Rolled Oats

Badrabbit

goodness of the above, really depends on how much Sugars, and of what types of Milk you might swamp it over with?

anyways I supplement it with daily Metamucil (though Fibrogel is also plentifull from TescoLotus etc)

Some people with agendas might scare you from the Oats, because of the good old Gluten it provides you

goodness of the above, really depends on how much Sugars, and of what types of Milk you might swamp it over with?

anyways I supplement it with daily Metamucil (though Fibrogel is also plentifull from TescoLotus etc)

Some people with agendas might scare you from the Oats, because of the good old Gluten it provides you
Only mix with water.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

Oats are incredibly good for you. Not only for the fiber, they help reduce blood sugar levels, reduce cholesterol, reduce weight, and increase blood flow ( think erections). As the poster above said watch the sugars you put on them and the milk 

26 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Yes water is best, and I usually throw in a handful of frozen blueberries before I nuke them.

Oatmeal lover since breakfasts with father as a kid.  Don't nuke - Too Yin, devitalizes. I boil rolled oats for 20 mins with pinch of sea salt - Yang (if you know traditional Chinese dietary principles). Quick oats for 5 mins, Instant is easy but too small and oxidized.  I mix raisins and nuts only, maybe banana, no sugar or milk, and chew thoroughly to insalivate, helps full digestibility.  Frequent breakfast, carried me through over 40 years of intensely athletic big tree work, sports and martial arts life style. 72 and still kicking. Well, still alive and somewhat mobile anyway.

Edited by drtreelove
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

that's got me scared of eating them, why is it so difficult to eat healthy.

Its only one factor, in a comprehensive wellness program. What you eat, how you eat and chew, what foods and drinks you combine, what exercise you do, and what you don't do that may negatively affect and drag you down, are all important to consider.

Its only one factor, in a comprehensive wellness program. What you eat, how you eat and chew, what foods and drinks you combine, what exercise you do, and what you don't do that may negatively affect and drag you down, are all important to consider.
I've got myself into a position where I'm scared to eat and drink anything, everything seems to be bad for you, I walk fast for 1 hr per day, I'm 89kgs 190cms tall, 63yrs old, my fear of eating and drinking is growing, life is difficult but all I can do is do what I think is right.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is a very healthy source of fiber and good not only for bowel health but also in reducing LDL cholesterol.

Just don't put a lot of white sugar on it.

I eat it as muesli by mixing it (uncooked) with unsweetened yogurt and fresh fruits with a bit of honey. Much healthier than commercial Mueslis which ard processed and loaded with refined sugar.

Cooked, some people find it helps to sprinkle in cinnamon.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Oats are a healthy source of carbohydrates, but if you do not moderate your intake of carbs, in this case oats, your body will begin to store fat.

Your body will store excess calories as fat regardless of whether you took them in as carbs, fat or protein. While carbs provide energy more quickly than fats and proteins (too quickly in the case of processed/refined carbs) the body can and will break both fat and protein down into the glucose needed for cellular metabolism if you don't eat enough carbs....making the idea of a "no carb" diet rather pointless.

Just make sure your overall caloric intake doesn't exceed your needs and you'll be fine with rolled oats and similiarly complex carbs high in fiber.

• Like 2

On the milk issue, these days here, there's a local brand (137 Degrees) of almond milk that's available in most stores and comes in an unsweetened variety, along with a sweetened variety and several other flavors... Makes for a good alternative.

Supposedly made with U.S. grown almonds...but produced here in Thailand.

1030109464_2019-05-0110_50_21.jpg.43cc927c362e43791f1ee0f442ae7b64.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Your body will store excess calories as fat regardless of whether you took them in as carbs, fat or protein. While carbs provide energy more quickly than fats and proteins (too quickly in the case of processed/refined carbs) the body can and will break both fat and protein down into the glucose needed for cellular metabolism if you don't eat enough carbs....making the idea of a "no carb" diet rather pointless.

Just make sure your overall caloric intake doesn't exceed your needs and you'll be fine with rolled oats and similiarly complex carbs high in fiber.

I agree almost 100%, there is one exception if one is already has problems with insulin then cutting carbs as much as possible is good. Still one could eat rolled oats if other carbs are low, complex carbs are not a problem (unless taken in excess).

But for normal people carbs are just that fine, as long as the processed ones are avoided as best as one can.

The Wellman clinics, and over 60's health check ups, in the UK recommend porridge in the morning as a source of fibre and control of LDL.

I take mine in the morning (50g) with water, loads of cinnamon and a tsp of honey. Occasionally, I will have a dessert of natural yogurt with 20g of oats and mango or passion fruit.

• Like 1

yeah! as is, but in a puddle of yoghurt is pretty good...

if one cannot handle the bulkish hardness of uncooked oats; then why not simply add water to a bowl of the oats...

stick mit in the fridge over night; Aand by next morning it is a friendly mushy squashy mass easily swallowed.

But that really comes down to whether you want the absorbtion/hydrating expansion to happen in your stomach instead?

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Oats are a healthy source of carbohydrates, but if you do not moderate your intake of carbs, in this case oats, your body will begin to store fat.

yes but VERY VERY simplistic - any excess food source can & probably will be stored as fat

4 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

Oats are incredibly good for you. Not only for the fiber, they help reduce blood sugar levels, reduce cholesterol, reduce weight, and increase blood flow ( think erections). As the poster above said watch the sugars you put on them and the milk 

Regarding erections, why do you think the Highland Scots weigh down their sporrans worn at the front of their kilts after each hearty breakfast?

And what do they weigh the sporran down with? More oatmeal of course!!

"Aye, an' yon fiber's real guid fur ye as weel."

10 hours ago, eezergood said:

yes but VERY VERY simplistic - any excess food source can & probably will be stored as fat

But it is simple.  That's why it's very simplistic.  Surely you know you would have to eat a lot more cucumbers to get fat than oats?

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

+1 to the above.

A good yardstick is that any nutritional advice which makes eating a healthy diet seem very complicated and expensive is a load of $%&.

It is not complicated, it does not require vast amounts of reading and calculations, and it costs less than eating a bad diet does.

The human race would not have evolved as successfully as it did if our nutritional requirements were as complicated and hard to meet as some would have you believe.

What is true is that recent modernization has spawned a food industry that churns out addictive junk foods that are bad for us. Just avoid or minimize processed foods (including anything with refined sugar added) in favor of fresh foods and eat a varied diet.

Another point is that the best diets, like the best exercise regimens, are ones you can actually stick to over the long run. You are better off making small improvements that are permanent than sweeping changes you'll renege on. Some people enjoy investing a lot of time and thought into exactly what they eat, it's like a hobby for them and nothing wrong with it except when they start prosletizing to others -- because the vast majority of us are not so inclined and it actually discourages people by making it all seem so complicated and a lot of work.

Same applies to exercise buffs. Fine for them, but most people are simply not going to put in that kind of time and make work outs the focal point of their day; and most of us are thus better off with more modest efforts that fit into our daily routine.

Yes the best exercise regime is one that suits the daily routine, its not about what is best. I absolutely hate cardio exercises, though I try to get a few in. I don't dislike lifting weights and even like it at days. If I had to do cardio all the time I had given up long ago. Its all about finding something you like and checking how to fit it in your daily routine. I found that small changes and then more small changes work far better then going 100% crazy at once. 

I do advise people to exercise because I have seen the effects of people who are now old who have exercised and those who dont. I can say that the quality of life that those who stayed active is a lot better. Of course not in each and everyone but in general.

As for diet low carb works but its not the only gig in town everything works as long as you cut out the processed crap and try to cook yourself. Eating out on the streets in Thailand is nice but they put in a lot of bad oils and sugar. Sugar you can prevent by telling them no sugar please (in Thai and hope they listen and not forget as its a routine for them).

For me exercise is an hobby, does not mean i like doing it always or that it log in hours and hours. Food for me its a necessity to guard myself from eating too much. Everyone is different some people have a slower metabolic rate then others and different standards in how they want to look. 

My opinion to each his or her own and I only get annoyed by people who say they can't lose weight but are not willing to change things to lose it. 

• Like 2

Interesting that this thread came up.  I found big tins of Quaker plain instant oatmeal at the grocery store last week.  I'm eating some right now.  Add hot water, a pinch of brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and a few raisins.  The Quaker in the tin peaked my interest, for the quality, and shelf life.  I used to buy bags of the various types of rolled oats here.  Most would go south (mold, weevils, etc) in no time.  The instant makes for a quick breakfast, not sure how it compares nutrition wise to oats that have to be fully cooked...but hey.

I have three heaped tablespoons of rolled oats on top of two weetabix with skimmed milk every morning.

Don't know what it is doing to me but assume it is more good than harm.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, tifino said:

Well no, not relatively speaking.  If the OP is already eating regular cereal with milk & sugar, then making the switch to oats is a net improvement, even if the milk & sugar stays the same.  Reducing milk & sugar just means reducing calories, but the OP didn't mention if that was a diet goal or not. 

If sweetness is needed to make the oats more palatable, try a bit of sucralose or stevia syrup.

IMG_8672.JPG