Better keep your windows closed if you don't want uninvited guests.

Crossy

I hope you took out the wire support her nest was resting on as well as the nest otherwise she will be very confused and have to start building the house again :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

You don't have screens on your house windows?

Nope, not a one and no bars either (it's not like anything is locked anyway).

The main rooms have those dangly fly screen thingies on the windows and doors to discourage the small birds from making nests in the light fittings but no mozzie stoppers.

Once it gets dark and the biters come out we retreat to the lounge which is aircon and closed up by then otherwise we are outside (shaded but no walls).

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The main rooms have those dangly fly screen thingies on the windows and doors to discourage the small birds from making nests in the light fittings but no mozzie stoppers.

Once it gets dark and the biters come out we retreat to the lounge which is aircon and closed up by then otherwise we are outside (shaded but no walls).

Why's that? We are outside 6am to 8pm but have mozzie screens on house doors and windows (we have window bars too from when we were only here once a year). Our our only aircon is the bedrooms but it's common sense to keep mozzies out of the house surely?

Edited by grollies
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, grollies said:

but it's common sense to keep mozzies out of the house surely?

Indeed, we rarely see a mozzie in the house. Evidently what we do keeps them out (or the daytime ones steer clear).

Since we've lived in Thailand and the Far East we have never had mozzie screens and never had an issue. I did get dengue in Delhi, but that was from the undercroft of a metro station that was thick with the beasties (Indian mozzies like deet).

EDIT I absolutely would not be sleeping unprotected outside, nets and repellent are an absolute. But our lifestyle means we don't have an issue.

• Like 2

We have mozzie screens in my GF's house because she is a mosquito magnet. Sweet blood, apparently. Chiang Rai area, surrounded by rice fields. They would be as thick as Australian bushflies if we gave them the chance.

windows and doors closed with heavy black out curtains in the bedroom with AC at full blast...tutsi is under the covers with his kindle and any unwanted intrusion insect human or otherwise is met with a flame thrower...very low tech but effective...

the stepdaughter folds her arms and cocks her hip 'but tutsi I thought that yew liked them singin' 

birds on the terrace outside yer window' and then tutsi gets all Ralph Kramden and sez 'better get outta here or I'll set yer fat ass aflame!!!'...'falang baa! my ass is not fat just generously proportioned...and btw we're gonna need some extra dinero/kotang fer this and that'

arrgh...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

I would be more concerned about snakes coming in if you dont have screens. I have screens on all windows and doors to prevent mozzies and snakes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Nah, they're ok unless the doors are shut.

No worries bout the spirits. If you remove your tail light bulbs, they can't follow you home. Problem solved.

• Haha 2

Anyone else got the electronic pest repellers you plug in the wall socket and they transmit a frequency around the house electric ring main? We never get bugs at all inside, except when there's a crazy hatch going on somewhere. Even small moths and beetles get to our terrace and forget how to fly if they stay a minute or two. They just flutter around on the floor until I move them down the garden. 

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

windows and doors closed with heavy black out curtains in the bedroom with AC at full blast...tutsi is under the covers with his kindle and any unwanted intrusion insect human or otherwise is met with a flame thrower...very low tech but effective...

the stepdaughter folds her arms and cocks her hip 'but tutsi I thought that yew liked them singin' 

birds on the terrace outside yer window' and then tutsi gets all Ralph Kramden and sez 'better get outta here or I'll set yer fat ass aflame!!!'...'falang baa! my ass is not fat just generously proportioned...and btw we're gonna need some extra dinero/kotang fer this and that'

arrgh...

your'e  truly  mad Tutsi????

My Mrs found a Centipede in the on suite bathroom last night, it was about 4 or 5 inches long, she was shitting bricks, I was watching a movie with me headphones on so couldn't hear her screaming her head off and asking me to bring the Chaindrite spray ????

I don't know where it came from as we have mossy screens on all windows, maybe up a drain that never gets any water down it, the shower drain has a very fine mesh cover on it so not from there.

Anyhow I found it and flushed it down the bog, problem solved.

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Anyhow I found it and flushed it down the bog, problem solved.

Meanwhile it's lounging in your septic gorging on who knows what, in a few weeks it will be back for revenge!

The big chaps bite like heck.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile it's lounging in your septic gorging on who knows what, in a few weeks it will be back for revenge!

The big chaps bite like heck.

I didn't know they can swim ????

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Best I don't show this to the Mrs, she would have us moving house tomorrow ???? Funnily enough after your last reply I was Googling to find out if they could swim, now I'm seriously worried LOL

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, manchega said:

has pollution improved in your area crossy?

Currently Thai AQI has PM2.5 at 65 "Moderate" at Rangsit University, much better than it has been, we really need more rain.

6 hours ago, davidst01 said:

I would be more concerned about snakes coming in if you dont have screens. I have screens on all windows and doors to prevent mozzies and snakes

I agree!  Not only snakes but also centipedes.

Unfortunately it's not possible to put screens on my patio doors, and I suspect this is the access point for most of the occasional snakes in my house - not to mention the bloody mossies ☹️!

I can understand why the OP doesn't want birds nesting in his bathroom, but I think it's amazing that they trust him so much ????.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Be afraid, be very afraid!

My brother was bitten on two separate occasions by centipedes, both times during the night when they snuggled into his armpit for heat (as he used aircon).

He told me the pain was extremely bad, and so consequently I'm even more worried about centipedes than snakes!