Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

12 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

That is all true and DL is widely accepted. I understand that DL is not an official ID though. For example, DLT doesn't accept DL for car as ID when applying for another DL for motorbike.

If you get your pink alien card translated, and take it to the MoFA to get verified, then you can use it to renew your driver's licence.

Personally, I'd prefer to use my yellow house book. I've also used the address on my WP.

If you have no WP or house book, then a trip to immigration every  6 years might be better, and free.

Edited by Neeranam

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
15 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

That is all true and DL is widely accepted. I understand that DL is not an official ID though. For example, DLT doesn't accept DL for car as ID when applying for another DL for motorbike.

If you get your pink alien card translated, and take it to the MoFA to get verified, then you can use it to renew your driver's licence.

Personally, I'd prefer to use my yellow house book. I've also used the address on my WP.

If you have no WP or DL, then a trip to immigration every  6 years might be better, and free.

Pink ID is the only form of picture ID the Thai government will issue to foreigners and can be used at DLT. Other ID you have is passport. Neither needs to be verified or certified to use normally. Not at DLT.

1 minute ago, zhangxifu said:

Pink ID is the only form of picture ID the Thai government will issue to foreigners and can be used at DLT. Other ID you have is passport. Neither needs to be verified or certified to use normally. Not at DLT.

Pink ID can't be used at DLT. They handed it back to me, saying "no use".

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
13 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Was it because your address is wrong in the ID as you previously stated? Or did they give you another reason? What did you use for ID then? Your passport? Every time I do something at DLT they want copies of my pp and stamps. I guess there is no way around that. You must prove you are in the country legally.

As we are talking about DL, what about the medical cert? Did you use pink ID for the medical cert? That means name in thai and 13-digit number.

Edited by zhangxifu

Just now, zhangxifu said:

Was it because your address is wrong in the ID as you previously stated? Or did they give you another reason? What did you use for ID then? Your passport? Every time I do something at DLT they want copies of my pp and stamps. I guess there is no way around that. You must prove you are in the country legally.

The address on my pink foreigner card is my correct address, it's the one on my yellow household book that is wrong.

Interestingly. I went to my doctor on Friday for a medical cert..and mentioned to him that I might have a Thai ID card next year. He said that many foreigners were now showing him a Thai ID card!

I tried to explain that no foreigner in this province has ever got citizenship after 1973, but he wouldn't listen.

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
11 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

The address on my pink foreigner card is my correct address, it's the one on my yellow household book that is wrong.

Has it occurred to you that it could be illegal to use outdated document as a proof of address? Cos in reality that address could have new owner and residents.

The definition of correct address is the one you fill in the form at DLT I assume. And you might have misunderstood the no can use meaning?

2 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Has it occurred to you that it could be illegal to use outdated document as a proof of address? Cos in reality that address could have new owner and residents.

The definition of correct address is the one you fill in the form at DLT I assume. And you might have misunderstood the no can use meaning?

My yellow house book is just where I'm registered as living. It is not outdated. It is possible to have more than one address.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
12 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

My yellow house book is just where I'm registered as living. It is not outdated. It is possible to have more than one address.

No it is not. TB is your census registration and the ID is issued based on TB.

If you like to have a different address in every province nothing stops you from buying condos in all of them. Then you could get as many electricity contracts and immigration/consulate issued residence certificates to all of them. But what's the point if you already have a TB and ID in your back pocket. You can't use them if you don't keep them up to date.

Edited by zhangxifu

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Am I missing something here? if the yellow book is needed to get the Pink ID card, how did you get the ID card issued with a different address to that of the yellow book ?

I got a pink card in my province then I moved my yellow book to Bangkok. Nobody will ever ask to see your pink card and yellow book together.

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Am I missing something here? if the yellow book is needed to get the Pink ID card, how did you get the ID card issued with a different address to that of the yellow book ?

I got a pink card in my province then I moved my yellow book to Bangkok. Nobody will ever ask to see your pink card and yellow book together.

In the bank they would.

Did I get this right? You just got a new DL at KK DLT with a yellow book that has BKK address?

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
6 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

In the bank they would.

Did I get this right? You just got a new DL at KK DLT with a yellow book that has BKK address?

Yes, my old YB has an invalid stamp on it.

I'm not sure why you brought that up? Did you go there with two yellow books? It sounds like DLT has now registered your address to BKK. But you live in KK. And your ID that no one want's to see is outdated. Hope it's not illegal.

15 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

I'm not sure why you brought that up? Did you go there with two yellow books? It sounds like DLT has now registered your address to BKK. But you live in KK. And your ID that no one want's to see is outdated. Hope it's not illegal.

No, my old yellow books are not valid.

The address on my DL is not in BKK, maybe they didn't look at the yellow book.

The pink card is not ID anyway, it says on the back. And I don't need it anyway. Sigh.

1 hour ago, zhangxifu said:

So, you could have entered you 13-digit ID instead of passport number there. I did, no problems.

In Thailand people always ask for pp but I always present ID. This is very common.

Ah, understand, a foreigner passport number has no fixed size so you can enter 13 digit Pink card ID. Good to know. Maybe I should have done the same so all documents would be the same language. 

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"The pink card is not ID anyway, it says on the back"

that's your opinion and interpretation.

It is completely false translation.
Front of the card it says this is alien ID card. Back of the card it says this is not a thai nationality ID card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

"The pink card is not ID anyway, it says on the back"

that's your opinion and interpretation.

True. It says something different on the front!

It's all very confusing. Different people say different things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, it can, I've done it twice, the second time just four months ago.

It's because you wanted to use it for your proof of address. 

Your ID card is what it says, proof of ID, and replaces your passport. You need to show your yellow tabien baan for proof of address in the same way that a Thai national needs to show both when renewing their driving licence.

• Like 2

DLT do. ????

And by registering your new address and getting a new TB you needed to get a new pink ID card as well. Not doing so made your old ID card invalid.

Edited by sumrit

40 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

It is completely false translation.
Front of the card it says this is alien ID card. Back of the card it says this is not a thai nationality ID card.

I don't want to complicate things, especially as we can't write Thai here.

Basically you are right, but the word Thai is missing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

F11388310-0.gif

Edited by Neeranam
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

I have a a yellow book but local amphur refused to issue me a pink id card as they said it was for foreign, ie Burmese, Laos or Cambodian, workers only.

I couldn't get one 10 years ago, despite showing them the law that said ALL foreigners had to get an alien certificate.

I think they started giving "quality" foreigners about 3 years ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I couldn't get one 10 years ago, despite showing them the law that said ALL foreigners had to get an alien certificate.

Yeah I must be one of those low quality farang hanging out in the village.

44 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah I must be one of those low quality farang hanging out in the village.

When I first applied for a pink ID card the receptionist at the Amphur said they were only for people from Myanma, Laos and Cambodia and wouldn't accept any foreigner was entitled. I just couldn't get past her. So I asked on this forum whether anybody knew the relevant law that applied. Ubonjoe kindly sent me the attached document. It's all in Thai but a Thai friend highlighted the relevant sections that applied to me and I took it back to the receptionist at the Amphur. As soon as she read the highlighted parts she ushered me to the correct desk and I received my pink card.

foreigner ID CardDOPA Manual - Civil Registration and Nationality.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1