don't blame me for everything they made you believe.

Stop reading alleged sacred scriptures that have nothing to do with me. If you can't read me in a sunrise, in a landscape, in the look of your friends, in your son's eyes... you will find me in no book!

Stop asking me "will you tell me how to do my job?" Stop being so scared of me. I do not judge you or criticize you, nor get angry, or bothered. I am pure love.

Stop asking for forgiveness, there's nothing to forgive. If I made you... I filled you with passions, limitations, pleasures, feelings, needs, inconsistencies... free will. How can I blame you if you respond to something I put in you? How can I punish you for being the way you are, if I'm the one who made you? Do you think I could create a place to burn all my children who behave badly for the rest of eternity? What kind of god would do that?

Respect your peers and don't do what you don't want for yourself. All I ask is that you pay attention in your life, that alertness is your guide.

My beloved, this life is not a test, not a step on the way, not a rehearsal, nor a prelude to paradise. This life is the only thing here and now and it is all you need.

I have set you absolutely free, no prizes or punishments, no sins or virtues, no one carries a marker, no one keeps a record.

I can't tell you if there's anything after this life but I can give you a tip. Live as if there is not. As if this is your only chance to enjoy, to love, to exist.

So, if there's nothing after, then you will have enjoyed the opportunity I gave you. And if there is, rest assured that I won't ask if you behaved right or wrong, I'll ask. Did you like it? Did you have fun? What did you enjoy the most? What did you learn?...

Stop believing in me; believing is assuming, guessing, imagining. I don't want you to believe in me, I want you to believe in you. I want you to feel me in you when you kiss your beloved, when you tuck in your little girl, when you caress your dog, when you bathe in the sea.

I'm bored being praised. I'm tired of being thanked. Feeling grateful? Prove it by taking care of yourself, your health, your relationships, the world. Express your joy! That's the way to praise me.

Stop complicating things and repeating as a parakeet what you've been taught about me.

The only thing for sure is that you are here, that you are alive, that this world is full of wonders.

- Spinoza

Spinoza was a enlightenend man of respect! Amen

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

- Do you believe in God?

And he always answered:

Stop praying.

- Spinoza

Spinoza's god, as attractive as it may seem, is kind of a new age hedonist god  who does not judge and basically let's people be.

It is good idea from the point of view of living your life for the now. My only issue with it is that it assumes that in living that way people won't do evil .. or assumes that god doesn't care .

There is no moral commitments to be made. Murder? He doesn't say it's good but it's up to you. ...no judgement or punishment. 

I concur there are some excellent points about life, and existing religions, within those comments, but I think it is better to believe in no god at all,  than a hippy god or hasn't thought things through.

Unless you believe that human evil comes only from the restraints on human nature that current religions place upon it, if there is a god, I prefer it has an opinion and a judgement on doing good things as against doing bad. 

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I prefer it has an opinion and a judgement on doing good things as against doing bad. 

You are humanizing "God" and giving human traits (judgement, opinions) to something that is beyond our imagination. 

Good and bad are your interpretation of "what is". If a lion kills a gazelle, from our point of view it's good for the lion and not so good for the gazelle. Should God prevent it from happening because we feel sorry for the gazelle? Should God favor one animal over another? Who is judging? Him or us?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Spinoza's god, as attractive as it may seem, is kind of a new age hedonist god  who does not judge and basically let's people be.

It is good idea from the point of view of living your life for the now. My only issue with it is that it assumes that in living that way people won't do evil .. or assumes that god doesn't care .

There is no moral commitments to be made. Murder? He doesn't say it's good but it's up to you. ...no judgement or punishment. 

I concur there are some excellent points about life, and existing religions, within those comments, but I think it is better to believe in no god at all,  than a hippy god or hasn't thought things through.

Unless you believe that human evil comes only from the restraints on human nature that current religions place upon it, if there is a god, I prefer it has an opinion and a judgement on doing good things as against doing bad. 

Well, here's a quote attributed to Spinoza himself: "no matter how thin you slice it,  there will always be 2 sides".

..So you are right in criticize Spinoza 's God,  as he was right in criticizing the established religion's God ....

I agree that there must be a moral side to God, in fact I consider our desire to be "good" a proof of the existence of God. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

You are humanizing "God" and giving human traits (judgement, opinions) to something that is beyond our imagination. 

Good and bad are your interpretation of "what is". If a lion kills a gazelle, from our point of view it's good for the lion and not so good for the gazelle. Should God prevent it from happening because we feel sorry for the gazelle? Should God favor one animal over another? Who is judging? Him or us?

I take your point. I suppose it depends on whether you consider that with the additional intelligence, and awareness of free will, that might come with some responsibility. If Hitler dies and god asks him 'Did you like it? What did you think of that waterfall?' I might think it's a bit of a crappy god. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Um, I thought he was laying out the pathway to reach Nirvana ie God, not to lala land where everyone is high, even if he didn't say that in full.

I don't know where you get the idea that Nirvana is some type of God, or equivalent to a God. As I've mentioned before, Buddha did not teach about the existence of any Creator God or a permanent soul.

The following site addresses these issues.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/nirvana-2/

"Nirvana literally means “quenching” or “blowing out,” in the way that the flame of a candle is blown out."

"What is extinguished, in fact, is the triple fire of greed, hatred, and delusion which leads to rebirth. Indeed, the simplest definition of nirvana-in-this-life is “the end of greed, hatred, and delusion”

"Nirvana is a transformed state of personality characterized by peace, deep spiritual joy, compassion, and a refined and subtle awareness." 

"When the flame of craving is extinguished, rebirth ceases, and an enlightened person is not reborn. So what has happened to him?" 

"The Buddha said that asking about the whereabouts of “an enlightened one” after death is like asking where a flame goes when blown out."

Edited by VincentRJ
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

I don't know where you get the idea that Nirvana is some type of God, or equivalent to a God. As I've mentioned before, Buddha did not teach about the existence of any Creator God or a permanent soul.

The following site addresses these issues.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/nirvana-2/

"Nirvana literally means “quenching” or “blowing out,” in the way that the flame of a candle is blown out."

"What is extinguished, in fact, is the triple fire of greed, hatred, and delusion which leads to rebirth. Indeed, the simplest definition of nirvana-in-this-life is “the end of greed, hatred, and delusion”

"Nirvana is a transformed state of personality characterized by peace, deep spiritual joy, compassion, and a refined and subtle awareness." 

"When the flame of craving is extinguished, rebirth ceases, and an enlightened person is not reborn. So what has happened to him?" 

"The Buddha said that asking about the whereabouts of “an enlightened one” after death is like asking where a flame goes when blown out."

If we wouldn't know better, one could think you've jumped the atheist ship and joined the spiritual Starfleet. ????
Welcome aboard sailor!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

With an evolutionary arms race between predator and prey, does God enjoy the thrill of the chase? 

20 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Good people don't do evil deeds.

Anyway, being "good" because of penalty is not being good through choice, which is the only real criteria of being a "good" person, IMO.

if there is a god, I prefer it has an opinion and a judgement on doing good things as against doing bad. 

You want a God that is like humans?

IMO, if God had human emotions God would have exterminated the human race long ago. We have been appallingly bad at looking after the planet, and we like killing each other far too much.

15 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

That would pretty much be how I would expect being with God to be. So Nirvana= being with ( or a part of ) God IMO.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I take your point. I suppose it depends on whether you consider that with the additional intelligence, and awareness of free will, that might come with some responsibility. If Hitler dies and god asks him 'Did you like it? What did you think of that waterfall?' I might think it's a bit of a crappy god. 

You think God needs to ask us how we feel? The God I expect to join after I die would know everything about me and my life on this side without using words, which are a primitive means of communication by primitive animals known as the human race on planet earth.

If you think we are not primitive, just watch the news sometime.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

God created the universe and science tells us that black holes consume everything around them, ergo, God made black holes that can consume solar systems.

God is love

Love is blind

Stevie Wonder is blind

Stevie Wonder must be God.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

God created the universe and science tells us that black holes consume everything around them, ergo, God made black holes that can consume solar systems.

I aggree, nature have the power to destroy us, but even nature have to follow rules and laws the nature created. Nature do not have free will to do what it want. So the god you talking about do not have free will to do what he want when he want. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You think God needs to ask us how we feel? The God I expect to join after I die would know everything about me and my life on this side without using words, which are a primitive means of communication by primitive animals known as the human race on planet earth.

If you think we are not primitive, just watch the news sometime.

I was referring to the post on Spinoza where god asks 'Did you like it'. I  thought what Spinoza said was really interesting especially since he had been born in the 1600's.  

The comment was playing Devil's advocate on the post and had not been a comment on Spinoza in general. He wrote a book called Ethics so he is assumed to have an opinion on ethical behaviour and god. 

He seems to believe God is nature. I studied Descartes at University but  Spinoza rejected his ideas - would have been a good duo to study together. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy