Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

On 4/24/2019 at 6:46 PM, Peterw42 said:

ave used yellow book for license and to transfer vehicles, saved several trips to immigration to get resident certificates

Trat transport office refused point blank to transfer my car with the yellow book and pink I D card, (with my wife and phone calls to my local amphor who also spoke to this woman) i had to go to immigration for the letter, who told me you don't need it they phoned the woman at transport office and told her,but she still insisted on the letter ( not wanting to lose face ? ) Immigration gave me the letter quickly and at no charge. got back to transport office change of shift, the pleasant lady who spoke good english  that then served me would have done it without the letter . AAAAAH:crazy:

• Like 2

Just now, brianthainess said:

Trat transport office refused point blank to transfer my car with the yellow book and pink I D card, (with my wife and phone calls to my local amphor who also spoke to this woman) i had to go to immigration for the letter, who told me you don't need it they phoned the woman at transport office and told her,but she still insisted on the letter ( not wanting to lose face ? ) Immigration gave me the letter quickly and at no charge. got back to transport office change of shift, the pleasant lady who spoke good english  that then served me would have done it without the letter . AAAAAH:crazy:

Yes, it comes down to the individual DLTs, or who you get on the day. Pattaya DLT is hit and miss, I have done license renewals and vehicle transfers (2 weeks ago) just using yellow book but other report not being able to.

14 minutes ago, sumrit said:

It most definitely is possible, I do it. The last time was when I renewed my licence in Chonburi just four months ago, in December 2018. My DL shows my ID number and not my passport number.

Does your license have your name in Thai (top half) and English (bottom half) the same as Thais have, or English for both, the same as most westerners ?.

13 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Important to remember that your pink ID card is only proving your ID (in place of your passport) awhile your yellow tabien baan proves your address (in place of a residence certificate). You need to take both to renew your licence, not just your ID card.

My brand new shiny pink card also shows my home address, the same as in my yellow tabien baan.  Though it's not surprising that some don't.

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Does your license have your name in Thai (top half) and English (bottom half) the same as Thais have, or English for both, the same as most westerners ?.

My DL is Thai like, Thai name on top, English on bottom.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

On my old licence top half in Thai, bottom half in English, the same as for my Thai wife.

Theres a new format/layout on my new licence. One central section:

Name in Thai

name in English

DOB in Thai

DOB in English

Thai/English ID number

Again the same layout as for a Thai National with a 'recently' renewed licence

Edited by sumrit

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

This again must be Provincial DLT specific.

Every licence for foreigners is in both Thai and English from my Provincial DLT.

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

On my old licence top half in Thai, bottom half in English, the same as for my Thai wife.

New format/layout on my new licence. One central section:

Name in Thai

name in English

DOB in Thai

DOB in English

Thai/English ID number

Again the same layout as for a Thai National

Thanks,

That appears to be the difference if you get the license using Yellow/ID, besides your citizen number it also has your name in thai and english.

License from passport name in english twice.

6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Theres a new format/layout on my new licence. One central section:

Name in Thai

name in English

DOB in Thai

DOB in English

Thai/English ID number

Again the same layout as for a Thai National with a 'recently' renewed licence

Renewed my Thai DL 12 months ago. Top name in English and block capitals. Name below also in English, not block capitals.

Unlike my previous DL, surname first in both instances. When I queried this was told, "New format".

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

This again must be Provincial DLT specific.

Every licence for foreigners is in both Thai and English from my Provincial DLT.

Yes, probably DLT specific.  In that case. I wonder who is doing the name translation ? And how accurate is it ? 

I imagine it would be the girl who types up the license.

If you do the license with yellow/ID thats using the official MFA translation (in theory). 

How would they translate Sean Connery on the fly, to be phonetically accurate?

1 hour ago, sumrit said:
11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My pink card is different to my yellow house book. Are you saying I can't use my card outside where it was issued?

If a Thai national changes their official residence (is recorded in a different Tabien Baan) they must also change their ID card to that new address, but they are still valid documents throughout Thailand.

As I understand it, the same/similar rules apply, a pink ID card is still valid when visiting anywhere in Thailand, not just their home province, but, if a foreigner moves to another province permanently they must obtain a new yellow tabien baan plus a new ID card for that new address.

My daughter is studying Thai Law at University at the moment and this is the explanation her lecturer gave her.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Others have used it to renew their drivers license? I don't think this is possible. 

It most definitely is possible, I do it. The last time was when I renewed my licence in Chonburi just four months ago, in December 2018. My DL shows my ID number and not my passport number.

Important to remember that your pink ID card is only proving your ID (in place of your passport) awhile your yellow tabien baan proves your address (in place of a residence certificate). You need to take both to renew your licence, not just your ID card, and the information on both must be the same.

Even though blue and yellow house books serve the same general purpose, census registration, function is not quite the same. If foreigner is issued a house book, only thing he must do is notify when he moves out. Failing that is probably not even a problem. The new owner can remove him from the file. But if he moved out, he may apply for a new house book in the new location, if he wishes to do so. Would be interesting to know can it be done if he waits for several years in between the address registrations. Reasons for the house book registration for a foreigner is the proof of address. Maybe it could be used as a proof of years of residence at the location, so giving a tax discount when sold, if he is the owner. For thais there are several other reasons not to update their address'. Inheritance, schools, hospitals etc. It is more diverse, so the reasoning is a bit different for them. I have heard lots of thais getting complaint visiting Bangkok district offices for not updating their addresses to Bangkok too. They should, but in many cases don't.

44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, probably DLT specific.  In that case. I wonder who is doing the name translation ? And how accurate is it ? 

If you do the license with yellow/ID thats using the official MFA translation (in theory). 

Again I can only relate my personal local knowledge.

Our Provincial Amphoe recommends two registered certified translators when requiring translations of Passports for obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan. They do not require these legalised by the MFA.

The DLT has no problem translating average English names, but some of the European names cause problems. They communicate with the Amphoe if in difficulty or unsure, who in turn communicate with one of the translators if they have difficulties.

The ability to translate correctly appears to come down to the level of education of both the Thai language and the English language. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Our Provincial Amphoe recommends two registered certified translators when requiring translations of Passports for obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan. They do not require these legalised by the MFA.

The DLT has no problem translating average English names, but some of the European names cause problems. They communicate with the Amphoe if in difficulty or unsure, who in turn communicate with one of the translators if they have difficulties.

The ability to translate correctly appears to come down to the level of education of both the Thai language and the English language. 

Except if the name is not of english origin but of other few hundred languages spoken around us. I would ask the names owner.

It's interesting to hear about the provincial practise here. In Bangkok one first needs to stamp copy of passport true by the country's consulate. Then the translation can be stamped at MFA. I believe this is the law in Thailand. The relaxed process in the province invites misuse and forgery.

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Our Provincial Amphoe recommends two registered certified translators when requiring translations of Passports for

Translators cannot be certified in Thailand. There is no such thing. They can be a registered company, that is all.

Edited by Neeranam

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
50 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Our Provincial Amphoe recommends two registered certified translators when requiring translations of Passports for

Translators cannot be verified in Thailand. There is no such thing.

And from my personal experience, even the translators who work at MFA building in Bangkok sometimes mis-translate the local ministers name. That is then caught by the MFA stamp people and told to correct before applying the MFA stamp.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

There is no official or reliable way to transliterate between Thai and English, or other languages, because there are many different systems. It's may be best to aim for a Thai spelling that sounds close to the average Thai. Long ago my name was 'officially' translated making two phonetic mistakes. Allan, my first name, was spelled like AL-LAN but a final L in Thai is pronounced 'N', so Thai read it as AN-LAN. Some transliterations confuse G and K and now I have a non-existent G in my last name.

Chaengwattana of immigration fame starts with J, jaw jan.

Edited by rabas

34 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Translators cannot be certified in Thailand. There is no such thing. They can be a registered company, that is all.

True, what I should have stated is they are qualified to translate and certify the translation.

Both have English language decrees obtained from UK Universities, unlike many freelance translators.

Their businesses (English language schools) are registered.

Foreign Embassies usually have a list of recommended translators, whom they have 'approved', although they tend to be local within the vicinity of Bangkok.

Edited by Tanoshi

31 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

And from my personal experience, even the translators who work at MFA building in Bangkok sometimes mis-translate the local ministers name. That is then caught by the MFA stamp people and told to correct before applying the MFA stamp.

The translation service within the MFA building are independent and a separate company.

Yes, I have also been told they have had translations returned for corrections.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

The translation service within the MFA building are independent and a separate company.

Yes, I have also been told they have had translations returned for corrections.

Would really suck if you translated in a different province and need a correction.

27 minutes ago, rabas said:

There is no official or reliable way to transliterate between Thai and English, or other languages, because there are many different systems. It's may be best to aim for a Thai spelling that sounds close to the average Thai. Long ago my name was 'officially' translated making two phonetic mistakes. Allan, my first name, was spelled like AL-LAN but a final L in Thai is pronounced 'N', so Thai read it as AN-LAN. Some transliterations confuse G and K and now I have a non-existent G in my last name.

Chaengwattana of immigration fame starts with J, jaw jan.

I disagree slightly.

A good translator will be well educated in the Thai language, which has certain rules applied especially when translating to English.

For example the general rule of 'i' before 'e', except after 'c' applies to English language and there are similar rules in the Thai language, which a well educated translator will be aware of.

17 hours ago, flexomike said:

I live in Rayong and got my pink ID card at the local Amphur office, have to have a yellow book, took about fifteen minutes, think i paid 50 baht, have used it for renewing dirvers license, ID at post office reduced rates at several National Parks, reduced rates at some tourist attractions for me it has been worthwhile, don't have to go to immigration for Residency Certificate

Interesting, seeing as I also live in Amphur Klaeng! But how did you get along with obtaining your yellow book from them? They made me go through the wringer 10 years ago by insisting on me going to the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain a certified copy of my passport, followed by much faffing about at the MFA until the translators lurking around there finally came up with a certified translation into Thai with which they were content, and then (as already stated) only to fall at the final fence when an observant official back at the amphur office spotted that the transliteration of my surname in the passport certified Thai translation didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien bahn!

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I ran my name thru Google Translate (English to Thai) and it matches exactly what the Yellow Book and Pink ID show for translation, so I must have one of the easier US names (First/Middle/Last) to translate......or the government is using Google Translate too ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:
19 hours ago, flexomike said:

I live in Rayong and got my pink ID card at the local Amphur office, have to have a yellow book, took about fifteen minutes, think i paid 50 baht, have used it for renewing dirvers license, ID at post office reduced rates at several National Parks, reduced rates at some tourist attractions for me it has been worthwhile, don't have to go to immigration for Residency Certificate

Interesting, seeing as I also live in Amphur Klaeng! But how did you get along with obtaining your yellow book from them? They made me go through the wringer 10 years ago by insisting on me going to the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain a certified copy of my passport, followed by much faffing about at the MFA until the translators lurking around there finally came up with a certified translation into Thai with which they were content, and then (as already stated) only to fall at the final fence when an observant official back at the amphur office spotted that the transliteration of my surname in the passport certified Thai translation didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien bahn!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. There is nothing unusual in your experience though. AND that is the exact reason why I always advice everyone to do their own translations of all the names involved. Learn to write your own name so to speak. Actually, they should force everyone to fill their own forms in thai when applying for the house book.

• Like 1