Former Minnesota policeman convicted in fatal shooting of Australian woman

webfact

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Mohamed Noor walks out of the courthouse during a recess on the first day of opening arguments of his trial, charged in the 2017 fatal shooting of 40-year-old Australian woman Justine Ruszczyk Damond, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S., April 9, 2019. REUTERS/Adam Bettcher

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - A former Minneapolis policeman was found guilty on Tuesday of murder for fatally shooting Australian national Justine Ruszczyk Damond from his patrol car while responding to her 2015 report of a possible sex assault near her home.

I'm left confused by this Reuters report.

Firstly it says '2017 fatal shooting', then goes on to mention 'while responding to her 2015 report'.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm left confused by this Reuters report.

Firstly it says '2017 fatal shooting', then goes on to mention 'while responding to her 2015 report'.

Reuters have corrected the dates to 2017.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police/former-minnesota-policeman-convicted-in-fatal-shooting-of-australian-woman-idUSKCN1S62SY

And I have edited the OP in line with that correction.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

In two years as a police officer, Noor had three formal complaints against him, two of which, as of September 2017, are pending resolution. In a separate case from May 2017, he is being sued for allegedly assaulting a woman while on duty.

Begs the question of why he was on armed patrol service.

You think his case is unique in that regard?

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This verdict is all well and good. But it does not address the root of the problem, which is the hiring of totally unsuitable candidates to the position of police officer solely because of their ethnic minority. There were numerous reports about officer Noor's inability to control his temper and bad attitude towards women in general. But because Mayor Hodges was oh so PC she needed a Somali muslim on the force, even though there will have been other more suitable candidates passed over. This is inexcusable. Mayor Hodges is just as culpable for this murder as Noor was , but I don't see her standing trial. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police-shooting-profile/officer-in-minnesota-shooting-was-celebrated-in-somali-community-idUSKBN1A52SE

Among the most vocal critics was Michele Bachmann, a Republican former U.S. representative. On Wednesday she called Noor an “affirmative-action hire by the hijab-wearing mayor of Minneapolis,” the Star Tribune reported.

Not racist at all to assume he was hired because of his race. And the article you cited doesn't support your claim about Noor's attitude towards women in general.

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

always happy to oblige

Forklift driver Chris Miller, 49, told News Corp Australia he knew Noor as a nervous individual with a misogynistic attitude.

“He is extremely nervous ... he is a little jumpy ... he doesn’t really respect women, the least thing you say to him can set him off,” he said.

The neighbour said he had seen Noor yelling at local children in a playground, and that he believed the man had “little respect for blacks and kids”.

“He has an air like you just couldn’t really be around him,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/justine-damonds-shooter-officer-mohamed-noor-cast-out-by-minneapolis-police-department/news-story/f333feea868f917497fbed27af9bd0df

Not a question of whether he was suitable or not. The allegation was made that it his ethnicity overrlued any other considerations. Before the shooting did the police have information that showed he wasn't suitable? Any evidence that ordinary procedures were not followed? On the surface he seems to have led an exemplary life. One of 10 children, he graduated from college and earned his own way before becoming a policeman.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

OK once again. Here you go.

Former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor concerned psychiatrists and training officers about his fitness for duty long before he fatally shot Justine Ruszczyk Damond, new court records show.

http://www.startribune.com/judge-rejects-motion-to-seal-medical-records-in-trial-for-officer-who-killed-justine-ruszczyk-damond/492518991/

Fine. But is Noor the only police officer to ever serve despite concerns by psychiatrists and such? Again, I'm not question his suitability. I am questioning whether it was overlooked because of his ethnicity.

White cops shooting black people don't get convicted of murder/manslaughter.   Seems unfair, but it turns out they were just getting their colors wrong.  When a black cop shoots a white person, then the criminal justice system seems to work ok after all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He will probably be confined to a cell in a SHU. (Special Housing Unit) Due to the nature of the crime, ex- policeman and his ethnicity. He wouldn't last long in General Population. I am astonished he was convicted because in Amerika police are usually found not guilty. R.I.P. to his victim and the scale of Justice weighed down on him. I believe that 25+ civilian deaths were due to terrorist activity and over 500+ civilian deaths due to police gunning them down last year in total. I believe an individual last month was surrendering to the police unarmed and his hands up high. Yet, he had been shot 20 times. The DDR Stasi would have been proud of the Police actions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Not racist at all to assume he was hired because of his race. And the article you cited doesn't support your claim about Noor's attitude towards women in general.

Very true. And what percentage of American policemen that engage in shooting a civilian, do you think are minority? It is the minorities that need to be afraid of law enforcement. I have seen first hand how my black and Hispanic friends are treated by the police in the US. They are always presumed to be guilty of something. And the biggest issue is the way police treat Native Americans.

The good news here is the conviction. Not enough police who shoot unarmed civilians are found guilty. The entire law enforcement culture needs to change in the US, and they need to be taught to take someone down, and not kill them, unless their lives are truly in danger.

For every 1 million Native Americans, an average of 2.9 of them died annually from 1999 to 2015 as a result of a "legal intervention," according to a CNN review of CDC data broken down by race. The vast majority of these deaths were police shootings. But a few were attributed to other causes, including manhandling. That mortality rate is 12% higher than for African-Americans and three times the rate of whites. 

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/us/native-lives-matter/index.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

misogynistic

that's a sure big word for a fork lift driver!

back in Justine's homeland Australia; it took for a female Prime Minister, to make it a commonly known word...

Edited by tifino
  • Haha 1

He got what the poor guy deserved, but why hire him in the first place? Whoever hired him should also be penalised.

As for those other cops that murdered blacks, and got off scot free, that’s a damn shocker . America..up for some karma . Reap what they sow. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Spend much time in the Hood?

What did this white lady do wrong to deserve getting shot ?

It’s not about “ the white lady”. It’s about JUSTICE FOR ALL.

Sorely lacking , Biased to the core.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One is twelve times more likely to be shot by a police officer in the USA than in Australia. It's a vicious cycle - more guns in the hands of civilians, more reason for the police to be apprehensive.

We had 'guns in the hands of civilians' in the 50s, 60s, and 70s and we did not have the rash of trigger happy cops that we have had in the recent decades.  The cops working during my youth had a professionalism that simply doesn't exist in this day and age.  The training and the verdict of most courts which almost always rule in favor of the police have promoted a "Shoot First-Ask Questions Later" mind-set in the current generation of US cops. 
There are a lot of 'guns in the hands of civilians' here in Thailand, along with machetes and other objects that can be used a weapons.  And yet the Thai cops show restraint that is now unheard of in the US.  I've seen over and over again examples of Thai cops using verbal persuasion to disarm threatening, armed citizens.  The same situations immediately would invoke a 'pull you gun and shoot the citizen' reaction in America.  And this has led to a cop culture that simply chooses to shoot at pretty much anything - unarmed citizens included.  

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brickbat said:

He got what the poor guy deserved, but why hire him in the first place? Whoever hired him should also be penalised.

As for those other cops that murdered blacks, and got off scot free, that’s a damn shocker . America..up for some karma . Reap what they sow. 

"Another study at Washington State University used realistic police simulators of different scenarios where a police officer might use deadly force. The study concluded that unarmed white suspects were three times more likely to be shot than unarmed black suspects. The study concluded that the results could be because officers were more concerned with using deadly force against black suspects for fear of how it would be perceived"
- Wikipedia sourcing:  
Jackman, Tom (April 27, 2016). "This study found race matters in police shootings, but the results may surprise you". Washington Post. Retrieved November 16, 2017.

Sort of flies counter to the commonly accepted narratives?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, connda said:

"Another study at Washington State University used realistic police simulators of different scenarios where a police officer might use deadly force. The study concluded that unarmed white suspects were three times more likely to be shot than unarmed black suspects. The study concluded that the results could be because officers were more concerned with using deadly force against black suspects for fear of how it would be perceived"
- Wikipedia sourcing:  
Jackman, Tom (April 27, 2016). "This study found race matters in police shootings, but the results may surprise you". Washington Post. Retrieved November 16, 2017.

Sort of flies counter to the commonly accepted narratives?

Don't confuse them with facts!

It's the effect of social media, multi media, the speed and ease of information that has become a moderator.

This is used very effectively by PC individuals to advance their own agenda.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:23 PM, mfd101 said:

And you gained all this completely factual information from what reliable source?

Not really. Proof is in the pudding. Facts speak for themselves.

Not some research that could be spin. Lots of spin money can buy

Guest Jerry787

let me understand....
as i am poor in maths!

a black officer killing NOT ACCIDENTALLY an innocent white woman get convicted (which is right)
a white officer killing NOT ACCIDENTALLY an innocent black man or woman will be acquitted... 

White US democracy its equal to everybody, as long they got white skin ?