Poll: Retired Expats in Thailand -- in light of visa changes would you recommend Thailand to new retired expats?

Jingthing

Recommend or not?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is that tourist visa you're referring to the type I was thinking of above -- 90 days maximum stay, but more or less indefinitely renewable?   Meaning having to leave Vietnam every 90 days in some fashion?

People should note there was a time when you could do that in Thailand. Now you can't.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is that tourist visa you're referring to the type I was thinking of above -- 90 days maximum stay, but more or less indefinitely renewable?   Meaning having to leave Vietnam every 90 days in some fashion?

Yes, my understanding is that you can still get the 90 day visa tourist visa. There have been different variations on this depending on which agent you went through, the price etc.. Also, I believe you'll have to initially get the multi entry visa to have an agent do it for you now. In the past, you could get away with "starting a business" and then just renew 1x/year. They definitely seem to be shifting away from this. I believe they are seeing an incoming "tourist" that is usually associated with Thailand - more Indians, Nigerians etc...There are reasons that are more about internal politics, but I'll pass on commenting on that right now ???? 

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Cost to build home 1/3 to what it cost me in States.

Yes and look exactly what you got?

Any building inspectors that is was built to code? Any licensed plumbers or electricians? 

Thai construction is a joke

I wrote an e-book with photos that followed the daily construction of a Thai house in a gate Moo Ban in the 3 to 4 million baht range.

Absolutely shocking how they build houses in Thailand.

I don't care if they house is 1/100th of cost. You get what you paid for.

Where in the world would they let you get away with building the outer walls with 1/8" brick, rastered over in poor quality cement?

How about building a house right on top of the ground with no foundation footers?

Any insulation? How about all the hot air trapped in the roof of the house?

Hey man, I got my home built. I am happy in it. You have a problem with that? My home has Q-blocks, E-glass, 6" ceiling insulation. footers buried deep underground, built by a company that has 400 units (houses, apartments, etc. delivered). Screw the overpriced, glamorous licensed plumbers, electricians. 

2 hours ago, mania said:

Sorry but your post sounds so green to folks who have lived many years in Thailand

You are so full of it.

Build a home 1/3 the cost of the US ? Yes

Are you experienced in home building? 

(Then building yourself maybe cheaper if you can direct the labor properly but you will never give the workers skills they don't have)

I did not build the house myself. I hired a company that has architects, engineers on board. That has experienced construction crews. Have built more than 400 residential and commercial buildings all over Thailand.

The homes built in Thailand cannot compare for quality of materials used or build quality of other countries (Europe/USA etc)

I call BS to that. Materials used from companies like this. https://www.scgbuildingmaterials.com/th?ct=

If they did then the price would be close or more. Thai builders do dress up a pigs ear nicely though

Stop projecting your experience or bais.

Not to mention the elephant in the room.

You can build your wife or a Thai a nice house..Because if your an American you will never own the land that house sits on period.

(I assume US citizen as you compare house prices to USA)

I have no problem with that. Not sure why that should be your concern. 

Medical Bills? You mean medical tests?

No, I mean medical bills. As in while visiting local hospital for minor ailments, X-rays, etc. 

Because yes exams/tests are a great deal in Thailand but when the SHTF :hit-the-fan:

you will see prices match elsewhere in the world quickly + you will possible find prices pumped up because your a falang

Visits to local hospitals has cost me not more than $20 for seeing the doc, getting x-rays, getting meds, without any insurance. I am sure the same visit in the States would have cost me $400-$500, with insurance cover. SHTF is always hitting the fan where you live, perhaps.

or even be told you need procedures done that you never really needed 

Yeah, it never happens in Western countries where most retirees are just a medical emergency away from bankruptcy.

As for "Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence "

???? Your living under martial law & even if that ends you still need to apply for permission to exist

you need to check in every 90 days, you need to check in within 24 hours anytime you spend the night away from your registered address,

you need to get permission to leave & re-enter country if you don't want to blow your visa.....Freeeedom???

Freedom and peaceful existence is a state of mind, and has nothing to do which political system you are living under. Living with the laws of the any land are the cost of living in that land. Get used to it.

Yes Thailand is a great place to live in spite of all things but really your rose tinted glasses reasons are off just that

I guess you need to throw away the dark glasses and know that there is light outside.

My responses are in italics above.

But here is my medical bills story.

I got bitten by a dog in Thailand. I had 3 anti-rabies injections given to me in a local Thai hospital with no medical insurance. But I had to travel back to States for personal reasons and could only get the last injection in States while under medicare coverage.

The cost of 1 anti-rabies injection in States when under medical insurance was more than  three times the 3 anti-rabies injection given to me in Thai hospital with no medical insurance. 

Talk about price gouging.

1 hour ago, tideout said:

Interesting how these things work isn't it?

Yes,

Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines and even China seem to be easing up and inviting long stay pensioners to come.

Thailand doesn't want us any more.

Could it be something to do with the decreasing fear of foreigners by the (former) communist/military governments in those countries and the increase in fear of foreigners by the Military Junta government in Thailand?

On 4/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, Jingthing said:

I would suggest if you can really afford to commit to Thailand's lack of residence security going forward for potentially decades, then you can also afford a very high end retirement destination such as New Zealand. Certainly Spain, Portugal, Panama City, Uruguay levels too. So my point in saying that is that in my view the vast majority of retirees in Thailand up till now are largely motivated by the bang for the baht factor, geographical arbitrage as it were. Given the trend in immigration policies here I see the future of this place only for the quite wealthy retiree. I think most of such very wealthy retirees would be better off elsewhere, but if they really really love Thailand in an exclusive way, then of course it would be Thailand. 

I agree totally.

I retired to Spain in 2000 and connected with Thailand in 2012, married a Thai and took her to Spain.

Until the last couple of years we were 50/50 in Spain/Thailand.

Now only 2-3 months in Thailand.

In these 7 years prices have risen in Thailand and for me, it's cheaper in Spain.

In Spain we both have full NHS cover, my wife has a Spanish ID (like a visa) good for 10 years, no re-entry fees, 90 day reports, annual extensions, nor reporting within 24 hrs of arrival to stay in OUR property).

We can travel at will in Europe (bugga Brexit BTW).

The language is easy for me but harder for my wife because the end of words in Thai are not important, whereas they are vital in Spanish.

Roads are safer, life is not considered as cheap as it is in Thailand.

As an oldun, I get a free bus pass to use in the city where we live.

Etc. etc....

I do not feel welcome in Thailand.

When making my annual retirement ext, immigration wanted 3 photocopies of the entire bankbook showing the 800,000.

3 copies!

Actually there is one million plus that has been there for 6 years but this is the first time they wanted more than a copy of the updated last page with the front page!

Why?

I also agree with the posters who worry about health insurance - if made mandatory, how could we afford it?

Would it cover existing conditions?

I doubt it so what to do as I am in my late 70's and have most of the conditions I am likely to get?

For many it would be the total deal changer and such a change could be made at a whim with no warning.

Did you read that insurers are saying that they will not cover 5G illnesses?

Define a 5G illness <deleted>!

If I wasn't married to a Thai I would not visit Thailand.

There are, as you say, many more countries with much more favourable conditions than Thailand.

Being a sex destination will still be a big draw for many who will be millionaires for their brief holiday.

That is the kind of visitor that I think Thailand wants.

They don't want a bunch of old folk embedded in their country cos with age, we tend to know too much and that can be challenging for them, because after all, they know everything and don't need us!!!

Just now, BritManToo said:

Yes,

Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines and even China seem to be easing up and inviting long stay pensioners to come.

Could it be something to do with the decreasing fear of foreigners by the (former) communist/military governments in those countries and the increase in fear of foreigners by the Military Junta government in Thailand?

I hear that Cambodia is a pretty easy visa process and that the Philippines has been an affordable option (Sunshine visa?) for retirement. Vietnam has tourist visas, work visas, a spousal visa and business visas. Vietnam does not have a retirement visa nor are they inviting retirees to come here.  From several good sources, it seems that they are really taking a closer look at the business visa program which has been been used as a backdoor method for longer stays. I'm not saying you can't come in on a business visa but it seems you're going to get a much, much closer look on your specifics, some price increases and a tendency to push you to the tourist visa. It is very likely to be curtailed as a long term option.

Foreigners who are less concerned about communist or military influence in their host country while lamenting the influx of Chinese in SE asia are seriously misunderstanding the situation between China and Vietnam at least. An example, one of the major cell services here is owned by the Vietnamese military. It's understandable that people are influenced by "business lite" articles on Vietnamese growth, tourist rates and so on but Vietnam is a fellow communist country that works closely with China. IMHO, Vietnam has let a lot of foreigners in with money to use to boost their economy and put capital into their banks for development. When or if that need is fulfilled, the screws are likely to be tightened on the old back doors for entry.

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes,

Sri Lanka?

I see what you mean but perhaps the religious situation also needs to be considered?

I doubt I can be more specific and stay within the TVF rules.....

A comment on the results here.

While I would never suggest that any unscientific poll here carries very much credibility, I can't help but notice the results of this particular poll.

Look at the number of votes. It's one member one vote. I've started a lot of polls over the years. The VOLUME of votes is unusually high and quite impressive.

Then there are the results, even though unscientific. It's been consistent at about SIXTY PERCENT of people claiming to be retired expats in Thailand agreeing with me, that prospective future retired expats should be WARNED off the place as a stable retirement destination.

Interesting at the very least!

I would not have predicted such OVERWHELMING results in favor of NOT recommending.

Cheers. 

As a Semi-Retired Expat (I spend approx 1/3rd of the month in Thailand & 2/3rds working in Singapore), I took the question as would I recommend retiring in Thailand to myself as well as anybody else & I have to say that 6 months ago it would have been "Yes... Yes... Yes", now it's "Maybe... Probably Not".

It's not just the change to the Visa regulations (I use the 800K in the Bank route & never planned on touching it), but other things have changed as well, in particular... 

The TM30, It's getting ridiculous now with a recent report of Immigration doing a house visit for a TM30... 

And you can't even top-up your BTS card nowadays without showing your passport & providing a phone number... 

I had all but decided to not extend my 1-year Non-O ME but go for the 1Million THB 20 Year Privileged Entry, my logic being that it's 50k pa, I pay 20k pa for Fast Track Access at BKK & probably 15-20k for an agent to do my extension/multi re-entry permit (maybe more if I needed them to go every 90 days to show my account was still above the required monies)

I think I'll hold off doing it this year & see whether it continues to get worse or if the tide turns & they start to ease up a little.   

Non-O will expire in July so I'll get a 90 stamp a couple of days before + get an agent to do my Multi Re-Entry permit & make a decision in September.

9 hours ago, mania said:

Sorry but your post sounds so green to folks who have lived many years in Thailand

Yes Thailand is a great place to live for various reasons

The two you mention here are not valid ones at all.

Build a home 1/3 the cost of the US ?

Are you experienced in home building?

(Then building yourself maybe cheaper if you can direct the labor properly but you will never give the workers skills they don't have)

The homes built in Thailand cannot compare for quality of materials used or build quality of other countries (Europe/USA etc)

If they did then the price would be close or more. Thai builders do dress up a pigs ear nicely though

Not to mention the elephant in the room.

You can build your wife or a Thai a nice house..Because if your an American you will never own the land that house sits on period.

(I assume US citizen as you compare house prices to USA)

Medical Bills? You mean medical tests?

Because yes exams/tests are a great deal in Thailand but when the SHTF :hit-the-fan:

you will see prices match elsewhere in the world quickly + you will possible find prices pumped up because your a falang

or even be told you need procedures done that you never really needed

As for "Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence "

???? Your living under martial law & even if that ends you still need to apply for permission to exist

you need to check in every 90 days, you need to check in within 24 hours anytime you spend the night away from your registered address,

you need to get permission to leave & re-enter country if you don't want to blow your visa.....Freeeedom???

Yes Thailand is a great place to live in spite of all things but really your rose tinted glasses reasons are off just that

Yes can build a house at 1/3 the price of same home in USA. Even if the cost of materials was the same the cost of labor/workers is a fraction of what USA workers would get. Had a 3 bedroom home built from ground up in Banglamung 14 years ago for $40,000 USD . I upgraded the design made house bigger to accommodate farang size. We did some renovations this year but the house is rock solid and would cost me  a lot more anywhere in USA.

If my wife and I split I could leave her the house or get half the cost of it in a divorce plus I could then keep all of my Gov pension and not have to give her anything, one reason she won't leave me.

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Yes can build a house at 1/3 the price of same home in USA. Even if the cost of materials was the same the cost of labor/workers is a fraction of what USA workers would get. Had a 3 bedroom home built from ground up in Banglamung 14 years ago for $40,000 USD . I upgraded the design made house bigger to accommodate farang size. We did some renovations this year but the house is rock solid and would cost me  a lot more anywhere in USA.

If my wife and I split I could leave her the house or get half the cost of it in a divorce plus I could then keep all of my Gov pension and not have to give her anything, one reason she won't leave me.

Utterly delusional.

Will be skint by Christmas.

9 hours ago, mania said:

s for "Have more independence, freedom, and peaceful existence "

In Cambodia you can buy a 1 year multi-entry VISA for $300.

They don't care where you are, what you do, or how much cannabis you vape/smoke (in your own home/hotel).

And if you're over 50 you you are prohibited from getting married.

Now that's freedom.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They don't care where you are, what you do, or how much cannabis you vape/smoke (in your own home/hotel).

Now that's freedom.

Is the moto traffic as mad in Phenom Penh as the big Vietnam cities?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Is the moto traffic as mad in Phenom Penh as the big Vietnam cities?

Didn't notice any traffic madness at all, busy but nothing like Bangkok or Saigon.

The roads were easily cross-able for pedestrians everywhere.

But don't walk/stand near the road holding a phone, there were guys on m/cs trying to snatch phones.

One tried to snatch my phone, but my grip was stronger than his, and he almost fell backwards off his m/c.

All the Tuk-Tuk like transport uses a phone app called 'passapp', the rates are fixed by the phone, the transport arrives in the centre of town in less than 2 minutes, and takes you anywhere you want locally for around $1, easier than a Baht bus, and no arguments over the fares. You can order a car or SUV for a little bit more. I used it for my 12Km trip to the airport, and paid $5 (inc tip), no waiting at 6am in the morning, very convenient.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has really talked about the agenda the PM is promoting when he attends the B&R Initiative in Beijing.   Nor has anyone even talked much about the longer term effects the EEC will have regarding western influence in the region.  What this will ultimately mean for farrang life in Thailand?  I mean to say, the original question,  "would you recommend retirement in Thailand "?

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414d3367544f33457a6333566d54/index.html

On 4/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, onera1961 said:

I would recommend only if someone has at least 2 million liquid assets and a 40K income per month. If your income is higher the better. But the reserve requirements remain the same. Never move to Thailand if you have less than 2 million. Stay in your own country. Believe me, it is cheaper if you have a place to stay for almost free (like your house, you children's basement etc.). Of course, if your goal is to avail cheap sex, Thailand is the place. In most countries, girls working in bars doesn't go to sleep with somebody 20 years older than her unless the person is a millionaire. 

I never had a problem when I was 50 and I'm not a millionaire in USD. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:37 PM, beachproperty said:

Not sure how in touch with reality you are ......but I recently had a stroke and spent only 3 days in ICU and 3 days in a private room...cost=73,000 Baht AND that was at Bangkok Hospital

thanks for posting the reality.   friend of mine had major heart surgery which cost him about 400k(all inclusive) baht at a good private hospital.    He has lived here more than ten years ( and the surgery was very successful).  

On the other hand, according to a recent poster the coverage for us folks over 60 is a minimum of a thousand dollars a month,  with some exclusions, and increasing rates ( till they just cancel you).

I self insure and have spent less in 20 years than one years premium from an insurer.  

Good and affordable medical care is the major reason i would find it difficult to move elsewhere. Also, I personally find the thai people where i live to be very friendly .  I did not feel that way in tourist areas like Pattaya.   Also cost of living very cheap for my lifestyle.  Those are pluses i would recommend to someone else thinking of moving here..

I do not find visa regulations a problem at all...as i trust thai banks as much as any other country (except maybe switzerland). Those retirees that did put their savings in Thai baht over the last ten years have MADE quite a bit in appreciation.       Recent negative is the air in the north of thailand ....but before never lasting so long as this year.    

Now that's freedom.
Ah, now I understand why people only talk but still stick around in the dump called Thailand. It is the cheap sex with young girls and the possibility of marrying one.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, madmitch said:

I'm starting the research now. She is taking IGCSEs at her school which will be transferable. She starts KS4 next year so will be taking these in two years and having spoken to educators now is not the best time to move but they seem to agree with my plan....as long as it is viable.

But thanks for your comments

That's good then. Having said the above, you can of course apply for sixth forms online nowadays; be sure to get in early. :wink: 

On 4/22/2019 at 2:24 PM, glegolo said:

As usual you guys needs to have a reality check, most of you it seems. The thread should indicate that you are thinking about expats from the 4 primtive one countries, the ones without income-letters, they are; Denmark, UK, Australia and USA. The rest of ALL OF US as a majority are just fine...... And can look forward to many fine years here in Thailand in the future hopefully......

glegolo

Until immigration wakes to the fact that income letters from other embassies are NOT verifying incomes just like the 4 you mentioned 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I would recommend anyone thinking about retiring to Thailand to only come on an OA visa ( therefore avoiding the Thai banks requirements), not to burn any bridges in their home country and to rent not buy ( a home ).

After 2 years on the OA expats can then decide whether to continue or not .

I am going to do either the o/a or maybe just the o visa which only requires a copy of your state pension and no proof of earnings . Is good for 15 months at 125 pounds for the multi entry .

The things that bother me if recommending Thailand for a retirement home is the political instability of the country and the oppressive heat in their summer . Ideally it would be a 6 month in Thailand and maybe 6 months somewhere in a Mediterranean country . 

A spanner in the works could come in the shape of compulsory health insurance . That could well be a deciding factor on where one can retire . Probably out of the reach of most guys in their 60s and up .

I am going to do either the o/a or maybe just the o visa which only requires a copy of your state pension and no proof of earnings . Is good for 15 months at 125 pounds for the multi entry .

The things that bother me if recommending Thailand for a retirement home is the political instability of the country and the oppressive heat in their summer . Ideally it would be a 6 month in Thailand and maybe 6 months somewhere in a Mediterranean country . 

A spanner in the works could come in the shape of compulsory health insurance . That could well be a deciding factor on where one can retire . Probably out of the reach of most guys in their 60s and up .

Yes, I only qualify for OA ( 10 years off State pension age ) and will likely go for it around September mainly to avoid tying money up in Thai bank.

Although, the Thai Embassy London is making some changes to their applications procedures ( adding online application ) and has delayed the start date for this to May . I just wonder if they are going to add a couple of hurdles to the OA ??

Also, agree, compulsory health insurance would see a mass exodus, no doubt they would only stipulate Thai insurance as per the OX visa.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:51 PM, marcusarelus said:

I'd recommend reading the poll on Thai Visa about how many expats have actually left Thailand because of the recent Visa changes so you can get a realistic impression if anyone really cares. 

Don’t care as much about polls as I do about a hassle free retirement.

moving to Vietnam in July. Easy enough to holiday here and also short and cheap flights for any medical needs. 

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Don’t care as much about polls as I do about a hassle free retirement.

moving to Vietnam in July. Easy enough to holiday here and also short and cheap flights for any medical needs. 

How do you get to another country when you have had a heart attack or stroke?  Do you have enough time?  I believe heart attack and stroke are very common causes of death.   I was just kidding about the poll.  There isn't any for obvious reasons. 

Archived