Man 'forced to sleep with rats' after Scottish bank cancels credit card during Thailand trip

webfact

2 hours ago, malcoml said:

He has now set up a go fund me account and looking to get 5000gbp so he can get home.

5000 GBP to get home, He only needs 500 GBP for the remaining two weeks so he can return home with his scheduled flight. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Years back I was using my credit union in Melbourne as my main bank along with a credit card from mainstream bank.

I went to the credit union office (same building (a week before departing for holiday here in Thailand) and they wrote down a plan (as per one of their services) for them to make several payments on my credit card. They didn't make the payments and my card was blocked. I called them many times, every time the operator said 'all tellers are busy, please wait'. I mentioned I was calling from Thailand but 'not allowed to jump you on the waiting queue even if your calling from abroad', and credit union staff not allowed to call back. 

I called a colleague from my office, he went straight away to the credit union manager 'can't help, can only talk to member' and cannot make a pre-arranged time for me to call them. 

I cut my holiday short and went home. Credit union manager refused to talk to me 'no need'. 

It was a lesson, I quickly got one more credit card and moved to another credit union which had a good reputation for 'can do' in whatever circumstances. 

"every time the operator said 'all tellers are busy, please wait'. I mentioned I was calling from Thailand but 'not allowed to jump you on the waiting queue even if your calling from abroad','

You are lucky you got to speak to somebody! In my experience the "all our agents are busy - your call is in  a queue" is an automated message, and you have to listen to some C@#p "musak" until an agent is available. (IMHO, this is a scam run by ALL utility companies and banks - after all - you are the one paying for the phone call!) 

I had this ATM that link to Debit Card about a year ago. It was working good when I was at the crossborder of Singapore-West Malaysia & East Malaysia-Thailand. Until one fine day, it stopped working, I managed to call the bank wasting money on trunk call waiting the selection from auto-answering machine. Finally got myself a talking human on the line.

The answer given in the end was, "Sir, you will need to re-activate your card for overseas usage again". 
I was like.....er.... I just used the card for withdrawal and purchase yesterday while I am in overseas?!?!?.... WTH!

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

My USA bank will rush a new card to me here if I have a problem such as losing my card, etc.  I wonder if the Scottish bank would do that for him.

UK banks will not send Credit/Debit cards to Thailand.

Any excuse will do, banks just don't want to return your money. Had it happen to me with one of my Thai banks. Same thing as this guy, I went out of my way to go into the bank and get the all clear before going to Singapore and also take some cash out just in case. Try to use the atm in Singapore and nope...no can do. Luckily, my room was prepaid for and I had enough cash to get by, but still...if you have to carry cash, it mostly defeats the purpose, does it not? What if you don't want to have any cash stolen? For me it is not a problem, I used to even go so far as to pack a dummy wallet with nothing of value in it  to lure people in the wrong direction. Even had the dummy wallet stolen once, so maybe it worked. People can find smaller less scary targets than myself to mug. But,  when I went back to the bank to get an explanation they said, "Oh...well...that's because you are using an old card with a magnetic strip. Those cards are very poor security." And I said, "Oh, so I should just have to sleep on the street or whatever because your own cards don't pass your own security standards? Brilliant. How about if I use another bank as my main bank. How secure is that in terms of keeping 'your' money out of someone else's hands, ie another bank? You guys are geniuses." Now that I use another bank as my primary bank, specifically because my old bank  assured me that I could use my card to get money in Sinagpore and turned around the very next day and denied me access and weren't answering the phones because it was a Sunday, I still go in to let my new bank know I'll be using the card abroad, and are there any new restrictions or anything I should know. There is always a  hassle with that, some clerks are not happy to consider what I am asking suggests, and you know what happens when you do that in Thailand,  that I would even suggest there might be a problem, or there is incomprehension, or just not listening to the question the usual in Thailand when dealing with any complications.

That said, its not only banks, it seems more and more services, be it simply a website that uses the technique of just denying you access a few times before giving it to you after a prolonged tick the boxes of photos that show traffic lights hassle. Its is very clear in some cases which photos have traffic lights and which don't. But you will be told "no thats incorrect, try again." More Orwellianian, right is wrong and wrong is right, freedom is slavery and slavery is freedom. This is how we are being trained.

More and more you hear about or even experience the situation where the hotel  room you have paid for via any of these online room booking services flat out refuses to honor the paid for booking. You can read many stories about it on Trip Advisor and other online travel sites . One Singapore hotel told me that I had to show them the actual email on a mobile device with the actual email with all the pretty graphics, otherwise sorry, we do not accept your simply reading off the correct booking number. I asked them, "OK, then, do you have a room being held for a person with my name for tonight and the booking number is correct?" Surprisingly they admitted that "yes, we do. And yes that number is correct" Oh my god, what possibly could the problem be then, I thought. How completely mind blowingly ridiculous.  So I asked, "Do you have a problem with my ID or something?" "No, it looks fine." "Did you recieve payment for the room?" "No we did not." "Well, why not? The booking service I used took my money." "Oh yeah, they are so bad! Why you use those things anyway. "Well you use them apparently, I could ask you the same thing. Shall we call them and ask them where your money is for my room?" Then suddenly it was, "OK, sir. The room key deposit is 50 dollars." I gave them their 50 dollars deposit and that was the end of it. So what if I hadn't said that I was prepared to call the online booking service? Oh well, in that case, you're just stupid then, so you don't deserve to have the room you paid for. Its becoming that kind of world and there is nothing in the media about it, we are too under seige by Russian hackers stealing the election from Hillary after she stole it from Bernie for that to matter.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

You having a bad day? not getting any?

People leaving their home country/ travelling to distant shores, should notify their bank of what they are planning and for how long, then no problems should arise.

In my travelling days UK to Asia i always let my bank know which countries i would be in, and approx how long.

The 1 time i did not notify them my card is blocked, for my own safety, when i enquired why my card was locked, i was told you did not notify us you would be in Thailand, your card transaction was considered fraudulent.

No, why should I?

Maybe you? Your "Travelling Days" are, obviously, long gone...

Same thing happened to me years ago in the Philippines, after trying a few ATM's and contacting the bank, I was informed that my new card was on my door mat in the UK, this was after finding out I could not transfer to a Philippine bank account as it had been closed for having under 1000 pesos in it for a year, (wonder where that balance went to), lucky had a Credit Card with me or would have been in a similar situation, morale of the story do not rely on a single card .  

8 hours ago, faraday said:

Smashing post that, Maitdjai - bet you've got loads of friends, with your heartfelt approach.

Thank you,

for your analytical judgment!

You're one of these tough ones here.

It's always a pleasure when hit dogs are barking,

but, sorry, I give a damn about, what you're betting on...

Up to you!

10 hours ago, Youlike said:

Yes and that's because we even can't trust our own banks anymore these days.

I've had the same, my bank had blocked my creditcard for certain countries for safety reasons without telling me.

Same happened to me. Top building Society, Nationwide, blocked my debit card several years ago when I was in Thailand, without telling me. I phoned them, only to be told by an officious customer services person that it was stopped because I was using it in Thailand. Not interested in the fact that I had been using it there in ATMs with no problem for years. They reinstated my card as if they were doing me a favour! Later enquiries established that I should have informed them online where I was going but they hadn't told me about this requirement/facility. They don't care.

the bank can send a card to Thailand or transfer funds another way to him.work in a restaurant where is the work visa that is a no no in Thailand.also the name  true Scottish for sure.if a eu citizen  they can help him too.they want to be a unitied one passport one umbrella  for the future.the go fund page  seems like  it will up and running soon

He has my sympathy. I have spent the last twelve years in dispute with Bank of Scotland over access to my accounts, and MY money.  Now in the hands of the ombudsman, but I have no great expectations of satisfaction.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

he is now working in a restaurant in Thailand in return for meals and has nowhere to stay for the remaining two weeks of his holiday - forcing him to sleep on the streets and in disused buildings.

Mmm.... obviously a preferable option to approaching his air carrier and altering his ticket to return home now... hope he enjoys the next two weeks with his other holiday making mates.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

he has been forced to sleep in abandoned buildings with rats and cockroaches on holiday

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Who goes travelling for two months with ONE card as the only source of funds ? thats asking for trouble, and no friends or relatives to assist ? 

Very treu ,and isn't there any bank branche where you can go and get money with your passport as id .and its how you say, even if cannot, he must have someone that can transfer some by western union to be there same day. i feel a go fund me page coming for the poor guy sleeping with rats and roaches . And if the bank knows about the story i geuss they will help in some kind of way so he can pick up money somewhere at some bank . I dont believe anything about having to illegaly work for two months to pay for the rest of the holliday, smells like B.S

11 hours ago, Hardie said:

Rule #1: Always have a backup, and don't wait until the last minute to get more  $...

Got that one hugely wrong - "Always have a backup, and don't wait until the last minute to get more £ . . . "

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

Also always a good idea to inform your bank in advance that you intend to use your credit/debit card during an upcoming holiday in a foreign country. Strikes me that the guy referred to in the OP probably omitted to do this.

Informing your bank doesn't always work. I called Nat West once and said I am going to Thailand, can you log it please? They said they don't do that.

I have had my NW card blocked (for security reasons) until I managed to call them and unblock it. My wife had her Barclays Debit blocked also. Luckily I have friends in Thailand who could help out.

I think the headline 'forced to sleep with rats'  is a bit OTT. I thought they were talking about Ladboys to start with.

11 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I guess the IO who stamped him in didn’t ask to see his 20k in cash. 

And this is the reason they want to see the cash, not plastic. 

20,000 is not going to last two months when you think you can tely on your ATM card. But he should have been aware of the expiration date and asked his bank to send the new card in time to activate it from home.

I think his main problem was the fact that he used (and relied upon) Citibank (and the fact that he's a dunce).

I have had nothing but trouble using my Citibank card in Thailand for many years ever since my first trip as a tourist (and yes I ALWAYS put a travel notice on my account detailing my travel to them). 

Now living here on a retirement extension, I have to notify Citibank before my card is used every time (in Thailand) and verify the charge after the fact or they will freeze my charge privileges for suspected "fraud".

It's a losing battle with them so I gave up using my Citibank card.   Too much hassle and they just don't give a damn either.

Citibank can kiss my sweaty testosterone makers. 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

You having a bad day? not getting any?

People leaving their home country/ travelling to distant shores, should notify their bank of what they are planning and for how long, then no problems should arise.

In my travelling days UK to Asia i always let my bank know which countries i would be in, and approx how long.

The 1 time i did not notify them my card is blocked, for my own safety, when i enquired why my card was locked, i was told you did not notify us you would be in Thailand, your card transaction was considered fraudulent.

This of course, is nonsense. Since the issue in this case is about card expiry. Nonetheless, not all banks require that you let them know. In the event, the person involved did go into his branch beforehand.

People on TV are often too quick to judge. Why is this, do you think?

Archived