Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need a medical certificate when renewing your DL.

I have been asked for a medical certificate at least twice at the Nontaburi office. But the last time I had let the license expire.

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

he was being assisted by a friends wife.

Why does he need help to renew his DL?

Not all Land transport Offices have English speaking staff.

Not all expats speak Thai well enough to do it alone in Thai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

I have been asked for a medical certificate at least twice at the Nontaburi office. But the last time I had let the license expire.

Nowadays, if you do it on time, you don't need one. I know you used to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Not all Land transport Offices have English speaking staff.

Not all expats speak Thai well enough to do it alone in Thai.

I assumed if the guy had a yellow book, he'd have been here a while and been able to say, "I want to renew my DL".

I also assumed Pattaya would have English speaking staff.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

I needed it at the same office, for my Temp Drivers License and my Temp Motorcycle license, again for my renewal on my Drivers License as well. 

sofar, used the Pinky on many occasions, mostly hotels, SIM card purchase, post office (!) when sending small parcels to overseas etc.

question: a Pinky with an integrated, readable chip would be state-of-the-art: any news on that?

11 minutes ago, thurien said:

sofar, used the Pinky on many occasions, mostly hotels, SIM card purchase, post office (!) when sending small parcels to overseas etc.

I saw this question several times but didn't see any answer :mellow:: How can an hotel make the TM.30 declaration to immigration if you do not show them your passport? They need to provide details of your visa in the online system form.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:37 PM, Peterw42 said:

I suppose in theory you could leave the passport at home, catch a plane, operate a bank account, renew license etc, so long as you move everything over to, and use, your name in Thai.

(sorry about the emoji, I stare at her sometimes, lol)

Hi. I rather like your emoji... does she have a name?

I never managed to get a yellow book although I tried once. The lady in the office recognised my landlord (them having a history of past grievances over him getting a yellow book).

After that it was clear that I was not going to be successful as long as I lived in one of my landlords places.

The lady was very nice to me however and I understood that she liked me well enough.

I have got a Thai driving license which allows me to check in for all domestic flights. No passport required.

I have a few Thai bank accounts, a post paid cell phone account and a Thai credit card.

I also own a motorcycle with my name in the green book, obtained without the need of a Thai girlfriend/wife.

I am here on an OA retirement visa so don't work. All of my paperwork is in my English name. Thai naming was not required.

Sometimes it takes a while to achieve a result but if you are polite and determined then you usually succeed.

A friendly smile often unlocks doors closed to other people and I always remember that I am a guest in the Kingdom, not some kind of overlord.

Thai's can see this about me.

Edited by Billthekiwi
Addition for clarification.

I've has a pink ID card for over 2 years. Has limited use. My bank wont accept it as ID, have to produce my passport every time I do anything in the bank. Useful when traveling, All hotels I stay in accept it, never been asked to produce my passport by a hotel. Police in tourist areas seem to know what it is but I was stopped in the Trat region while driving and produced it instead of my passport. This caused some confusion as the officer had clearly never seen one before.

Most private venues accept it to give admission at the Thai price but not all government venues. I visit National parks frequently and that's hit and miss as to whether they let me in at Thai price. 

All in all its worth having just for the convenience of not having to carry your passport wherever you go.

I’ve got the pink ID since 2 years and as no. 143 in the country. Currently there is not much to do with it which will certainly change in the next few years. It shows your name in Thai which helps here and there sometimes, but I am googling the card benefits every few months and read that in the coming years the government will establish more points where the card can be used. Sometimes (but really just sometimes) I could use the „Thai lane“ at Suvarnabhumi airport, but that’s still a goodwill gesture of the ladies who check if you‘ve filled the arrival card, not yet a benefit as such...

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 4:18 PM, Pattaya46 said:

I saw this question several times but didn't see any answer :mellow:: How can an hotel make the TM.30 declaration to immigration if you do not show them your passport? They need to provide details of your visa in the online system form.

Dont know if this is accurate. I've stayed at various hotels/resorts etc over the last few years and always use my pink card, never had a problem and haven't even carried my PP for a long time. I asked a family friend who has a resort in Sa Keaw if there was a problem using the ID card and she told me there wasn't a problem, they didn't need to complete a TM30 if signing in with a pink ID  card, because an expat staying 'long term' didn't need to update there TM30 unless they had left the country. As I say, I don't know if this is correct or not but it's the answer I was given.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

I don't have one since I have never been successful with getting a yellow house book that is needed to get one.

Lets no forget we are officially known as Aliens, not of this Country .

Temporary guests. 

PS ,  i have a yellow book , under the counter , only 2K baht, using an agent

Good luck.

Edited by elliss

Happy to report to you all that I have successfully extended my 2 year driving license to a permanent 5 year DL in Bangkok this week by presenting only my pink ID and the yellow Tabien Baan. Passport was not even mentioned and the service was all smiles. Would have been a perfect day but the final officer, I guess the highest ranking, who prints the cards and takes photos demanded to see my workpermit, quite rudely too. I just laughed at her and said I have never worked in Thailand. Maybe she meant to ask my tabien baan but didn't even bother to look at the photo copies, the complete application. Quite a display of incompetence from her. I have grown used to it though. Every government office always seems to have somebody who just rudely demands passport and work permit from everyone and just loves to boss people around. Or maybe WP is the only thing they can say. Same story with the banks.. Well, it was a successful use of the day, most of it anyway.

What I found odd was that nobody even bothered to check if I am in the country legally.

BTW, renewing temporary licenses requires a medical certificate. Renewing the permanent ones does not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Happy to report to you all that I have successfully extended my 2 year driving license to a permanent 5 year DL in Bangkok this week by presenting only my pink ID and the yellow Tabien Baan. Passport was not even mentioned and the service was all smiles. Would have been a perfect day but the final officer, I guess the highest ranking, who prints the cards and takes photos demanded to see my workpermit, quite rudely too. I just laughed at her and said I have never worked in Thailand. Maybe she meant to ask my tabien baan but didn't even bother to look at the photo copies, the complete application. Quite a display of incompetence from her. I have grown used to it though. Every government office always seems to have somebody who just rudely demands passport and work permit from everyone and just loves to boss people around. Or maybe WP is the only thing they can say. Same story with the banks.. Well, it was a successful use of the day, most of it anyway.

What I found odd was that nobody even bothered to check if I am in the country legally.

BTW, renewing temporary licenses requires a medical certificate. Renewing the permanent ones does not.

Thanks for the report.

Interested to know, on license is your name in Thai and English or Thai Thai, . And is your pink ID number on license instead of passport number ?

Edited by Peterw42

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thanks for the report.

Interested to know, on license is your name in Thai and English or Thai Thai, . And is your pink ID number on license instead of passport number ?

Yes, the new format is name in thai/english, birthdate in thai/english and last is my ID number 13 digits. All the data was copied straight away from my ID card, also my new address was updated without need to mention. Data change is charged extra 50 thb. No questions asked. It only seemed the last officer had not read the latest memo/instructions for this. But all she had to do was input it in the system.

Edited by zhangxifu

28 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Yes, the new format is name in thai/english, birthdate in thai/english and last is my ID number 13 digits. All the data was copied straight away from my ID card, also my new address was updated without need to mention. Data change is charged extra 50 thb. No questions asked. It only seemed the last officer had not read the latest memo/instructions for this. But all she had to do was input it in the system.

Thanks, as I thought it would be but where did they get the English version of your name from ? 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thanks, as I thought it would be but where did they get the English version of your name from ? 

Probably from the driving licence application form you filled in. It would also be on file in their computer records from your previous application.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sumrit said:
40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Probably from the driving licence application form you filled in. It would also be on file in their computer records from your previous application.

Edited 21 minutes ago by sumrit

I filled everything in thai only, the application and medical cert. The name in english was in the previous license. Good question though as the english name must be inputed in the system for the first time as well.

The first desk at DLT prints out the complete application and it has my name in thai and english. And everyting else in only thai.

Edited by zhangxifu
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Can I ask at which DLT you do the new 5 year DL? 
Last time I was at Mo-Chit and they also used the yellow book and everything, but still wanted the passport as well so on the driver license is the passport number..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

Last time I was at Mo-Chit and they also used the yellow book and everything, but still wanted the passport as well so on the driver license is the passport number..

Did you supply a pink ID card as well as the yellow book? It's the ID card that replaces the passport in order to show your ID number, instead of your passport number, on your new DL. The Yellow book replaces your proof of residence.

Works exactly the same as it does for Thai nationals.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

There are four DLT locations in Bangkok. I think its possible to use any office though in the country. No matter what your permanent address is. It’s also best to learn to write your name in thai in the applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

There are four DLT locations in Bangkok. I think its possible to use any office though in the country. No matter what your permanent address is. It’s also best to learn to write your name in thai in the applications.

Do you have to fill in a form for a 5-year renewal?

I (and Thais) in Udon Thai just given a copy of house registration and ID per licence, the staff do everything else.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:05 PM, bluesofa said:
Do you have to fill in a form for a 5-year renewal?
I (and Thais) in Udon Thai just given a copy of house registration and ID per licence, the staff do everything else.

Yes, name must be filled in by hand on the vision test form. The main page of application is a printout which must be signed.

There are different kinds of forms though for different things and if you want to use pink ID card it would make sense to know how to write your name. It should be a requirement for getting one in my opinion.

Edited by zhangxifu

On 4/30/2019 at 11:10 PM, sandrabbit said:

only yellow book, my friend didn't have the pink id card, I'm due in January but will get pink first but go to Klaeng not Rayong. 

I got mine in Klaeng with just the yellow book,  no problem 

15 minutes ago, flexomike said:
On 4/30/2019 at 11:10 PM, sandrabbit said:

only yellow book, my friend didn't have the pink id card, I'm due in January but will get pink first but go to Klaeng not Rayong. 

I got mine in Klaeng with just the yellow book,  no problem 

In that case you must have used your passport for photo id? Does your DL now have your name in Thai and English? And your passport number or the ID-13 digits?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, zhangxifu said:

This has already been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Did you take your passport to the office?

Edited by Neeranam

37 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

In that case you must have used your passport for photo id? Does your DL now have your name in Thai and English? And your passport number or the ID-13 digits?

Tabien Baan for proof of address, but Passport for proof ID probably.

The name and address will always be in Thai and English, with either a Tabien Baan or Certificate of residence as the proof.

The ID number will be different depending on whether you used your Passport or Thai ID card.

Tabien Baan for proof of address, but Passport for proof ID probably.

The name and address will always be in Thai and English, with either a Tabien Baan or Certificate of residence as the proof.
The ID number will be different depending on whether you used your Passport or Thai ID card.

1. Wrong. If only passport used there is no Thai name in DL only English

2. Wrong. ID-13 could have been copied from TB just as you assumed in number 1 for the thai name to be copied from TB. But that is not the case always.

Please let flexiomike to tell us what he did.