Why do you want a pick up truck?

5 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

The good thing about having a pickup truck is you can haul stuff.

The bad thing about having a pickup truck is you can haul stuff.

I know exactly what you mean.  I a similar vein I used to have a small Oxy  acetylene set.  Very  (too easy)  to be borrowed and returned empty.  I later bought large cylinders,  it doesn't get borrowed any more.  IF someone needs to use it they are welcome to bring their job to me. That rarely happens. 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I have two 4 door pickups.  Unusual but she is an excellent driver and once had a commercial license for big rigs.  Newer models are as comfortable as a sedan.  Newer 4 door models also can be had with 1.8 to 2.4 liter engines that perform as well as anyone should need if primarily for personal use and they are economical.  Current models come with several air bags.  There is more substantial material around you in the event of a crash.  Space is available on the times you may want to bring things from the DIY stores.  I have only driven pickups since 1978 eventually settling on nothing less than the 4 door models.

31 minutes ago, jvs said:

Another childish comment,there are a lot of genuine reasons for people to buy a pick-up.

yes, but never forgetting where you are... 'twas written within the context that thais rule the roads

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jrbkk64 said:

Go and try the Ford Raptor. A pick up but with great suspension and engine. I love mine. I was on my way to buy a MB GLC Coupe but stopped at the Ford dealer to see if could try the Raptor. Was sold after a test drive and saved 2 million ????

I thought it was your girlfriend's car?

37 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

The good thing about having a pickup truck is you can haul stuff.

The bad thing about having a pickup truck is you can haul stuff.

And if you think that's bad (and it is), wait until they find out you have a trailer!

• Like 2

I drive a CRV, great car. Next one will be another CRV probably, maybe an Innova which is cheaper and roomier. On the rare occasions I need a pickup I borrow, or rent with or without driver. Anyhow, most of the bulky stuff gets delivered new to our house, and taken away by pickup (or trike) owners..

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 6:38 AM, Denim said:

Is it a macho thing ?

In a Village People sort of way .

People who live in villages with dirt roads and provide a gratis taxi service to their extended family find them very useful. And when the buffalo gets sick and needs to go to the vets it can be hell shoehorning them into a Vios not to mention the mess on the cloth seats.

Quite so, and when the boyfriend is a farang, the buffalo gets sick remarkable often.

Why? All of the pro's mentioned by other posters plus I regularly get roped in to transport 7+ plus monks and I believe it will be more easy to resell. In fact I already have a list of interested parties from the village. I might add that I rarely journey less than 300km round trip, usually 1000+. Once back in Pattaya the truck stays parked up and the scooter is used. I have been satisfied with a 2.2lr engine

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huayrat said:

The fastest your legally drive is 120kph and everycar can do that so no need for power. 

Tell that to all the Mercedes Benz drivers, not to mention all the Ferrari and supercar owners in Thailand.  ???? ????

A modern day pickup is a good choice in LOS, tax breaks, cheap fuel, 4 door has saloon car cab space with plenty of headroom plus you can haul stuff, and considering never knowing a road condition in any particular Thai area the truck deals with it via tough suspension components...

There are times I miss my Vigo 4x4 auto...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Exactly. Plus once they've been in a saloon car they get a bit snobby about going in a pick up. It's a face thing.

Here's one for transam.

Image result for Water Buffalo on a pick up truck

Easy compared to :

Image result for Buffalo in a car

Calves....????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

Exactly. Plus once they've been in a saloon car they get a bit snobby about going in a pick up. It's a face thing.

Here's one for transam.

Image result for Water Buffalo on a pick up truck

Easy compared to :

Image result for Buffalo in a car

Ahh, rural Thailand! Where else can compare?

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Three seems to be two common criteria of those foreigners owning a pick up. Pattaya and rural village. 

I live in a city, and have never stayed in pattaya more than 2 nights.

If I lived in Patts I would have a pickup. I would feel safer in one being broadsided by an outta their head clown on a m/bike, or even a car...

13 minutes ago, transam said:

A modern day pickup is a good choice in LOS, tax breaks, cheap fuel, 4 door has saloon car cab space with plenty of headroom plus you can haul stuff, and considering never knowing a road condition in any particular Thai area the truck deals with it via tough suspension components...

There are times I miss my Vigo 4x4 auto...

I like my old 4 door, FWD, 2.5 turbo diesel Ford Ranger.

I have a bad back and to get into the truck, I push the seat right back and climb UP into the cab. My neighbour had a Honda Civic and I have to be a contortionist to get DOWN into it. I can do it but I keep banging my head of the door frame and once I am in it is a bugger to get out of. My BIL has a Nissan Almera which a little easier to get in and out of.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I like my old 4 door, FWD, 2.5 turbo diesel Ford Ranger.

I have a bad back and to get into the truck, I push the seat right back and climb UP into the cab. My neighbour had a Honda Civic and I have to be a contortionist to get DOWN into it. I can do it but I keep banging my head of the door frame and once I am in it is a bugger to get out of. My BIL has a Nissan Almera which a little easier to get in and out of.

Our lad has a Civic, bash my head every time, screen in your face, difficult to get out of....

• Like 1

I've bought mine 17 years ago from my wife's uncle. Now with 310,000 km on the clock, it still runs like a Swiss watch, because I service it regularly. Oil change with filter every 5,000 km. 

No ABS, no airbag, my only "protection" is a heavy bumper in front and one in the rear. We have roads with potholes that are bigger than some countries, many roads wouldn't be possible with a sedan. 

I need to be able to put my bike on it which isn't easy but doable. I sit a little bit higher and that can only be good when having an accident compared to a little car.

Having a two-door pick up means lower tax, green license plates are very similar to those of farmers in other countries. When I go shopping, it's just convenient to have so much space, from time to time I have the whole family on my truck.

I know a shop where all mechanics buy their stuff and get all I need for almost nothing. Enough reasons to have a pick-up? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Tell that to all the Mercedes Benz drivers, not to mention all the Ferrari and supercar owners in Thailand.  ???? ????

Thanks, I will try to remember that next time I am driving on Highway 12 ????