Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

Lets face it those with a pink card think its wonderful and makes their life so easy,to the rest of us we just think ,glad they are happy,its such a jore having to take your passport once to get a bank account,the strain and fear walking down the street with it,as for a sim got mine with my driving licence and my wifey by my side.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So is mine, now I am wondering if my card has an expiry date as I cannot read Thai.

I thought the card was for good, then again it will probably depend on which office gave you it.

It says quite clearly on it, 10 years.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So is mine, now I am wondering if my card has an expiry date as I cannot read Thai.

I thought the card was for good, then again it will probably depend on which office gave you it.

ID-Thai-Vorderseite.jpg.60d524e8753622640defe6bf58902849.jpg

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

A few random images from Google:

images-4.jpeg.b9c23a436cf981b0c50c3292c5de946a.jpegIMG_2822.jpg.a28d61cd6a8ea2cfdf58b7159fc2292c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.2ddd425cbdc15011dd11876ced047209.jpgthaidrivinglicense.jpg.4756370aed78e911e6c18247db2c3dac.jpg

Where did they get the transliteration of your name from? Afaik this has to come from a certified translator and is not made by the person at the government office.

You can translate it yourself. There is no such thing as a certified translator in Thailand, ie no certifying body.

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Got a pink card few years back. I already had a yellow book. No need to be married to a Thai. The only times that I have used the pink card is to obtain Thai admissions prices at museums, exhibitions, etc. I don't know whether they give me the Thai price because the pink card entitles me to it, or because they have never seen a pink card before.

Also, it's nice because it shows me about 5 cm taller than I am (they took the picture at an angle).

Other than that, I think it's quite ok to give it a miss.

Great to hear that! All I always hear is cannot do if not married. May I ask which amphoer issued you one?

The pink card states that this is not a Thai nationality card so no it doesn't necessarily give you Thai prices in all cases. Sometimes it does though.

If you are over 60, the card is for life. Move to a new province, need a new yellow book and a new pink ID. Have done it twice and apart from getting a letter from the leaving province, easily done.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It says quite clearly on it, 10 years.

Like a Thai nationals ID card, the pink ID card is valid for ten years if you are under sixty when apply for it, but once you reach sixty, your next card is valid for life.????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You can translate it yourself. There is no such thing as a certified translator in Thailand, ie no certifying body.

Isnt that what the MFA does, certifies translations ?

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Like a Thai nationals ID card, the pink ID card is valid for ten years if you are under sixty when apply for it, but once you reach sixty, your next card is valid for life.????

I don't plan on renewing it.

17 minutes ago, Mister T said:

If you are over 60, the card is for life. Move to a new province, need a new yellow book and a new pink ID. Have done it twice and apart from getting a letter from the leaving province, easily done.

You may be right, but keep in mind that this is Thailand, and not all government offices have the same rules.

The back of my shiny new pink card has three clauses. The third clause states the holder cannot exit the region (originally meant for hill tribes, etc) except for a) foreigners (dangdao) and b) card holders who posses a signed document of authorization to do so. Maybe older cards do not have the same clause.

Its NOT the law. Its either a poorly worded statement  (means not transferable) that doesn't translate well or only applies to stateless people. Permanent Residents get a Pink ID, are they restricted from traveling ????

There is no travel restrictions for western expats with Pink IDs. The only law you will find is for stateless people who dont have passports etc but have been issued pink IDs.

Air Asia dont accept the pink ID because its in a different language (Thai) to their booking system (English). Or the same as you, dont understand the statement on the back of the ID card.

Got the yellow book. Not used it or been asked for it since I got it so decided leaving things at that.

We are supposed to carry our passports with us at all times so whether the pink card might do instead I don't know ( probably not ).

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its NOT the law.

Oh yes it is.

Its either a poorly worded statement

In your opinion.

Permanent Residents get a Pink ID, are they restricted from traveling ????

Stateless people can't get PR

There is no travel restrictions for western expats with Pink IDs.

I never said there was.

The only law you will find is for stateless people who dont have passports

Hence why a stateless person cannot use it outside of the province where it was obtained. 

Keep yer knickers on Peter and get yer facts right before jumping on someone.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, rabas said:

The back of my shiny new pink card has three clauses. The third clause states the holder cannot exit the region (originally meant for hill tribes, etc) except for a) foreigners (dangdao) and b) card holders who posses a signed document of authorization to do so. Maybe older cards do not have the same clause.

CharlieH’s photo is not quite in focus, perhaps you or him could post a nice clear photo of this clause and we could settle the argument once and for all.

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Aha, so there is a new version of the writing on the back of the pink card.

I just got my Thai daughter in law to check if there are words about '...except foreigners... .' in regard to the travel limitations on my card, DIL is an intelligent well educated lady excellent English, and I explained the background to my question before she read it several times. 

She said it mentions about restrictions on travel but there is no mention of 'except foreigners'. 

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its NOT the law. Its either a poorly worded statement  (means not transferable) that doesn't translate well or only applies to stateless people. Permanent Residents get a Pink ID, are they restricted from traveling ????

There is no travel restrictions for western expats with Pink IDs. The only law you will find is for stateless people who dont have passports etc but have been issued pink IDs.

Air Asia dont accept the pink ID because its in a different language (Thai) to their booking system (English). Or the same as you, dont understand the statement on the back of the ID card.

Where does it say not transferable?