Low-income households struggle under rapidly mounting debt

webfact

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

They numero uno in the gini figures yet? Making real good progress at least. Burgeoning middle class my arse.

When you regularly see cars driving around Bangkok that cost more (multiple times more) than the average Middle-Class family's Thai home, you know something is seriously wrong in the Land-of-Smiles.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, Cadbury said:

One day the junta house of cards will come tumbling down.

One can hope. I've heard the 90's were a treat for those with cold hard cash from outside Thailand. My late German FIL built a nice house in sticks for around 12k DEM, if I remember right. Suddenly farangs would be welcome again. Bring it on.

3 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Wrong, Gold has never kept up to Inflation, the most worthless investment you could make.

It's not about profits when the financial system is crashing, it's about protecting wealth. Government bonds tend to go up, too, as they are backed by guns and tanks. Problem with physical gold is storing it securely. 

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm in debt, I owe 1.2M on my house.

You presumably have proved that you can afford the repayments and were able to offer adequate security.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's not about profits when the financial system is crashing, it's about protecting wealth. Government bonds tend to go up, too, as they are backed by guns and tanks. Problem with physical gold is storing it securely. 

Just buy into traditional long term stocks when the market crashes, then sit back and smile, I'll enjoy my short-term Ramen meals ???? Some  of the wealthiest people in the world made a fortune buying stocks during a crash, timing is important, and available cash on hand to do so.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, gunderhill said:

Says a  man who saved for it and worked hard for it over 70hrs a  week over 40 years then ...yes. 

You get nowt for owt, people  need to remember  that.

I'd like to see you work 70 hours a week over 40 years for 380 baht per day.

On 4/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, Lacessit said:

The last time I was in debt was 1974, when I bought a new Honda Civic for travel to work. No public transport. My other assets were not readily cashed out.

Traditionally, cars are a bad investment due to depreciation. After 100,000 km, I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it new. Could not have done that with a larger vehicle.

I agree opportunity for young people has declined quite markedly. However, I ensured my financial security by going to work in a remote area of Australia. If one wants to get ahead, one has to be prepared to sacrifice personal comfort. The place had no TV,  and only one hour of radio in the evening. I made my own entertainment. Fishing, golfing and reading.

You seem to compare your situation to the plight of very poor people with nowhere near the same opportunities as you had. Apples and oranges.

43 minutes ago, bergan said:

You seem to compare your situation to the plight of very poor people with nowhere near the same opportunities as you had. Apples and oranges.

What are you talking about? I've been in an East Timor village where the only source of income for the entire village was bags of salt at 5 cents each. While I'm sure there are quite a few people in Australia living in poverty, they simply can't compare with that.

Education is the key. Learn the best skills you can for what is current, and work hard from there.

Just now, Lacessit said:

What are you talking about? I've been in an East Timor village where the only source of income for the entire village was bags of salt at 5 cents each. While I'm sure there are quite a few people in Australia living in poverty, they simply can't compare with that.

Education is the key. Learn the best skills you can for what is current, and work hard from there.

What world do you live in, where poor Isaan people have great opportunities for learning the best skills? I'm not a teacher anymore, but the Head of the English department couldn't even converse in English at the school I worked at for a year. And this was a school with 2,000 students! Sure, you will have some students who can excel, but comparing it to your home country is comparing apples with oranges.

1 minute ago, bergan said:

What world do you live in, where poor Isaan people have great opportunities for learning the best skills? I'm not a teacher anymore, but the Head of the English department couldn't even converse in English at the school I worked at for a year. And this was a school with 2,000 students! Sure, you will have some students who can excel, but comparing it to your home country is comparing apples with oranges.

I'm confused. When did I say I was comparing my situation with an Isaan school? Sounds to me we are talking about different things.

Just now, bergan said:

This is the way the Elite HI-SO's want it to remain, the less educated the poor people are, the better. The FFP is what happens when people start to think outside of the box, just imagine if the whole country had a proper educational system.....Anarchy! 

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm confused. When did I say I was comparing my situation with an Isaan school? Sounds to me we are talking about different things.

You said that education is key. My point was that education in Isaan, apart from places you pay dearly for, for the most part is horrendous. And what's even worse, is that most people have to pay a lot of money to get full-time positions, especially positions at government bodies who pay a low salary - 380 baht per day doesn't apply to Isaan. Even if you're overqualified, you still have to pay money to get the job.

50 minutes ago, ocddave said:

This is the way the Elite HI-SO's want it to remain, the less educated the poor people are, the better. The FFP is what happens when people start to think outside of the box, just imagine if the whole country had a proper educational system.....Anarchy! 

I wouldn't be surprised if a revolution is coming.

1 hour ago, bergan said:

You said that education is key. My point was that education in Isaan, apart from places you pay dearly for, for the most part is horrendous. And what's even worse, is that most people have to pay a lot of money to get full-time positions, especially positions at government bodies who pay a low salary - 380 baht per day doesn't apply to Isaan. Even if you're overqualified, you still have to pay money to get the job.

I was talking about education in Australia. Even a hermit knows education in Thailand is pitiful.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was talking about education in Australia. Even a hermit knows education in Thailand is pitiful.

Yes, and you were talking about opportunities and working hard. You honestly think you have the same opportunities here in Isaan if you work hard? That would be delusional at best.

1 minute ago, bergan said:

Yes, and you were talking about opportunities and working hard. You honestly think you have the same opportunities here in Isaan if you work hard? That would be delusional at best.

We are quite evidently talking about different things. I'll leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We are quite evidently talking about different things. I'll leave it at that.

We definitely are, I read your first post (well, the one I commented on first) too quickly. Lord Archa led me astray, apologies for that.

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Also, there was a time when companies used to train people.  

True. I did night school while working as a trainee. Company paid the fees. I paid for the textbooks. A fair deal.

Archived