Are scooters considered to be poor man's transportation?

4 minutes ago, Santogold said:

From the Thai point of view, yes, it is a poor-mans mode of transportation.

What I don't get, is why wealthy Thais don't buy luxury scooters. There's only PCXs, and Waves, and the odd Forza or Xmax. But they are still cheap. I have a 500,000 baht BMW scooter waiting for me at home in my country.

It's either PCX or car, it seems. Nothing in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

Quality farlangs ,  drive   quality  cars , hope immi pick up on this .

Cheap Charlies , ride scooters , pensioners on scooters , so sad.

You could not make that up.  Lol.

"Quality faring's "car drivers in stand still que's or in best way in a go slow :biggrin:, an trouble to park , unless living in the stick's where ever..., just same as I can not wear any gold I have in Thailand because the risk to meet trouble ...:wink:

1 minute ago, david555 said:

"Quality faring's "car drivers in stand still que's or in best way in a go slow :biggrin:, an trouble to park , unless living in the stick's where ever..., just same as I can not wear any gold I have in Thailand because the risk to meet trouble ...:wink:

Wear your gold  be a quality  farlang , flaunt it ,  the CCs  not have . 555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, elliss said:

Wear your gold  be a quality  farlang , flaunt it ,  the CCs  not have . 555

some of those CC shall wear mine then probably :sad:, as when I wear some a time , the girls warn me to be vigilant ….. so they know wat is outside as they cover their own gold bracelet's with sweat wrist sponge bands :unsure:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Maybe buy a Gold Wing?

That might brighten them up a bit.

LOL, in Norway, an expensive vehicle isn't considered to be a status symbol anymore. Because everybody can afford a nice car there. Just go online and arrange a new loan and pick up the new Beamer tomorrow.

People that feel the need to distance themselves from the working class, like leader role types, have been forced to do so by other means. For example in sports, cycling is very popular among the elite.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I find my life is much easier when I only have 20k baht tied up in my vehicle. If it gets damaged or stolen it is hardly a big deal, obviously that is not the case with a 4 million baht Mercedes. Plus servicing, insurance, and running costs are literally peanuts on those little putt putts.

I had a brand new CBR600RR once, it got knocked over twice whilst parked, both times costed over 100k to fix up as new which came out of my pocket (cracked fairings, damaged foot pegs, damaged fork leg, light housings, indicators, damaged engine casings, rear fairing and seat cowl smashed, etc.). Obviously nobody saw anything nor was a note left by the careless driver. It's Honda Waves for me from now on.

If I need to wear a suit somewhere, I'll take a taxi.

Remember that rich people don't get rich by spending money. They get rich by saving it. Many people with flashy cars probably have them on finance and almost certainly are not as rich as they would like you to think, whilst that business owner who drives a 30 year old Honda 90cc cub could well have 100 million in the bank.

"Remember that rich people don't get rich by spending money. They get rich by saving it."

errrmm no you will never get rich with that mindset. Nobody got rich by tucking away a few bucks here and there

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, madmen said:

"Remember that rich people don't get rich by spending money. They get rich by saving it."

errrmm no you will never get rich with that mindset. Nobody got rich by tucking away a few bucks here and there

I disagree - the few rich people I know never waste money. They chuck money into investment opportunities, but they certainly don't chuck money down the drain. A friend of mine in Hastings is a multi-millionaire purely by being born into a rich family, in 20 years I think he has bought me one pint, I've bought him dozens and paid for his Sunday roast dinner on several occasions!

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

I disagree - the few rich people I know never waste money. They chuck money into investment opportunities, but they certainly don't chuck money down the drain.

To make money you have to spend money and as a business person I guarantee thats true.  Tuck away every last bean and you will feel warm and fuzzy but absolutely not rich.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

All to do with status.

Lower status workers ride scooters and small motorcycles, mid management drive locally built cars, Senior management and HiSo people drive (or are driven in) imported cars.  

I manage a business, but consider a small motorcycle to be the best way to commute to the office - but my team is not impressed that the boss rides a bike.  I do have a car (locally built as I think the tax on imported cars makes them very poor value) - but it would add an hour to my commute to use the car.  So I value convenience over perceived status, but I'm not Thai.

Getting hot is also LoSo - and even an expensive BMW scooter is not air conditioned.

Also a BMW is for poor people in the hi-so world...they can't afford an imported car so they buy a locally build one which is cheaper and inferior than a Benz from Germany.

If you wanna be hi-so you buy an Audi because those are always imported.

My hi-so thai cousin had a new BMW X3, the thing always shaked on the highway and the garage couldn't fix it...so she went to the honda dealer and changed it for a nice new honda without issues...

Thailand might build BMW's these days but they lack the engineers to service them properly.

Edited by Youlike
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Also a BMW is for poor people in the hi-so world...they can't afford an imported car so they buy a locally build one which is cheaper and inferior than a Benz from Germany.

If you wanna be hi-so you buy an Audi because those are always imported.

My hi-so thai cousin had a new BMW X3, the thing always shaked on the highway and the garage couldn't fix it...so she went to the honda dealer and changed it for a nice new honda without issues...

Thailand might build BMW's these days but they lack the engineers to service them properly.

So who services the Honda?  Or are they easier because it's Honda?

• Like 1

It's mostly about status. Many of the people in those luxury places also don't drive themself, but they have drivers, so the cars you see in the parking lots aren't actually used much.

At these expensive places you will also often notice that they don't have proper parking spaces for motorbikes, but only for cars.

Once i stayed at such a place for a few days (5 star serviced apartments, monthly rent something like 150k THB up), i think it was only me and the employees who drove a motorbike there. The only motorbike parking space (not a designated space, but some free space where people parked) was behind the building and when i went inside i had to walk through a small corridor with rooms for dirty laundry, employee kitchen and so on, before i arrived in the lobby and at the lift.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nordude said:

I live in a luxury condo in Bangkok. It's just me and one or two other farangs who ride scooters. And those who work at the condo, of course. All the other residence have cars, mostly BMWs and Benzes.

I find it a bit strange, because you cannot get anywhere reasonably with a car in Bangkok, you will just be stuck in traffic. In countries like Italy or France, you can see smartly dressed business people riding home from work on their Vespas and MP3s, but never in Bangkok. I don't think I ever saw someone wearing a suit riding a motorbike in Thailand.

Are motorbikes considered only a poor man's transportation in Thailand, or what's the deal with this?

I think your idea of a luxury condo is The Base  or Aspire.