Are scooters considered to be poor man's transportation?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I have a very pretty face and mum said she didn’t want me on a bike because I might ruin it.

Mum,  meant you might ruin the bike . 555

Who cares what people think or say regarding how you commute ? it's your convenience that counts and don't give a hoot to the "nouveau riches" trying to act classy and snobbing scooters or whatever...don't go down to their low level of brainless criticism...

i think poor people still drive.  i prefer being chauffeured using executive car in L.A. or i call Grab.  i use a bike a lot in Los Angeles since it offers great exercise.  i walk in CM and take the bus/Grab since i support mass transit.  owing a car is so retro and selfish.  yes there are times when i miss  BMW and those winding canyon roads.  

"Are scooters considered to be poor man's transportation?"

No.  A motorbike is my preferred mode of transportation when in the city.  It beats automobile gridlock.  

Our neighbour has three bikes, BMW 1200GS, Harley tourer both bought new in last 3yrs, Honda Scoopy, and a 90s Mazda pickup. First two cost in vicinity 2.5 million+;  he takes the Scoopy to work and day-to-day running; his wife has a Suzuki Swift, they don't seem at all hung up on what other people think. Why worry about someone else's opinion?

When I retired and moved to Chiang Mai 4 years ago I bought a scooter. I thought it would be convenient as I live in the city. Never having ridden one before, I asked a Thai friend to teach me. He was reluctant, but helped.

He asked why I wanted a scooter as I had a car. I told him I thought it would be convenient. I told him I would practice after 10 PM as traffic was light. He told me not to, as at that time of night everyone on the road was probably drunk. 

I asked him how hard it could be? I saw little old ladies driving them all the time! He replied that if those little old ladies had cars, they would never ride a scooter!

I sold the scooter.

In the past 4 years, I've known  3 people who died in scooter accidents and 5 or 6 more who were injured. 

Get a car if you can afford one. 

Never mind stigmas. 

Motorbikes are, in fact, cheaper to buy, operate, repair, insure and register.  They are also more practical to drive and park, especially in crowded cities/urban areas.  With some exceptions, monied farangs included, those are the two, main reasons why they are so popular here, and in similar Asian countries.  They are also an excellent choice for a growing family, seating up to 4, possibly 5 people + 3 shopping bags - from BigC, of course. :giggle:

I live upcountry, suburbs.  My boring life generally unfolds within 5 kilometers radius from the house, so it's push bike or the Scoopi for me, and I could give a rat's what anyone thinks.  If it rains, or we need to go into the city proper, we'll take one of the cars.  'Cause poor Thai cops who live in teak wood houses just love to hassle poor folks on scooters. 

30 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

Get a car if you can afford one. 

In CM? Screw that. Motorbikes are great fun there and i rode my bicycle faster than the traffic moved on the way to the mountain every morning

I usually go down to the favoured lunch venue on my Vespa and love the ride, and more than once a local has made a point of saying what a nice scooter it is, even at traffic lights (and they are serious before the doubters chip in). Cheap as chips to run and I get around quickly. Normal length of a round trip is 40 minutes, cost about 6d in petrol. Today had guests so went Grab in a Honda. Round trip 2 hours and fare was 1,140.

I don't actually give a hoot what people think and my money is buying me far better things than a flash car can ever give to me.

It is a very personal thing. Immaturity means you have to have the image, maturity means you strike a balance.

RtS

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not really.  Pretty much all scooter drivers would rather be in a car....although I recognize a few have both.  The comfort, A/C, less prone to serious injury in an accident, hair not messed-up, the sun beating down on you, the rain beating down on you, carry more stuff....etc.  All this beats the convenience of parking and speed of arrival.  In general, people who can afford a car will have one.  And that's what everybody assumes. 

It just depends on how you set your priorities and of course how much flexibility you can allow yourself.

If a person has to arrive clean and dry in a suit in the office at a fixed time, then a car is the safer bet, even if it takes way more time.

A person like me on the other hand who usually doesn't have to arrive anywhere at a specific time can just wait until the rain is over, or i can decide to go shopping at Cental in the evening instead of at lunch if i feel it's too hot.

For me the convenience of parking and speed of arrival beats all the other points, but this is of course just my personal opinion which is definitely not shared by most Thais who seem to have endless time to sit in traffic.

18 hours ago, Nordude said:

LOL, in Norway, an expensive vehicle isn't considered to be a status symbol anymore. Because everybody can afford a nice car there. Just go online and arrange a new loan and pick up the new Beamer tomorrow.

People that feel the need to distance themselves from the working class, like leader role types, have been forced to do so by other means. For example in sports, cycling is very popular among the elite.

In case you didn't notice, Thailand isn't Norway.  ????

20 hours ago, elliss said:

Quality farlangs ,  drive   quality  cars , hope immi pick up on this .

Cheap Charlies , ride scooters , pensioners on scooters , so sad.

You could not make that up.  Lol.

A thinking man's post. I drive my scooter in Chiang Mai because it makes a lot more sense in CM traffic. I drive my car when I am travelling outside Chiang Mai. Please tell me what pigeonhole you have allocated to me.

18 hours ago, Kinnock said:

All to do with status.

Lower status workers ride scooters and small motorcycles, mid management drive locally built cars, Senior management and HiSo people drive (or are driven in) imported cars.  

I manage a business, but consider a small motorcycle to be the best way to commute to the office - but my team is not impressed that the boss rides a bike.  I do have a car (locally built as I think the tax on imported cars makes them very poor value) - but it would add an hour to my commute to use the car.  So I value convenience over perceived status, but I'm not Thai.

Getting hot is also LoSo - and even an expensive BMW scooter is not air conditioned.

Status is also indicated by vehicle colour. Black denotes professional. Which to me is crazy, I would never want to own a car that does double duty as a heat sink.

2 hours ago, myshem said:

Anything that is not at least a Benz or BMW is poor man transportation.

If you compare maintenance and repair costs on those brands against the Japanese brands, I'd call it stupid man transportation. More money than sense.

I am stingy person...That's why in a sense I can retired from the age of 30.
On the bike I was even on a trip from Phuket to Siem Reap and back
... me, my girlfriend and kid were 3 years old!!! unforgettable journey :))

One of the few advantages of living in Thailand is that the car is unnecessary expense.
I will not spend money on any piece of iron so that the neighbors

would have good opinions about me ... neighbors who working 12 hours

a day to park the car in front of the house for 98% of the time ...

Dangerous Thai roads ? I live in a balloon ... I and the people around me

are untouchable :))

5 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

In CM? Screw that. Motorbikes are great fun there and i rode my bicycle faster than the traffic moved on the way to the mountain every morning

Farlangs  on cheap jack , chinese  krap,,   how low can a cheap charlie go ..

I wear my Gold , with pride , proud to be rich , thai ladies love me more , sure..

5 minutes ago, elliss said:

I wear my Gold , with pride , proud to be rich , thai ladies love me more , sure..

I guess they could live near a Lotus or Big C to save on transport costs

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I guess they could live near a Lotus or Big C to save on transport costs

I prefer baht bus , more cost effective , 20 bht . 555 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:13 PM, Nordude said:

What I don't get, is why wealthy Thais don't buy luxury scooters. There's only PCXs, and Waves, and the odd Forza or Xmax. But they are still cheap. I have a 500,000 baht BMW scooter waiting for me at home in my country.

It's either PCX or car, it seems. Nothing in between.

The scooters need to fit between the cars stuck in the daily traffic jams so smaller is better. 

8 hours ago, elliss said:

I don't dispute some Thai ladies will love you more for being rich. I'm just wondering how much pride you will feel when you have your throat slit for the gold you wear.

It's smarter to keep a low profile in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

The scooters need to fit between the cars stuck in the daily traffic jams so smaller is better. 

My preference in scooters and women both.

20 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Do you know what an ETF is?

Educate yourself about them.

@RobMuir your comment about English teachers tells a tale about you mate. Right now I am one of them and loving every moment of it. Not so much my time at various offices at Morgan Stanley for almost decade before.

So you think you know what an ETF is... Impressive.

Couldn't agree more with the comments on how much time one can save by using a bike and parking it in town (or anywhere in Phuket where I stay) but I don't feel as safe on a regular scooter as I do on a proper motorbike.

For the pollution/air filtration part, I use an N95 mask under the helmet.

I don't care about hairstyle - have a nice head of hair and women keep smiling at me regardless of my grooming. Not that I'd give a rat's about it... Don't need to over-compensate about anything.

Having said that I'll -of course- take the car if I go anywhere with my wife locally or to the countryside.

Archived