Man 'forced to sleep with rats' after Scottish bank cancels credit card during Thailand trip

webfact

Strange ... banks in Oz send a new card, but don't cancel the old one until the new card is activated on-line, or at a bank branch.

And going on an extended holiday with sole asset a debit card ... no backup credit card, no cash ... ?

I sometimes wonder if we are getting the full story ... surely no-one would travel on a CREDIT card .... I can understand bank cancelling that card in certain circumstances ... as I say, need the whole story.

Another gofundme candidate ... ?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/23/2019 at 2:38 AM, graemeaylward said:

That's a good old Scottish name! ????

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Same every americain citizen and australien and newzealand citizen 

The only diffenrence that his grandfather kill noone but they did

1 hour ago, Lancelot01 said:

True. What happens if we end up with a cashless society?

What difference does it make?  We use the card to take out cash without having to go into the bank, lose the card and you will have to go into the bank, in a cashless society we use cards to pay without having to take out cash, lose the card and you will have to go into the bank to order a new card, not much difference, is there?

14 minutes ago, Razek said:

Same every americain citizen and australien and newzealand citizen 

The only diffenrence that his grandfather kill noone but they did

When the Celts arrived in Britain there were an indiginous population and the Celts killed and ate them. so actually no real difference.

Bank of Scotland in the past 6 months have cancelled some of their credit cards i.e. the Avios clarity mastercard and replaced them with new ones. Instead of replacing them at their expiry date, they cancelled all cards. They did this without notification, not even a message through their banking app. 

This guy has probably left home with his credit card showing an expiry date of 2020 or 2021 and also notified the bank of his holiday intentions. The issue for him is that he didn't have a back up card.

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

Bank of Scotland in the past 6 months have cancelled some of their credit cards i.e. the Avios clarity mastercard and replaced them with new ones. Instead of replacing them at their expiry date, they cancelled all cards. They did this without notification, not even a message through their banking app. 

This guy has probably left home with his credit card showing an expiry date of 2020 or 2021 and also notified the bank of his holiday intentions. The issue for him is that he didn't have a back up card.

A German bank did this to me in 2013/14 when I came into Thailand. They provided a new debit and a new credit card. The debit card never worked in Thailand, and when I complained, they cancelled my bank account so my pensions didn't come for more than two months. They also cancelled my credit card because of no permanent income anymore. 

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is all a little tough.

Having been the victim of identity theft, my alter ego even filed a tax return in my name, which resulted in a whole world of hurt with the IRS, I'm pretty much on board with the banks, when their algorithms detect something suspicious freezing your account.

You are assuming their algorithms make some sense and actually serve that purpose.

My experience is that they are very poorly designed, miss fraud and flag obviously safe transactions.

But the flag per se is not my main grievance...if they had a human look at the flagged transactions and the account (e.g. past history and any travel notifications) it would suffice to prevent unnecessary account freezing...and tyhey would quickly find out all that is wrong with their algorithms.

As for calling them to straighten it out..several hundred dollars worth of international calling and literally hours spent on hold. :((

People  keep asking why the man in the OP did not have any cash. Odds are he spent it  trying to call the &^$* bank

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If his card expired , he should have know the expiry date and got a new one before he left

Did you read it Max? Obviously not. Card was nowhere near expiry. But don't let facts get in the way when you have an opinion ... opinion trumps facts. The new reality.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Did you read it Max? Obviously not. Card was nowhere near expiry. But don't let facts get in the way when you have an opinion ... opinion trumps facts. The new reality.

I just read what was written in the O.P and the bank said that they sent him a new card , which suggested that his old card was going to expire soon .

Now , I just read the full article in the link , which stated his card was due to expire at 21 minutes past 8 (20.21)

That was a joke BTW , I also wrote "If" , which isnt giving a fact , it was and "if" , and do give it a rest about Trump , I simply made a mistake and I wasnt trying to make up "facts"  

On 4/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, Donaldo said:

It sounds to me that he has a very solid case against the bank. I assume we are talking about RBS. A bank with an already terrible reputation. He shouldn't have any problem finding a lawyer on a no win no fee basis. I wish him good luck. And let it be a lesson that cash is king. 

No  he can do nothing, I had my Credit card cancelled by Nationwide, building society in England,  I phoned them to ask what was the reason my card had been cancelled. the reason was i was taking small amounts out in English money. £20 at the time when the baht was at 71, i did not need to take out large amounts, They said no problem we will send a new card to your home address, In England, I looked into it when i got back  and i was told not there problem, even though i had told them i would be using my card in Thailand, A bank can withdraw your card at any time.  

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, Donaldo said:

It sounds to me that he has a very solid case against the bank. I assume we are talking about RBS. A bank with an already terrible reputation. He shouldn't have any problem finding a lawyer on a no win no fee basis. I wish him good luck. And let it be a lesson that cash is king. 

The OP stated that the bank was the Bank of Scotland so why are you wrongly assuming that it's RBS, two entirely different banks?  

What does he need a lawyer for?

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, hotchilli said:

Same happened to me with Barclays Bank of England.

When your credit/debit card is about to expire the bank automatically notifies the card centre, they produce one and send it to your address... except Thailand is on their blacklist & will not post it here.

Trouble is everything works within the system as far a producing a new card but NO ONE tells you it cannot be sent to you... which is crazy!

I sat here waiting for it to be delivered, after a couple of weeks I called them, they said one had been made, but would cancel it and produce another in case it had gone astray.

This happened 3 times until my bank gave me a contact number within the card centre office.

They said yes Mr ******** we've made your new cards but cannot send them to you as you live in Thailand.

"...Thailand is on their blacklist & will not post it here.  Trouble is everything works within the system as far a producing a new card but NO ONE tells you it cannot be sent to you... which is crazy!"

Not so crazy.  Did you inform Barclays that you were living in Thailand when you moved here or did you keep it quiet in order to keep your UK cards and account alive? If you had told them of your new address in Thailand they would have told you about their restrictions!

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, sambum said:

I have had the same experience. The safest way is to get a friend to bring it out for you - which I agree, is not always possible. The other way is to get it "couriered" out to you - which is  expensive, or get a friend to pick it up from your UK address, and post it to your address in Thailand, but that option would have to be a last resort - the Thai postal system is not as trustworthy or as reliable as Royal Mail! (Plus if you're only on a 2/3 weeks holiday you would probably be back home by the time your card arrived here!)

"...the Thai postal system is not as trustworthy or as reliable as Royal Mail!"

Since when?!  There is nothing wrong with the registered/signed for system in Thailand.

Registered letter post from UK to Bangkok takes four or five days usually, I know, I use it frequently.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, MeePeeMai said:

I think his main problem was the fact that he used (and relied upon) Citibank (and the fact that he's a dunce).

I have had nothing but trouble using my Citibank card in Thailand for many years ever since my first trip as a tourist (and yes I ALWAYS put a travel notice on my account detailing my travel to them). 

Now living here on a retirement extension, I have to notify Citibank before my card is used every time (in Thailand) and verify the charge after the fact or they will freeze my charge privileges for suspected "fraud".

It's a losing battle with them so I gave up using my Citibank card.   Too much hassle and they just don't give a damn either.

Citibank can kiss my sweaty testosterone makers. 

"I think his main problem was the fact that he used (and relied upon) Citibank (and the fact that he's a dunce).

The Scot in question banks with the Bank of Scotland, not Citibank.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, billd766 said:

Many years ago when I used to have a UK bank account with Lloyds offshore in Jersey I had a problem using my Lloyds debit card here in Thailand.

The last time was when I went to PNG and the bank in Jersey simply canceled my debit card due to my overdraft being to high. They didn't bother to tell me though. It cost me over us$ 100 to phone them and sort that out.

"The last time was when I went to PNG and the bank in Jersey simply canceled my debit card due to my overdraft being to high. They didn't bother to tell me though. It cost me over us$ 100 to phone them and sort that out".

That was the bank's fault?  How, did the bank have a crystal ball?  How would the bank know that you were about to exceed your O/D limit until you exceeded it?  You are either within your limit or you're not and if you stay within the agreed O/D limit you wouldn't have had to spend anything on phone calls.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:05 AM, lucifer666 said:

The expiry date is always stamped onto the card, if he had cared to look. Secondly, most ATMs here can be used without a card ( You do need the account details though)

He didn't need "to care to look", he knew it didn't expire until 2021.

This is what i carry:

Cash, different currencies at least $600

2 debit cards

1 visa card. - Credit card is the most important they will replace this in 48 hours anywhere in the world.

$1000 Etherium coins, can be exchange on localetherium anywhere in the world

$400 Travelers Checks

Also paypal, can book Agonda rooms online

On 4/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, sambum said:

I have had the same experience. The safest way is to get a friend to bring it out for you - which I agree, is not always possible. The other way is to get it "couriered" out to you - which is  expensive, or get a friend to pick it up from your UK address, and post it to your address in Thailand, but that option would have to be a last resort - the Thai postal system is not as trustworthy or as reliable as Royal Mail! (Plus if you're only on a 2/3 weeks holiday you would probably be back home by the time your card arrived here!)

Just Weird - why are you confused by the above post? It's self explanatory, or is English not your primary language?

Archived