Anger over Brexit sparks new grassroots drive for Scottish independence

webfact

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A GE is a bit academic as the referendum bill would be pushed through by the Scottish parliament and they are in place till 2021,

A GE could alter the outcome if a new government was less autocratic.

I don't think you have to be Mystic Meg to see the Tories and Labour take a hiding, why would Scotland be any different.

Agreed. I'm just trying to balance the equation although I would say loosing councilors in a council election doesn't equate to loosing a third of your parliamentary seats and the driving force of four of the most senior politicians in the SNP.

To put it in a UK context, what do you think the reaction would be to a UK majority party loosing a third of its seats in a GE...ie--over 100 seats.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give it a rest, one politician is not a party, about every party in the land has had its black sheep at one time or another.
If alleged or proven offences against a politician were an impediment to voting for a party, then voting would have come to an end a long time ago.
Sandyf..
Salmond was the one who was gonna lead you all to the land of milk and honey.
Now wee nippy sweetie is trying to emulate him.
Sad sad..
Will be a good laugh when the snp come out their " way forward " economic plans.
Tax..tax..tax..borrow..borrow..borrow.
Greece without the sun, hoping that if the eu is still in existance, the German taxpayers will take pity on you and let scotland use the eu atm machine over in brussels.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

54 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Sandyf..
Salmond was the one who was gonna lead you all to the land of milk and honey.
Now wee nippy sweetie is trying to emulate him.
Sad sad..
Will be a good laugh when the snp come out their " way forward " economic plans.
Tax..tax..tax..borrow..borrow..borrow.
Greece without the sun, hoping that if the eu is still in existance, the German taxpayers will take pity on you and let scotland use the eu atm machine over in brussels.

the SNP and irish are as good a reason as any brexit hasnt happened,you just can see it,no party is going to risk breaking up your beloved UK,has the penny still not dropped

the SNP and irish are as good a reason as any brexit hasnt happened,you just can see it,no party is going to risk breaking up your beloved UK,has the penny still not dropped
The snp are but a festering sore..independance..no chance..do you really think people will vote for independance knowing that approx 70% of their wages will go on various taxes.
Wee sturgface is slowly going the same way as terresa the appeasa..
To a sticky end
Have s good day old boy

4 hours ago, malagateddy said:

The snp are but a festering sore..independance..no chance..do you really think people will vote for independance knowing that approx 70% of their wages will go on various taxes.
Wee sturgface is slowly going the same way as terresa the appeasa..
To a sticky end
Have s good day old boy

worst case of project fear ive ever seen. 

Agreed. I'm just trying to balance the equation although I would say loosing councilors in a council election doesn't equate to loosing a third of your parliamentary seats and the driving force of four of the most senior politicians in the SNP.
To put it in a UK context, what do you think the reaction would be to a UK majority party loosing a third of its seats in a GE...ie--over 100 seats.
Let's add some common sense to your point - the situation going into the 2017 GE was the anomaly, not its outcome. The 2015 result was not a credible picture of Scottish politics and the result whereby the SNP took 55 of 59 constituencies took everyone by surprise, including the SNP.

2017 was more of a correction than a rejection of the SNP. The fact remains - after a decade in power, the electorate still trusts them far more than any other party.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, malagateddy said:
R/r..

Can you remember the man due to appear quite soon in court on the following charges,
2 attempted rapes
7 attempted sexual assaults
2 attempted indecent assaults
1 breach of the peace,
telling all and sundry on tv before indyref 1 about the just wonderful Gers figures..knowing full well he WAS LYING thro his back teeth.
Happily he was shown up to be a sociopath.

Ps..his name is alex salmond..former leader of the snp and former 1st minister.

Teddy, pal, the objective of virtually all independence supporters is not the elevation of a single man or woman - neither Salmond nor Sturgeon are independence. They may be players in the journey but they are not the destination.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, geoffbezoz said:

if the Brexit morons do get their way then good luck to you in another referendum, leave the Eton educated fools behind and the Union. 

As of 31 April 2019, there were no "Eton educated fools" in the UK Cabinet. (There is now one, following the ouster of Williamson).

You should be calling them "grammar school and minor public school educated fools" or "Oxford and Cambridge educated fools" instead.

10 hours ago, malagateddy said:

.independance..no chance..do you really think people will vote for independance knowing that approx 70% of their wages will go on various taxes.

Did it stop people voting for the so called "brexit independence"

You are so hung up on one politician you cannot see the wood from the trees.

Did it stop people voting for the so called "brexit independence"

You are so hung up on one politician you cannot see the wood from the trees.

17.4 million people voted LEAVE for many many different reasons.

"Hung up " etc. .....
If you are referring to soapy salmond..can you not even admit that oh so many of the rank and file of the snp membership..and many other imo English/British hating snp supporting and rancid republicans just hung on to his every word..his every utterence for quite a number of years.
I can most certainly see the wood from the trees.
20/20 vision actually..as every years..I get a full medical check up.
Thanks for your concern.
Have a lovely day.tapatalk_1556804328843.jpeg

17 hours ago, aright said:

Depends on which point of view you want to take, to most Scots the Scottish parliament is more of a concern than Westminster. In Westminster the SNP only affect the arithmetic, nobody pays much attention to what they say and most Scots are perfectly aware of that.

You only had to see TM response to the conservative MPs question on the Cromdale fire. In a similar incident on Saddleworth last year national resources were deployed, the people of Cromdale and surrounding area could have choked to death for all the concern TM showed.

Yesterday's 'All Under One Banner' march through Glasgow yesterday. Estimates of attendance vary but appears to have been between 35k and 100k people marching to show their support for Scottish independence (credit for photo to @GeordieGhirl88). 

D5wfCiDWsAAWMXu.jpg

6 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

17.4 million people voted LEAVE for many many different reasons.

"Hung up " etc. .....
If you are referring to soapy salmond..can you not even admit that oh so many of the rank and file of the snp membership..and many other imo English/British hating snp supporting and rancid republicans just hung on to his every word..his every utterence for quite a number of years.

People voted for the "brexit independence" irrespective of the cost, but you are blind to that happening anywhere else.

There is no dispute the Salmond rhetoric brought about a following in the younger generations but in his actions in the early years would have branded him a terrorist in this day and age, something the older voters are not going to forget.

You are blind to the opening his departure "may" have created.

I say "may" as the older voters may have to die off before the legacy is eradicated, there is little doubt that at some point in the future Scotland will become independent. TM is doing all she can to make it sooner rather than later, something else you need to "see".

59 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

As of 31 April 2019, there were no "Eton educated fools" in the UK Cabinet. (There is now one, following the ouster of Williamson).

You should be calling them "grammar school and minor public school educated fools" or "Oxford and Cambridge educated fools" instead.

No "Eton educated fools" in the UK Cabinet? That's why we're in this mess then! Change the guard!

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yesterday's 'All Under One Banner' march through Glasgow yesterday. Estimates of attendance vary but appears to have been between 35k and 100k people marching to show their support for Scottish independence (credit for photo to @GeordieGhirl88). 

D5wfCiDWsAAWMXu.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/gallery/2019/may/04/thousands-march-for-scottish-independence-in-pictures

D5wfCiDWsAAWMXu.jpg.a562e8a8cb4be8b1fe14504b967419ba.jpg
Who really gives a flying whoopsie???
Just wish it had been a cold..rainy day.
R/r...
Can you remember an old nursery rhyme.
The grand id duke of york
He had so many men
He marched them up to the top of the hill.
Then marched them down again...

Then what???
NOTHING..

Substitute sturgeon for duke of york and you've got it in one

Have a great day

People voted for the "brexit independence" irrespective of the cost, but you are blind to that happening anywhere else.

There is no dispute the Salmond rhetoric brought about a following in the younger generations but in his actions in the early years would have branded him a terrorist in this day and age, something the older voters are not going to forget.
You are blind to the opening his departure "may" have created.

I say "may" as the older voters may have to die off before the legacy is eradicated, there is little doubt that at some point in the future Scotland will become independent. TM is doing all she can to make it sooner rather than later, something else you need to "see".
Take it you are referring to the 79 group..
Shower of rebel scum imo

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Let's add some common sense to your point - the situation going into the 2017 GE was the anomaly, not its outcome. The 2015 result was not a credible picture of Scottish politics and the result whereby the SNP took 55 of 59 constituencies took everyone by surprise, including the SNP.

2017 was more of a correction than a rejection of the SNP. The fact remains - after a decade in power, the electorate still trusts them far more than any other party.

Thanks for that. Using your logic and common sense I have managed to convince my Glasgow friends that Celtic didn't win the Scottish Premiership last year.

Published yesterday & presumably of interest to this board:
[/url]  
I like this - sensible, grown up thinking, unclouded by sentimentality:

"3.22.6 With an Independent England the United Kingdom would cease, we would seek a new special relationship between the nations of the former UK. This could be pursued through a Council of the Isles, an organisation like the Nordic Council in which all members are treated as equals. Representatives serving on the Council would seek areas where members could co-operate for their mutual benefit."

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I like this - sensible, grown up thinking, unclouded by sentimentality:

"3.22.6 With an Independent England the United Kingdom would cease, we would seek a new special relationship between the nations of the former UK. This could be pursued through a Council of the Isles, an organisation like the Nordic Council in which all members are treated as equals. Representatives serving on the Council would seek areas where members could co-operate for their mutual benefit."

"For those of us who like their politics, at least at the leadership end of it, red in tooth and claw, the return of Ruth Davidson to the parliamentary fray was something well worth looking forward to. Absent on maternity leave for the last six months, the Scottish Conservative leader had made quite a name for herself in roughing up First Minister Nicola Sturgeon at their weekly Question Time joust."

https://flipboard.com/@TheTelegraph/ruth-davidson's-measured-return-to-holyrood-proves-she's-no-one-trick-pony/a-zRTwoleHTTuVgFEI_b1Pyg%3Aa%3A3199678-991f8698c7/co.uk

1 hour ago, aright said:

"For those of us who like their politics, at least at the leadership end of it, red in tooth and claw, the return of Ruth Davidson to the parliamentary fray was something well worth looking forward to. Absent on maternity leave for the last six months, the Scottish Conservative leader had made quite a name for herself in roughing up First Minister Nicola Sturgeon at their weekly Question Time joust."

https://flipboard.com/@TheTelegraph/ruth-davidson's-measured-return-to-holyrood-proves-she's-no-one-trick-pony/a-zRTwoleHTTuVgFEI_b1Pyg%3Aa%3A3199678-991f8698c7/co.uk

CiBOtuQUYAARZM5.jpg

Archived