Would you hire a housekeeper?

SoonOh

6 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, there seems to be an ugly bunch of male chauvinist pigs here. My wife has a job and we have to young kids. Since I am retired and getting lazy I have asked her to get a housekeeper 8 hours a week. Costs me about 5000 a month, or 2 % of my pension. Money well spent.

You pay her a lot.

9 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, there seems to be an ugly bunch of male chauvinist pigs here. My wife has a job and we have to young kids. Since I am retired and getting lazy I have asked her to get a housekeeper 8 hours a week. Costs me about 5000 a month, or 2 % of my pension. Money well spent.

There also seems to be some delusional posters. By my calculations, your monthly pension is 250,000 baht. If that's a government pension, please sign me up for citizenship.

• Haha 1

We have always had a maid / housekeeper. 

Before having kids someone would come over 1 day a week, do all the Washing & Ironing and clean the apartment (600 baht for the day)

Once our son was born we had a live-in nanny / maid who would do all the washing, ironing and cleaning and help out with our son whenever needed which was excellent if we needed to quickly pop out to the shops without our son or wanted a 'date night' etc (12,000 per month increased to 14,000 per month). 

We had a couple of hit-n-miss live-in's which we had to get rid of as they were pretty useless at their job roll. 

From the age of 4.5 our son has been in full time school (8:30 until 3pm) - we now have a maid to come twice per week who does the Washing & Ironing and cleans the apartment (800 baht per time).

Having hired help makes life much much easier for myself.... and also for my Wife. 

I'm also as lazy as hell and haven't done any washing, Ironing or cleaning for well over 20 years !!!... My Wife cleans and does the Ironing when necessary, but the maid does a far better job !

Edited by richard_smith237

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I seen an Ad ( seriously) recently for a "nude" housekeeper...might be an idea...can just see the expression on your mate's G/F's face when she shows up in the kitchen to begin her duties.

Yes....there was one on Craigslist until they stopped the personals. Pity that.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There also seems to be some delusional posters. By my calculations, your monthly pension is 250,000 baht. If that's a government pension, please sign me up for citizenship.

UN pension after 24 years of service in the highest professional grade. Colleagues with full 30+ years get a good 350 000. Call this a delusion if you wish, or google around.. A good stable professional career pays off. Ooh if your country of citizenship is a member of the UN you may try; but according to the Noblemaire principle you must belong to the best in your field.

Edited by KiChakayan

On 5/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, luckyluke said:

If it was for her a condition to move in with him, she is right to be irritated if he doesn't want to comply now. 

If it is a new demand, up to your friend to decide what he want to grant her and what not, depending how important she is for him. 

Is she saying 'cheap charlie'  a cover up for not wanting him to do more labour things at his age (67), but she doesn't want to mention age.

I told my mother not to worry let the maid clean it up.  I told the drill sergeant not to worry the maid will make my bed and he said, "Not in Vietnam."  Told my wife, "Don't sweat the small stuff the maid will clean it."  I had a maid as a child and in Vietnam and Thailand during the war and one now.  Doesn't everybody?  

maid.jpg

• Sad 1

The main reason I moved to Thailand is because I am too lazy to work.

I like having clean stuff, but am too lazy to clean. Plus it is very hot here.

So I have a maid, a pool guy, pay to get my cars washed and laundry done. Only have cooked three times in ten years. 

It it feels good to be looked after. A great part of living in South East Asia. 

I put the maids on 2 month contracts. Otherwise I find they start off well but gradually get lazier and lazier. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Obviously you don't suffer from a lack of self-esteem. I just wonder if it is really warranted.

Well, I was the best in my field, hence the fat pension you are so envious of.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:32 AM, CharlieH said:

Delusions of grandeur wants to impress others by having staff, been watching too many tv soaps !

Yep! Coming from a Rice-Patty and developing delusions of grandeur with the help of a Farangs wallet are probably the worst Thai wifes one can marry.

Certain Farangs also develop delusions of grandeur by hiring outside help for the household. How sweet were the "Colonial-Days", when the black "Boys" and the Indian "Servants" did all the work for the white "Masters".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

UN pension after 24 years of service in the highest professional grade. Colleagues with full 30+ years get a good 350 000. Call this a delusion if you wish, or google around.. A good stable professional career pays off. Ooh if your country of citizenship is a member of the UN you may try; but according to the Noblemaire principle you must belong to the best in your field.

Sad to realise that the most talented people on this globe (all working for the UN) have cost so much and have achieved so little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, I was the best in my field, hence the fat pension you are so envious of.

I don't envy anyone, and am comfortable with what I have myself. If your work for the UN did a lot of good, you've earned it.

The house is  1 floor, 3bed, 3 bath and sits on about 1 rai in Udon Thani area. For a healthy 67yo it is fun do things around the house and be active. GF, does not touch any thing. While visiting my friend, I washed my car and yes his GF said another cheap Charlie. 

9 hours ago, swissie said:

Yep! Coming from a Rice-Patty and developing delusions of grandeur with the help of a Farangs wallet are probably the worst Thai wifes one can marry.

Certain Farangs also develop delusions of grandeur by hiring outside help for the household. How sweet were the "Colonial-Days", when the black "Boys" and the Indian "Servants" did all the work for the white "Masters".

Do engineers sweep the factory at work in Switzerland?  Some people get paid for their brains some their brawn. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, swissie said:

In the West permanent servants have been replaced by temporary ones - Uber, Deliveroo, home delivery of groceries picked off the shelves by others - you name a domestic chore, it's been "outsourced"

• Like 1

We have a cleaner a couple of days a week, 300 baht a day, someone my wife has known for years.  Its well worth it for stuff we just don't have time or energy for.  With three kids this place can get wrecked quickly.

I think it is a bad idea to hire anyone less than 100% legal, like the Thai pig paying the Laos girl 200 per day for 14 hours work.. at his home and business.  OK for them, but seems like a good way to be charged with some serious stuff.  Paying employees cash is very illegal, too.. how would you like to pay 8 years of social security, plus interest and fines.. Also, if they are legal, it becomes difficult to get rid of them without getting fleeced.  Their boyfriends and family can be major sources of trouble.  Also, none of them will clean up high... they all do the floors great, but they are never meticulous.  And then they don't seem to grasp how utterly disgusting a sponge or rag can be... use the same one for the dishes and bathroom...my shirts cost 600-900 + in the US... pure cotton, would cost 2500 here... and they are just downright dangerous with the laundry.. bad detergent, reusing the water... oh, and I buy wrinkle free shirts.. never need ironing.  Well worth the premium.. wish my other investments paid a dividends like that.. even at 10 THB per shirt, it adds up.  Lived in CM for 4 years and never saw one of them clean the filter on the coin machines... always clogged with slimy, smelly stuff.. And in general, it just exposes you to all the drama the Thai women are known for... always a death, a hospitalization, an "xzdan" or a stolen smartphone... here use my phone, AIS gave it to me.. No one will steal it.. cost me about 20 THB per month to operate.... I was trying to find some cleanser powder today.. Tesco bigc didn't have it.. works so much better.. but there is always time for the gfs to do some closely supervised cleaning after sex.. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, marcusarelus said:

Do engineers sweep the factory at work in Switzerland?  Some people get paid for their brains some their brawn. 

Why wouldn't they? Do they think they are too special to sweep?

At my workplace everyone swept the floor on Fridays, regardless of their job.

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife complained that I was a "Burma" if I worked outside. I ignored her.

I ALMOST feel bad for laughing at this, that is some funny stuff.

I do agree with some of the posters tho, if your wife is old and grumpy, you could always find a hot nice housekeeper and keep her live in.

I'm not old and/or married, not into the idea. I usually let the girlfriends go be happy with someone else once they start being grumpy.

to be honest, the last 2-3 that I told to "find someone else to be happy with instead of being unhappy with me" went for quite the downgrade, practically ruined their lives

1st got pregnant twice in a row, two different dads, they both left before delivery

2nd pregnant by some other farang 2 weeks after we broke up (lol) now living abroad in Sweden in a loveless (and sexless) marriage

On 5/5/2019 at 5:17 AM, marcusarelus said:

I have met plenty of Farangs that have neighter "Brain nor Brawn". :wink:Still, their monthly pension is still 10x higher than the salary of their Thai-housekeeper. Enjoy while it lasts.

As the wealth/income gap between "The West" and SE/Asia is narrowing rapidly, 10 years from now Thailand is not going to be "cheap" anymore. As (most) western pensions are fixed, most Farangs will no more be able to pay for a Thai-housekeeper in the first place. Rats!

I have a Thai friend who comes once a week on Saturday to clean the house. 

I have three bed rooms and one room is always locked no one goes in there or has ever seen the inside. all my stuff of any value is in there so no problems. there is nothing of any value laying around. and CCTV cameras everywhere.     

I have another maid who comes once mid week and all she does is the dishes. she is from Pattaya so she is open to suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...