Poll: Retired Expats in Thailand -- in light of visa changes would you recommend Thailand to new retired expats?

Jingthing

Recommend or not?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:24 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Of course. The only people impacted by the changes are the economically marginal expats who can't afford to be here. Anyone who can afford it, this is still the best place on the planet.

Best Place on the Planet?

Did you grow up dreaming to live in the Best Place on the Planet?

Why not share exactly how/why you ended up in Thailand of all places?

People do not move to Thailand because it is the best place on the planet. Quite the farce!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

"How about reciprocity"

You hit the nail on the head.

I am amazed how many Thai's live in Florida, USA, own their own homes, restaurants, businesses. etc and in Thailand we get nothing.

because it's was a great opportunity for a Thai bank money grab.  do you think for one minute that if the U.S. and other embassies where to offer this to TI that they would resend the current order. the banks than make big noise.  but who knows

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Cost to build home 1/3 to what it cost me in States.

Yes and look exactly what you got?

Any building inspectors that is was built to code? Any licensed plumbers or electricians? 

Thai construction is a joke

I wrote an e-book with photos that followed the daily construction of a Thai house in a gate Moo Ban in the 3 to 4 million baht range.

Absolutely shocking how they build houses in Thailand.

I don't care if they house is 1/100th of cost. You get what you paid for.

Where in the world would they let you get away with building the outer walls with 1/8" brick, rastered over in poor quality cement?

How about building a house right on top of the ground with no foundation footers?

Any insulation? How about all the hot air trapped in the roof of the house?

Another poster blowing hot air out of his rear!

Built 4 houses in Thailand over 16 years .....And their still standing with no cracks in the walls and built to western standards at 1/10 th the cost. As for insulation they all have double walls and 12mm glass

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Best Place on the Planet?

Did you grow up dreaming to live in the Best Place on the Planet?

Why not share exactly how/why you ended up in Thailand of all places?

People do not move to Thailand because it is the best place on the planet. Quite the farce!

Thailand has changed.  simple.  past tense. period. L.A. use to be a good place to live in the 70's.  now it's a hell hole, even if you have a 20mil. place in Malibu.  i know.

Edited by malibukid
  • Sad 1

I am calling you out on it. You are quoting a non-official rag in support of your fictitious "visa changes" headline. Surely that article is fake news written by some lying farang whose embassy has now refused to sign off on his/her false income statement. 

I have no idea what you're referring to. What rag?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

When a lot of expats are trying to survive on 30k a month, 73,000 for one bill is a lot of money.

How much is your insurance premium per month?

Zero.... as I have set aside  $1000 per month for just an emergency. $1000 has been set aside monthly for 14 years So I have approximately $200,000 set aside ($ 168,000 plus earnings on the same)! so the 73,000baht ($2,200) is a drop in the bucket

Edited by beachproperty

Most expats left because of the crash of the pound and Aussie dollar.  To blame it on visa changes is denying reality. 
You are conflating the past with the present and future and also grossly simplifying things. Of course exchange rates are always a part of the picture for better or worse.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VBF said:

Best and most logical post so far  @Thaidream....???? IMO, of course. 

Tying up 800,000 Baht for however long would be annoying and worrying but, in my case, not impossible. What if that increases???

But it's the last paragraph "When a person retires- ......" which is most certainly the thing that has prevented me from making the move, which until a few years ago, I had planned to do. I'm 64 now and well able to ride these storms of uncertainty but in 5, 10 years and likely to be on my own...who knows?

I suspect not to many people are thinking about 5, 10, 20 years from now and just trying to survive

The rules and requirements could change immensely over that time frame.

People ever think what happens is they live to be 90?

Are costs going to rise so much, you will be priced out of even places like Thailand?

• Sad 1

What big lie?  Please don't try and sell the philanthropic stuff.
The big lie is asserting that there haven't been real and significant visa rules changes including the impact on the no embassy letter nationals and the confusion zone that the combo method now inhabits.

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I suspect not to many people are thinking about 5, 10, 20 years from now and just trying to survive

Are costs going to rise so much, you will be priced out of even places like Thailand?

Plenty of 3rd world countries to choose from.

I've already been priced out of the Uk.

52 minutes ago, malibukid said:

not if the U.S. medicare gets in first.  this could be a game changer and a great relief to the American taxpayer.  ideas are being floated for 2020

would the Thai government go for such a scheme?  could be a real money maker,  but not for insurance establishment i suppose.  coming attractions. stay tuned.  i personally have some heavy credit cards and fly back to the States like did last year for surgery.

In my experience the ones complaining the loudest are the ones who were misrepresenting the amount they received from their respective embassies - hoping against hope that the immigration service will become afraid by the uproar they are causing and somehow allow them to continue to misrepresent their retirement income.  
I am complaining very loudly and I have never lied to my embassy. We have seen countless posts over the months from others who have not been cheating as well.

So I think your theory is simply and totally incorrect. Its also insulting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Would you recommend the high cost of international health insurance?

To each his own to decide about this. 

Insurance is not mandatory as per now. 

It may one day, time will tell. 

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am complaining very loudly and I have never lied to my embassy. We have seen countless posts over the months from others who have not been cheating as well.

So I think your theory is simply and totally incorrect. Its also insulting.

as stated.  the problem was that the Embassies where not  willing to follow up with their own in house verification.  this would have weeded out the dishonest chaps.

Edited by malibukid

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Thailand and most of SE Asia are largely controlled by wealthy Chinese who have moved here long ago and have become Thai Chinese, Indo Chinese, Malaysian Chinese and the list goes on... don't be fooled...

Who do you think own all the banks in Thailand?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mike787 said:

AND, wait till you experience an accident on a thai road that decreases your quality of life beyond the financial burden.  Yea, reality sets in when you realize there is little to NO legal or compensatory recourse. See how you feel about the thai wai (pun intended) of justice. 

good point i must say.  yes you have no legal rights here.  try and sue someone for negligence.  the legal system is a joke.  common law rules.  this means no legal verdicts rendered on precedent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Thailand is a nasty vicious dangerous country for white folk, I wouldn't even recommend it for a two week holiday. 

The neighbouring countries are almost all more welcoming and safer these days.

If it weren't for my house and son, I wouldn't be here either.

DEAD ON!!!! At least one person has BIG stones to speak the truth! 

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:
  On 4/22/2019 at 2:24 PM, glegolo said:

As usual you guys needs to have a reality check, most of you it seems. The thread should indicate that you are thinking about expats from the 4 primtive one countries, the ones without income-letters, they are; Denmark, UK, Australia and USA. The rest of ALL OF US as a majority are just fine...... And can look forward to many fine years here in Thailand in the future hopefully......

glegolo

Example of Rose colored glasses, with one exception: the word "hopefully" in the last sentence is free to be interpreted that all may not remain as rosy as it looks.  To be determined...

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You are fine until Thailand levies a health insurance requirement for a visa extension that many will be unable to afford.

People that think they are fine living in a third world country with a sketchy govt are always teeting on the edge of something bad.

One rule change could do a lot of expats in for good.

...and someone with applied common sense, insight, and reasoning skills.  Enjoy the land of smiles.  

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1

Just now, chicowoodduck said:

Once all the dust settles, we shall see....me thinks that they will raise the minimum requirement to a million baht in the bank sooner than later, just for fun...????

Maybe but personally I think the year round seasoning on steroids and 400K lockup will be the limit for now. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, gk10002000 said:

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that only those four countries are the ones that are not doing income letters?  Does that mean Thailand is accepting income letters from many other embassies/countries?  If so, don't you think the Thais will start not accepting those and demanding similar monthly transfers as "proof" of income that they are now mandating? 

It comes down to what is actually driving the less use of income letters?  Is it the Thais not believing the letters, regardless of the country?  If so, how long before all such affirmations are denied?

what an insult.

1 hour ago, tideout said:

Beyond that, there has been a recent (the last month or so) tightening up of rules that pertain to foreigners. Many people wouldn't notice unless they were in process on something with the government. As it pertains to this topic - they're taking a much stricter look at "business" visas. I guess it has become connected to too much funny business or something. In short, you're now more likely to be directed to the regular tourist visa forms with the issues that come with that. As I've mentioned before, there's no retirement visa here. Maybe they'll see the opportunity of offering a retirement visa in the future but in the meantime, you might want to prepare for being a tourist here.

Is that tourist visa you're referring to the type I was thinking of above -- 90 days maximum stay, but more or less indefinitely renewable?   Meaning having to leave Vietnam every 90 days in some fashion?

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

But the OP asked "in light of visa changes would you recommend Thailand to new retired expats?"

If one assumes that retirement is for the rest of one's life, one NEEDS to look 5, 10, 20 years ahead, as far as is humanly possible.

If the situation is not very good now and most changes appear to be making it worse, surely one needs to extrapolate today's situation for that  5, 10, 20 years? 

Obviously there's a lot of guesswork but I prefer to look at the balance of probability when making my decisions rather than just hoping it'll be all right on the day.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, Orton Rd said:

I would no longer recommend Thailand for a holiday never mind retiring here

I have seen so many posts including one yesterday with Thai Visa posters saying they wouldn't recommend Bangkok/Phuket , Thailand for a holiday or for people to retire too. Saying thinks like its overpriced, visa problems, polution, bar girls/taxis/restaurants/condo sellers/wives ripping guys off I ask the question if Thailand is that bad why are you still here? Really , is the only reason you stay is that you have a woman for sex and take care of you but couldn't get one in your own country? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Thailand and most of SE Asia are largely controlled by wealthy Chinese who have moved here long ago and have become Thai Chinese, Indo Chinese, Malaysian Chinese and the list goes on... don't be fooled...

That's right, they've been in Thailand and sea for several hundred years. And now these farlangs come along for cheap beer and hookers feeling entitled and bitching that the Chinese should get out. Why don't you try telling Irish, italian, German, polish etc -americans who only immigrated to the USA around the late 1800's to early 1900's to get the f out back to where they came from. See how well that goes over.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 11:17 PM, Kasane said:

Thailand is a great place to live. 

Cost to build home 1/3 to what it cost me in States. Medical bills are minimal,

........ Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence

Sorry but your post sounds so green to folks who have lived many years in Thailand

Yes Thailand is a great place to live for various reasons

The two you mention here are not valid ones at all.

Build a home 1/3 the cost of the US ?

Are you experienced in home building?

(Then building yourself maybe cheaper if you can direct the labor properly but you will never give the workers skills they don't have)

The homes built in Thailand cannot compare for quality of materials used or build quality of other countries (Europe/USA etc)

If they did then the price would be close or more. Thai builders do dress up a pigs ear nicely though

Not to mention the elephant in the room.

You can build your wife or a Thai a nice house..Because if your an American you will never own the land that house sits on period.

(I assume US citizen as you compare house prices to USA)

Medical Bills? You mean medical tests?

Because yes exams/tests are a great deal in Thailand but when the SHTF :hit-the-fan:

you will see prices match elsewhere in the world quickly + you will possible find prices pumped up because your a falang

or even be told you need procedures done that you never really needed

As for "Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence "

???? Your living under martial law & even if that ends you still need to apply for permission to exist

you need to check in every 90 days, you need to check in within 24 hours anytime you spend the night away from your registered address,

you need to get permission to leave & re-enter country if you don't want to blow your visa.....Freeeedom???

Yes Thailand is a great place to live in spite of all things but really your rose tinted glasses reasons are off just that

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1