Who pays When Your Deported ?

1 hour ago, Scutty said:

Who pays for the flight when one is removed from the country by immigration

It can vary - you, your family and friends, strangers on go-fund me, the airline, or Immigration (don't expect another visa until the bill is paid).

Expect difficulties with future visas for other countries as many have policies against deportees entering their boundaries.

• Like 1

Indeed they will be held until someone coming up with the funds. Not the embassies (only the US embassy are handing out loans as far as I know), but either the inmate himself or friends, arranged through the embassies if necessary.

Longest overstayer during my time there, had been locked up for 14 years, a korean guy. Several with more than 5 years.

Without access to internet or phone, one might have a problem contacting anyone. The embassy guy/gal usually shows up in a few days, but in my case that took 9 days. I kid you not.

Funny post about cannibals, but if you get through the first fine before a judge, and the following 3-6000 bath payment, you will end up in a room of mainly overstayers. 

Even if those brits may seem as cannibals, I think they are okey enough ????

people in glass houses eh ? someone who is months overstay - late , complaining about a government official who is a few days late . nice . I personally have been shown nothing but kindness and good service always free from the Thai authorities .

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Airlines from your own country must take you, they cannot refuse.

They can refuse if you are too sick to fly.  Then IDC can then become the place you die of neglect, medical and otherwise.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:10 AM, thaibreaker said:

had been locked up for 14 years

Wondering the ban starts at locking in the IDC (is it international ground or thai soil?) or when you effectively left the Thai space/arriving at the country of deportee.

Normal you left Thai 'space' after the border at the airport, eg. the stamp in your passport says you left on that moment.

Seems Thailand creates self-inflicted costs and image wounds by not deporting IDC detainees who can't pay after X-amount of time like say 1 year.....some sufficiently long enough time to ensure the detainee will definitely try to round-up the required funds if at all possible as year in 3rd world detention should convince most anyone to come up with the money if at all possible. 

Then again, if they are just going to be shipped back to their 3rd world country which is no better or worst than detention in Thailand then maybe some would just rather set in Thai jail hoping for a get-out-of-jail-free card.   And I'm sure there are some who would rather rot in a Thai jail than go back to their home country....that's where Thailand really starts self-inflicting wounds by not shipping them out.

There are always going to be people who simply can't pay....no funds....no family...no friends....no home country embassy support....etc.  A life sentence in IDC because a person is destitute for funds just isn't right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

IDC

40 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

IDC

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

IDC

Wiki "Klong Prem Central Prison": As of 2002 the men's section held 1,158 foreigners from 56 countries out of a total of 7,218 prisoners. It is a part of the Thai Department of Corrections.

TDC

Department of Corrections

DOC

If I do a search on IDC, I get results as Datacenters and Foods.

A further search I indeed do see results with the immigrations.

Is it just a term, generated by the public, instead of being a real abbrevication of names?

Or was it originaly the callname of the 'cells', for which you had to pay for, on the airports, where detainees are held untill departure?

Rgds,

On 4/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, Old Croc said:

It can vary - you, your family and friends, strangers on go-fund me, the airline, or Immigration (don't expect another visa until the bill is paid).

Expect difficulties with future visas for other countries as many have policies against deportees entering their boundaries.

Thai immigration pay, are you sure about that? I very much doubt it.

45 minutes ago, donim said:

Is the airplane carrier more willingfull to give a ticket, not paid for, when the deportee has an return ticket with that airplane carrier versus an (used) one-way ticket?

Very doubtful any airline would do that.

I know with a little experience (Brit) I have had that the Embassy can pay and someone stands as a guarantor in the UK. Effectively a loan. They also take your passport off you until the bill is paid. Not sure if this is still the case though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/10820465/Down-and-out-abroad-There-are-places-to-turn.html

I am not a big fan of the Telegraph but a well put and quite an apt comment in this article and can be used frequently in my opinion on the TVF.

"As children of "nanny" states, Western tourists often instinctively turn to their governments for help"

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Try Immigration Detention Center.

:thumbsup:

I was always thinking about that one in jatuchack or on the ngamwongwan.

And to make the confusion bigger, I didn't think of 'Detention' but  'Depature' and 'Deportage' instead ????

But IDC is a prision located in Sathon.

No futher information is online, no wiki or anything public. Only some news reports.

Edited by donim

12 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Maybe you should have actually read the article. He didn't die in IDC and he didn't die from neglect.

Wiki, the article: 

" He died on 6 August 2006 of massive organ failure a few days after being imprisoned in Klong Prem Central Prison in Bangkok on charges of suspicion of illegally altering a visa " 

A report, not on the wiki but you can find the link in the footer of the wiki page

" he died earlier this month at the hospital unit of the squalid Klongprem Central Prison in Thailand. "

This prision houses the TDC, Thai Department of Corrections.
The IDC is somewhere else.

Edited by donim