Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

4 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Oh yes it is.

In your opinion.

Stateless people can't get PR

I never said there was.

Hence why a stateless person cannot use it outside of the province where it was obtained. 

Keep yer knickers on Peter and get yer facts right before jumping on someone.

There is no law that would make the pink ID not valid in parts of Thailand. If you move though, you must update your address in the census. In other words you must leave your old address and bring that document to the new office. After that you will receive a new pinkID.

47 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

my Tha driving licence has always done

At the end of the day the police can't be bothered with farang. You are not what they are after. A wind down of the window decides that, and a wave on is the norm.

I live in Rayong and got my pink ID card at the local Amphur office, have to have a yellow book, took about fifteen minutes, think i paid 50 baht, have used it for renewing dirvers license, ID at post office reduced rates at several National Parks, reduced rates at some tourist attractions for me it has been worthwhile, don't have to go to immigration for Residency Certificate

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Could be, but not sure

They write "ประจำตัวประชาชน", which is commonly used as the name for the Thai national ID card, this is correct.

But you find official pages which add the word "Thai" to it, so it becomes "บัตรประชาชนไทย" and makes 100% clear that this means the ID card for Thai citizens. This somehow implies that at least the persons who wrote those texts think "บัตรประชาชน" could also refer to ID cards in general and then the first point on this card would indeed mean "This is not an ID card".

Good point. But the very top of the card's front says "bat pra jam tua" khon sung mai me san chat thai - "ID card for people who do not have Thai nationality". 

Thus it is an ID card. For foreigners.

Then reverse clause 1 would mean it's an ID card but not for ประชาชน pra cha chon, which commonly refers to Thai but you're right the lack of "Thai" leaves slight wiggle room, which the average Thai might not get either.

Edited by rabas

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:
4 hours ago, rabas said:

thaiidrev.jpg.578b3e079707ec080896b0ac046c6b04.jpg

Starting second line of 3rd clause wen ta phu sung mee ....  dang dao.  roughly translates as "except people who possess important personal documentation of (being) a foreigner.

No, it says except people who have a certificate of alien registration, a form that migrant workers can get if they remain in Thailand a long time. Non-migrant workers can not get this documentation.

Yes, that is what it says on the second last line. Do you know what this certificate is and what does it look like? I would guess people with alienID number are registered aliens. And maybe the stateless people without any IDs might get this card without the alienID number? At least you have the housebook as well. Do stateless persons get housebooks if living in refugee camps?

On the last line it says or another kind of document as a permit (for travel).

3, first line states this named person is not allowed to leave the area where this card is issued.
(it could be understood as the office where its made if it made any sense)

2, keep in person at all times.

1, this is not a thai nationality card.

I can't imagine foreigners with other pieces of ID would have any problems travelling all over Thailand, it is great as ID as everyone in thailand must carry an ID. I wouldn't fly with it as the name is only in thai font. I fly domestic with the DL all the time.

2 hours ago, TPI said:
3 hours ago, Bertil said:

I had use for yellow book (tabien baan) / pink ID card quite a few times.

E.g.

Registration of my newborn baby at government hospital, with me as the father. Yellow book. (Didn't have the ID card in the beginning.)

Renewal of Thai driver's license. Yellow book.

Membership card at Suan Siam (Siam Park City), with free entries for one year. It was advertised as being available only to Thai residents. Pink ID card.

Many places with dual pricing, for example Suan Nong Nooch. Pink ID card. (Some places might accept a Thai driver's license, others not.)

Tried to use my pink ID card to open a new bank account, they wanted a work permit though (which I had), so that was the only time I failed to do something with the ID card.

You don't need a WP to open a bank account!

That's right! I think it's the only document they know how to say in english.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

This card was made for people who stay in the country illegally and then somebody got the idea to just hand out the same card to other foreigners, so some things don't make sense.

The back side of the card:

1. This is not an ID card

2. You have to stay in your area and be ready for inspection all the time

3. The holder of this card is forbidden to leave the area of where this card was issued, unless he one of two types of documents (non of them is a passport, i don't know what they are and your typicial Thai will also not know what they are), or a special permit.

So actually it should not be possible to register a vehicle, get a driving license or open a bank account with this card alone, because to do this you have to present an ID card, which this card is not.

If you are refused to board an airplane when showing this card the checkin staff did everything right, because the card itself tells him that you are not allowed to leave your area.

This is at least the "official" part of it. Inofficially it may be possible to use this card for different purposes, but this is then mostly because the person to who you give this card has no idea what this card is, but understands that it's an official document and to not lose face they do what you expect them to do.

You are wrong in the first point. It says this is not a thai national card. It for sure is and ID card.

Pink card states this is ID for people who have no thai nationality, on it's first line. On the second line mine has alien ID number, which not all the cards might have. Under it, it states general alien. It suggests at least that there could be other types of alien classifications. Here you can read about the other categories. Stateless persons, alien work force etc..

http://www.mol.go.th/academician/basic_alien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is an example of a different alien status ID with different ID number format.

Rules are very complicated but I have so far discovered that if the 13 digit code starts with 6, it means they have house book issued or are illegal alien. Numbers starting with 6 or 0 are temporary categories. The rest have permanent right for residence.
79491.thumb.jpg.a226b771d5fd069f89ef4a845e56a672.jpg

Edited by zhangxifu
  • Like 1

Came in really handy for us the other day.

The wife was driving and speeding on the H2, going north to Nong Khai. We were pulled over the the province border check-point. Mr Policeman, said we we doing 120kmh. I said it was just over 80kmh. Mr Policeman wanted 1000 baht. I flashed my ID and he dropped the 'fine' to 200 baht; effortlessly slipped under his clip board. And on our way we went.

I have tried to explain those funny digits that tell you how fast the pick-up is going to the wife. I think she is beginning to understand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Here is an example of a different alien status ID with different ID number format.

Rules are very complicated but I have so far discovered that if the 13 digit code starts with 6, it means they have house book issued.

Yes That right

00 is for Burmese condo builders

1-5 is Thai nationals of different status, born thai, not registered a birth, citizenship from parents etc.

6 is ex-pats with longstay visa etc

7 is for children of expats.

8 is for permanent residents

4 hours ago, TPI said:

You don't need a WP to open a bank account!

Well, it's true that some banks (branches) just want to see a passport, and some banks want a work permit + passport.

It doesn't really matter, because, as I said, I have one.

Anyway, that was not the point of my post; I wanted to show that it can be quite useful with a yellow tabien baan / pink ID card.

And no problems using the ID card in other provinces, contrary to what someone said earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

For those who still insist you cant travel or use the pink ID in another province. Here is a brief history of places all over thailand I have used a Pink ID from Pattaya

Bangkok, checked into flights.

Phuket checked into hotels, flights and bought a SIM card.

Chiang Mai, checked into hotels, flights and went to hospital (throwing up bug)

Samut Sahkon, given to land office (copied) when wife refinanced her house and I signed away marital rights.

Kanchanaburi, Thai price to a tourist place.

This absolute rubbish that the pink ID cannot be used outside of issuing province is just that, RUBBISH.

Regurgitated, a guy in a bar told me , stuff.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Having revisited my local Amphur, I would like to clarify a point.

The ID Card can be used "anywhere" in Thailand, the out of province aspect, previously discussed, is related to moving to that province (not just traveling), in which case the ID card would be invalid as the address recorded on it would no longer be valid.A new card with updated address would be required.Then its use would carry on as before with valid information.

My pink card is different to my yellow house book. Are you saying I can't use my card outside where it was issued?

What can it be used for? Opening a bank account? I'm sure I could do this anywhere. Getting in a national park for the Thai discount, not applicable. 

Proof of id in a hotel, not applicable. 

What else is there? Like I said before, no use for reneweing driver's license.

Registering for a hospital can be done with a passport these days, but I think I could use my card anywhere.

Again, this card really means nothing, and if you move province, it's not worth changing it.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My pink card is different to my yellow house book. Are you saying I can't use my card outside where it was issued?

What can it be used for? Opening a bank account? I'm sure I could do this anywhere. Getting in a national park for the Thai discount, not applicable. 

Registering for a hospital can be done with a passport these days, but I think I could use my card anywhere.

Again, this card really means nothing, and if you move province, it's not worth changing it.

Thats NOT what I have said and the other points have been covered by others who have used it for those things that you, for whatever reason, were unable to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
41 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Having revisited my local Amphur, I would like to clarify a point.

The ID Card can be used "anywhere" in Thailand, the out of province aspect, previously discussed, is related to moving to that province (not just traveling), in which case the ID card would be invalid as the address recorded on it would no longer be valid.A new card with updated address would be required.Then its use would carry on as before with valid information.

How is your pink card different to your house book? Is it outdated? If you move you will be issued a new house book following a new pink card.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats NOT what I have said and the other points have been covered by others who have used it for those things that you, for whatever reason, were unable to.

Others have used it to renew their drivers license? I don't think this is possible.

Like the Thai ID card, I think it doesn't matter where you are registered in the yellow book. I'd card and house book are totally separate. The nonsense on the back refers to migrant workers but they forgot to take it off for expats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

How is your pink card different to your house book? Is it outdated? If you move you will be issued a new house book following a new pink card.

Not outdated. After getting my pink card, I moved my house book to Bangkok. I never wanted to change my pink card, as there is no point. However, I never actually lived where my house book says, as this is not a requirement. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Others have used it to renew their drivers license? I don't think this is possible.

Like the Thai ID card, I think it doesn't matter where you are registered in the yellow book. I'd card and house book are totally separate. The nonsense on the back refers to migrant workers but they forgot to take it off for expats.

I can only state MY experience and that is the information on the ID card is taken directly from the Yellow book.

Therefore the information matches identically. What happened on older cards in previous years, I have no knowledge.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes That right

1-5 is Thai nationals of different status, born thai, not registered a birth, citizenship from parents etc.

There must be a category such as illegal alien who's ID number starts with six or some other status before that which would explain the travel restriction, point 3 in the card.

Some general labour law which prohibits all movement from the area mentioned in the work permit would be ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes That right

It gets a bit confusing as there are some born before 1973, when being born in Thailand gave automatic Thai citizenship. However after a decree, the law wasn't changed until 2008.

Edited by Neeranam

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
35 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Not outdated. After getting my pink card, I moved my house book to Bangkok. I never wanted to change my pink card, as there is no point. However, I never actually lived where my house book says, as this is not a requirement. 

Isn't it quite pointless not to update the ID card to match the housebook? I thought the point was to have the proof of address for DL, vehicles, internet. I would imagine both, house book and ID card are needed in those contracts. Why else to bother?

8 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Isn't it quite pointless not to update the ID card to match the housebook? I thought the point was to have the proof of address for DL, vehicles, internet. I would imagine both, house book and ID card are needed in those contracts. Why else to bother?

Actually, I recently renewed my DL. They wouldn't accept the pink card, from the same province, but accepted the house book from another province. 

However, looking at my DL now, it has the number of my old passport and not the national ID number. It also has the address on my pink card, but not my yellow book. I think they must use the same info from the last time I renewed it.

It also has a scannable code on it, which I never noticed.

I bought a car and have 2 internet providers and never used the pink card.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, I recently renewed my DL. They wouldn't accept the pink card, from the same province, but accepted the house book from another province. 

However, looking at my DL now, it has the number of my old passport and not the national ID number. It also has the address on my pink card, but not my yellow book. I think they must use the same info from the last time I renewed it.

I noticed my Thai Temp Drivers License had my Passport Number as the ID number for the license, but my new 5 year renewal license has the ID number from my Pink Card. Keep in mind that the Yellow Book also has the same number used on the Pink Card, at least in my case.

18 minutes ago, ocddave said:
33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I noticed my Thai Temp Drivers License had my Passport Number as the ID number for the license, but my new 5 year renewal license has the ID number from my Pink Card. Keep in mind that the Yellow Book also has the same number used on the Pink Card, at least in my case.

That's right. Both hold the exactly same data and are issued as a combo. But Neeranam don't like to use his pink card. And there is no need to, cos the house book can do all the same and more. Personally, I just find it easier to show the pink card at bigC rather than the house book.

1 hour ago, ocddave said:
1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

My first "temporary" Thai driver's license had my passport number as ID. The following 5-year license had my Thai ID-number from my yellow house book. Next 5-year license had my passport number, even I used my yellow house book as proof of address.

When changing passport one need to visit the Land Transport Office and get a new DL with the new passport number. I changed passport, and checked with the local Land Transport Office, I needed to update my DL. It seems like procedures for DL is quite similar nationwide, so I believe its a general demand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

My first "temporary" Thai driver's license had my passport number as ID. The following 5-year license had my Thai ID-number from my yellow house book. Next 5-year license had my passport number, even I used my yellow house book as proof of address.

When changing passport one need to visit the Land Transport Office and get a new DL with the new passport number. I changed passport, and checked with the local Land Transport Office, I needed to update my DL. It seems like procedures for DL is quite similar nationwide, so I believe its a general demand.

When I did my Drivers License Renewal they actually took my Pink ID card, so not really sure if they were taking the number from the Yellow Book copies, or the Pink ID card itself. But my wife and I both went in the same time to renew, she handed in her Thai ID and Previous License, I handed in my Pink ID and Previous License. So i assume they were using the Pink ID card when doing the renewal for me. It will be 5 more years before I can see what happens next ????  ....though I do have to renew my Motorcycle license in Sept 2020.

Edited by ocddave
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I've changed my passport twice in the last 3 years and 4 times in total, and never went to the transport office. Strange that they just used the info from my previous one, despite me giving them my new passport and house book with a different address in a different province.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1